Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #31
nooneshome
but us dis shutins-send help or APs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink1953 View Post
Does Disney really think the economy is going to get better any time soon??
Its like they don't want to entice the public to come visit.....prices keep going up and they are offering less ...free dining makes it possible for families to do the character meals which they otherwise could not afford..

I just don't get it????

BArb
ITA The economy is not getting better and may even take a turn for the worse. Our Disney trips are getting further and further apart. It will be two years since our last trip and the new offer just isn't as good for us to book. Maybe if they offered FD we could go.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #32
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink1953
Its like they don't want to entice the public to come visit.....prices keep going up and they are offering less ...free dining makes it possible for families to do the character meals which they otherwise could not afford..

I just don't get it????

BArb
You know Disney is a business, right?
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #33
mommymanda
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshak22 View Post
That's a really good point. Let's say they don't really do any good GP discounts and the rooms book up...win for Disney. Let's say they don't do any good GP discounts and they book some rooms but still have a lot open then they can release a lot of PIN codes to fill up the vacancy. I'm sure there will be a lot of people who will book if they get a PIN code who wanted to book but couldn't without the discounts...fill up the rooms but with less discounts so still a win for Disney.
Makes sense, but a family like me who's been saving for almost a year to go on a unique vacation we've never gone before. I am booking SOMETHING by April, if Disney hasn't released a deal that allows us to afford during our time off than I will be going elsewhere. So if they wait too long they will still lose out buisness from what I see.
mommymanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #34
aubreysmom09
Mouseketeer

I hope something comes out for the last week of October or second week of December. It's a ways off, so I will just be patient. I would be happy with FD,SPD, or even RO. It will make a difference between a week, or 4 nights and us staying at our timeshare going to other parks.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #35
tink1953
Tink rocks!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
You know Disney is a business, right?
Yes and have you ever looked at what they own??

http://www.cjr.org/resources/?c=disney

Why not make the parks afforable like Walt wanted??
Old 01-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #36
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I just don't get it????

BArb
The economy is already and continues to improve. Running that park is terribly expensive and I don't believe they are charging more than it's worth even without the discounts.

Take the new Fantasy Land, Belles Enchanted Tales (what I believe they call it). We were fortunate enough to be able to view a preview run in September. They had 9 people running it, not counting the photographer and handler.

Even at minimum wage (which I know the face character isn't making that), you're looking at $1,000 per day JUST in the people for ONE activity. That doesn't count the capital expense of what was a fascinating building.

Stacy
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #37
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

It's very likely, based on the fact that Disney International (which handles UK and European bookings) has been doing this for several years now with no FD on values, QSDP for mods and DDP for Deluxe resorts. The ray of hope here (and it is HOPE) is that since they have been doing that, FD has covered far more dates with fewer blackouts than the disney.com has had.

Thank you for the info OP. Happy New Year
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #38
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Here in the UK, values get no DDP. Moderates get QSDP and deluxes get DDP. It seems they may be cutting back like it is here.

We do get a lot of FD opportunities here though... All the way through July to December, for example... No specific dates. We also can combine a FD discount with a room discount. Last year we saved 45% on SSR and got free dining. This year we have saved 35% on SSR and got free DDP. Without the discounts, we will not be going back to Disney because we just can't afford it otherwise staying onsite, and we would never want to go staying offsite, the thought!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #39
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Yes and have you ever looked at what they own??

http://www.cjr.org/resources/?c=disney

Why not make the parks affordable like Walt wanted??
How do you believe their holding should effect their discounts?

It is affordable enough that in 2011 17 million people visited and AoA proves that they are adding capacity. There is an economic opportunity cost to making it "cheaper" to go. There would be more visitors, more hotels needed more buses and transportation without the revenue to pay for those things or to make capital investments. Fantasyland alone cost an estimated $300-$425 million dollars to create.

Stacy
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #40
tink1953
Tink rocks!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbright View Post
How do you believe their holding should effect their discounts?

It is affordable enough that in 2011 17 million people visited and AoA proves that they are adding capacity. There is an economic opportunity cost to making it "cheaper" to go. There would be more visitors, more hotels needed more buses and transportation without the revenue to pay for those things or to make capital investments. Fantasyland alone cost an estimated $300-$425 million dollars to create.

Stacy

I just hope they reconsider putting millions into Avatar land....
Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #41
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Not the best news for many. Was hoping to move up from a value to a moderate but don't know if I can swing it now. That said, I'll have to crunch the numbers for a moderate with FD, a moderate with RO and no FR, and a value with both as well.....if it isn't too much of a difference to go with the mod, I'm doing it!

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #42
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink1953 View Post
I just hope they reconsider putting millions into Avatar land....
My thoughts on Disney discounts differs from a lot of people, but I wholeheartedly agree with this! I was glad that Avatarland wasn't the big announcement last night.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #43
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!

Well it saddens me, as we've used that discount for years and years. My husband's first reaction was 'well then we just won't go!' LOL......ummmm, yea, sure. I will still find a way to go, whether it's going less days or staying off site.

Nothing good last forever.

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #44
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny25 View Post
It SEEMS (only that,seems, we must wait things may change) that the next FD offer will be a litle different from last years promotions, moderates and the luxes will get QSDP and nothing for values, I see clouds in the horizon , sorry for that, and letīs celebrate the New Year with our beloved ones. The most magical and happy new year for all of you
Well, I have to admit that would be disappointing. I understand Disney is a business that owes me nothing but it does mean I would definitely do a split stay, going off site for some Universal days, and maybe even a WP day and then go onsite for our Disney days. With free dining I have an incentive to stay on site the entire time, without I don't.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #45
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

They have alot of expensive resort rooms to keep occupied and alot of IMHO very overpriced dining venues to keep filled....so only time will tell if strategy will be effective...

We had free QS with our most recent stay at Coronado Springs and we liked it...we do not like to spend alot of our Disney time sitting in restaurants, and there are some very good QS options that helpful people on these boards made me aware of...

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: