Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #121
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

I saw on pinterest to hang a tension rod under there and suspend spray bottles by the handle....thinking about doing that, though I'm not sure what a tension rod costs...Guess I will see what's left under there after I purge it.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #122
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilymad View Post
Anyone have any good ideas about keeping the under the sink cabinets from being a disaster? I feel like I go through them often but they are a mess!

Planning on getting DH to go through old clothes this weekend. For not caring about clothes he is such a pack rat.
I have 2 rev a shelf units- 1 for each door like this:

Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #123
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I was really lazy today but put together a bag of shirts DH got from his brother but can't use. I also went through DS's room, which didn't take long. I have a pile of outgrown shirts for my nephew and put away the summer stuff I hadn't removed from the rotation yet.

Tomorrow I plan to repurpose the old toy organizer as a holder for the video games & DVDs. It has been mostly emptied out of little toys and the games are piled up on the floor near the TV. Hopefully this should be an easy system for the kids to put cases away & still be able to find them easily.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #124
starwood
This mouse GOT her next cruise
I won't even tell my DH what I'm doing. He already thinks I'm nuts

Don't know if anyone posted this yet....if you like Peter Walsh's facebook page he is posting a decluttering task a day for the month of January.

Environmentallity Begins With You
starwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #125
Deffenm
DIS Veteran

I am getting ready to take a bag of books, cd's, and movies to a second hand book store to sell. I don't care how much I get for them I am just glad to have them out of the house and earn a little cash to put towards our Aug. WDW trip. Tonight I am going to tackle the closet in our bedroom. DH has clothes that don't fit but he won't get rid of. He just bought 4 new shirts so I told him he has to get rid of at least 4 shirts to make room for the new ones. We will see if that works. I must have inspired DH because when I got home last night they had cleaned up the living area in the basement and rearranged our bedroom and since he moved furniture he started to throw old stuff away. Starting 2013 off on the right foot!
DD (10)

May 2005 - AsMov
Sept. 2006 - POP
Sept. 2007 - POR
Aug. 2008 - AKL
June. 2010 - CBR (Grand Gathering)
April 2012 - POP
Oct. 2014 - POP
Deffenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #126
elcodfish
Mouseketeer

Just another helpful hint. vvapickup.org will come to your house to pick stuff up, even if it is just 1 box, so it can save you the time of going to goodwill. They also send you a postcard in the mail when they are going to be in the area an I always use it to encourage me to get stuff together.

Also if you have body washes, shampoos or anything like that. even stuff you tried an didn't like, call your local women and children's shelter, mine takes it.
elcodfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #127
mrsklamc

I want to repost some of my favorite tips for people who may be new, so if you've been around the last few years, you've heard this already:

Read "It's All Too Much" by Peter Walsh. Really motivating- I prefer the audiobook so I can listen while cleaning or driving!

Involve your kids in the process. That way they learn to deal with the 'stuff' in a healthy way and won't end up where we are! Plus, it can be really devastating if something happens to be 'treasured' and you didn't know it.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #128
Nissi
Mouseketeer

Count me in! I love this thread!!
Before the spring, I need to do the shed (no more relying on my husband to keep it organized), my son's toybox and his outgrown clothes. I love fresh starts and in addition, I am going to try to start doing once a month cooking/freezing to help cut down on stress and maximize my free time.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #129
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Anyone have any good ideas about keeping the under the sink cabinets from being a disaster? I feel like I go through them often but they are a mess!

Planning on getting DH to go through old clothes this weekend. For not caring about clothes he is such a pack rat.
Our garbage pail is on one side and a bucket with our cleaning supplies is on the other side. This was an area I streamlined and now I just use vinegar, ammonia, bleach, furniture polish, window cleaner & soft scrub. It all fits in this bucket perfectly.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #130
Readerbug
Using My Ears

Absolutely subscribing. I think minimal is beautiful, but I don't do it good. (cough).

Helps to have DH decide it's time to refi and get a new house appraisal. (Uh, it's Christmas, honey...Santa's busy, without elves!)

I've got the Peter Walsh audio too, and will pull it out again. I have never made it though to the end. I start getting claustrophobic...the idea of too much clear space.. thinking, "Now , how am I going to do that??."

I'd love to actually complete a whole house sweep. So my plan is declutter holiday decorations as I put away. For starters.

Me, DH edu IT man, 19, 17, 15, 13, 10, 7.
Readerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #131
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

I got an over the door shoe organizer for the basement door (in the kitchen). It houses stuff like rubber gloves, sponges, swiffer stuff, etc. It really helped clear out a lot of stuff.
I also moved the carpet cleaner and bathroom stuff to the linen closet upstairs since that's where the only bathroom and the carpeted areas are.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #132
ohiopugmom
Earning My Ears

Hi all! I am so in this year. I am sick of clutter everywhere! I have already tackled the fridge door (pitched old stuff and most freebie magnets). I also have a little bookshelf by the fridge that catches crap, junk, coupons, ads etc. and cleaned it up!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #133
starwood
This mouse GOT her next cruise
I won't even tell my DH what I'm doing. He already thinks I'm nuts

Peter Walsh's task for the day

Day 3: Keep Your Lid On! Today your task is to tackle all those disposable plastic storage containers that you have in cupboards and drawers in your kitchen. Get them all out onto the kitchen counter. Discard any that don't have matching lids, that the dishwasher has mangled or that are stained. My rule: no more than 15 plastic storage containers! Here's the deal: with takeout containers, margarine containers and coleslaw containers there's a constant inflow of these puppies into your home - the trick is to keep them under control. So ... take a deep breath, drag them out and take ten minutes to get it done!! Let me know how you do. #31Days2GetOrganized

Environmentallity Begins With You
starwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #134
mrsklamc

Funny, that was one of 8 tasks I have left in the kitchen so I guess I start there tonight.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #135
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwood View Post
Peter Walsh's task for the day

Day 3: Keep Your Lid On! Today your task is to tackle all those disposable plastic storage containers that you have in cupboards and drawers in your kitchen. Get them all out onto the kitchen counter. Discard any that don't have matching lids, that the dishwasher has mangled or that are stained. My rule: no more than 15 plastic storage containers! Here's the deal: with takeout containers, margarine containers and coleslaw containers there's a constant inflow of these puppies into your home - the trick is to keep them under control. So ... take a deep breath, drag them out and take ten minutes to get it done!! Let me know how you do. #31Days2GetOrganized
A few years ago i cleaned out the kitchen cabinets and got rid of so many of those plastic butter, sour cream containers. That was the end of it. I nolonger save those. I have a set of storage containers witht he red lids and thats it.

Last night I cleared off a section in my spare room. Dh bought a bunch of clearance gift boxes and xmas bags, tags that i divided and need to store in our xmas container and a few things for the birthday container

I also got rid of a grocery size bag of trash.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: