Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
jwwi
DIS Veteran

2 rooms POP vs AOA suite?

Hi,
I have stayed at Pop a few times, never at AOA. 4 adult women, relatives. Would you rather stay in two rooms at POP or one AOA suite? Why?
Obvious would be 4 beds at POP, but no small kitchen area. If you would pick AOA suites what area do you like the best, and why? I am drawn to cars area, because of pool and decor in suites. This is a birthday trip for my sister. I would love to rent dvc but our dates are not available.

thanks for your help

price difference 181.00 more for AOA

Last edited by jwwi; 10-13-2014 at 12:49 PM.
jwwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
Skullcrusher
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwi View Post
Hi,
I have stayed at Pop a few times, never at AOA. 4 adult women, relatives. Would you rather stay in two rooms at POP or one AOA suite? Why?
Obvious would be 4 beds at POP, but no small kitchen area. If you would pick AOA suites what area do you like the best, and why? I am drawn to cars area, because of pool and decor in suites. This is a birthday trip for my sister. I would love to rent dvc but our dates are not available.

thanks for your help

price difference 181.00 more for AOA
That's easy. 2 rooms wins over the family suite.
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

I recently booked an AoA suite for me and my 5 friends for Spring Break.

While it may be a bit tight the theming of the resort won me over. It is a beautiful place, the decor is magnificent. You can also walk over to the pop.

We booked a Nemo suite because of its location to the main building and food court, and we liked the theme the best. I also like the cars area for the pool and outer decor. This area is also good for lower key disney features, its not as bright. Basically I think the whole resort is REALLY nice.

A big plus for the AoA is the kitchenette, and there are 2 bathrooms and three beds all in one room.

Good Luck deciding!

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354

FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
disney world dreamer
Mouseketeer

i've stayed at POP and AOA.

i would go with 2 rooms at POP.
this way everyone has their own NORMAL bed.
and you could get connecting rooms.

AOA has amazing decor but the sleeping arrangements are not stellar for 4 adults. there is only one NORMAL bed. then you have a pull down bed and furniture that converts to beds.
have you ever slept on a chair/ottoman bed??? maybe one night would not be that bad but if you're staying for a week someone is not gonna be all that happy with their sleeping arrangement.
those types of sleeping arrangements are more for families that have younger kids since most kids would find it to be comfortable enough to sleep on for multiple nights.

if i had to stay in an AOA suite i'd pick the lion king. (i'm not a pixar fan. i'd rather stay in an area that had true disney decor rather than pixar decor. thats just me)

a kitchenette is only useful if you are actually going to use it.
personally though i'd just get a dining plan and then there would be no need for a kitchenette.

if you get 2 rooms at POP you'd be getting a mini fridge in each which is about all you need.

plus while the AOA suites give you 2 bathrooms 2 rooms at POP would mean 2 bathrooms as well.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

I just booked two rooms at POP yesterday after struggling with the same decision. The deciding factors were price and the lack of privacy when you have 4 adults. We are traveling with my adult niece and nephew and their 2 year old as well as my 2 teenage boys. One couple would have had no privacy being on a bed in the same room as the boys. Not a huge deal, but combined with the cheaper option being two rooms, we went with POP.

Can't really lose with either decision! Good luck!
mommytothreeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
supradupafast
Earning My Ears

I was in the same dilemma a few months ago when booking for 4 of us. I decided to go with two rooms at POP vs. 1 AOA Suite because it would give us 4 REAL beds, as oppose to 1 bed. Requested Connecting, so having that door between the rooms will be just like having a suite.
Oct 14' - Pop Century, Jan 15' - Disney Magic Cruise 7days + AOA + POR
supradupafast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
jwwi
DIS Veteran

thank you all for your input. I recently had a 4 night stay at POP in connecting rooms, 3 adults/2 children. My granddaughter was only 18months at the time, and I was so happy to be able to put her to bed and then relax in the 2nd room. I just loved the resort. I thought I might like the AOA as a change, but I am really leaning toward POP now. Being right near the giant Mickey phone was a plus, I just loved our location!
Old 10-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Keep in mind that Connecting Rooms are a request only, they do not guarantee you will get them. Odds are good you will get them, but sometimes they just don't have enough to go around.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
Marla1106
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwi View Post
thank you all for your input. I recently had a 4 night stay at POP in connecting rooms, 3 adults/2 children. My granddaughter was only 18months at the time, and I was so happy to be able to put her to bed and then relax in the 2nd room. I just loved the resort. I thought I might like the AOA as a change, but I am really leaning toward POP now. Being right near the giant Mickey phone was a plus, I just loved our location!
The giant Mickey phone is the best location. We have loved staying there each time.

I am going with my parents and my family. (dh and two boys) We decided not to go to AOA just b/c of the one real bed issue. Doesn't make it that practical. I'd rather have my own space also for my family and give my parents their own space. We did have connecting rooms the last time they went with us and that was really nice, but not needed.
Marla1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Have you ever - as an adult - slept on a pull-out couch?
Even worse - slept on a table?

2 rooms at Pop win!!! Totally!!!! We had to leave AoA due to sleep surfaces in the suite which were designed for a small child.

Sorry - I wish I could have been more positive.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #11
jwwi
DIS Veteran

real beds=win! Pop for sure. I am not really concerned about the connecting rooms. I was so happy to have it with the children, it would be a bonus with the four of us. Thank you again for all of the input, I totally agree with having your own space with being with your parents.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #12
bluezy
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure why people say the beds at AoA aren't "real" beds. The table bed has a normal mattress on it and the sofa bed has a much thicker mattress than your average sofa bed. We had a suite last summer and our 25 yo DS slept on the table bed and said it was as comfortable as any hotel bed he's slept in. And our 15 yo DS slept on the sofa bed and had no complaints (and he complains about everything). Both boys are 5' 10". And at one point during our stay, our adult son, 2 teenagers, and a tween were all laying side-by-side on the sofa bed watching TV. The table bed and sofa bed are standard double beds (or *very* close to it). I tried each one of the beds and thought they were comfortable -- granted, I didn't sleep in them, but I did rest/relax in each one for a little while during the trip. Ironically, I found the queen size bed in the master bedroom to be the most uncomfortable -- it was much firmer than I like and I had sore hips after 2 nights. I needed to add a few layers of blankets under the bottom sheet to soften it up.

All that being said, with 4 adults, I'd probably go with 2 rooms at Pop so each person has their own bed (or I'd take an air mattress to use at AoA). The microwave came in handy for us to make popcorn and reheat leftovers and DH liked having a coffee maker in the room at AoA, but we've survived plenty of trips without either one of those things.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #13
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

If it were me and your guest dynamics I would pick two rooms at POP.

To clarify AoA suites have a queen bed in bedroom, a double murphy bed in dining area and a double sofa bed in living area. I took an agent tour (Lion King section) and tried the murphy bed and it felt just like a real bed. AoA does NOT have fold out ottomans and chairs - that is at All Star Music. The two living space beds at AoA have a good distance between them while the fold out furniture at Music is side by side. No comparison in the two resort's suites in beds or layout.

Comparing 2 rooms at POP and AoA -
- Both have two full bathrooms (note at AoA, one bathroom has sink in it's own area and bedroom bath is all in one room)
- POP = 4 double beds, AoA = 1 Queen, 2 double beds
- Both have 2 televisions
- Fridge, POP will give you 2 mid size fridges, AoA will give you 1 slighter larger fridge. Overall POP gives you more fridge space.
- AoA gives you a coffee maker and microwave - are they deal breakers? You can always bring a small inexpensive coffee pot and there are micro in the food court.
- AoA has pools above and beyond, if you are doing lots of pool time you might want to choose here, but that would be the only difference amenity wise.
- If you stay at POP you can still walk over bridge to AoA to enjoy the grounds and neat decorations and eat at their food court. Even take the bus from there if you like. You can not use the pools.
- AoA = love Cars section. The interiors are less cartoon like in design, the outdoor imagineering is awesome, location is good to main hub and the pool is really well done with cabanas.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !

Last edited by HopperFan; 10-16-2014 at 09:11 AM.
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:52 PM   #14
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

We had this same dilemma. We chose Pop. For us, it came down to price (which for eleven nights was substantial) and our two kids are 18 and 20 and much preferred the idea of real beds that both have a view of the television over the pullout and murphy bed.

I was so excited to stay at AoA but realized that for this trip, two rooms was best.

Were my kids younger, I would have gone with the suite since the possibility of not getting connecting rooms is very real.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #15
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

To answer the bed comfort issue --- I am no longer 35! I would bet that those who can tolerate couches or table beds are much closer to that age group!

Be thankful for a back, neck, & legs that work!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: