Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #436
carebee21
DIS Veteran

DH spent a good portion of his day off on Thursday working on the garage. He got about three large trash bags of junk and garbage thrown away.

I've been working on smaller projects every night. I finished going through all of the drawers and cabinets in our bathroom and went through mine and DS's bookshelf and put together a donation bag full of books.

Today both DH and I have been working on decluttering. DH has been focusing on the garage. I haven't gone out there yet to see what kind of progress he has made. And I've focused on more things in the house. I spent a decent amount of time in DS's closet and got rid of a large garbage bag of more old shoes I found, random little junk toys, a few more stuffed animals and other little odds and ends. Then I went through the drawers and cupboards in the kitchen and looked to see if there was anything else I could toss and got rid of a small bit.

I really need to go through all of our DVDs so that may be what we do tonight and DSs room still needs so much work. It feels like the bottomless pit of toys, but we are definitely making progress and you can really see a difference in how much space the house and closets now have.

Happy De-Cluttering Everyone!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #437
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

I worked on my older two boys' room today, I'm really happy with it now! I got a box of outgrown/unwanted toys and electronics out of there that I'm going to go through later to decide what to try to sell and what to donate. I also got some other toys out of there, but they went to the youngest two boys' room so not out of the house, but they did have room for most of them, their room is bigger than the older boys'.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #438
carebee21
DIS Veteran

Yesterday ended up being a great de-cluttering day for us. We ended up getting a lot done.

As I mentioned earlier, I spent a lot of time in DSs room. I got a bag of trash out of the closet and I put together a box of old toys that is either going to the garage sale or being donated. And then I went through my master bedroom closet again, and pulled out another bag of clothes to be donated. I have so many clothes, so every time I pull some out, I started hanging up ones that are sitting on the shelf in the closet, sitting on top of my dresser, thrown in a tote in the corner of my room, or piled on the chest. My chest is finally cleared off, the dresser is cleared off and the tote and shelf are both about halfway cleared off. So I still have a bit more work, but a lot is getting done.

DH spent his day in the garage again. He didn't get out as much trash this time, but he did manage to get things organized and consolidate things. He has a sports card and comic shop, so when he doesn't have room at his store, things make their way into the garage. So he's slowly going to start taking it all back there.

We finished up our night by going through our DVDs. We haven't ever done that so we had DVDs that we bought and only watched one time and would never watch again, movies that just don't interest us anymore and tons of toddler dvds that my son will never watch again. Those all went in a box and if DH has a yard sale, we'll throw them out then, if not, they'll be donated.

And then, I had two people from Craigslist show up and buy things, which helped to clear out more space. And two new items were listed in there place.

My goal this week is to get through the medicine cupboard and cabinets, and then Sunday, I have a couple of boxes of old paperwork DH found in the garage to shred while we're watching the Superbowl.

Goals Accomplished So Far in 2013:
Decluttering All of the Christmas Decorations: Got everything down to 1 large tote
DH and My Closet and Dressers: 5 bag of trash; 9 large bags of clothing donated
DH and My Bathroom: One bag of garbage donated
Coat Closet: Got rid of old jackets and consolidated hats/gloves/scarves
Kitchen: Organized container cupboard: 1 bag of garbage removed
Organized Cup Cupboard: 1 bag of garbage removed
Linen Closets: 2 large bags of linens donated
1 bag of garbage gone
DS's Room: Two large bags of stuffed animals gone
Board Games Missing Pieces Gone/All other board games sorted
Two large bag of junk toys gone
One large bag of toys donated
One large box for Garage Sale
DS's Bathroom Drawers and Cabinet: 1 bag of garbage removed
Backyard: 1 bag of old garden decorations thrown away
Garage: 4 large bags of garbage gone

Last edited by carebee21; 01-28-2013 at 02:32 PM.
carebee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #439
ah1126
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamin_disney View Post
After reading this thread earlier I ended up going through one of my paper binay stubs, medical papers, dental, dd's school papers test scores, misc and bills.
I ended up getting rid of a grocery size bag of the envelopes all the papers came in. I have a lot to shred and will hopefully work on that tomorrow.

I want to file my stuff and put together a folder of all my medical paperwork and procedures I've had done the last 2 months. Keep a log of my annual physicals, mammograms,etc.

I have a small file cabinet that is full of stuff from the last 10 years medical paper, dd's glasses recipts, bank statments and pay stubs(i've been at my job for 18 years and I kept about the last 14 years. I really want to shred the old pay stubs but not sure if I should just keep the last years , last 5 years etc. any suggestions?

I'm so tired of having to shred papers-lol! Hopefully this year will be the last since my goal is to pay off my debt this year.

I try and put the years pay stubs in the envelope with all our tax info. I never know when to throw stuff out either.
ah1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #440
C_leen
DIS Veteran

Slow but Sure!

This weekend I was a little overwhelmed by all the laundry that had to be done in my house! Yikes! But yesterday I did consolidate all the recent Goodwill bags and put them all into one place for a donation trip. I also went through my pajama drawer yesterday. Totally emptied it out, wiped it out, replaced the drawer liner, and then sorted everything out. Putting away laundry should now get easier...
2/2014 Princess HALF
C_leen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #441
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbornkuntry

My DS wouldn't part with any of his stuffed animals so I dumped out the smooshed styrofoam stuff in his beanbag chair and put his animals and an indoor sleeping bag in it. He was pretty happy with that. We saved out a couple favorites for him to sleep with still.
I should clarify: my DS#1 won't part with any! The ones I found to move out were the ones that have been dumped in DS#2 closet & have been for years. Even still I didn't let anyone see for fear that would be a "favorite" we'd have to keep, KWIM?
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #442
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

This year I am totally committed! This will be my year!
I had my first experience selling on Craig's List - and it went perfectly. Made $45 and got rid of one of the giant baby things that I've been storing for 5 years! I have two more items listed on CL and one on ebay.
We did a lot of organizing over the weekend, but didn't get rid of much else yet.
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #443
Scrap4me
Mouseketeer

Let's hear it for everyone's Sunday being great de-clutter days!

My husband has finally decided to part with all of his collected computer bits and pieces! He loves tinkering with old computers and has collected so much, that it is all out dated (by a decade or more). We spent 4 hours yesterday wiping old hard drives and stripping 6 computers of truly useful parts (not much, thank goodness).

Now we only have 1 computer for everyone and then 1 extra...I am so happy right now! So, tomorrow morning, I drop a car load off at Goodwill and then back to load up with computer stuff to go to the electronics recycling center! I have battled this stuff for years...to see it go, I may just cry!

Now to tackle my holiday decorations --it was unanimous with everyone, I should only decorate for Halloween and Christmas and a door wreath for Easter and Thanksgiving....so I get to purge more stuff!

I love to De-Clutter!
Scrap4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #444
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

I also need to do holiday decorations, but don't know if I could agree to wreath only. I am better at decluttering things that aren't mine
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #445
4 Ears
previously 8 Ears

I destashed a long sleeve shirt that had really long sleeves and every time I wore it I it made me grouchy.
4 Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #446
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebee21 View Post
Yesterday ended up being a great de-cluttering day for us. We ended up getting a lot done.

As I mentioned earlier, I spent a lot of time in DSs room. I got a bag of trash out of the closet and I put together a box of old toys that is either going to the garage sale or being donated. And then I went through my master bedroom closet again, and pulled out another bag of clothes to be donated. I have so many clothes, so every time I pull some out, I started hanging up ones that are sitting on the shelf in the closet, sitting on top of my dresser, thrown in a tote in the corner of my room, or piled on the chest. My chest is finally cleared off, the dresser is cleared off and the tote and shelf are both about halfway cleared off. So I still have a bit more work, but a lot is getting done.

DH spent his day in the garage again. He didn't get out as much trash this time, but he did manage to get things organized and consolidate things. He has a sports card and comic shop, so when he doesn't have room at his store, things make their way into the garage. So he's slowly going to start taking it all back there.

We finished up our night by going through our DVDs. We haven't ever done that so we had DVDs that we bought and only watched one time and would never watch again, movies that just don't interest us anymore and tons of toddler dvds that my son will never watch again. Those all went in a box and if DH has a yard sale, we'll throw them out then, if not, they'll be donated.

And then, I had two people from Craigslist show up and buy things, which helped to clear out more space. And two new items were listed in there place.

My goal this week is to get through the medicine cupboard and cabinets, and then Sunday, I have a couple of boxes of old paperwork DH found in the garage to shred while we're watching the Superbowl.

Goals Accomplished So Far in 2013:
Decluttering All of the Christmas Decorations: Got everything down to 1 large tote
DH and My Closet and Dressers: 5 bag of trash; 9 large bags of clothing donated
DH and My Bathroom: One bag of garbage donated
Coat Closet: Got rid of old jackets and consolidated hats/gloves/scarves
Kitchen: Organized container cupboard: 1 bag of garbage removed
Organized Cup Cupboard: 1 bag of garbage removed
Linen Closets: 2 large bags of linens donated
1 bag of garbage gone
DS's Room: Two large bags of stuffed animals gone
Board Games Missing Pieces Gone/All other board games sorted
Two large bag of junk toys gone
One large bag of toys donated
One large box for Garage Sale
DS's Bathroom Drawers and Cabinet: 1 bag of garbage removed
Backyard: 1 bag of old garden decorations thrown away
Garage: 4 large bags of garbage gone
GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I had your motivation.

ok I'm going to go shred my big pile of papers
Old 01-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #447
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

Just about done my room, 10 days ahead of my schedule

Got all my drawers cleaned out, cleaned the baseboards, all the trim, doors, windows, floors and every decorative item with a big bucket of Lysol. Smells so nice!

Next up is repainting, then picking up the new curtains. That room is now done and it's onto DD3's room!

Here is my plan..

Great Cleanup 2013
Week one...downstairs bath
Week two...my room
Week three...L's room
Week four...dining room
Week five...living room
Week six...upstairs bath
Week seven...playroom
Week eight...E's room
Week nine...M's room and attic
Week ten...breakfast room
Week eleven...kitchen
Week twelve...basement
Week thirteen...basement
Week fourteen...shed / porch
Week fifteen...yard / garden

Goal: Every drawer, closet, cabinet, toybox, etc totally sorted through, cleaned out and put back. Entire room top to bottom Lysol clean.

Room Flop!
Our room - paint, build tv cabinet, put in new tv
Basement prepped and ready - fix corner, paint one half, curtain off other side. Bring down our old tv & stand, kitchen storage bench goes down.
Move playroom down to basement
Prep playroom - paint, install carpet, new bed. Move L up
Empty kitchen, use L's empty room for storage
Gut and Totally Renovate Kitchen!!
Move office to L's room

It's a lot, but I'm on a mission! :D

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #448
QVCshopper
DIS Veteran

I've been working on this, too. I have sold a walker, two bumbo seats, stroller, and car seat covers, plus gave away a bag of baby toys. Tomorrow I'm selling a container of blocks and sleep sacks. We just don't need it now that our baby is a bit bigger. I also found a computer recycling event this weekend, so maybe we can finally say goodbye to hubby's old iMac. And I am trying very hard to not bring anything into the house that isn't disposable, like food, shampoo, etc. It's hard and I slip up sometimes (kids clothes especially), but if we don't have as much coming in, then it will make a difference over time.
QVCshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #449
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I had your motivation.

ok I'm going to go shred my big pile of papers
Just finished shredding paper. I emptied two buckets of shredded stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny3 View Post
Here is my plan..

Great Cleanup 2013
Week one...downstairs bath
Week two...my room
Week three...L's room
Week four...dining room
Week five...living room
Week six...upstairs bath
Week seven...playroom
Week eight...E's room
Week nine...M's room and attic
Week ten...breakfast room
Week eleven...kitchen
Week twelve...basement
Week thirteen...basement
Week fourteen...shed / porch
Week fifteen...yard / garden

Goal: Every drawer, closet, cabinet, toybox, etc totally sorted through, cleaned out and put back. Entire room top to bottom Lysol clean.
I wish I could stick to a schedule like that but I have to bve in the mood to declutter and it comes in spurts-lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QVCshopper View Post
I've been working on this, too. I have sold a walker, two bumbo seats, stroller, and car seat covers, plus gave away a bag of baby toys. Tomorrow I'm selling a container of blocks and sleep sacks. We just don't need it now that our baby is a bit bigger. I also found a computer recycling event this weekend, so maybe we can finally say goodbye to hubby's old iMac. And I am trying very hard to not bring anything into the house that isn't disposable, like food, shampoo, etc. It's hard and I slip up sometimes (kids clothes especially), but if we don't have as much coming in, then it will make a difference over time.
I've sold several items but stopped posting around Christmas. I need to be more active about it, maybe I'll repost what I have now . I still need to take photos of more items but that will wait
Old 01-29-2013, 05:52 AM   #450
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wish I could stick to a schedule like that but I have to bve in the mood to declutter and it comes in spurts-lol!
I'm usually like that too, but I want my kitchen, LOL After 11 years of living here and hating our current kitchen, we're finally going to do it. Eye on the prize!

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: