Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #511
4 Ears
previously 8 Ears

Watching Hoarders

Took 2 minutes and threw away a baseball cap that hurst my head when I wear it , an inexpensive ring that had lost it's pearl , and a pair of slipper socks that had got a bit thin
Next commercial I will see what else I can find
Pop 2007
Pop 2009
Off site/DCL Magic Western Caribbean 2011
AMU Feb 2012
4 Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #512
4 Ears
previously 8 Ears

After 2 commercials

Gone are 3 combs, really how many does one need? As well as 3 pairs of earrings that hurt when I wear I wear them

Next commercial, scraps of material ...

Have you destashed anything this Friday evening?
Pop 2007
Pop 2009
AMU Feb 2012
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #513
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaucoup View Post
DH has agreed we will both go thru all our clothes drawers & closets this weekend. Hoping he sticks to his word. Not holding my breath.

Haven't watched any episodes of Hoarders in months, so turned it on tonight for some motivation.
Ditto. DH mentioned needing to clear out his closet, we'll see. I love/hate watching that show but it is such good motivation! Mine is in good shape but there is a laundry basket full of stuff I need to bag up for Goodwill. There is another basket in the garage of kid stuff I either need to consign or donate.

Since it's a 3 day weekend & DS is home sick, I should have time to tackle some stuff tomorrow. I love making progress and have been stalled out lately. I have not yet taken those things to GW that I was going to take so hoping to get that done by Monday after I add to the pile.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #514
ferrytale
Mouseketeer

Trying to decide what to tackle this weekend....:-\
Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #515
mward73
Mouseketeer

We're in the process of building built-in bookshelves. DH had taken the tables I need to work on the these to a friend's and forgot to bring them home, so I took the 45 minutes I had before picking the kid up at school and cleaned the garage. Got rid of all the trash, boxes, leaves that accumulated, moved some stuff to the shelves where it belongs. In the end, I had 3 huge trash cans full and can now see the floor on both sides of the garage (had previously only been able to park 1 car).

Now I can use that space for a woodworking shop and move the tables I needed to a separate area to start seedlings for my garden.

Also this week, I moved the kids into 1 bedroom (they had been sharing, but clothes were still separate). So I cleaned 2 bedrooms and got rid of all the "little kid" stuff (clothes, toys, etc).

DH thinks I'm sick or something. I NEVER clean this much.
mward73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #516
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mward73
We're in the process of building built-in bookshelves. DH had taken the tables I need to work on the these to a friend's and forgot to bring them home, so I took the 45 minutes I had before picking the kid up at school and cleaned the garage. Got rid of all the trash, boxes, leaves that accumulated, moved some stuff to the shelves where it belongs. In the end, I had 3 huge trash cans full and can now see the floor on both sides of the garage (had previously only been able to park 1 car).

Now I can use that space for a woodworking shop and move the tables I needed to a separate area to start seedlings for my garden.

Also this week, I moved the kids into 1 bedroom (they had been sharing, but clothes were still separate). So I cleaned 2 bedrooms and got rid of all the "little kid" stuff (clothes, toys, etc).

DH thinks I'm sick or something. I NEVER clean this much.
DH said the same thing when I started to get on rolls like that. He would ask "who are you and what have you done with my wife?" Ha!

Good for you getting rid of so much and making more useable space!
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #517
4 Ears
previously 8 Ears

More...

Remembered I had another base ball cap that was questionable. It is white but had a huge stan on it. Washed it, stain didnt come out but the cap went out, out to the trash.

Then had the idea to go through the tool draws, you know the ones that have the stray nails, picture hangers, fuses.... I destashed a grocery bag of packages.

Hmm, what's next?
Pop 2007
Pop 2009
AMU Feb 2012
Old 02-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #518
MOpGrad2013
Mouseketeer

Our front hallway is full of full boxes (2x1x1 size) that are filled with items to take over to the thrift store. Went through the baby clothes...kept what I really would want again. Then books. There are more of these items at the storage unit and in the garage, but at least I know we moved something. DS18 has been working in his room and has about 3 more of these boxes stuffed full.

"Just keep sorting...just keep sorting...sorting, sorting..."
Old 02-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #519
TI double-GUH ER
Mouseketeer

Well DH made his first contribution to destashing - got rid of a mug we never use, and has someone's advertising on it. Granted we need to get rid of many more mugs, but hey at least it's a start!

I went through some jewelry and got rid of a few bracelets, earrings and a set of fake fingernails that were never used! More to do in that drawer, but we'll see what happens this weekend.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #520
susanv
Mouseketeer

Well I still haven't gotten to cleaning out the basement yet, but I did manage to get rid of two big bags of trash! You can see the floor in the kids rooms and there is no junk lying around!!!! YAY!!! The four year old even felt motivated to make her older sister's bed because she liked it so much. So far no clothes strewn around the room and it has been almost 21 hours. Progress!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #521
ski_mom
DIS Veteran

I finally have something to post !

I did a bunch of returns today that I've been putting off. I had things to return to Kohls, JCPenney, CJ Banks, Cato and Office Depot. I got them all returned which got a bunch of stuff out of my basement.

I also have 2 returns from online purchases and I got the return labels printed out and everything boxed up ready to go. I'm going to take them to work on Monday for pickup since we have ups come daily.

I also got one big box of stuff dropped off at Goodwill while I was out shopping!

It's not much, but makes me feel much better!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #522
goofytiggerfan
Mouseketeer

My husband and I went to home depot and bought 2 of these cubbie shelves with cubes for our kids closet and a bench with cubbies. We then cleaned out an old dresser we were using for my son and put his stuff in the cubes in the closet, got rid of clothes that are too small and too big (hand me downs), shoes, bags, and belts in the bench cubbies, and built a book shelf on the wall. This eliminated a desk (which was moved to another room, piles of books beneath that desk, a dresser, and now there is room in the closet and the dressers are decluttered on top. It felt good when we were done. And I used a ton of Thirty One items to de-clutter!
September 2007 2days @ POP & Our first MNSSHP September 2009 2wks @ POP & MNSSHP December 2011 3 nights on the Dream!! Eeeek! Then Two nights @ Caribbean Beach, The MVMCP, and Hollywood Studios!!! to many firsts for one trip4th of July in Disney World!! 5 days at Port Orleans Riverside and One night at POP Fingers crossed for a Vow Renewal in 2014 @ Disney or DCL

[/FONT]
goofytiggerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #523
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

I haven't read through all of this post but I am sooooo in! l retired march of last year and was just over whelmed by how much stuff I had in the house. I didn't want to have company come over because it was to much work to clean and move things out of the way. my basement was full of boxes that never got unpacked when we moved TEN years ago! TEN! to me it was obvious that we didn't need what ever was in the boxes cause we got along fine with out the stuff. that was the new me, the old me would have said, it must have been important stuff if we packed it and brought it with us, right??

then the magic happened! I ran across a couple books about minimilisim and they opened my eyes.....and my doors. things went flying out and quickly. the tips the books gave, more like little rules, were so helpful. dh told me to stay away from his stuff so every other day I would ask him little questions about where he was going to put this or that. just little bugs in the ear. as soon as he figured out I was no longer going to be the keeper of this 'stuff' it soon became junk and 'lets get rid of it'.
long story short, I half emptied my house but i'm not finished yet. i've been through most every thing once, now its time to refocus and look at it all again. more has to go.
now i'll go back and look over the rest of the thread cause this has me excited to start going again.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #524
MOpGrad2013
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
I haven't read through all of this post but I am sooooo in! l retired march of last year and was just over whelmed by how much stuff I had in the house. I didn't want to have company come over because it was to much work to clean and move things out of the way. my basement was full of boxes that never got unpacked when we moved TEN years ago! TEN! to me it was obvious that we didn't need what ever was in the boxes cause we got along fine with out the stuff. that was the new me, the old me would have said, it must have been important stuff if we packed it and brought it with us, right??

then the magic happened! I ran across a couple books about minimilisim and they opened my eyes.....and my doors. things went flying out and quickly. the tips the books gave, more like little rules, were so helpful. dh told me to stay away from his stuff so every other day I would ask him little questions about where he was going to put this or that. just little bugs in the ear. as soon as he figured out I was no longer going to be the keeper of this 'stuff' it soon became junk and 'lets get rid of it'.
long story short, I half emptied my house but i'm not finished yet. i've been through most every thing once, now its time to refocus and look at it all again. more has to go.
now i'll go back and look over the rest of the thread cause this has me excited to start going again.
Hooray for you! And even more for showing DH that he has to be responsible for his own "specials." Going through the same issue with my DH. He is the one to say we need to get rid of clutter, but when we get closer to his items...the stop sign comes out. He's out of town this weekend so I stopped by his tshirt drawer and removed those that have stains and are too small (size s, but he's a l-xl ). He is afraid to get rid of anything that was given to him as a gift in case the gifter shows up. Um, yeah, they are all living more than 1000 miles away and only visit once every few years.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #525
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Joining in. Since I've joined the debt dumpers thread and dh and I are committed to not spending $$, I will have lots of time to clean crap out of my house. LOL

Laughing at reading some of the things people are throwing out. Off to find something to get rid off .....

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: