Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #376
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebee21
Yay! DH was off today and wouldn't you know it, the person who was supposed to come by and pick up something on Craigslist actually showed up for him. Just when I was starting to lose my patience with putting things on that site. I had someone email me later this evening about coming by tomorrow night to look at something else I had up, so hopefully I get rid of that item too. And since I got rid of something, I listed another item.

I had asked DH to do a few decluttering tasks but he didn't get as far as I would have liked. He did shred all the papers I had sitting on the counter and got about a half bag of garbage from that. He didn't do much else than that. Oh well, I guess it's something, right?
I would like this kind of help from DH. My DH was home Wednesday & he "helped" me by emptying the top of the dresser onto the bed for me to "do something with". He then went to the computer. It wouldn't have annoyed me so except I *had* to get the dried outdoor Christmas lights packed away & downstairs & the wreath repaired to clear the garage. I wanted to do it on the 40 degree day, not the 17 degree days that were preceeding & coming after. I also had to monitor homework & make dinner at the same time while my little guy was napping. I did finally finish before bed & it does look better, but was it "helpful"? Oh yeah, he carried up 2 totes of clothes for me to wash while I was in the middle of all this.....

However, dressertop is clear, Christmas is finally done & away & we ate 4 meals at home this week. Small successes.
dsneprincess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #377
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Addicted View Post
Hey, you know what might be fun to do? (Now maybe this has been done in past years, but I'm new to the thread and do not know).

What about taking before & after photos and posting them here? I wish I had taken a photo of my hallway closet before it was all cleared & cleaned out.

I'll take photos of our "craft closet" and "junk room basement". What a shock those photos will be.
Love this idea!................P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #378
carebee21
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsneprincess View Post
I would like this kind of help from DH. My DH was home Wednesday & he "helped" me by emptying the top of the dresser onto the bed for me to "do something with". He then went to the computer. It wouldn't have annoyed me so except I *had* to get the dried outdoor Christmas lights packed away & downstairs & the wreath repaired to clear the garage. I wanted to do it on the 40 degree day, not the 17 degree days that were preceeding & coming after. I also had to monitor homework & make dinner at the same time while my little guy was napping. I did finally finish before bed & it does look better, but was it "helpful"? Oh yeah, he carried up 2 totes of clothes for me to wash while I was in the middle of all this.....

However, dressertop is clear, Christmas is finally done & away & we ate 4 meals at home this week. Small successes.
Yikes! I'm sorry. That would make me livid!

I'm probably driving my DH crazy nagging him to help me. But we're moving and everything has to fit into two moving pods. Plus he's going a month before me and DS, so anything he doesn't finish up, will be left to me to finish de-cluttering, packing, etc. And I really don't want to get stuck with everything because he didn't want to help on his days off.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #379
mrssmith06
DIS Veteran

Destash update #1

I did some of my destashing/organizing yesterday and took pics (I got after pics but no before ones, sorry! ) I decided to start in the kitchen...

*Sorry if the pics are still huge for you, I had them resized on photobucket but it's just not applying here yet for some reason...??? NM...fixed it! Thanks Robbi!

To free up some drawer space, I rolled my kitchen rags and put them in this bowl by the sink. And put my pot holders in a basket by the stove:

Then with a drawer now free, I put all of my measuring spoon and cups in it, since they were scattered around the kitchen!

And finally got my tupperware cabinet straightened out and threw several away that were stained or no longer had matching lids!!! This cabinet would collapse and it would all fall out when we opened it because it was so full lol... this is so much better!

That is all for now. Hoping to get some more done later today!

Last edited by mrssmith06; 01-18-2013 at 03:05 PM.
mrssmith06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #380
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Sounds like your DH needs husband boot camp. Bless you, you're a better woman than I am because I would not have put up with it. When he brought the laundry for me to do, I would have thrown his clothes downstairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrssmith06 View Post
I did some of my destashing/organizing yesterday and took pics (I got after pics but no before ones, sorry! ) I decided to start in the kitchen...

*Sorry if the pics are still huge for you, I had them resized on photobucket but it's just not applying here yet for some reason...???

To free up some drawer space, I rolled my kitchen rags and put them in this bowl by the sink. And put my pot holders in a basket by the stove:

Then with a drawer now free, I put all of my measuring spoon and cups in it, since they were scattered around the kitchen!

And finally got my tupperware cabinet straightened out and threw several away that were stained or no longer had matching lids!!! This cabinet would collapse and it would all fall out when we opened it because it was so full lol... this is so much better!

That is all for now. Hoping to get some more done later today!
Beautiful and what a great idea for the towels! I love Mickey in the drawer. That would bring a smile to my face when I open the drawer.
To make a picture smaller, put th_ before the name of the picture. In this case, th_ was put before DSC. It is not always the same and sometimes I have to preview my posts to make sure I haven't eliminated my picture.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #381
jenluvs2go2disney
Mouseketeer

I was able to get an appt. last minute this morning to take more stuff to the consignment shop. I took a large rubbermaid bin, so more stuff gone.

I have 2 large bins that I am going to go put in my trunk to take tomorrow to another consignment shop, then I have a bag to drop at goodwill along with whatever they don't take.

I am trying to keep moving on cleaning the stuff out, but it's getting busy again with school and kid stuff.

On a busy day, I am just trying to get rid of 10 things in the trash, sell, or donate pile, so far that seems to be working.
jenluvs2go2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #382
rhonda_2003
Mouseketeer

Kids rooms completed-for now at least

Spend several hours in the kids' rooms today. My three year old little boy is a great help at cleaning his room. He helped me find a bag of stuff that he doesn't play with anymore-the huge clear jumbo sized bags like offices use-and another bag half-full of trash. Everything in his room has a place and he doesn't have a massive over-abundance of toys. He likes what he likes and doesn't want the rest in his way.

The daughter is another story.....She's just six but hates to part with anything! She did manage to get rid of about a 1/3 of a bag of stuff that she doesn't play with anymore and I got almost an entire bag of trash (mostly boxes that she had kept from Christmas/birthday new toys and old artwork/coloring pages and broken crayons/colored pencils). We did finally get everything put away.

Oh and combined from the two rooms, we got over fifty books that they have either outgrown or worn completely out. Those suitable for donation will be given the high school's literacy program where books are donated to organizations in the area that serve young children and their families.

Even with all of that, so much more needs to go out of their rooms. I think they would play much more if there wasn't so much to distract them!

OKW-May 2012-with all four of us plus 5 of our friends
CSR-Dec 2011-DS's first trip
POFQ-June 2009-DD's first trip; I was 6 months pregnant too!
CBR-Mar 2003-Our honeymoon....worst trip in history!
Several off-site visits as a kid
rhonda_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #383
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

WOW! Lots of great work and updates since I last posted. Unfortunately working full time and having a child in school takes away the time I'd love to be working around the house

Last weekend my goal was to organize the coat closet so we could then move items that were in the laundry there. We got another bag ready for goodwill and now the coat closet has more room for the jackets my DS leaves in the laundry room and the laundry room was cleaned top to bottom. It's sparkling now and so much nicer walking in from the garage and that's the first thing you see!

My sons bedroom will be next and it's going to be a doozy since new furniture will likely be involved. We are going to Ikea on Monday and we are considering a loft bed to allow something else to go underneath (like a sofa bed, desk, etc) and then he needs a bigger bookcase since he has tons of books. It will likely take a few weekends to go through all his things, move out, then back in but the greatest thing is HE is so eager to help and get it done!

Keep up the great work everyone!

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 (Dream), 12/2012 Mom & I (Fantasy), 6/2013 (Wonder-Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), & 1/2014 Magic. Next: 4/2014 (Fantasy) & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #384
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInTheMagic
WOW! Lots of great work and updates since I last posted. Unfortunately working full time and having a child in school takes away the time I'd love to be working around the house

Last weekend my goal was to organize the coat closet so we could then move items that were in the laundry there. We got another bag ready for goodwill and now the coat closet has more room for the jackets my DS leaves in the laundry room and the laundry room was cleaned top to bottom. It's sparkling now and so much nicer walking in from the garage and that's the first thing you see!

My sons bedroom will be next and it's going to be a doozy since new furniture will likely be involved. We are going to Ikea on Monday and we are considering a loft bed to allow something else to go underneath (like a sofa bed, desk, etc) and then he needs a bigger bookcase since he has tons of books. It will likely take a few weekends to go through all his things, move out, then back in but the greatest thing is HE is so eager to help and get it done!

Heather
Keep us up to date on the loft bed. We are thinking the same thing for DS. We are quite far from IKEA, tho, so probably won't do until summer. I would like to know how it works out for you. TIA
Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #385
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInTheMagic View Post

Heather
I'm not sure how old your DS is or how you handle bedtimes but we found lofts beds put an end to bedtime stories because we couldn't sit up there with the girls. It was one of the motivating factors to get rid of the loft beds and get them back into standard beds. Just something to think about that we didn't realize until after it was too late.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #386
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

That was one of the mixed reviews I've heard too. Also, if they are sick in the night, trying to get to them or them trying to get down quickly. I am wondering how pp will make out as well.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #387
Anastasia
Mouseketeer

I have not posted in two weeks, and have only gotten a few things done, but I am still very motivated.

I did my closet, which wasn't too tough, but it is always nice to walk into a clean closet!

In the kitchen, I reorganized all of the drawers, and my towels, washcloths, and utensils. It looks so much nicer now.

Today, the office! I love the idea of posting before and after pics, but I wouldn't show anyone a picture of this mess!!! It is REEEEEAAAALLLY bad! How do I let it get like this?

We are going to be replacing all of the flooring in our home in the next few months, so that is definitely motivation to get organized. Also my son graduates in June, so we are planning a big party. I am looking forward to being proud of my neat and organized home!
Anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #388
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Keep us up to date on the loft bed. We are thinking the same thing for DS. We are quite far from IKEA, tho, so probably won't do until summer. I would like to know how it works out for you. TIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
I'm not sure how old your DS is or how you handle bedtimes but we found lofts beds put an end to bedtime stories because we couldn't sit up there with the girls. It was one of the motivating factors to get rid of the loft beds and get them back into standard beds. Just something to think about that we didn't realize until after it was too late.
Quote:
That was one of the mixed reviews I've heard too. Also, if they are sick in the night, trying to get to them or them trying to get down quickly. I am wondering how pp will make out as well.
Interesting - and good obvious point we hadn't even thought about as far as the book reading and we are big on this! I was planning on getting him
A sofa bed to put under the loft for several reasons including the times he might be sick and didn't want to go up top.

I think you guys are helping me lean towards not doing the loft. We talked about it at dinner and I was already leaning towards thinking no. We will likely focus on more organizational items and a bigger bookcase and updated sheets and duvet set.

BTW he is 9. Another friend mentioned once he goes through another growth spurt he might outgrow it too soon.

Thanks for the thoughts guys and ill kep you posted!!

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 (Dream), 12/2012 Mom & I (Fantasy), 6/2013 (Wonder-Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), & 1/2014 Magic. Next: 4/2014 (Fantasy) & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #389
mrssmith06
DIS Veteran

Some more of my progress in the kitchen...

I did my baking cabinet & my junk drawer in there:

I bought a pan organizer at Walmart for $4 for this-
Before:After:

And I bought a drawer organizer kit for $8-
Before:After:
Old 01-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #390
delmar411
DIS Veteran

I have been lacking motivation to do much but I did finally have to deal with the boys room and their clothes. I pulled out a huge pile of clothes from their room to donate. They have a crazy amount of clothes and even though I've pulled clothes out over and over there are still too many shirts in their closet. But at least everything is back where it belongs and we'll be able to bless someone else with some nearly new shirts.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: