Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Running While Texting

I'm sure there will be lots of people out there next weekend texting and tweeting during the race. If you're one of them, please be careful and use these helpful terms so you can spend less time looking at the screen.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Those are pretty funny! Some are downright hilarious. I do tweet alot, but hadn't planned on tweeting during the race, but I was going to have my phone on me to keep my family posted on where I was; however my bluetooth headphones that I usually wear on long runs allow me to make calls while running. I was just going to use that.
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
rocio
DIS Veteran

Funny. But also please pay attention to your surroundings. After the Princess on my way to AK, I got to talking to a couple on the bus and the husband mentioned he had volunteered at the race and was the "watch your step" guy. He was at the speed bump after you cross the MK parking gates (what is that mile 3?) telling everyone to watch your step and pointing to the speedbump with a flashlight. He said that even with the audio cues from the speakers and volunteers, they had several accidents there (one was taken away in an ambulance as she really hurt her shoulder). He said every one of them was looking down at their phone when it happened. So please be careful. I didn't text during the race, but later I thought I did fumble around with my camera to look at the picture I just took or to see my text alert that runner tracking sent me since i didn't have a Garmin. I'll be more mindful of that myself. Be safe!
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

RUN now, text LATER

Seriously, I agree that one really needs to be aware of their surroundings. Disney does a great job of flagging hazards through audio cues, signs, volunteers and cones. None of these work if we the runners are not paying attention to the course and fellow runners. If running with music, keep the volume low enough so you can hear a runner coming up asking for a gap or you to hold your line. At that volume, you can easily hear the audio warnings as well. I did see a spill in a turnstile last year in the half. It was a nasty fall for a Goofy runner. Betting she did not make the remainder of the weekend.

So, do you know how to spot a runner texting? They wonder without keeping a straight line; slow up to read the incoming text and respond then take off in a sprint after hitting send…. Then slow up again when the person on the other end replies… Oh wait, that was the car in the next lane(s) this morning on the way in to work
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Those are hilarious!

I am always amazed at how many people still manage to fall at the speed bumps and other areas with so many warnings. It is part of the reason I just stopped listening to music. Having to look at your phone slows you down a lot and with the course at Disney being so crowded nearly the entire time, it just isn't worth it.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
SPAM
DIS Veteran

I don't do anything as complex as this, once in awhile I will just text the number of the mile I am hitting.

Last edited by SPAM; 01-05-2013 at 04:33 PM.
SPAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

I seriously can't imagine why people would text during a race--esp. one as crowded as a Disney race. How inconsiderate of those around you. I thought it was bad last time when teams would form a row and not let people pass or just stop in the middle of the road and walk instead of going to the side.

The list is funny, however. I just hope texting does not cause issues. I wasn't even going to take my phone.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:12 AM   #8
smileyk8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11
I seriously can't imagine why people would text during a race--esp. one as crowded as a Disney race. How inconsiderate of those around you. I thought it was bad last time when teams would form a row and not let people pass or just stop in the middle of the road and walk instead of going to the side.

The list is funny, however. I just hope texting does not cause issues. I wasn't even going to take my phone.
To be fair I went to the side during London marathon to text my family as I'd picked up another injury and knew I'd be finishing a lot later than I'd hoped. I didn't want them to worry as we had been told before the race there wouldn't be live tracking (there was in the end!).

As long as you're out of the main flow I don't have an issue with it
Boston Marathon 2009 4hrs 22minsPrincess half marathon 2009 1hour 56mins, 57secs Walt Disney World Marathon 2010 4hrs 7minsRoyal parks half 2010 1:52:19WDW Wine and Dine 2013 1:50:16
smileyk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post

With you on texting, talking reading email, etc.... Definitely would hope folks would move to the side and out of the way.

I was going to offer a somewhat effective way to handle the rolling roadblocks.... At least the ones that you cannot get to the end of. A first excuse me, coming through... followed by a tap on the shoulder of one of the roadblock members with a little more forceful sounding, Coming Through will usually create a part.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait

With you on texting, talking reading email, etc.... Definitely would hope folks would move to the side and out of the way.

I was going to offer a somewhat effective way to handle the rolling roadblocks.... At least the ones that you cannot get to the end of. A first excuse me, coming through... followed by a tap on the shoulder of one of the roadblock members with a little more forceful sounding, Coming Through will usually create a part.
I know during the Princess 1/2 I was texting only because my cousin had my children and she kept getting lost and was trying to find me so they could see me running. I'm glad she did it because I wanted to break down and cry when I saw them on the side of the Poly. I did move to the side when needed,but with an iPhone, I'm just able to use Siri for my texting needs, so it wasn't like I was looking down at my phone.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
I know during the Princess 1/2 I was texting only because my cousin had my children and she kept getting lost and was trying to find me so they could see me running. I'm glad she did it because I wanted to break down and cry when I saw them on the side of the Poly. I did move to the side when needed,but with an iPhone, I'm just able to use Siri for my texting needs, so it wasn't like I was looking down at my phone.
Ahhh, Siri. Me, "Siri, tell Mary I am running late"... Siri, "Calling 911"

I have a funny accent.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #12
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait

I have a funny accent.
LOL. Siri needed to be retrained after the new IOS update, but she and I are good now. But she still won't say she loves me. Apparently, she's not allowed to love.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
magicLAL12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post

I have a funny accent.

Pretty funny.

I also don't know why anyone would want to be texting during a race. Talk about throwing off your groove.

I guess I can see the occasional need if you are trying to update family/friends due to an issue/spectator thing.. but honestly, if I see someone on their phone constantly and its affecting my run (i.e. they aren't moving over).. I definitely won't hesitate to say something. Just warning ya,

Just a Running Couple that Refuses to Grow Up.
June 2012: College Graduation Celebration; Animal Kingdom Villas, Kidani Village.
January 2013: My First Marathon; 20th Anniversary WDW Marathon; Boardwalk Villas
Next up: January 2014: Hooked..We're Running again; Boardwalk Villas, split-stay

magicLAL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #14
Bephus
DIS Veteran

I have seen people not only texting but having full on conversations! During a half this fall a lady was walking along, wearing a Bluetooth and talking to someone for quite a long time. I even heard her mention at some point that she was "running a race". Seriously, people, focus! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
stitchfan18
DIS Veteran

I am an texting offender, but I only read or respond to texts while in line for a character. I don't mind people doing it as long as they aren't putting others safety in jeopardy. I've also called someone during the princess 1/2, but I figured that was easier than texting my mom when I got back to Epcot so she knew to expect me soon. I usually keep texts and phone calls to a minimum because I usually am just tying to tell family where I am if they are watching for me.

stitchfan18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: