Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #151
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephany
All of the Christmas stuff is down and packed away. Every cardboard box that DH was saving 'just in case' was hauled down to the recycling center this afternoon so now's there's a big empty spot in my living room. I also managed to buy some plastic shoeboxes as Target has them on sale (87 cents each), now I just gotta find the label maker.

I'm looking for storage to place on either side of the tv stand. Ours is dark wood and I'd like to find something that is tall, dark wood-like, and has either doors or frosted glass on the front. I figure one can hold dvds/wii games/etc.. and the other one will hold games and perhaps crafts for DD. I'm heading to IKEA tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to find some ideas. Don't really need them until after April when we start moving home, but I want to start looking now. I figure if we move in right, maybe we'll do a better job of not finding ourselves overwhelmed in a few years.
If you can only find something you like with clear glass there is an awesome spray you can use to "frost it yourself." Buy it at the craft store or hardware store near the crackle spray paint (do they still make that stuff? Lol). Spray it on the inside of the glass. Two coats and done.

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011
Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean May 2013
Sapphire Princess California Coastal January 2014
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #152
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish.Glenn

I have never sold on Craigslist how does it work? Photos? Do you meet in a public place?
Thanks for the info!!
My father in law always uses a line something like this when someone calls to see something he's selling, "I was just on my way out so how about I meet you at...." He NEVER has anyone come to the house. And he has sold A LOT of stuff. Can't ever be too safe.

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011
Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean May 2013
Sapphire Princess California Coastal January 2014
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #153
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I went through my clothes this morning. It was mostly packing up the summer clothes for storage, folding what's left and putting it away in an orderly fashion. Some time last year, I ruthlessly went through my clothes for things to donate or throw away so there were only 2 shirts that I don't want anymore. I just have my sock & underwear drawer to work on then my dresser and closet are done. That will be this weekend.

After that is the coat closet...it's so packed, I can't hang my coat in there anymore. The boots & shoes are piled up to the coats on the floor. The stuff on the shelf is so stacked, it's inaccessible. This is the closet DH really does not want to work on b/c it's a lot of his stuff but he's going to have to give on this a little.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #154
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluvsdisney View Post
After that is the coat closet...it's so packed, I can't hang my coat in there anymore. The boots & shoes are piled up to the coats on the floor. The stuff on the shelf is so stacked, it's inaccessible. This is the closet DH really does not want to work on b/c it's a lot of his stuff but he's going to have to give on this a little.
We have the same problem -- DH has army uniforms taking up half of our coat closet that are not useable anymore because 1) they've changed style; and 2) he's retired. He keeps thinking he can sell them.

But I'm not about to fight this with him this early on, when the rest of the house needs decluttering.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #155
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

My DH is reluctant to destash too, but I find that the more I do it, the more 'insipired' he becomes to. So just keep plugging along and maybe he will catch the spirit.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #156
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesmurfs View Post
We have the same problem -- DH has army uniforms taking up half of our coat closet that are not useable anymore because 1) they've changed style; and 2) he's retired. He keeps thinking he can sell them.

But I'm not about to fight this with him this early on, when the rest of the house needs decluttering.
I am in the final stretch...it's this closet and the desk which is also packed up with a lot of his crap, oh I mean treasured possessions. By treasured possessions, I mean old cell phones and junky sunglasses.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #157
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
My DH is reluctant to destash too, but I find that the more I do it, the more 'insipired' he becomes to. So just keep plugging along and maybe he will catch the spirit.
I will admit he's been a really good sport about all my decluttering from just letting me have at it and taking me to the thrift store with car loads of things to donate. But he actually declared this closet off limits six months ago.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #158
goofyredraider
DIS Veteran

Took a load to OUAC yesterday of the kids outgrown things - made a quick $160 for the Disney fund!
Then took a big load to Goodwill this morning of odds and ends. I am going to try to get a few more things together this weekend, but unfortunately, my decluttering will be put on hold until spring break again (I teach).

DS(8) DS (11)DD (12)

POR July 2011, POR May 2012, BC June 2012 ; POFQ, AKL, & BC June 2013 (23 night stay!!); POR December 2013,
ASMo for Princess Half Marathon- February 2014
AoA/POFQ split stay - June 2014
**COMING SOON*** Disneyland July 2014
goofyredraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #159
mrsklamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJPLO View Post
My father in law always uses a line something like this when someone calls to see something he's selling, "I was just on my way out so how about I meet you at...." He NEVER has anyone come to the house. And he has sold A LOT of stuff. Can't ever be too safe.
I always just say when I list the item "Pickup is at x mall,' which is close to my house.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #160
Deffenm
DIS Veteran

We got the master bedroom closet cleaned out last night. At first DH complained but by the time we were almost done he was throwing most of his stuff away that he will never wear. I have a stack of stuff to post on Craigs List tonight. DH has dress clothes that he as only worn once and we have a bunch of Adidas shirts/jackets/pants that are like new. So I hope I can get rid of this stuff over the weekend. Tonight my goal is to tackle the cabinet under the sink. Why do we think we need to keep 1000 groceries bags. We use them to clean up after the dog but we don't need 1000.
DD (10)

May 2005 - AsMov
Sept. 2006 - POP
Sept. 2007 - POR
Aug. 2008 - AKL
June. 2010 - CBR (Grand Gathering)
April 2012 - POP
Oct. 2014 - POP
Deffenm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #161
mrsklamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyredraider View Post
Took a load to OUAC yesterday of the kids outgrown things - made a quick $160 for the Disney fund!
Then took a big load to Goodwill this morning of odds and ends. I am going to try to get a few more things together this weekend, but unfortunately, my decluttering will be put on hold until spring break again (I teach).
Between teaching and being a mom I'm sure your days are full full full, but if you don't want to put it on hold until spring break, you might try setting a timer for 15, 10, or even 5 minutes a day and see what you can do in that time. Between now and spring break I bet it would make a big difference!

Last edited by mrsklamc; 01-06-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #162
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesmurfs View Post

I made quite a bit of money off of my DH's old uniforms that they don't use anymore, people buy them for hunting, camping, paintball, etc. MRE's sell really well too. I would encourage him to list them on ebay or craigslist. I even sold some with minor tears in them.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #163
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

I'm not sure who the original poster was, but thank-you so much for the suggestion to "like" Peter Walsh on facebook! I'm loving the short tasks each day.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #164
mrsklamc

Can someone give a brief summary of what day one was? I hate watching videos online- so much prefer to read!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #165
starwood
This mouse GOT her next cruise
I won't even tell my DH what I'm doing. He already thinks I'm nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
Can someone give a brief summary of what day one was? I hate watching videos online- so much prefer to read!
Take 10 minutes and pick one room (preferrably the living room) and put away all the items that have been left out that you've used because of the holiday. Not Christmas tree or lights. I took this to mean dishes/bowls and miscellaneous wrapping/bows...etc.

Today's task was to find a box to keep all of your remotes in one spot and clean them with an antibacterial wipe.

Environmentallity Begins With You
starwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: