Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #136
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEeyore View Post
Ugh, trying to mentally prepare for this heat. I was so worried about another "Disney on ice" when I signed up, and now I am worried about being too hot! Making adjustments in what I am wearing for the race and drinking lots of water this week.
I am in corral C - we go at 5:49 am, I am about a 10 min/miler, plus a bit for heat and photo stops. Sunrise should be around 7:30 am, so should get over 10 miles in before the sun comes up I hope. The last 10K is going to be brutal.
Like coach said, nothing we can do about it, so trying to wrap my brain around it and just make the best of it!
Bring sun shades... Your post got me started thinking about Osceola again. You will be cruising into the sun from 8:10 though 8:40. When you pull out onto Osceola that will be the first time you get the full feel of the sun. Unfortunately, if there are no clouds, you will be looking at a sun that is 10-15 degrees above the horizon for about half the time over to WWoS. As a frame of reference, 10 degrees is roughly one fist height above the horizon when the arm is fully extended.

The great news is that you should be in WWoS before the heater turns on.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #137
jordanontherun
Earning My Ears

Ok, I'm slightly (ahem, majorly) freaking out about the heat. This is my first full marathon and first runDisney event. I don't run well when I'm hot and I mentally go bat(beep) crazy. I completed a 20 mile training run here in Charlotte while it was in the low 60's and had a meltdown at mile 15. Anywho, I was just wondering how many ounces of water should I be drinking per day leading up to Sunday? Also, I never trained with sports drinks during a training run, always after. Should I just stick to water during the race?

I don't know how I'm gonna survive the next few days - I'm already so anxious!
jordanontherun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #138
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEeyore View Post
Ugh, trying to mentally prepare for this heat. I was so worried about another "Disney on ice" when I signed up,
I like that "Disney on Ice". I was amazed at how well prepared they were back in 2010 for the ice by having salt at the water stations. No issues there, but I did get a bit of Ice Capades in either on the boardwalk or near the entrance to Epcot. There was a boardwalk or wood bridge section that had frost on it. I planted and slid a few inches--which after 20+ miles was almost disastrous. But, I got traction again and tiptoed on until I hit concrete again.

At least we will have have nice weather for our post-race celebrations. Wearing a ski parka through Epcot after the 2010 was not my favorite celebration.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #139
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanontherun View Post
Ok, I'm slightly (ahem, majorly) freaking out about the heat. This is my first full marathon and first runDisney event. I don't run well when I'm hot and I mentally go bat(beep) crazy. I completed a 20 mile training run here in Charlotte while it was in the low 60's and had a meltdown at mile 15. Anywho, I was just wondering how many ounces of water should I be drinking per day leading up to Sunday? Also, I never trained with sports drinks during a training run, always after. Should I just stick to water during the race?

I don't know how I'm gonna survive the next few days - I'm already so anxious!
Deep breaths! Rule of thumb for the hydration these next few days is "clear/slightly yellow pee" For me, that just means adding another 16-20 oz of water over the fluids I already get during the day. Of course, this amount depends on how much you normally drink--hence the rule of thu,b regarding urine color.

As for race day, I personally would not want to do a marathon relying entirely on water. That said, you haven't trained with anything else, so I wouldn't recommend starting to try different things like electrolytes or fuel at this point (okay--maybe I'd try electrolytes). But I think you should try to take in some Powerade at the water stops. It's half strength, so it should go down easier. I wouldn't recommend at every stop--maybe every 2 or 3. That way you would mitigate any GI issues you might have, but still get some electrolytes (which is key)

Coach will surely have a more defined answer.

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #140
JeffW
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Do you take any gels when you run? If so, I'd try to avoid a gel and sport drink at the same time. That's a lot for your stomach to handle. I generally stick to water, but I also take a gel about every 5 miles.
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #141
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
Deep breaths! Rule of thumb for the hydration these next few days is "clear/slightly yellow pee" For me, that just means adding another 16-20 oz of water over the fluids I already get during the day. Of course, this amount depends on how much you normally drink--hence the rule of thu,b regarding urine color.

As for race day, I personally would not want to do a marathon relying entirely on water. That said, you haven't trained with anything else, so I wouldn't recommend starting to try different things like electrolytes or fuel at this point (okay--maybe I'd try electrolytes). But I think you should try to take in some Powerade at the water stops. It's half strength, so it should go down easier. I wouldn't recommend at every stop--maybe every 2 or 3. That way you would mitigate any GI issues you might have, but still get some electrolytes (which is key)

Coach will surely have a more defined answer.

Maura
You are doing well, Grasshopper....

I can only add, mix a water into a PowerAde at a stop or two early to see how it sits.

Use caution as nerves will convince folks that more fluids are better than the rate trained with. This will be reenforced because of the cooling effect of the drink. I cannot over emphasize that we should be drinking to thirst as the day wears on.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #142
disney_runner
Mouseketeer

Here's my 2 cents from someone else who only trained with water and with known GI issues. Alternate the powerade with water at every other water stop, starting about halfway through the race. Meaning: (if doing the full) take water only through about mile 10-12. Next stop, powerade and walk a good 2-3 mins. to make sure it settles OK. Next stop, take water. Next stop, take powerade and again, walk. By this time you should be able to know if your tummy is OK with it. If yes, great! Keep it up. If not, water only. But be sure to grab a powerade at the finish line as your body will still need it.

It works for me, and like I said, I've got GI issues. Hopefully it'll work for others! It's like a slow introduction to your body, but your body knows it needs it, so it seems to work.

Medals received: 2008 WDW Half ~ 2010 Princess Half + 2010 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 2011 WDW Full ~ 2011 Wine & Dine Half ~ 2012 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 2012 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 2013 Goofy Challenge ~ 2013 Dumbo Double Dare + C2C

Medals pending: 2014 ToT 10 miler, 2015 Dopey Challenge, 2017 January Half w/daughter, 2018 Glass Slipper Challenge, 2018 Tinkerbell Half, Avengers Half??
disney_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #143
erinna
Mouseketeer

Does anyone remember the temperature and humidity for the Tower of Terror race? I'd like to compare this weekend's projected weather to my last southern race.

Thanks for any intel!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #144
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinna View Post
Does anyone remember the temperature and humidity for the Tower of Terror race? I'd like to compare this weekend's projected weather to my last southern race.

Thanks for any intel!
About 78F at the start, 85% relative humidity - (KMCO Station). It fell about 3-4 F during the race. Oh, and was a little darker.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #145
jordanontherun
Earning My Ears

I've trained with sports beans and gu chomps, washing them down with water. Also, I've never had any GI issues during any of my half marathons or training runs for the full.

Thank you for the advice and good luck to all!
jordanontherun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #146
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've trained with sports beans and gu chomps, washing them down with water. Also, I've never had any GI issues during any of my half marathons or training runs for the full.

Thank you for the advice and good luck to all!
I would say that starting with a Diluted cup of PowerAde for a few stops would probably do no harm. As you get accustomed, then start with undiluted. Just as a matter of course, do not take PowerAde at a water stop where you are taking fuel

You will do well
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #147
jyssilly
Earning My Ears

Glad to have found this thread with others who are weather-obsessed!
My husband won't put up with my obsessing anymore and he is usually the weather-obsessed person!

I'm doing the 1/2 and have been training in 30's weather up here in Maryland!
I freaked out because I didn't even know what I should wear in warmer weather since I never trained outside when it was hot here... hoping my shorts aren't too short and I don't get some crazy chafe from my tank top
I think I would have preferred the freezing weather my husband had in 2010 (actually he ran the hottest year in 2007 too) We froze our butts of cheering him on, but they all looked fine and dandy a the end, not a wet insane mess like I'll be!

Last edited by jyssilly; 01-08-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: had the wrong year in my post.
jyssilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #148
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyssilly
Glad to have found this thread with others who are weather-obsessed!
My husband won't put up with my obsessing anymore and he is usually the weather-obsessed person!

I'm doing the 1/2 and have been training in 30's weather up here in Maryland!
I freaked out because I didn't even know what I should wear in warmer weather since I never trained outside when it was hot here... hoping my shorts aren't too short and I don't get some crazy chafe from my tank top
I think I would have preferred the freezing weather my husband had in 2007 We froze our butts of cheering him on, but they all looked fine and dandy a the end, not a wet insane mess like I'll be!
Couldn't have been Disney 2007, that was a hot year, hottest on record! I was there and almost melted running my first ever marathon, but here I am 6 marathons and 13 halves later!!!
Just make sure you slow down, hydrate smart, and lube up! Lube everywhere you think you need to and then lube in places you never thought could ever need lube. Then lube a little more just for good measure. I use bodyglide (they will have it at the expo if you don't have any) as it is not goopy and tends to stay where you put it. Some if my friends love a thicker lube geared towards bikers (and therefore sold at bike stores) if you have time for a quick trip to a local bike store before you go. If none of these are options, Vaseline is a good go-to.
Also, if you are feeling very hot, pour some water ON you. It will cool you better than IN you.
Have fun, don't stress, it's Disney.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #149
jyssilly
Earning My Ears

@bephus, oops yes, I edited my post - it was 2010 freezing and 2007 roasting hot

I'm still debating whether to treadmill tomorrow night to do another "hot" run or run outside and have a nice taper run.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #150
Cruz91
Always at Disney in my mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
I cannot over emphasize that we should be drinking to thirst as the day wears on.
What's this mean Coach? Are you saying we could over hydrate? I'm wondering if that was part of my problem last year.

Also wondering how much hotter we're talking for this year. I swear it was low to mid 70s when I finished last year, but cooler at the start than what they're predicting for this year...
WH - Christmas '10 - OUR 10th trip!!
WBC - Spring Break '11, WH/WBC - June '11 (Surprise Trip)
WH - Thanksgiving '11,
AS-Sports - Solo Marathon Weekend '12 - I DID IT!!
WP - March '12
WH- June '12
Paradise Palms- TGiving '12 (also our 15th wedding anniversary)
AS Spo - Jan '13 Solo Marathon (again)
DW DH DD11 DS9
Cruz91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: