Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #16
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS View Post
Despite what we are told we are dealing with major inflation, everything has gone up like crazy, including Disney. We just paid $210 for 3 of us to go to the Nutcraker and it lasts 2 hours including a 20 minute intermission, we used to spend a little more than $50 to go. I bought a Mustang in 1980 for $5500, bought one this year for $38,000, or I should say I'm paying the bank for it for the next 5 years. When we go to the beach we spend more now on groceries than we used to spend on the whole vacation. And Disney has gone up just like everything else, but for us it is still a good value for the amount of enjoyment, memories and entertainment that it provides us. Oh and our vacation starts the day after this promotion ends, so no discount for us!
Exactly

Don't even get me started on taking my family to the movies!!
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #17
Disney-Kim

Always planning our next trip !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
I can totally see what you are saying ... my wife and I dont think the GF or POLY etc are worth it either .... thats why we stay at moderates.
I. Can't believe how much mods have gone up too

~ WDW Boardwalk Inn May 13 ~Disneyland GCH Sept 12 ~ Disneyland GCH Nov 2011 ~ CBR May 2010 ~Polynesian Sept 09 ~ POR May09 ~ VWL May08 ~ Polynesian May07 ~ BCV May06 ~ VWL May05 ~ VWL May04 ~ BWV May 03~ Yacht Club Concierge Sept 02 ~ Polynesian Concierge for our Honeymoon May 02 ~ Beach Club 09/01 ~ CSR, POR, POFQ, and CBR on our previous trips back to 1992~
Disney-Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #18
Disney-Kim

Always planning our next trip !!

I am just complaining overall. We used to go every year and to make that happen we mixed up mods/deluges and most importantly weowned DVC which made a huge difference.

Now it's been 2.5 yrs since our last visit and we are more picky about our vacations and where we stay. We appreciate the deluxe hotels and what they have to offer so its important to get deals too...

I just can't believe how much that will cost us now

We have chosen cruises and Hawaii the lat couple years because they were cheaper believe it or not

~ WDW Boardwalk Inn May 13 ~Disneyland GCH Sept 12 ~ Disneyland GCH Nov 2011 ~ CBR May 2010 ~Polynesian Sept 09 ~ POR May09 ~ VWL May08 ~ Polynesian May07 ~ BCV May06 ~ VWL May05 ~ VWL May04 ~ BWV May 03~ Yacht Club Concierge Sept 02 ~ Polynesian Concierge for our Honeymoon May 02 ~ Beach Club 09/01 ~ CSR, POR, POFQ, and CBR on our previous trips back to 1992~
Disney-Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #19
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney-Kim View Post
I am just complaining overall. We used to go every year and to make that happen we mixed up mods/deluges and most importantly weowned DVC which made a huge difference.

Now it's been 2.5 yrs since our last visit and we are more picky about our vacations and where we stay. We appreciate the deluxe hotels and what they have to offer so its important to get deals too...

I just can't believe how much that will cost us now

We have chosen cruises and Hawaii the lat couple years because they were cheaper believe it or not
I guess thats totally understandable. Last year was the first trip for my wife and I, our honeymoon. We got free dining last year, seemed like a great deal, but we went during Presidents day weekend/week, so it was actually super expensive. But we didn't mind. For two of us its pretty affordable. For people with families, I can totally understand.

Guess we just don't know how much Mods USED to be, but actually our Mod this year is going to cost us less than it did last year, even though rates have gone up, just because we are going Mid may instead of Presidents day ...
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #20
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Also, I have to wonder about the value of DDP, I have been doing some math, and though disney says that it saves you money, I am not sure.

For us it works out to 1111.00 for 10 nights 11 days.

Roughly $100/day ... or $50/person/day.

IF, we both eat a breakfast, and BOTH eat a QS lunch, and THEN do a Sit down.... it might break even. But looking at places like Jiko, Marakeesh etc ... its looking like dinners will be 25-35/person a QS Lunch is what 8-15, and a breakie is ... a few bucks ?
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #21
Clamesa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Also, I have to wonder about the value of DDP, I have been doing some math, and though disney says that it saves you money, I am not sure.

IF, we both eat a breakfast, and BOTH eat a QS lunch, and THEN do a Sit down.... it might break even. But looking at places like Jiko, Marakeesh etc ... its looking like dinners will be 25-35/person a QS Lunch is what 8-15, and a breakie is ... a few bucks ?
It only saves you money if you order the most expensive item from the menu, and order the apt and desert with the TS. And I doubt there are alot of persons with the capability of eating that much food.

April-May 2004 All star Music. My very first time in Disney. September 2004 All star Movies. Disney + Universal. Our first weeding anniversary. January 2010. CSR. Our son first time in Disney. May 2011. CSR. Mother's Day celebration at Disney. April-May2012.CSR: My birthday celebration In Disney. November 2012. POR RGR: Thanskgiving at Disney. September 2013 CSR our 10th wedding anniversary. September 2014 POR our 11 wedding anniversary.
DH DS Me
Clamesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #22
allboyhouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamesa

It only saves you money if you order the most expensive item from the menu, and order the apt and desert with the TS. And I doubt there are alot of persons with the capability of eating that much food.
Actually there are people who can eat that much food........teenagers! Lol. Our last trip in May 2011 we had free dining and upgraded to deluxe. It was well worth it. We did two of the dinner shows, character meals, and my boys actually got full!! For us free dining is the best deal.
allboyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #23
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa
If the rates for a moderate are still outrageous then I will look offsite for our November 2013 trip as well.
We are looking at POR for Sept and the cost for the Moderate is $200 per night. I would be curious where it is you go that that is outrageous? Even my company approved hotels run $175 per night in high population areas and if we go to a plant in a smaller location they are $125-$150. And that is for a hotel with usually little to no pool, no activities, you pay $25 a night for Wifi.

Places like NYC or Chicago run $300 per night for a bed and one chair in a safe part of town.

Stacy
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #24
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It's not a savings for everyone. It depends how you eat, where you eat, how much you pay for the DDP, etc.

We do DXDDP every trip. We end up saving money because we do a sit down breakfast and dinner each day with a QS lunch or snacks thrown in there in the middle somewhere.

When pricing it out OOP versus the DXDP costs, we're only up about $200 without pricing snacks and my OOP costs don't include a dessert.

We ended up with the SPD deal so we're paying less per person than full price. I don't know if I"d pay full price for it, but it's not something I have to worry about right now.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #25
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78 View Post
I wish I could feel sorry for you that you can't afford the GF. Welcome to the club!!!!
Guessing there are a lot of people who feel the same way......

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #26
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

I can't believe how much the DDP has gone up in recent years. Even with major inflation, that doesn't justify such a huge price rise. It seems just really greedy. In 2011 to upgrade from the regular DDP to the deluxe DDP it was just over £400 for a week. Now, it is over £700... Almost double.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #27
olecow
Mouseketeer

Since I didn' expect any kind of deal for our June trip this year I'm very happy with the 25% off at POR. There's no doubt a Disney vacation is expensive. For us it just means a longer time between trips, which is fine. We like to see other areas of the country as well.

This also goes to the new Disney philosophy of making more money from the people who can afford to go. Even if it means some people can't or won't. I'm not saying I agree with it, but it's their current philosophy. I'm pretty sure it's not what Walt had in mind though.
olecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #28
DznyDreams
A DREAM IS A WISH YOUR HEART MAKES . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUDis
While we are still going to WDW this summer, since there is no free dining or better discount, we are reducing the number of days that we are staying and not getting any dining plan.

We can't change the price of gas to get there. We can't change the price of tickets or rooms. The only thing that we can change is how long we stay and how/what we eat.
This is out plan as well!

A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep; In dreams you lose your heartaches, whatever you wish for you keep; Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling thru; No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true!

11/13 CSR & Disney Dream * 9/10 CSR * 08/09 WL * 2/09 CSR * 9/08 BWV & POP * 5/08 POP * 11-12/07 CSR & Disney Wonder * 10/05 CBR * 10/04 BWV * 03/04 BWV * 10/02 OKW * 04/02 WLV * 10/01 OKW * 12/00 CR * 05/00 POFQ * 12/99 DL (aka: POR) * 09/98 CR * Offsite 95
Old 01-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #29
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I agree 100%. DDP USED to be a deal- not anymore (unless its free). This coming trip it would be $2300 to add the DDP to our tripThere are 5 of us for 10 nights. We are doing a TS, CS and snacks (without the desserts), paying OOP, and we added it up to about $1800. So we are taking $2000, and still saving $300. Plus, now I dont have Disney controlling what and where I eat. Cant count how many times my kids took a snack up in the foodcourt to be told, sorry thats not a snack. Plus we dont need 5 refillable mugs which are now included in the price. My DD, AND DS didn't even use theirs this last trip, and we only did a couple of times just because we HAD them. We make our own coffee in our room, and dont drink soft drinks.

2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days

wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #30
cjsm&d
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The DDP doesn't save my family any money. I guess if we were to eat deserts every meal OOP then it might save a little, but we don't. I can't tell you how many deserts would sit in our mini fridge then wind up in a dumpster.

The only way DDP is worth it is if it is free. Just my opinion.
cjsm&d is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: