Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
PCFriar80
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: BCV/CT
Posts: 864

Question Marathon Runner Tracking??

I saw this question embedded in another thread but can't seem to find it to know if a response was posted so apologize for reasking if it was. Anyway, does anyone know the site or have the link for friends and family to track a runner's progress? I scoured the RunDisney site but nothing popped up for me.
Thanks!
PCFriar80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
rocio
DIS Veteran
 
rocio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 537

It's not up yet. (In)patiently waiting.
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
irishtwins1112
Mouseketeer
 
irishtwins1112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 354

From Rundisney:

Runner Tracking


Family and friends will be able to track participants with live online runner tracking for the half marathon. Participants will have the opportunity to send split times via email, text messaging, and PDAs by registering for this service on the website. You can also sign up for runner tracking at Disney's Health & Fitness Expo.

Check back later for runner tracking information.
__________________
Me DH DS 3 DS 2
irishtwins1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran
 
LSUfan4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mandeville, La
Posts: 3,183

Just another example of how Universal Studios is light years ahead of Disney. For their marathon, oh wait....nevermind.
__________________

LSUfan4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
PCFriar80
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: BCV/CT
Posts: 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins1112 View Post
From Rundisney:

Runner Tracking


Family and friends will be able to track participants with live online runner tracking for the half marathon. Participants will have the opportunity to send split times via email, text messaging, and PDAs by registering for this service on the website. You can also sign up for runner tracking at Disney's Health & Fitness Expo.

Check back later for runner tracking information.
Thanks for the quick responses everyone!
PCFriar80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
JeffW
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 73

I'll put in my plug here for RunKeeper Elite (I use it on Android) if you carry a smart phone with you.

With a subscription ($20 for a year), you can have it updating your progress live on their website, and anyone else with a smart phone can watch your progress. I like it for races, but my wife also likes it so she knows where I'm at during long runs.

I don't think Disney charges for their tracking like other marathons (Rock n Roll for example), so that's a benefit.
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Ariel484
DIS Veteran
 
Ariel484's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,798

I am guessing the link will be up early next week. It worked really well for last year's full. Tip from me: sign up so that the splits are emailed to whoever is following you, and sign yourself up to get them as well! It's a nice keepsake.
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
robynslp
Mouseketeer
 
robynslp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Coastal NC
Posts: 97

Didn't have any runners in wine and dine but had my sisters family in the Tower of Terror. Because of the time of the race, she didn't put us on the run tracker but I was able to watch their times in what seemed to be close to real time. I was able to txt my nephew who was 30 mins ahead of his family the estimated finish times of everyone else. I'm not sure what the link was, but I grabbed it from the runDisney Facebook. Not sure if that was a beta or if they've used it again. It was great.
robynslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
rocio
DIS Veteran
 
rocio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484
I am guessing the link will be up early next week. It worked really well for last year's full. Tip from me: sign up so that the splits are emailed to whoever is following you, and sign yourself up to get them as well! It's a nice keepsake.
Also, if you will run with your phone sign up to get texts. That way you get alerts about your own pace. I usually use runkeepr but wanted to save my battery life to take pictures. So the run tracker texts gave me my paces. It also gave me a finish time at the end.

Another good idea is to track other runners in your party in case you get separated. I was able to cheer on my friend as she crossed the finish line 15 minutes before me. It inspired me to keep going.
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
KippWade
Mouseketeer
 
KippWade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 152

I'm greatly disappointed that tracking information isn't up. Several of my co-workers were asking about it this year, as they tracked me last year.

I took a peek back in my Blog, and I noticed that I posted my tracking information on December 28th. So we are later this year in getting this information, if it comes at all!

A couple of coworkers follow me online, so I let them know if nothing is posted this weekend or before I leave work on Tuesday, I'll post it up so hopefully they can share it with those that are interested.
__________________
Lighter, Stronger and Faster for 2013!
WDW 1/2 Marathon - Jan 7, 2012 3:48:49 | Indianapolis Monumental 1/2 Marathon - Nov 3, 2012 3:37:29
WDW 1/2 Marathon - Jan 12, 2013 4:00:29
My Blog - 100 Pounds/1 Year
I'm also on RunKeeper as KippWade!
KippWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
belle2211
DIS Veteran
 
belle2211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Right behind the Magic Kingdom
Posts: 1,901

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
I'll put in my plug here for RunKeeper Elite (I use it on Android) if you carry a smart phone with you.

With a subscription ($20 for a year), you can have it updating your progress live on their website, and anyone else with a smart phone can watch your progress. I like it for races, but my wife also likes it so she knows where I'm at during long runs.

I don't think Disney charges for their tracking like other marathons (Rock n Roll for example), so that's a benefit.
I use Runkeeper but question about the Elite--does it have a feature where you can hear "cheering" or something when someone comments on your status on facebook? I saw something like that for Nike + and I think I would like it if the Elite did that too.
belle2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
JeffW
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle2211

I use Runkeeper but question about the Elite--does it have a feature where you can hear "cheering" or something when someone comments on your status on facebook? I saw something like that for Nike + and I think I would like it if the Elite did that too.
Unfortunately, I don't know. I start the program and then tuck it away in my water belt for the whole run. I always have my phone on silent so I don't use any of its audio features.
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #13
rocio
DIS Veteran
 
rocio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by KippWade

I took a peek back in my Blog, and I noticed that I posted my tracking information on December 28th. So we are later this year in getting this information, if it comes at all!
But wasn't the race a week earlier last year? If so, the timing is still about the same.
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #14
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle2211 View Post
I use Runkeeper but question about the Elite--does it have a feature where you can hear "cheering" or something when someone comments on your status on facebook? I saw something like that for Nike + and I think I would like it if the Elite did that too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
Unfortunately, I don't know. I start the program and then tuck it away in my water belt for the whole run. I always have my phone on silent so I don't use any of its audio features.
Not unless it is new. I am a runkeeper elite member.

For those who do not think runkeeper or other phone apps will work asa long as you are on course...

Turn OFF the WiFi and 3G/4G antennas. The battery will last longer than the length of the marathon time limit, by a large margin. It's amazing how many folks do no know you can shut down some of these antennas.

I also sign up for alerts but do not depend on the timeliness of their arrival. Yes, the last couple years have been great, but it has not been very long since they were spotty and not very dependable.

The great thing about an app with live tracking is that your crew can watch you come down the road from their phones. My sherpas will make sure they are ready to watch about a half mile before their location.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #15
guava
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa
Posts: 115

I just upgraded to Elite. Do my spectators have to sign up for it too? And how do they find my live tracking? I want to try this out during tomorrow's run.
guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.