Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #76
poohguys
DIS Veteran

I am in I have several bags of clothes that DS has outgrown to pass down to one of my
friends at work for her son. Lots of old magazines to go through for anything good and then throw out. And plenty of other things I need to tackle!

Off Site '74
Husband too many times to remember starting in 1979
Poly '90
Dixie Landings '95
SOG '96 (honeymoon trip 15 wonderful days!)
Dixie (POR)'97
Dixie (POR) 2003 (First trip for our son)
Dixie (POR)Oct 2005
Dixie (POR) August 2006
Dixie (POR) August 2007
Dixie (POR) August 2012

poohguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #77
k_reile
Slowly converting my son into a Disney lover!

I finished my entry way junk drawers and cabinets. I also went through 2 of my dresser drawers...that had been a long time coming. I also caught up on all of my laundry and cleaned the house. Still lots more to do but at least the house looks picked up...I just shut the door to the playroom for now...that is a disaster. I will have to do that when DS is away or sleeping because he wants to keep everything (he's 4). DH wants to clean out our spare bedroom this weekend, so that we can fix it up and make it into an office for now.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #78
mjantz
DIS Veteran

I did a lot of little things today. No room was finished but there's stuff to take to the resale shop & the used bookstore. Also there's a lot more counter space. The battle continues tomorrow!! I think I may tackle the linen closet. Too much stuff stuffed in there. Needs some organization.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #79
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJPLO View Post
Anyone have any tips on how to have a stamp collection appraised? I was given my great grandma's stamp collection and it is all sitting in a box. Can't just get rid of it, don't really know what to do with it. This is one of my many boxes of clutter!
Oh my god! Do not get rid of them or sell them without doing some research and getting a few appraisals. You could have some very valuable ones in her collection. Maybe even call a few museums that could point you in the right direction.
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #80
foreUT
DIS Veteran

Love this thread! Last year I got some great inspiration to attack my own home and my parent's (they moved there in 1967), both of which needed major decluttering and emptying (in my parent's case.) Lots of stuff to SA and Goodwill, a truck load from the garage to the landfill when the city had free dump day, and numerous items on CL for free that I wanted out of the house asap. My husband was working out of state, so I just made decisions and purged. More to do this year and still don't have my parent's home finished (plumbing problems and a gas leak made working there difficult; still need to get plumbing repaired), but I feel so much better about life in general. "Stuff" can be such a negative.

Thanks for all the tips. No matter how far I travel on this road, there are always some great ideas shared that make it easier!
foreUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #81
MommaB
Mouseketeer

I wish there was a ~high five~ button I could hit on all the "Got started today!" posts!

We filled three very large boxes with trash, donation and set aside our 20 items for consignment at our Air Force Base's Thrift Store. A few months ago I started volunteering once a week and it really forced me to take in 20 times every time to sell. I price everything to sell and make an extra $75 a month on things catching dust!
MommaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #82
princess stich
DIS Veteran

I'm in too! I was working in the basement all evening. I'm trying to sort things to trash, recycle, donate, & sell.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #83
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme5kids

Oh my god! Do not get rid of them or sell them without doing some research and getting a few appraisals. You could have some very valuable ones in her collection. Maybe even call a few museums that could point you in the right direction.
I know!!! That's why they are sitting in a box!!! Lol I highly doubt they are museum worthy though. Appraisals from where? That's where I don't know where to start. Museums. Okay good idea for some info.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #84
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

I can't believe this thread already has 6 pages-lol!

I'm in . Last year I got so much decluttering done like
- master bedroom
-spare room/office/craftroom
-hall closet
-kitchen
-kitchenware cabinet

this year the main focus will be my garage. I sold a lot of our stuff. The stuff I took out of the house is in the garage in piles and boxes of things i have posted on craigs list.

This years goal for decluttering...
-garage
-coat closet
-shed
-bottom entertainment cabinet
Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #85
Anastasia
Mouseketeer

I got a new makeup organizer for my dressing table for Christmas, so today I filled it. In the process, I got rid of a lot of old makeup.

Not a whole lot today, but it is a holiday!

Tomorrow I will tackle my closet. I don't need to do much, as I have cleared it recently. I just need to look through my clothes for things to get rid of, and straighten it up. I will also finish cleaning up my dressing table.

I find that having my closet and dressing area cleaned up really helps me motivate me as I see that first thing every morning.
Anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:14 AM   #86
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Spent some time cleaning the frig
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:04 AM   #87
missx0xdelaney
Mouseketeer

I'm so excited to join in this thread. I was looking at the 2012 one not too long ago but it was so massive I decided to hold out for the 2013 one so I could be caught up! I'm going to be moving sometime this year (hopefully sooner rather than later), so I definitely need a deep purge. I lost about 30 pounds towards the end of last year (2011) and never really weeded out the bigger clothes, just added new ones, not to mention the ones that never fit.
I also have a ridiculous amount of paperwork around that is questionably organized. I've been on and off reading One Year to an Organized Financial Life which has a lot of guidance on what kind of paperwork should be kept and what is garbage.
Since those are the two biggest issues, that's where I'll start. (Although not sure how far I'll get this month before I have to start getting ready to head I WDW on the 22!)

Find me on Instagram and Twitter!: @missx0xdelaney
Countdown to Cupcakes! - An Independence Day Road Trip!
missx0xdelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #88
Three cats
DIS Veteran

Count me in! Just need to decide where im going to start? Laundry room or bedroom closet?

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Three cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #89
DisneyAndRedSox
I still call it a WEDWay PeopleMover!

I am in! I am thinking to make this something I can achieve, do one area a month.

January- first purging of my walk-in closet! I have clothes I haven't worn in years, I just need to get over it and donate them! I figure I can do two large contractor-size trash bags next week when I am off. This is going to take several purging sessions through the year!

Here are the rest of my goals-
February- Master bedroom (nightstands, under bed boxes and drawers)- this will obvious spill over into the walk-in closet.
March- going to Disney so taking it easy- spare bedroom (closet & under bed boxes)
April- DD's room (good time since we will be changing to spring and summer clothes)
May- Upstairs bathrooms (drawers & linen closets)
June- Freshen up walk-in closet since summer clothes now out; shelving in laundry area
July- Kitchen cabinets & drawers
August- Foyer closet and partial basement- basement pantry closet, coat storage closet, shelves with DD's games & hallway coat closet
September- Office (two sets of barrister bookcases and large desk drawer)
October- Bonus room in basement (DD's art and crafts; my rolling drawers of holiday and gift wrapping stuff)
November- Freshen up Walk-in closet and DD closet since we will be busy getting out holiday decorations
December- Family room (bookcases & DD's area of toys)

DisneyAndRedSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #90
wdwagain518
Mouseketeer

Time for me to stop lurking and go all in!! So much "stuff" to get rid of that it's overwhelming for me, but I'm starting 2013 by setting small goals for myself and rewarding myself when I accomplish something! Today's goal: clean out half the drawers in the bathroom vanity.
CSR Jan/Feb 2012
POR Sept 2011
off-site too many times to count!

wdwagain518 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: