Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #31
TEK224

Never gets tired of hearing "You're going to Disney again?!"

I always carry a water bottle with me. I remember '07 and was so glad I had my bottle. The other problem I saw was some stations had the gallon bottles of water, but ran out of cups. I was able to get some poured into my water bottle so I had a refill.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #32
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyrun View Post
My biggest concern is between mile 9 and 12. Looks like almost 2.5 miles between water stops. I programmed my garmin so I could practice my hydration based on the water stop locations. Seems like this is to long for me between water stops and I over drink at mile 12 and get bad GI issues. Thinking about running with a small bottle to fill at mile 9 to get me through to 12.
Actually, it's just a hair over 2 miles... 2.2 ish. Not much different than the delta between the TTC and Backstage MK.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/156764913/ ( the staions are approximate and based on historic locations as best I can fix them and where located near old locations)
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #33
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragitoff View Post
You also have to consider the time of morning you will be hitting those specific spots. I printed the map and got a breakdown of each corral starting time to estimate when I'd hit each spot. I did this more for my family to give them an estimate of when I'd be passing through spectator viewing areas, but it is also good at determining when you'd hit the toughest (and hottest) spots on the course. I hadn't thought of doing it for the aid stations until this weekend when I decided to pass on wearing my fuel belt with drink holsters.

I will definitely be doing that though. I usually don't start fueling/drinking anything until at least 45 minutes into my run. Then, I drink a little something every 20-30 minutes or so and re-fuel every 45 minutes.
I have a spreadsheet that may help, if needed. PM your email
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #34
honeyrun
Earning My Ears

On the map provided from Run Disney. Looks like a W around 9.4 and the next just before 12. puts me 25 to 30 min between water or between 7:30 and 8:00 am. Don't know how sunny or hot it will be during these miles.
honeyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #35
honeyrun
Earning My Ears

Not saying that 30mins is to long between stops. Just in training on my long runs with these water stops. Mile 12 was the only time I felt really thirsty and thus over drank which caused me GI problems every time. Guess I am just better off with small drinks more often than drinking lots spread out.
honeyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #36
irishtwins1112
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
I would like to have that spreadsheet, Coach. I will pm you my email. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #37
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just sent you my email address. Thank you!
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #38
thndrmatt
Real Life Mickey Wannabe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
Sounds like it probably won't be needed, but here's what my local running store told me to do to dry out wet running shoes. It works pretty well.

Remove the insoles.
Stuff newspaper into the shoes for 1 hour.
Take that newspaper out and replace it with new newspaper. Leave it in for 2-3 hours.
Take that newspaper out and replace it with new newspaper. Leave it in overnight.

I know the resorts don't deliver newspapers anyone, but I think you can get them at the front desk...?

My runs lately have either been on the treadmill or in 20-degree weather with wind and snow...so hopefully I'm prepared for anything at this point.
Blatant product plug here, but I owned two pair for about five years, then bought four more pair for all my various shoes (cycling/running/spinning/etc). These things work. http://stuffitts.com/ Really helpful for when you have to pack up the shoes the next morning to fly out and need them to be dry by then.
Running PRs: 5k-21:07, 10k-45:22, 15k-1:08:17, HM-1:37:45, M-3:44:48, 50k-7:49:19
Triathlon PRs: Oly-2:53:17, 70.3-6:08:31, IM-12:56:17

thndrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #39
chris84bond
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Both good questions

All aid stations will have water and PowerAde (Green Flavor). The typical set up is 5-10 tables of water on both sides of the road followed by a simialr number of sport drink tables.

Note the sport drink is mixed about half strength for the race. Also, note that the bottled PowerAde formulation is not quite the same at the powdered version used by races. The reason for half strength is mainly to assure the powder mixes well in the cool to cold water.

All drinks are served in cups. Cups are usually filled about half way - so plan on 2-5 oz of fluid from each cup.

Dragitoff, since you are planning on running the entire distance, practice taking water from a cup on race day. I would set up a few half filled cups. Take one and whle running down the street, pinch the cup topso you have a small opening nearest you. Optionally, you can fold the top side over or just keep it pinched. I then kind of drink from the side of my mouth by tilting. Practice a few times, esle you will get wet only on the outside.

http://blog.timesunion.com/running/f.../cup_pinch.jpg - here is a photo of what I am saying when I say pinch the cup. I close off the section in my hand and drink from the opening away from my hand.
Late post is late, but one of my runner coworkers mentioned what he does for halfs. He takes a Mcdonalds straw and cuts it in half, them puts one in each pocket/side of his visor and uses that to drink while running (same grab cup/pinch method, followed by straw). After he's done, back in his visor/pocket.

His reason for the half straw is the cups are smaller so it's fine, and inevitably, you will lose one so it's nice to have the backup.

Just another method if you're used to grabbing a water bottle/camelback bottle versus cup.
chris84bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #40
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris84bond View Post
Late post is late, but one of my runner coworkers mentioned what he does for halfs. He takes a Mcdonalds straw and cuts it in half, them puts one in each pocket/side of his visor and uses that to drink while running (same grab cup/pinch method, followed by straw). After he's done, back in his visor/pocket.

His reason for the half straw is the cups are smaller so it's fine, and inevitably, you will lose one so it's nice to have the backup.

Just another method if you're used to grabbing a water bottle/camelback bottle versus cup.
The infamous "Getah" straw from RunnersWorld forum. It does work, but I have left it behind because I'm just as likely to lose them out of my pocket and just pinching the cup works good enough--but it does take practice. Nothing wrong with the straw though. It does work very well if you don't drop them at mile 2.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #41
MikeofRose&Mike
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bephus View Post
I keep telling myself that I won't freak out about the heat yet, but I am not pleased. Silly FL, why can't you behave and realize it is winter? Here's hoping for a nice cold front to wonder our way this week and cool us off so that we don't have a bunch of overheated runners passing out all over the place. Should be fun no matter what and I bought a new tank top just for this reason!
Bit your tongue. I race in Florida because it is not cold. Last long run was 40 and raining, I just want to be not cold on my next run.

MikeofRose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #42
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeofRose&Mike View Post
Bit your tongue. I race in Florida because it is not cold. Last long run was 40 and raining, I just want to be not cold on my next run.
You do not want it to be 70's, trust me. The high today in Jacksonville was 77. I ran this evening and it was 66 after the sun went down and I was sweating like crazy wearing a skirt and a tank top on a 4 mile run. With no sun! Now rain, would not be fun, but 40 would be awesome! Even 50's would be great! If you are not used to running in hot weather it is brutal

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #43
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You do not want it to be 70's, trust me. The high today in Jacksonville was 77. I ran this evening and it was 66 after the sun went down and I was sweating like crazy wearing a skirt and a tank top on a 4 mile run. With no sun! Now rain, would not be fun, but 40 would be awesome! Even 50's would be great! If you are not used to running in hot weather it is brutal
I live in Doha where the cool overnight lows in the summer are 95+ degrees. Even if you're used to it, running in the heat is still brutal. I'm hoping for start temps in the 40s, can live with 50s, and am dreading anything warmer than that.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #44
cewait
DIS Veteran

1/3

The latest from the services this morning.

Still looking like a warm weekend. Spectators will like it, so that means most runners will be suffering once on the run. Sunrise is 7:19 for all three races. That means it will be light enough to see just before 7 AM.

NWS
7-Day forecast

Weather
5k – 58F – Hi 74F
Half – 59F – Hi 73F
Full – 48F – No Forecast

Wunderground
5k – 63F Fog – Hi 79F
Half – 63F Fog – Hi 77F
Full – 61F – Hi 733F

Accuweather
5k – 59F – Hi 81F
Half – 58F – Hi 81F
Full – 59F – Hi 82F

The norms for the race weekend are a low of 49F and high of 70F. This produces an average temp for race day of 59F.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #45
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I ran indoors last night to get the feel for the 70's
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: