Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #61
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Walmart had a small hand held air conditioner thingie last Summer and then had them marked down during the Winter. It looked something like an air mattress pump and it was about $30 if I am remembering correctly. I'll look when I am in there this weekend and see if they still have it.
Thanks appreciate it. Let me know what you find out, please.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #62
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran
 
mickeystoontown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bayou Country, La.
Posts: 24,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Thanks appreciate it. Let me know what you find out, please.
I sure will.
__________________
2014 pre-trip report: Doesn't everybody have Disney on speed dial? Seriously? Mickeystoontown does! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3258703
2013 trip report: 1 crazy family+2 resorts+5 parks+1 snake+1 surprise= A Mickeystoontown Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3122381



mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #63
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,198

Dates are changing again. DH now has these additional days for vacation, the 19th and 24th.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #64
mommy2mrb
Mama to a Princess - But I'm a Scrap Princess
But you wouldn't need the clothes if you had the hot man
 
mommy2mrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Beautiful PNW - Everett WA
Posts: 16,551

yay for extra dates off

the can koozee sounds like a good idea, but the mini AC would be awesome!
__________________
Me-Lisa DH-Jim RIP 1/12/10 Our GoofyMan~Our Heart's 4ever in Haiti DD-Megan 13
Please check out & support www.BeLikeBrit.org in memory of my DH

mommy2mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #65
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2mrb View Post
yay for extra dates off

the can koozee sounds like a good idea, but the mini AC would be awesome!
We bought all these crazy things last year, but none of them worked. Didn't see any mini AC and never would have thought of a koozee.

He is so happy to have the extra days off.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #66
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.
 
blessedmom4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.
Posts: 4,378

Tink, so happy you wil have the extra days together, that is important.

Okay, Thoughts about the heat as promised. As you know, both Lisa and David have Dysautonomia/Autonomic Issues. We of course use the First Aid Stations for Rest and to cool down, as well as any other places that afford a break from the heat. Lisa sits with ice packs around here in the wheelchair. I insist she drink a set amount of water each hour. (she always has a water bottle with her summer and winter). Our water bottles are always frozen 2/3 full and then water added as needed, makes the ice last longer. They are in water bottle holders or a mini cooler on the back of the W.C. Cool cloths (doused in ice cold water) for the back of the neck and head as needed. I also ask for ice and rub it on her wrists, the back of her knees. A friend bought her this for her MAW trip and when it was postponed we discovered that the fan no longer worked. I contacted the company and they replaced it; however, it was broken once again after one use. They replaced it a third time and it is hit or miss if it works. When it WORKS it was great in the Florida heat. We have the stroller attachment (works great on her W/C) and she can direct the air where she wants. I am eager to hear more about the A/C. David goes along with whatever I tell him and as he gets older it gets a bit easier. Just our experience. We couldn't use the cooling vest because of the weight on Lisa's chest and her heart/surgical scars. I am sure I will think of other things I am forgetting...I will let you know if I do. We have tired the scarf cooling beads, NOT helpful for us. David likes this better, but I think more for just wiping off the sweat and having it cool.

Last edited by blessedmom4; 01-10-2013 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Typo Queen
blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #67
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!
 
DMGeurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: DON'T feed the children!
Posts: 7,261

Ooh thanks Judy for all the tips on how to endure the heat... I am going to look into some of those ideas. I love how you line Lisa's chair with ice packs - that is a great idea, and I am sure it really helps.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #68
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
Tink, so happy you wil have the extra days together, that is important.

Okay, Thoughts about the heat as promised. As you know, both Lisa and David have Dysautonomia/Autonomic Issues. We of course use the First Aid Stations for Rest and to cool down, as well as any other places that afford a break from the heat. Lisa sits with ice packs around here in the wheelchair. I insist she drink a set amount of water each hour. (she always has a water bottle with her summer and winter). Our water bottles are always frozen 2/3 full and then water added as needed, makes the ice last longer. They are in water bottle holders or a mini cooler on the back of the W.C. Cool cloths (doused in ice cold water) for the back of the neck and head as needed. I also ask for ice and rub it on her wrists, the back of her knees. A friend bought her this for her MAW trip and when it was postponed we discovered that the fan no longer worked. I contacted the company and they replaced it; however, it was broken once again after one use. They replaced it a third time and it is hit or miss if it works. When it WORKS it was great in the Florida heat. We have the stroller attachment (works great on her W/C) and she can direct the air where she wants. I am eager to hear more about the A/C. David goes along with whatever I tell him and as he gets older it gets a bit easier. Just our experience. We couldn't use the cooling vest because of the weight on Lisa's chest and her heart/surgical scars. I am sure I will think of other things I am forgetting...I will let you know if I do. We have tired the scarf cooling beads, NOT helpful for us. David likes this better, but I think more for just wiping off the sweat and having it cool.
Thanks for the link. We might consider buying the mini air conditioner. Though it does sound like it doesn't have a good track record if you are on your third and it works wonky. Where do you attatch it to the w/c?

We tried those neck scarf with cooling beads too. Didn't work for him either.

Not sure about the scarf?

We have also packed a freezer bag with ice water and placed a wash cloth in it to use as needed and pack it back up in the baggie. We keep that in the cooler bag.

We have also used the umbrella for shade and we block the sun from hitting him.



Thanks so much for all your ideas. Everyone please keep them coming.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #69
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
Ooh thanks Judy for all the tips on how to endure the heat... I am going to look into some of those ideas. I love how you line Lisa's chair with ice packs - that is a great idea, and I am sure it really helps.

D~
Hello D~

We use frozen water bottles. Once they melt you have them as drinking water! We lined his chair with them. Put one behind his neck, along the side of him, on his legs.

On the previous page, I said this is a concern that I have. We have reservations for Pop Century. They have a refrigerator, but no freezer. We are staying the 16th to the 20th. I may have to cancel because I don't know how we'd swing it without the frozen waters.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #70
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.
 
blessedmom4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.
Posts: 4,378

I was in the middle of teaching math when I realized I forgot to say GATORADE is also your friend on hot days! Lisa doesn't like the regular, so she drinks the rain Berry flavor. She rarely drinks straight water because she has a drink she has to have for her heart (don't ask) and we alternate between that and the Gatorade. I can't believe I forgot to mention that. I also mentioned the umbrellas over on my TR...I keep thinking of all the ways we keep she and David cool....It is a huge challenge. The attachment for the handheld cooler is no longer made...which is a shame because it looked like it was custom designed for her W/C it fit so perfectly.
blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #71
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!
 
DMGeurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: DON'T feed the children!
Posts: 7,261

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Hello D~

We use frozen water bottles. Once they melt you have them as drinking water! We lined his chair with them. Put one behind his neck, along the side of him, on his legs.

On the previous page, I said this is a concern that I have. We have reservations for Pop Century. They have a refrigerator, but no freezer. We are staying the 16th to the 20th. I may have to cancel because I don't know how we'd swing it without the frozen waters.
Hi Tink... Can't believe how rude I was... I just commented to Judy and I didn't even say hello... Not sure where my brain was??? Sometimes I just rush through my morning routine... I usually have about 15 tabs open at the top, and I just reply as I go along... Soooo... Good morning Tink - I hope you are well.

The 16-20 of which month??? I guess I am a little lost... For some reason I can never keep up with your TRs.

Lois, in my PTR recommended a misting fan? Not sure if that would help any? I need to figure out where exactly in Walmart they are located??? I am not sure I have seen them before - and I don't go there much.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #72
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!
 
DMGeurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: DON'T feed the children!
Posts: 7,261

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
I was in the middle of teaching math when I realized I forgot to say GATORADE is also your friend on hot days! Lisa doesn't like the regular, so she drinks the rain Berry flavor. She rarely drinks straight water because she has a drink she has to have for her heart (don't ask) and we alternate between that and the Gatorade. I can't believe I forgot to mention that. I also mentioned the umbrellas over on my TR...I keep thinking of all the ways we keep she and David cool....It is a huge challenge. The attachment for the handheld cooler is no longer made...which is a shame because it looked like it was custom designed for her W/C it fit so perfectly.
I am contimplating doing a garden grocer order this time around... I've never felt justified doing this, but then I could order some Gatorade/Powerade (to be honest, my girls don't like this stuff much, and I am not sure I could get them to drink a lot of it????)... But then we could order some fruits (which we never seem to get when we are at WDW) and I could order my yogert too.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #73
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
I was in the middle of teaching math when I realized I forgot to say GATORADE is also your friend on hot days! Lisa doesn't like the regular, so she drinks the rain Berry flavor. She rarely drinks straight water because she has a drink she has to have for her heart (don't ask) and we alternate between that and the Gatorade. I can't believe I forgot to mention that. I also mentioned the umbrellas over on my TR...I keep thinking of all the ways we keep she and David cool....It is a huge challenge. The attachment for the handheld cooler is no longer made...which is a shame because it looked like it was custom designed for her W/C it fit so perfectly.
He can't drink Gatorade. I know he needs the electrolytes, but he's had partials every time he has gatorade. Maybe the sugar?

That's such a bummer that they don't make the attatchment any more. I went ahead and ordered that fan from Amazon. Hopefully it will work and work more than once, but at least I am forewarned.

Jj has the size w/c smaller than Lisa, but I bet it would have been a perfect fit too. Wonder if we can find it on ebay or somewhere?

Last SWW we bought cooling gel pads, but they didn't work either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
Hi Tink... Can't believe how rude I was... I just commented to Judy and I didn't even say hello... Not sure where my brain was??? Sometimes I just rush through my morning routine... I usually have about 15 tabs open at the top, and I just reply as I go along... Soooo... Good morning Tink - I hope you are well.

The 16-20 of which month??? I guess I am a little lost... For some reason I can never keep up with your TRs.

Lois, in my PTR recommended a misting fan? Not sure if that would help any? I need to figure out where exactly in Walmart they are located??? I am not sure I have seen them before - and I don't go there much.

D~
16th to 20th of May for the opening weekend of SWW.

We have a misting fan. We fill it with ice and water and it works great until the ice melts. We got ours at the Walmart on Turkey Lake Rd. It's a cute Mickey one in royal blue. It broke so we need to get a new one. At that Walmart it was on an end cap near the check out, but they have all kinds of Disney stuff there because it's a tourist trap near the parks.

I've been updating like crazy, but I've been really good about updating the index links. Both the Christmas TR and this one have links. The older two TRs have an index, but there's been no updates on them for ages.

I put finished Christmas Eve's TR updates (3 parts) this morning. We went to Epcot and the Yacht and Beach Club. Ate at Beaches and Cream and checked out the gingerbread displays.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #74
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,198

Theater was back in swing this week with homeschool classes one day and special needs theater another day.

We got our schedules for both. Dates have been changed. Neither the showcase nor the play conflict with Star Wars Weekends!

Dh wants me to cancel the Pop reservation even though the dates don't conflict. We are both concerned about not having a freezer to freeze water bottles. We've tried freezer bags of ice from the resort in the past, but they melt much quicker than the frozen water bottles.

Anakin is getting closer to his reading goal. He was thrilled the other day while watching PBS that he could answer the questions the show was asking. Then at acting class he was given some lines to say and he was able to read all of them without any help!

In the last couple weeks, he finished his old Abeka K4 readers and we are working on the K5 ones. It feels like we are finally getting somewhere.

Hopefully he won't ever have another seizure like he did last spring that wiped out his ability to read. I'm so proud of him. We had to start back at he very beginning as he didn't even remember the names of the letters. He's also beginning to remember sight words! He is making some progress.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #75
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet
 
kaoden39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 30,002

Hi, I am back. I would say I am better but not completely.

Great steps for Anakin. It has got to be hard to start over but it sounds like he is doing great! Good for him!
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.