Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #16
smileyk8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabetha
We always wear it the next day - so I'll be trucking around in it while trying to catch a glimpse of my husband's Goofy effort.

On a related note, we always say "Congratulations" when we see another runner with a medal. If we do that to you, it would be super nice if you said "thanks, you too!". It's friendly.

I can't tell you how many fellow runners snub us when we do this at WDW or DL. It's so weird.
That's one thing I loved about running in Disney- people congratulate you or at least notice! I'll always say well done, it's not really the done thing in the UK!!!!! I hope there are less snubbing people this year for you,
Boston Marathon 2009 4hrs 22minsPrincess half marathon 2009 1hour 56mins, 57secs Walt Disney World Marathon 2010 4hrs 7minsRoyal parks half 2010 1:52:19WDW Wine and Dine 2013 1:50:16
smileyk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:54 AM   #17
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabetha View Post
We always wear it the next day - so I'll be trucking around in it while trying to catch a glimpse of my husband's Goofy effort.

On a related note, we always say "Congratulations" when we see another runner with a medal. If we do that to you, it would be super nice if you said "thanks, you too!". It's friendly.

I can't tell you how many fellow runners snub us when we do this at WDW or DL. It's so weird.
I am suprised at that! That is rude!
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 05:02 AM   #18
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Last year after the half - which was my first - I was so proud that I did something I kind of only thought of in the past and it was a plus that the medal was so beautiful looking! Being as it was my first, I was spoiled at its grandness and realized that that is the medal that stands out against the rest.

I wore my medal back to the hotel and we went out for breakfast. Because I never went back to my room right away, I wore the medal at the buffet. I was suprised at all the congratulations I got. I didn't expect it because I didn't think anyone cared. People began asking me questions about the race.
After breakfast I took it off and the next night (sunday) I went on a bus ride to Disney Villiage and to be frank, I was sorry I didn't wear my medal there. I thought it would be kind of cocky to wear your medal outside of walking back to your hotel room. I didn't get the idea that it was part of your hard word to show it off. I truly enjoyed looking at all the medals and tried my best to congratulate everyone.
Met a Goofy medaler on the bus and we chatted and a very fit man in a wheelchair wearing his Goofy. We chatted about the race. Later a man came up to me, who overheard our conversation on the bus and told me he was signed up for the half. He never did it, he actually scared himself out of doing it because he thought he would be swept. He told me after listening to us discuss the race on the bus, he really felt sorry that he never gave it a go but next year (this year) he would do it!
In Disney Villiage I saw the 5k medals (this year they are much better looking I think), Donald Ducks, Mickey Mouses, Goofy's and Chip and Dales. I thought, next year I will wear my medal - whichever it is - around. Its fun to discuss the race with others....and it is not cocky as I originally thought. Its a way of saying 'I did it' and it makes people want to ask you questions about it.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #19
KateB
Mouseketeer

When DH & I ran the half in 2011 we wore our medals all day. I was proud and wanted everyone to know. We flew out on Sunday and I wore my tech shirt. I thought the medal would be a little weird getting on a plane. We did see lots at the airport with their medals and shirts on.
August 2012- 3 year Anniversary- Saratoga Springs!!!!

KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #20
Disneyland_emily
I soo need to get that
I *knew* there was a reason I still had faith in people
I can't sleep unless I say goodnight to Drew

I personally think its perfect for race day (must flaunt the bling!) great for day after then gets to be too much on day 3/4/5

For DLR I did have my medals (DLR & C2C) on day 3 and did wear them for my 'celebratory' character breakfast (since circumstances prevented scheduling it earlier) but didn't throughout the park..

IMO wearing 'old' race medals on the plane/to the expo of a new race was tacky.. Wear the previous race shirts but leave the medals home safe...

-em
Old 01-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #21
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

I'll usually wear them in the parks for the rest of my stay. The only two I've worn home on the plane are my first half, and my first (and only) marathon medal. Except for those two I pack them carefully in my checked bag, and keep my fingers crossed they make it home.

Pam and DH Mike Wondering our way to Hawaii 10/14/2012

Pam and DH Mike (Retiring) through the Canal again 05/2015
Bookwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #22
helloirishkitty
DIS Veteran

I wore my TOT medal (the only disney race I've done) to the afterparty and that's it. I saw a lot of people walking around with them the days following. We stayed until Friday (when the race was the previous Saturday night) and still saw people wearing them
Old 01-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #23
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyland_emily View Post
IMO wearing 'old' race medals on the plane/to the expo of a new race was tacky.. Wear the previous race shirts but leave the medals home safe...

-em
Ehhh - really folks wearing last year's medals at the expo? I have not seen that.

I carried my 4 Goofies with me to Orlando in 2010 and packed them in a fanny pack. My DW handed the pack off at mile 25 and I crossed the line hold the 4 Goofies in the air. No way did they ever hang around the neck except for the post race photo with #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloirishkitty View Post
I wore my TOT medal (the only disney race I've done) to the afterparty and that's it. I saw a lot of people walking around with them the days following. We stayed until Friday (when the race was the previous Saturday night) and still saw people wearing them
I think I would be with you on the ToT.... I think the time around the neck is commiserate with the distance under foot. That may just be me.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/

Last edited by cewait; 01-06-2013 at 07:40 PM.
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #24
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

I think I would wear my medal all day sunday - monday I don't know - with the exception that I might go to that drinks around the world..we will see.
First I have to get that medal.

Meanwhile, I have never seen anyone wear an old medal to an expo...not in any race...I will have to pay close attention when I am there. If you earned it and you want to show that you did it last year and are back again than thats fine. I am pretty sure I wouldn't travel with any of previous years medals for fear of losing one. I can see myself saying 'hmmm, did I check under the bed? Where could it have gone to?'
Old 01-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #25
cfelix2k
Earning My Ears

The longest I've ever worn any of mine was until I got home or the hotel. After that they were packed in my carry on for the trip home. If I'm able to walk Sunday I'm considering downtown disney and I will wear all 3 but I'm not sure about the airport monday.....hmmm
cfelix2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #26
stasijane
Crazed one

It comes off as soon as I get back to my room after the race.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #27
LoveMyMoos
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
Wait, you mean I eventually have tom take mine off? I will be THAT person wearing it a liiiiittle too long. But when I get that baby there is no way it's coming off any time soon
This!! Do you know what I have to DO to earn this medal(of course you do, you're doing it too)? I'll probably still wear it when I take my kids to school the following Wednesday. "Oh silly me, I keep forgetting to take off the medal I got for running hat half marathon on Sunday. You know that's 13.1 miles right?"
Nov 2013 POFQ Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon Jan 2014 Paradise Pier DL Tink 1/2 Marathon Feb 2014 Contemporary Glass Slipper Challenge
LoveMyMoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #28
El&Asmom
DIS Veteran

The day of the race and that's it. They are beautiful, but they are heavy.

3/96 Frist trip with dh. Offsite
2/05 DD1s first trip at 19 months AKL
9/06 DD2s first trip at 9 months CSR
6/07 Bought into HH DVC!
8/07 Addonitis at SSR
9/07 BWV/SSR
1/08 POR/OKW- NAVC
El&Asmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:04 AM   #29
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyMoos View Post
This!! Do you know what I have to DO to earn this medal(of course you do, you're doing it too)? I'll probably still wear it when I take my kids to school the following Wednesday. "Oh silly me, I keep forgetting to take off the medal I got for running hat half marathon on Sunday. You know that's 13.1 miles right?"
The Disney medals are by far the most handsome medals out there. However they really are quite heavy in comparison to other medals...but you are right! Wear it with pride for the length of time you can stand it around your neck, plus its a handsome medal as I mentioned.

Edit reasons: I actually can only speak for the Donald Duck medal as so far thats the only Disney medal I have...from last year. But I am assuming the Mickey and the Goofy are heavy too. But that DD half marathon medal is so handsome! - oh yeah I already said that
Old 01-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #30
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El&Asmom View Post
The day of the race and that's it. They are beautiful, but they are heavy.
I try to remember to bring shirts with collars because the ribbons are really harsh on my neck- but I wear other stuff around my neck at the parks so the weight doesn't bother me.

Pam and DH Mike Wondering our way to Hawaii 10/14/2012

Pam and DH Mike (Retiring) through the Canal again 05/2015
Bookwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: