Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #16
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by guava View Post
I just upgraded to Elite. Do my spectators have to sign up for it too? And how do they find my live tracking? I want to try this out during tomorrow's run.
Great idea! Play with it before going out. All they need to do is know your ID on RK. It's been a couple months since I was in there. It is not 100% obvious, until you have done it once. Let me know if you cannot find the page and I will dig into it again. Note it can take a minute or two for you to show up live. You can play from the couch to see if you pop up, then walk to the mail box and back.. your computer should show the trip.

OH one other battery tip. Turn the screen off (the top button on the iPhone) after starting the run. That will also save on battery life.

I am trying the MapMyRun app this AM to see how bullet proof it is. My brother did not remember RK and signed up for it. Want to keep the sherpas less confused.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #17
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle2211

I use Runkeeper but question about the Elite--does it have a feature where you can hear "cheering" or something when someone comments on your status on facebook? I saw something like that for Nike + and I think I would like it if the Elite did that too.
No cheering on Runkeeper. It's only on Nike+.
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #18
magicLAL12
Mouseketeer

Again, I always seem to ask silly questions, so please bear with me...

This Runner Tracker offered by Disney.. does the runner have to text his/her spectators manually? Or does the service automatically send split times to the spectators without the runner having to do anything (other than having their phone on them)?

Just a Running Couple that Refuses to Grow Up.
June 2012: College Graduation Celebration; Animal Kingdom Villas, Kidani Village.
January 2013: My First Marathon; 20th Anniversary WDW Marathon; Boardwalk Villas
Next up: January 2014: Hooked..We're Running again; Boardwalk Villas, split-stay

magicLAL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #19
chris84bond
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicLAL12 View Post
Again, I always seem to ask silly questions, so please bear with me...

This Runner Tracker offered by Disney.. does the runner have to text his/her spectators manually? Or does the service automatically send split times to the spectators without the runner having to do anything (other than having their phone on them)?
DisTracking is done by the B chip on the bib. At the 5/10/half?/20 mile markers, there are raised "track's" you run over that mark your time. Their system then sends the associated text/email to the spectator. No phone needed on the runners part

The main thing is you need to sign them up for it or have them sign up to get the alerts for you.
chris84bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #20
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris84bond View Post
DisTracking is done by the B chip on the bib. At the 5/10/half?/20 mile markers, there are raised "track's" you run over that mark your time. Their system then sends the associated text/email to the spectator. No phone needed on the runners part

The main thing is you need to sign them up for it or have them sign up to get the alerts for you.
Or the 5, 10 and 15K mats in the half.

A CRITICAL thing that folks who sign up must do... When signing up, the phone or email account signed up will receive a confirmation message. you MUST respond to the message or you will not be able to receive the updates.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #21
JeffW
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Not unless it is new. I am a runkeeper elite member.

For those who do not think runkeeper or other phone apps will work asa long as you are on course...

Turn OFF the WiFi and 3G/4G antennas. The battery will last longer than the length of the marathon time limit, by a large margin. It's amazing how many folks do no know you can shut down some of these antennas.
If you are using RunKeeper Live for real time updates, however, only turn off wireless and NOT 3G/4G. It needs a data connection to keep updating the RunKeeper servers
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #22
JeffW
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by guava View Post
I just upgraded to Elite. Do my spectators have to sign up for it too? And how do they find my live tracking? I want to try this out during tomorrow's run.
A couple of things. In the Settings menu of the app itself, you need to select the check box for "RunKeeper Live", so it will push data to the server. Unless your family has RunKeeper accounts, you'll also want to go into "Activities Viewable By" and select "Everyone". Then give your family the web address for your RunKeeper page (runkeeper.com/user/YOURID where you replace YOURID with your username). Make sure you have GPS enabled on your phone. I definitely recommend a trial run or two, as it took me a view attempts to get the settings right.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #23
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
If you are using RunKeeper Live for real time updates, however, only turn off wireless and NOT 3G/4G. It needs a data connection to keep updating the RunKeeper servers
My bad, you are correct.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #24
Bephus
DIS Veteran

One thing I noticed in the free app, if you are not sure about the expense, you can do a one-month trial to upgrade for $5 instead of the one-year $20. Yes, that is a lot more if you do end up doing it for the whole year, but if only interested in this one run it could be cheaper option.

Also, if you have the Find my Friends app DH thinks it can work in a similar way. Although that is only on iPhones I believe.

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #25
JeffW
Earning My Ears

Quote:
A couple of things. In the Settings menu of the app itself, you need to select the check box for "RunKeeper Live", so it will push data to the server. Unless your family has RunKeeper accounts, you'll also want to go into "Activities Viewable By" and select "Everyone". Then give your family the web address for your RunKeeper page (runkeeper.com/user/YOURID where you replace YOURID with your username). Make sure you have GPS enabled on your phone. I definitely recommend a trial run or two, as it took me a view attempts to get the settings right.
Ok, I'm going to edit my own suggestion, as my wife tried to track me and something has changed in the last month or so. If you just go to runkeeper.com/user/YOURID , and you aren't signed in to a runkeeper account, it just shows summary information and asks if you want to sign up. It appears that the solution is to send people to runkeeper.com/user/YOURID/activity I'm going to have the kids go out for a Mickey Mile practice now, so I'll see if that works
Old 01-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #26
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KippWade View Post
I'm greatly disappointed that tracking information isn't up. Several of my co-workers were asking about it this year, as they tracked me last year.

I took a peek back in my Blog, and I noticed that I posted my tracking information on December 28th. So we are later this year in getting this information, if it comes at all!

A couple of coworkers follow me online, so I let them know if nothing is posted this weekend or before I leave work on Tuesday, I'll post it up so hopefully they can share it with those that are interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
But wasn't the race a week earlier last year? If so, the timing is still about the same.
Yes, the race last year was January 8...which was also why the Christmas decorations were still up. I'm expecting them to post the tracking information early this week.

Last edited by Ariel484; 01-05-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #27
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bephus
One thing I noticed in the free app, if you are not sure about the expense, you can do a one-month trial to upgrade for $5 instead of the one-year $20. Yes, that is a lot more if you do end up doing it for the whole year, but if only interested in this one run it could be cheaper option.

Also, if you have the Find my Friends app DH thinks it can work in a similar way. Although that is only on iPhones I believe.
Google phones have Latitude.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #28
magicLAL12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris84bond View Post

Oh, I see. That's nice, I thought you would need to have a phone (which I wasn't planning on carrying). Thank you for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Or the 5, 10 and 15K mats in the half.

A CRITICAL thing that folks who sign up must do... When signing up, the phone or email account signed up will receive a confirmation message. you MUST respond to the message or you will not be able to receive the updates.
Good advice, thank you!

Just a Running Couple that Refuses to Grow Up.
June 2012: College Graduation Celebration; Animal Kingdom Villas, Kidani Village.
January 2013: My First Marathon; 20th Anniversary WDW Marathon; Boardwalk Villas
Next up: January 2014: Hooked..We're Running again; Boardwalk Villas, split-stay

magicLAL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #29
stitchfan18
DIS Veteran

I hope the runner tracking is far separated from all the computer issues at disney as of late. I'm beginning to wonder if the delay has to do with computers, it is much closer to the race than last year.

stitchfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #30
guava
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Ok, I'm going to edit my own suggestion, as my wife tried to track me and something has changed in the last month or so. If you just go to runkeeper.com/user/YOURID , and you aren't signed in to a runkeeper account, it just shows summary information and asks if you want to sign up. It appears that the solution is to send people to runkeeper.com/user/YOURID/activity I'm going to have the kids go out for a Mickey Mile practice now, so I'll see if that works
Thanks! When I was playing around with it I couldn't figure out how to view without signing up. I'll try activity and see if that works.
guava is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: