Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #556
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

Boards games and multiple cameras not touched years.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #557
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

My DD13 just gave me a garbage bag full of Polly Pocket stuff and told me I could get rid of it.

Hmmm - need to research and see if it's worth splitting up and putting on ebay or on Craig's List.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #558
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

DH is really loving me piling up stuff for him each day to load in the van. LOL

One thing I've noticed during my destashing is all the crap I have around that my mom gave me. If I could just get her to stop bringing stuff here when she declutters, I'd be waaaay ahead.

Not sure if any of your parents are the same, but my mom actually gets insulted if I don't get super excited about some junk she brings over. I have an old coat of hers that I didn't have the heart to get rid of, and she was so excited seeing it in my closet thinking I was now wearing it .... LOL
Thing is, if she asks to use something or have something back again in 10 years and I've gotten rid of it, I will never hear the end of it.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #559
Mouse7116
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post

then the magic happened! I ran across a couple books about minimilisim and they opened my eyes.....and my doors. things went flying out and quickly. the tips the books gave, more like little rules, were so helpful. dh told me to stay away from his stuff so every other day I would ask him little questions about where he was going to put this or that. just little bugs in the ear. as soon as he figured out I was no longer going to be the keeper of this 'stuff' it soon became junk and 'lets get rid of it'.
long story short, I half emptied my house but i'm not finished yet. i've been through most every thing once, now its time to refocus and look at it all again. more has to go.
now i'll go back and look over the rest of the thread cause this has me excited to start going again.
Would you mind sharing the titles of the books? I am always looking for inspiration!

I would love to say that we've been making headway here, but our new DS decided to make his appearance early and we're still working on finding the right routine for our family.

We have gotten rid off all the cardboard and I have priced two tubs of items that I had pulled a while ago for garage sales this spring. I also remembered to gather up all the rest of the Christmas stuff (movies and small things that never seem to make it into the Christmas tubs once the season is over) and it has been put with the rest of the decorations. Cleared off 2/3 of the dressing table in the bathroom (now debating if I should start on the bathroom closet before tackling the rest of that since most of that will need to go in the closet or just cram the stuff in the closet and hit the closet later). Took out a bag of trash yesterday, but overall not as much as I hoped to get done.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #560
sherry7
DIS Veteran

I haven't posted for a few weeks. We recently had oak floors put in all through the house, so I'm still unpacking everything that we had to pack up in order to get that done (bottoms of closets, stuff sitting on furniture, knick knacks, etc). I did do some purging as I packed when we had the downstairs floors done last month. However, when it was time to pack up the upstairs last week, I was sick with the bronchitis, so DH did it. Let's just say that he wasn't very organized in his method of packing. So, I'm sorting through stuff as I slowly get it unpacked.

I ended up taking a vacation day from work today, because I overslept. DH was off work too, and we dropped off DD at daycare so we could get some stuff done in the basement without distraction. Oh my gosh, we really got rid of a lot. He already took a pickup truck load to Goodwill, and he has another load to take tomorrow. In addition to the donations, we threw out 4 big trash bags of papers, old magazines, some items that had mildewed, etc. My garbage man is probably starting to dread coming to my house. Last week he had to pick up an entire house full of old carpet and carpet padding, and this week I have a gazillion bags on the curb.

Sadly, my basement is so packed, that we barely made a dent today. But, it's a start. I'm starting to realize that 90% of the stuff down there isn't needed, or necessarily wanted. I'm facing a possible job transfer later this year, which will also involve moving...and I don't want to move this junk with me!
sherry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #561
Ephany
DIS Veteran

Unfortunately, the first set of people didn't like the house and there's already been another group. That time, the landlord didn't come along; DH and I agreed we're not comfortable with that, so I have to talk with her and emphasize that she'll need to be here for any future showings. We have the house until July 31st, so I have a feeling there'll be lots more showings until she rents it out.

Otherwise, since we know we'll be moving home by the end of July, I'm going to try to and pack a few boxes a week. Only have 2 packed so far, but I ran out of boxes. It was sooooo overwhelming when we moved up here, I want to make it as easy as possible moving home. It's just frustrating 'cause we're at that point where the stuff we have left is actually being used regularly. I guess I'll start with board games, out of season clothes, craft items, and books. I bought two cabinets with doors at IKEA so when we move, we can put those together first thing and then fill them up with wii games, dvds, etc... right away instead of leaving them in boxes. I think if I ask DD to pack her own boxes and it's only 1 or 2 every few weeks, she'll be good about picking out what she can live without for a few months. That'll also help get the house look less cluttered. She's been doing great with keeping her room clean, hopefully it continues.

I've also gathered up items that I want to sell on Facebook or Craigslist. I've gotten some really lowball offers, around 20% of what I was asking. I looked and since my asking price is right in line with everyone else (I checked Facebook, Ebay, and Craigslist in a couple local areas), I'm just gonna wait and see. I don't need to sell these items right now and I don't like being 'screamed' at in all caps.

I also donated all of DD's old VHS tapes to the after school program at her elementary. They couldn't take anything PG though, so poor James and the Giant Peach and ET are off to Goodwill. I've also got another huge bag of clothes and books to drop off. I've still got a stack of books for the school and the back of my car is filled with misc. cardboard to drop off at the recycling center. Now that the weather is warmer and the sun's out, it's easier to get motivated.
Ephany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #562
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse7116 View Post
Would you mind sharing the titles of the books? I am always looking for inspiration!

I would love to say that we've been making headway here, but our new DS decided to make his appearance early and we're still working on finding the right routine for our family.

Agree, I would also love to know the book titles!

Congrats on your new little one! I'm impressed you are getting anything done w/a new baby around.

Good work to everyone making progress!! I have not done much lately but it looks like we'll be snowed in this weekend. Everyday cleaning is under control so I should have time to work on some projects. I have yet to take the GW bags I keep intending to take so should be able to add to that pile this weekend. *should* seems to be the key word. I have some decluttering books on my Kindle so maybe I'll look through those for motivation.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #563
MOpGrad2013
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=momof2gr8kids;47572012]

One thing I've noticed during my destashing is all the crap I have around that my mom gave me. If I could just get her to stop bringing stuff here when she declutters, I'd be waaaay ahead.

QUOTE]

Same thing happens. It's called having and using your inheritence now when they can see you with it.

Last night I went through the cupboards and realized that I don't really love this glassware mom and mil gave me. Just because it's old doesn't make it valuable...well, maybe it is, but it's just dusty to me. And if it's so valuable, why do I have it wrapped in newspaper-like you did. So, off it goes.

I'm not a craigslist or ebay person. If I had it sitting waiting for others, I would just put it back in my cupboard again. Kudos to those that can!

2010 Coronado Springs2014 Windsor Hills2015 TBA
MOpGrad2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #564
carebee21
DIS Veteran

I had a very productive day decluttering yesterday. I really needed to work on cleaning the bathrooms and kitchen, but just didn't feel like it, so I worked on decluttering instead

I managed to go through DH and my closet again and donated one more large bag of clothing. I also threw out a few pairs of shoes that were worn or that I don't wear anymore.

DH set a date for his garage sale for the first weekend in April. So I'm using one side of the garage to put all our garage sale stuff on. I moved a whole bunch of toys, games and household decorations out there. If he doesn't have his garage sale that weekend, we both agreed all the stuff would be donated, and that would be the end of the notion of the garage sale. And if he has one, anything left over at the end of the weekend is going to be immediately donated as well.

I also consolidated a few of the same items we had (a couple open salt containers, a few same shampoos with tiny bits left in each bottle, same lotions, etc) and then started to throw out excess stuff. We're moving in four months, so I know I'm not going through three bottles of sunburn gel or six half bottles of sunscreen. Between that and using things up and not restocking them, you can definitely see a huge difference in how much space we have in all of our drawers, cabinets and closets.

On top of that, I've been trying to go through each room and closet and throw away or donate one thing in that space each garbage day (we have two per week.) I'm starting to get to the point where there is just nothing left to get rid of in some spaces, which makes me happy! Then there are others, like DSs room and our office, where I can easily pick out things, so I still have a long way to go in other spaces.

All in all though, we are making huge amounts of progress! And I'm so happy that all of this work is going to make the move so much easier, and less expensive

Our goal for this Sunday is to completely clean and organize the loft. DS has a few larger toys up there that just need to be moved to the garage sale pile in the garage, we're going to go through all the kid DVDs and combine the ones we're keeping with our DVD shelf downstairs and get rid of that upstairs DVD shelf and then go through DSs bookshelf and video games that are up there. It shouldn't take all that long, which should leave me plenty of time to do the rest of the housecleaning that I have fallen behind on I also set up a moving box in DSs room, and told him all the stuffed animals he's keeping have to fit in that box. He's been making decisions as to what stays and goes, so I'm hoping he'll have that done this weekend, so I can throw away all the leftover stuffed animals, but I'm not so sure he'll be ready for that this weekend. Maybe he will have a few that he for sure is ready to part with...

Happy Decluttering Everyone and Have a Great Weekend!!!

Goals Accomplished So Far in 2013:
Decluttering All of the Christmas Decorations: Got everything down to 1 large tote
DH and My Closet and Dressers: 5 bags of trash; 12 large bags of clothing donated
DH and My Bathroom: Two bags of garbage
Coat Closet: Got rid of old jackets and consolidated hats/gloves/scarves
Kitchen: Organized container cupboard: 1 bag of garbage removed
Organized Cup Cupboard: 1 bag of garbage removed
Removed other excess stuff in the kitchen: 1 bag of garbage removed
Linen Closets: 2 large bags of linens donated
1 bag of garbage gone
DS's Room: Two large bags of stuffed animals gone
Board Games Missing Pieces Gone/All other board games sorted
Two large bag of junk toys gone
One large bag of toys donated
One large box for Garage Sale
One Bag of Uniforms Donated to his School
One Large bag of garbage clothes (old socks, underwear, stained or ripped clothes) gone
DS's Bathroom Drawers and Cabinet: 2 bags of garbage removed
Backyard: 1 bag of old garden decorations thrown away
Garage: 4 large bags of garbage gone
Old 02-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #565
MOpGrad2013
DIS Veteran

Change of Plans

So all of DH's paperwork came back and he will be medically retired from the military. Now we have less than 90 days until we are no longer active duty brats. We had planned to move to Orlando area, but we just can't do it in a responsible way and in a short time.

DH finishes up mid May, DS19 & DS18 graduate high school early June...And we have to move out of the military quarters before May.

We were looking at a short term rental here and then making the florida move, but currently all the month to months are full so we are looking at 6 month leases. We would then have to pull DD15 out of her sophomore year to relocate. So, we swallowed our mouse ears some and started looking for longer leases. We are going to remain in the area, but change school districts. We are waiting now to find out if we are going to be approved for a 3 bed single family home. The approval has to do with the owners accepting an exception to the rental company policy--if house is vacant, move in within 10 days of lease signage, else could possibly forfeit home to someone else who can take immediate occupancy.

On to the destashing: We will be moving from a 4 bed + office & storage townhouse into a 3 bed home. It's about a drop in 400 sq ft. We do have a storage shed that we pay for so we will put a lot in there. I refuse to use the garage for our long term storage.

Our home right now has stacks and piles suddenly. Everywhere you turn, there's something else. I have designated areas: New House; Going to College; Long Term Storage (until we move to FL ~ 3 yrs); and the now famous It's Leaving. DH keeps loading up the Leaving stuff and off he goes to donate it. DS18 brought out a bunch of stuff that is leaving--some garbage and some donate. The garbage collector is going to need some extra Gatorade after he finishes our pick up this week.

This is exciting, but the stuff that has yet to be designated is in the way! I feel like I am tripping over my own feet. I have the beginning of a cold so I am extra growly. I sent everyone out to dinner so i could just rest, but I've found a bit of energy to pick it up.

2010 Coronado Springs2014 Windsor Hills2015 TBA
MOpGrad2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #566
C_leen
DIS Veteran

Worked a good hour in my office today. I have not forgotten my goals to deciliter...
2/2014 Princess HALF
C_leen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #567
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

World's skinniest linen closet purged. Pillows, blankets & sheets. So useless and extremely difficult to get anything in & out of. Especially when full. Turn sideways & reach in blindly with one arm. Try putting a folded blanket away that way. Yet I have a ginormous bathroom closet. Go figure.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #568
delmar411
DIS Veteran

I managed to inspire DD14 to destash 2 garbage bags of clothes from her closet. She wears the same 5or 6 things every day so it was about time! I've been tossing her holey socks as they come through the wash too so she should be getting down to the clothes she really likes and wears.

I also went through my dresser drawers again and pulled out a grocery bag worth of stuff that I know I will never wear again.

I was supposed to take the paint cans to be recycled yesterday but didn't have enough time in the morning so I'll have to wait until the 9th before I can take them. I think I'll bring the, to the front door area so they are annoying and visible and I will make it a priority to get rid of them. Lol

Im not sure what to do with a large bin of postit notes. Some years back I got like well over 100 packs of them for free but I have no use for them. I might check with the kids school to see if they might be able to use them.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #569
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

OMG! DH finally tackled his closet!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #570
Mouse7116
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post

Congrats on your new little one! I'm impressed you are getting anything done w/a new baby around.
Thanks! I'm not one to sit around much, but it is the lack of sleep that is doing me in....

Hopefully I'll really be able to dig into things soon.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: