Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #46
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi

I live in Doha where the cool overnight lows in the summer are 95+ degrees. Even if you're used to it, running in the heat is still brutal. I'm hoping for start temps in the 40s, can live with 50s, and am dreading anything warmer than that.
I feel you, we have that but with insane humidity. Only difference, I live on the coast so it is rare to get above 100, thank goodness!!

Let's all do a cold front dance because I saw an 80 in the forecast today and that is a little too close to 2007, the day I ran on the sun, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #47
magicLAL12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
I ran indoors last night to get the feel for the 70's
We did that as well last night, I plan on doing that for the remainder of my runs, aside from the "long" run on Sunday.
Felt like good practice, definitely better than running in the 30 degree temps we've been having up here.

Just a Running Couple that Refuses to Grow Up.
June 2012: College Graduation Celebration; Animal Kingdom Villas, Kidani Village.
January 2013: My First Marathon; 20th Anniversary WDW Marathon; Boardwalk Villas
Next up: January 2014: Hooked..We're Running again; Boardwalk Villas, split-stay

magicLAL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #48
steph0808
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicLAL12 View Post
We did that as well last night, I plan on doing that for the remainder of my runs, aside from the "long" run on Sunday.
Felt like good practice, definitely better than running in the 30 degree temps we've been having up here.
Same here - been on the treadmill in my 72 degree house instead of outside in the 17 degree weather for the past week! Might head out today for my last 4 miler though.
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
steph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #49
Reep
Mouseketeer

Intellicast shows 61 for half morning and 51 for full morning. I guess that isn't too bad. I would like to see the 61 drop to the high 50s, but it is still cooler than DL and most of the race will be in the dark.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #50
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep View Post
Intellicast shows 61 for half morning and 51 for full morning. I guess that isn't too bad. I would like to see the 61 drop to the high 50s, but it is still cooler than DL and most of the race will be in the dark.
I actually think we will see the Sunday temps fall 10F or closer to norms through the weekend on all forecasts . Weather and Intellicast are on the same page.

The NOAA forecast for as far as it goes out seemed to parallel the Weather forecast.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #51
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicLAL12 View Post
See I'm the opposite. I prefer running in colder weather. Freezing or around freezing temps is my favorite weather for running.
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #52
Qltrgrl2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragitoff View Post
See I'm the opposite. I prefer running in colder weather. Freezing or around freezing temps is my favorite weather for running.
Also a big fan of colder weather for running. Fingers and toes crossed for both days as I attempt the Goofy Challenge!
Qltrgrl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #53
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragitoff View Post
I ran a half last year that was in the upper 20's...waiting for the race to start was by far the BIGGEST challenge...once it started it actually began to feel great! Even jogging by the ocean with its waves crashing down and icy breeze felt refreshing! I stopped once at a pop and nearly froze over...so had to keep going....So overall, for a race its not bad when its real cold out.

My brother on the other hand ran a half where the temps were a balmy 80's and everyone was sweating BEFORE the race started! Needless to say his time was terrible and he felt miserable...but he crossed the finish line anyway.

So while I don't like cold standing around - I am brining warm clothes to ditch later on - its the blistering heat I worry about most....oh and lightening.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #54
Quiksilvr
DIS Veteran

I love running in colder weather.

It's the wind that I hate. I've found that, around here anyway (downtown Washington, DC), the wind is always worse in the cold weather. I did mile repeats last weekend on the Mall, and it almost killed me. The wind was like a steady 18-20 mph, with big gusts (I didn't know this at the time, but there was a gale warning in effect). Temps were in the 30s.

I was trying to run ~8:20 miles and the wind was just like "no way, son. not today. not if I have anything to say about it." Every time I'd build some oomph, the wind would gust and almost push me backwards. Bleh.

I am very much hoping to finish Disney before the mercury rises too high. I did a full back in October; the start temp was around 50 degrees, but by the time I finished (4:10) it was up to 70. The temperature increase (and the blasted wind in my face at 12 mph for about 10 miles) really killed my time.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #55
steph0808
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilvr View Post
I love running in colder weather.

It's the wind that I hate. I've found that, around here anyway (downtown Washington, DC), the wind is always worse in the cold weather.
I am the exact same way. I don't mind running when it is cold out, but the wind just eats at me!
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
steph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #56
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

I'll take colder weather any day! Ran the Chicago marathon in 87 degrees...worst...run..ever!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #57
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qltrgrl2

Also a big fan of colder weather for running. Fingers and toes crossed for both days as I attempt the Goofy Challenge!
Me too! Definitely a cold weather runner. Needless to say, living in the Middle East has me annoying everyone with my whining about how hot it is.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #58
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

1/4

The latest from the services this morning.

Still looking like a warm weekend. It’s not just the temperatures for many; it is also the humidity. I mentioned yesterday that I ran on the TM so get temps in the range of the race, but with aa heater on in the house, humidity was dry. Expect humidity levels to be 85-100% at the start and 65-75% through the days.

There is an old rule of thumb that says if temps are above 65F you should look to modify pace. There is a secondary rule that says if the combination of Temperature + Humidity > 130, you should consider adjusting pace. With the latter rule, one could be looking to pull back on pace at the start in many of the forecasts below… A race start of 55 with a 90% humidity yields a 145 so one should think it over. In a half, I probably would not adjust but for the full I would think about pulling back just a bit; depending on the forecast for the end.

NWS
7-Day forecast

Weather
5k – 59F – Hi 77F
Half – 58F – Hi 76F
Full – 57F – Hi 71F - Showers

Wunderground
5k – 64F – Hi 80F
Half – 63F Fog – Hi 79F
Full – 63F – Hi 75F

Accuweather
5k – 61F – Hi 78F
Half – 60F – Hi 75F
Full – 55F – Hi 60F - Showers

Intellicast
5k – 60F – Hi 80F
Half – 58F – Hi 79F
Full – 58F – Hi 74F - Showers

The norms for the race weekend are a low of 49F and high of 70F. This produces an average temp for race day of 59F.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-04-2013, 05:42 AM   #59
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
Me too! Definitely a cold weather runner. Needless to say, living in the Middle East has me annoying everyone with my whining about how hot it is.
But its a dry heat, right? You know, just like my convection oven
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 AM   #60
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait

But its a dry heat, right? You know, just like my convection oven
LOL no, not always dry. The morning humidity kicks in starting in early July and stays until early Sept. 430am runs in July & August start at heat index of 110-115. Today's run was quite pleasant, though. 70 degrees & 70% humidity at 530.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: