DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
buckeyejennifer
Mouseketeer

Questions about making an offer

Hi Everyone!

We are current DVC owners and are interested in buying some resale points. We have found a contract that we like and are interested in making an offer. The contract only has a few points remaining for 2013 and full points for 2014. If we offer the asking price (which we think is fair), would it be reasonable to ask that the seller pay 2013 dues (since they've already used the majority of the points AND the points will have been due long before the process is completed)? Would it be also worth asking them to pay closing costs? This is all new to us, so I thought I'd ask the experts before moving forward. Thanks!

1975 (off site)*1980 (Buena Vista Palace)*1988 (Treehouse Villas)*1993 (Treehouse Villas)*1994 (Port Orleans)*1995 (Treehouse Villas)*2008 (Old Key West)*2009 (Poly/Disney Wonder)*2010 (BWV/Disney Wonder)*2011 (BLT/Disney Dream)*2011 (Poly)*2012 (Yacht Club)*2014 (BCV)
buckeyejennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyejennifer View Post
Hi Everyone!

We are current DVC owners and are interested in buying some resale points. We have found a contract that we like and are interested in making an offer. The contract only has a few points remaining for 2013 and full points for 2014. If we offer the asking price (which we think is fair), would it be reasonable to ask that the seller pay 2013 dues (since they've already used the majority of the points AND the points will have been due long before the process is completed)? Would it be also worth asking them to pay closing costs? This is all new to us, so I thought I'd ask the experts before moving forward. Thanks!
Fair is in the eye of the beholder. Don't be afraid of offending anyone, or hurting anyone's feelings. If you think the seller should pay 2013 fees and closing (you gave some very good reasons) then build that into your offer. The worst they can say is "no" at which point you will need to reevaluate how much you want this contract. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Couple of comments:

First of all, if you offer the listing price, as-is, you should have purchased the contract. I'd do much more due diligence than that, but that is the baseline.

In a resale purchase, I think you'd be perfectly reasonable to ask them to pay the dues for the points they have already used -- or for all the current year points if they are past their banking deadline. Those points are zero value to you.

(Technically...that is NOT how dues are apportioned, nor is it what dues pay -- but in the resale context, dues usually go with points YOU are getting the use of.)

Closing costs are generally paid by the purchaser, not the seller. Could you negotiate for that? Sure, EVERYthing is negotiable in a resale. But would you want to lose the deal because of the closing costs? Maybe, maybe not.

The key to a resale transaction is getting the contract you want at a price you are willing to pay. Don't lose sight of that objective by laser-sighting minor negotiating points.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: