Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #46
stitchfan18
DIS Veteran

My plan last year was to run at training pace between characters, and take short breaks while in line for photos. I did so much better than I expected doing this and had a blast! People ask all the time why I would want to run over 39 miles in a weekend, and how that is 'fun.' I just enjoyed every bit of my entry fee and didn't stress about the clock.

stitchfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 AM   #47
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by halvnorsk View Post
The center spins - one side is color, the other b/w.
Thanks! How nuts I didn't think of that one! That medal is way too cool!
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #48
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight Train View Post
First time Goofy, looking for guidance from vets.

I know that the sweepers operate on 16:00/mile measured from the point at which the last person stops. In other words, if you start the race 2 minutes before the last person, you are allowed 16:00/mile plus the two minute buffer without getting swept (in theory).

However, I was looknig at the Goofy race instructions, and it says that the Goofy medal will be awarded once they verify you have completed both races within the "allotted times". What that says to me is they will consider your net time (in other words, a strict 16:00/mile), not 16:00/mile plus the buffer.

I conclude from reading this that you can actually finish both races, collect your medals, and still not be Goofy-eligible if, say in the above scenario, you finish the half in 3:31.

Have I got this right? I'm not trying to skirt any rule in any way. The only reason I want to get this right is that my thought had been to try to start near the front of my (admittedly last) corral to try to take advantage of even a small buffer. If my take on this is right, it really makes no difference where I start in the corral because the buffer ultimately does me little good.

Sorry to be uber-technical on this, but I'm working with a small margin for error and I want to make sure my (limited) strategic decisions are sound. In English, I'm trying to figure out how many photo stops I can get away with given my 14:30 pace. Thanks.
Shelby is correct, since getting rid of the wrist band, there has been little checking to make sure one ran the half under 3:30 . In 2012, I think you were handed a Goofy based on having a bib, alone. Though, I believe in the 2011 goofy (first year with no wrist bands) there was some checking to assure that you had completed the half... no time component to that check but there were folks with lists checking off runners as medals were hand out.

I would not bet my Goofy on the volunteers not verifying the half as I think 2012 was a case of bad coaching of the volunteers or bad execution on producing the list. Prior to 2011, we all stood on line while wrist bands were checked and cut off. In the past it has been just like the regular race, if you cross the line, you are handed a medal, regardless of the time component.

Kind of rambling here.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: