Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #16
FFigawi
DIS Veteran
 
FFigawi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 1,518

My strategy is always the same: easy half, easy full. I run both of them about 45 seconds or 1 minute slower per mile than my normal pace. Depending on how many pictures I take during the full, this usually results in a 2:10-2:20 half and a 4:20-4:30 full. This gives me fresh legs for both days and allows me to look around at the scenery, enjoy the Disney magic, and take pictures along the way. For me, Disney races aren't about chasing a PR. There are plenty of other races out there that are better for that.
__________________
Cheers,

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #17
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran
 
Rupert B Puppenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,536

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
I have thought about starting as close to the back as possible on the full, and then taking as much time as possible to cross the start line - just to try and give everyone else a couple of extra minutes. I suspect that race officials would be a little suspicious, since I would be hanging back and waving everyone on, taking a picture or six of the penultimate starters, once they are 30 yards away, and so on.
Not if you had a baton, were juggling or doing something distracting like that.
__________________
Rupert B Puppenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
Freight Train
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofeygirl View Post
I signed up for this...it maybe the one and only time I do it (assuming all goes to plan) or I may want to do this again.

What is your plan? Both novice and experts.

Run both races?
Walk half and run full?
Run half and walk full?
Walk half and walk full?

Realizing of course the ultimate goal is to cross the finish line injury and pain free.

My plan is to walk the half and jog walk the full.
I'm a total newbie and this will also probably be my only Goofy, but for what it's worth I'm in the dead last corral and I plan to walk both races. I initially tried to train to run both but my knees just wouldn't take the punishment. So, for the last 6 months or so I've trained walking instead. My times in training have been around 2:55 for the half and 6:20 for the full. However, I do plan to take a few pictures as the situation on the ground will allow without getting too close to the sweepers.

On a side note, the imagery of the balloon ladies doesn't motivate me enough. In my mind I'm envisioning the creatures from the Langoliers movie chasing me down, if anyone remembers that.

I watched Apollo 13 last night. The part where Tom Hanks says, "Houston, the Earth is getting awfully big in the window" resonated with me...
Freight Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
SAHDad
DIS Veteran
 
SAHDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert B Puppenstein View Post
Not if you had a baton, were juggling or doing something distracting like that.
If I could rent a one-man band suit for cheap, and someone would pick it up around mile 1, I would do it.
__________________
One of the MouseQuest podcast gang! Find it on iTunes.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #20
scubagruba
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi
My strategy is always the same: easy half, easy full. I run both of them about 45 seconds or 1 minute slower per mile than my normal pace. Depending on how many pictures I take during the full, this usually results in a 2:10-2:20 half and a 4:20-4:30 full. This gives me fresh legs for both days and allows me to look around at the scenery, enjoy the Disney magic, and take pictures along the way. For me, Disney races aren't about chasing a PR. There are plenty of other races out there that are better for that.
I'm starting to agree with that last part. I thought I wanted to make this a fast marathon. I had a time in my head I was shooting for and should accomplish, but after reading the forums here I think I'll kick back some and enjoy myself more and not worry with the pace.

Still think I'll take it a bit slower on Saturday. Even if I'm not going full out Sunday.

Would like some pics along the way but I wasn't planning on taking my phone. I suspect that is what most runners use for the photos?

It's getting close!
scubagruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #21
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran
 
goofeygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The deep blue sea
Posts: 840

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
C corral for 2012 Goofy but started with the Balloon Ladies in BOTH races and last person over start line in 5K.

2011-walked 5K and Half with DW then speed-walked full in 4:56:28.

2012-walked 5K by myself since DW volunteered then speed-walked Half but knees acted up at the Castle, slowed down and finished in 2:23:30 then walked marathon with Cho-Pat knee straps and calf compression sleeves in 5:26:54.

2013-walk 5K with DW, might start in assigned corral D and go for a walking 2:00:00/2:10:00 PR or not then start with Balloon Ladies on Sunday, pull off course for M&M McFlurry at mile 15 then back on course and chill-out till the end while enjoying the McFlurry. Might add some jogging into the races but not sure. Have to see what the knees feel like.
Please explain the McFlurry? I know its McDonalds but is that just a thought that goes through your head to get you through the full or do you REALLY stop at McDonalds to get a McFlurry? Hmmm.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #22
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran
 
goofeygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The deep blue sea
Posts: 840

Must remember to have at the ready for this Goofy challenge:

advil.
salt.
oreo cookies (I need a total sugar high, esp for the full)
water for the full
hat from sun?
some kind of electrolyte pill the I read people take for this
a gel to rub on sore muscles if they get sore.
sunglasses!!!!!!!
mp3's.
what else?
oh yeah, money - 20 dollars laced within my shoe.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #23
Goofierunner
Mickey says, "Now get out there and run!"
 
Goofierunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 121

This will be my only Goofy. Easy half, faster full. I don't get many chances to run such a flat course and my training has been going really well. I have a really good chance to PR the full. Now, that's not to say I will have blinders on and be laser focused on getting to the finish. I'll have my camera with me both days, just in case that can't miss shot comes up.
__________________
Pain is temporary. Pride (and your finisher shirt) is forever.

First I do this Then I do this but I wish I was at
Goofierunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #24
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy
 
John VN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fl
Posts: 4,413

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
I have thought about starting as close to the back as possible on the full, and then taking as much time as possible to cross the start line - just to try and give everyone else a couple of extra minutes. I suspect that race officials would be a little suspicious, since I would be hanging back and waving everyone on, taking a picture or six of the penultimate starters, once they are 30 yards away, and so on.
The Balloon Ladies MAKE SURE you are in front of them, at least they did for the Half and Full last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofeygirl View Post
Please explain the McFlurry? I know its McDonalds but is that just a thought that goes through your head to get you through the full or do you REALLY stop at McDonalds to get a McFlurry? Hmmm.
Yes, I am detouring off the course at mile 15 and going to McDonald's for the McFlurry. I did it for the ToT 10 Mile race and will continue to make the detour in any future race.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #25
WVUFan
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 149

This is my third Goofy. The first year I was injured and stopped at all the characters for the half and ran the full. Last year I tried to PR the half, but the course was crowded, so I ran at slightly faster than marathon pace and stopped at all te characters and rode Expedition Everest during the full (which I will miss this year!) There were some characters during the half that were not out when I went through during the full, so this year I'll be stopping at all the characters during both. During actually running, I'll be running about marathon pace for both. My goal is to stay injury free and have a fast recovery since I have another marathon two weeks later.
WVUFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #26
FFigawi
DIS Veteran
 
FFigawi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 1,518

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofeygirl View Post
Must remember to have at the ready for this Goofy challenge:

advil.
salt.
oreo cookies (I need a total sugar high, esp for the full)
water for the full
hat from sun?
some kind of electrolyte pill the I read people take for this
a gel to rub on sore muscles if they get sore.
sunglasses!!!!!!!
mp3's.
what else?
oh yeah, money - 20 dollars laced within my shoe.
Just be sure not to take the Advil before you run. It's not a good idea to take NSAIDs before endurance runs because there's a higher risk of kidney failure.
__________________
Cheers,

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #27
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran
 
goofeygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The deep blue sea
Posts: 840

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
Just be sure not to take the Advil before you run. It's not a good idea to take NSAIDs before endurance runs because there's a higher risk of kidney failure.
Thanks..didn't know that.

I have never actually taken anything like that before a race but its more of a comfort for me...knowing I have it....

Though once I had a terrible headache in the days leading up to a half...I was downing all sorts of pills to make it go away. It actually went away the day of the half...but I couldn't run...nor jog...just walk...the whole half...I would start to do a light jog and would be out of breath...It was from the meds I had taken...they took a toll on me. Lucky it was a half with drop dead gorgeous scenery! So it was the best half to walk.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #28
SAHDad
DIS Veteran
 
SAHDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
The Balloon Ladies MAKE SURE you are in front of them, at least they did for the Half and Full last year.
Having never seen the balloon ladies, I have to ask - are they Disney employees, or working for the race in some capacity? Because otherwise, I could see some sort of standoff, right at the start line:

"Yo go first."
"Oh no. Ladies first. You go first. I insist."
"No. We're the Balloon Ladies. You have to go first."
(etc)

Of course, that would just add to the buffer of time.
__________________
One of the MouseQuest podcast gang! Find it on iTunes.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #29
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!
 
liznboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
... "No. We're the Balloon Ladies. You have to go first." ...
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #30
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy
 
John VN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fl
Posts: 4,413

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
Having never seen the balloon ladies, I have to ask - are they Disney employees, or working for the race in some capacity? Because otherwise, I could see some sort of standoff, right at the start line:

"Yo go first."
"Oh no. Ladies first. You go first. I insist."
"No. We're the Balloon Ladies. You have to go first."
(etc)

Of course, that would just add to the buffer of time.
Didn't ask if they were CM or Race Officials but they were politely insisting that they were to be the last to start. I did start a few feet in front of them and was looking forward so I did not crash into another racer. Guess if someone wanted to make sure they were behind the Ladies an actual Race Official might just DQ the person by making a note of their number.

But every race is another start and things could be different this year.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.