Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #16
xAshleyx
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeysStarTrader
Hey Ashley! What a cute family you have! I was so excited to see that you and I are getting married at Disney on the same day!!! I will definitely be following your plans! We can keep each other in check this will be a little long and I apologize, but some of the things you've said have really hit home with me

I think it's very brave of you to voice this, I get the feeling that some brides think that people holding this view are criticizing their decision to have a DFTW. But everyone is entitled to their opinion I had my heart set on a DFTW but after discovering all the rules, I couldn't handle it. I went through the same thing you did and I agree with you completely!

I'm sorry that this happened to you I had some people guilt me that my wedding was an inconvenience - but I'm not making anyone go!

I agree with you again, I don't think that you should spend $12K necessarily just because you can. Again I think for a lot of brides it can come down to DFTW and wait longer for a house or form a new plan and have a house sooner. We decided we wanted the house sooner and we're happy to sacrifice a Wishes wedding for that... but again many brides think that my opinion there is a criticism of them

We noticed this too! The APs were a huge factor in persuading us to go with Escape beforehand

Both great choices! I can't wait to hear what you decide!

I've read similar things and now we can't decide on an in-park shoot! Have you come to a decision? So excited for more!
Hey !! Thanks for following along !
Same day?! That's so exciting. What location and time is your wedding ?
I'm glad you mentioned I'm not being negative about DFTW. I think their FABULOUS, just not for my budget and needs :-)

I'll have another update hopefully later today. I'm starting my PJ pretty much a year after we got engaged so I can't wait to catch up on everything so I can share some current updates lol

xAshleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #17
xAshleyx
Mouseketeer

Our trip to the World: We left for our 9 day trip to WDW and were super excited about staying at the new Art of Animation Resort (Ariel room of course, since she is my favorite) and most importantly, really starting the wedding planning. Our trip was a ton of fun- and it was our first family trip together to WDW.

Time for Engagement Photos. . .
Towards the end of our trip it was time to meet with Randy for our engagement shoot. We met him in the lobby of AoA and Julia went with my parents for the day. We started with some photos at the Cars section- which I had not ventured over to until this day. It was seriously like walking into the movie. Such fun props and a TON of places to take photos. My favorite is the one of us with Lightening McQueen and the Cozy Cone Motel. Randy was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. we went with him soley because of his reviews here on the DIS, and it was a great decision. He was so nice and easy to work with. We took a ton of photos over in the Lion King area- the Nemo section didn’t have too many places for photos since the majority of the stuff was in the actual pool area. By the time we were done at Lion King I was sweating so bad. I did not expect Florida heat in October to be that bad. It was so horrible that Randy told me we should go inside to “wipe off” hahah it was gross and I was so embarrassed. We took a few photos in the lobby and outside of the resort and then we hopped in Randy’s truck and headed over to the Boardwalk. Randy dropped us off out front so we could head in to change. I went in and changed in the bathroom and met Brian back out in the hall next to the lobby. As I walked out I saw a look of horror on his face- and I knew something was wrong. Anything that he prefaces with “now don’t be mad. .. “ can never lead to anything good. Here, he had put his button up shirt on the sink while he was getting changed (not realizing the sinks were automatic) so as he was moving around to change his shirt the sink turned on and wet half of his shirt. So we were standing there with a half soaked button up shirt. We had nothing else for him to wear- so I made him go back into the bathroom and wet the rest of the shirt so the color matched. All of our photos at the Boardwalk/Beach Club were taken with Brian in a SOAKING wet button up. Hahaha- later in the day it made for a great story. Our photos around the Boardwalk were my absolute favorite. The first time Brian told me he loved me was on the Atlantic City Boardwalk- so it was fitting that we took photos in an AC type resort. We had a lot of fun and by the time we were done with all of our photos we had been shooting for 3 hours !!! Which meant we were late for meeting with Ashley at Fultons.. . . Headed to Fultons. . . We told Randy and he was nice enough to drive us over to DTD so that we didn’t have to wait for the bus. I had never been to Fulton’s before- funny since I am considering having our wedding dinner here, but I was really impressed. It had a nice feel inside and I loved the look of the riverboat. We waited downstairs in the lobby and Ashley came down to show us around. I fell in LOVE with the outside deck- I love the string lighting and the amazing view. The bar inside the lounge was nice and I liked it better than using the bow room with a roll up bar. Ashley also mentioned that having our ceremony here was an option. And for a second I thought about it- I LOVED the outdoor area and it would have looked so cool with the lights of DTD at night, but I was already sold with the Swan. Before we left I had asked if Ashley knew anything about Portobello and if they offered any type of private dining (since they are Italian like Il Mulino) she said she also handled their private events. Basically with them it was either you buy out the whole restaurant- or this small patio area near the water. Other than that she said we could all be seated together in like a back corner to feel more “private” but it wouldn’t really be private dining. The only plus with this- is there would be no food and beverage minimum to meet since it wasn’t private. She walked us over to Portobello’s to check it out. I have photos, but I have to find them ! Ultimately, I opted to not consider Portobello for our dinner, since I wasn’t too impressed with it. We took some more photos outside of Fulton’s and headed back to the hotel to meet with Julia. At this point- we were waiting to put a deposit down with Ashley- I was still looking into Il Mulino and waiting for the 2013 Menu pricing before making a final decision. One big plus that Fulton’s has over Il Mulino- is the privacy. Fultons also allows you to use the outside deck without paying more money. Il Mulino was charging an extra $1k food and beverage minimum for use of their outdoor courtyard. I also factored in the cost of transportation . . .since Il Mulino would be literally right next door to Crescent Terrace. I read some reviews about people using Mears vans for their guests for around $14.00- which seems reasonable and doesn’t really make up the $1k difference to use Il Mulino. I also really liked the idea of having a Dj or Ipod dock at Fultons so we can have some type of dancing. If we go with Il Mulino we will have our first dances at the ceremony site, which will still be cool too, but I think I like the idea of the dances being at Fulton’s—that way we can walk in and officially be “announced” as husband and wife- Fulton’s also allows us to have photobooth. Which Randy was telling us about during our engagement shoot. He told us it was something new that he would be starting and how he could customize a package for us to include it. He won my heart over when he told me his prop box was filled with pretty much any Disney character hat we can think of !! Up next: Drastic news from Erin and my first wedding crisis

Last edited by xAshleyx; 02-10-2014 at 01:12 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
xAshleyx
Mouseketeer

Drastic news from Erin and my first wedding crisis . .

Im trying to really catch up on this so that I can finally be up to date with current plans !!

Drastic news from Erin and my first wedding crisis . .

A few weeks after we got home from our trip, we got our DVD from Randy with our photos ! It was so exciting. I made my own engagement album through Shutterfly and ordered it right away.
You can view our engagement album here: share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AasWjhi0cNmT6o

I contacted Erin and sent back the signed contract for our 10.19.13 Crescent Terrace Wedding.

Brian and I were getting so excited about everything and I started picking out our floral. I wanted to have our main color be dark purple- like an Eggplant color. I don’t know much about flowers at all so I just started looking somethings up on pinterest. I found a bouquet that I LOVED and emailed Erin the info for some pricing. I knew I wanted the pillars instead of an arch way- so I had Erin start my custom floral quote. I told her that I wanted to stay around or under $200.00 for my bouquet and she was really helpful.

This is the bouquet :

Brian will wear a matching boutonniere that’s a purple orchid. I haven’t decided if we will have the groomsmen wear the orange roses like the ones in my bouquet, or if they will have orchids too. Erin included two matching floral arrangements for the pillars, I told her I wanted them to be useable as centerpieces too incase I decided to bring them to the reception. I don’t have a photo of them, but she told me they would match my bouquet. I plan on making my bridesmaids floral. I want them to carry Mickey pomander balls with the orange, purple, and pink flowers similar to what I am carrying. I haven’t decided if I want aisle pedals either. I forget whether or not the swan allows the artificial pedals ?? I know Erin said that usually its around $75.00 for the aisle pedals- but if I can buy them from Michael’s it will save me some $$$

So far my floral quote is :

Bouquet: $225.00
Boutonniere: $16.95
Rental of White Columns: $50.00 for the pair
Delivery/Setup/Pickup of Columns: $65.00
Coordinating arrangements for pillars: $195 each ($390 total)

Grand Total (so far) $746.95

If I opt to add the groomsmen boutonnieres it would be $16.95 each for an orchid, or $12.95 for a rose
Bridesmaids bouquets similar to mine: $100.00 each
Floral for my hair (to match the one in the photo) $1.95 for the purple Dendrobium Orchids and $8.95 for the hot pink Phalaenopsis Orchids

I was pretty happy with my floral quote. I don’t plan on ordering any extra floral for the reception dinner.

It felt like such a relief to have one more thing crossed off my list. My ceremony site, date, engagement album and floral was all taken care of.. or so I thought. . .

I received an email from Erin a few days after we had discussed my floral. She said that the Swan had just contacted her and advised their annual Food and Wine Classic was confirmed for October 18th and 19th. Which meant if I kept my wedding there would be a ton of tourists, vendors, and live music all around my wedding. My heat completely sank and I was so upset ! I cant even describe the disappointment. Erin had suggested moving the wedding to the West Courtyard for more privacy, which I don’t mind the courtyard but it wasn’t big enough to seat my approx. 40 guests. I told Erin I really needed to think this through and weigh out my options.

My first option was moving the wedding to November 8th. The Christmas decorations usually go up on November 9th and we would be able to enjoy the MMVCP during our honeymoon, which I had never done. It would also be cooler out – so I shouldn’t have any sweaty moment a la Randy style and if we left earlier that week, we should catch the end of the Food and Wine festival at Epcot. So I emailed Erin to check availability for that date.

She emailed me back the next day and told me it was approved. But it just didn’t seem right- I really had my heart set on October and Brian and I were considering going to Discovery Cove to swim with the dolphins and I just kept thinking about how November may be too cold to do this. So I emailed Erin back again- and told her I couldn’t go through with that date either. . . After the wedding, I have to send her a nice gift for dealing with my crazy decision making.. . .

I told her that at this point I would take any date available that week- the 17th or 20th
She told me she would submit those requests and hopefully get back to me soon. It was a day before thanksgiving and she said she probably would not hear back from the Swan until after the holiday. In the meantime, she had emailed me other venues that Just Marry services that may be available on my date if I wanted to look into them.

I really liked the beach venue at the Loewes Royal Pacific. Erin forwarded me pricing for that- and I started really looking into having the wedding there. I contacted Emeril’s Tchoup chop restaurant and really liked their private dining menu and the restaurant. I thought the tropical vibe of my floral would like nice there too- and we could still honeymoon in Disney.. .

I figured Thanksgiving coming up would be a nice time to think about everything and talk with our families. And recover from the shock of all of this drama.

Erin emailed back and advised that the 17th and 20th were pretty much out of the question too, as the Swan couldn’t promise that they would have all of the banners, etc. down from the Food and Wine Classic- this was pretty disappointing . .

After Brian and I spoke with our families, it was kind of a mutual conclusion- that getting married at the Loewe’s wasn’t for us. I wanted a DISNEY wedding. Due to the circumstances I was just looking for alternative choices, since I really wanted to keep my date. Ultimately, I decided I wanted to keep the Swan, and I would just need to be flexible with our date.

I sent Erin an email to check availability for October 25th and 26th and hoped for the best.

She got back to me very quickly with the good news that the 26th was available and approved. She sent me the contract and we got everything straightened out. It was a huge relief to get this sorted out. I was pretty bummed though since I had already spent around $100.00 on my engagement album from Shutterfly that had a whole page with our “10.19.13” wedding date. So I needed to re-order it with the correction. We had also been in contact with David’s Disney Vacation Club rentals about a DVC villa for our dates. Luckily we hadn’t signed anything yet- so we weren’t completely out of that money. Im just grateful that I hadn’t ordered my Save the Dates !

Up Next: The First Dress Shopping Experience & Our Guest Book

Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
redlight
DIS Veteran

Love your engagement pictures. Awaiting your dress!!

Amy
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #20
tinydancr06
Mouseketeer

Hi! I've enjoyed reading your pj so far! It seems like you've had a lot of hard decisions to make so far but it looks like you're doing a great job! I am glad you decided to be flexible with your date so you could still have your DISNEY wedding Your wedding is the day after ours!!! I will definitely be following along

Check Out My Planning Journal!!!

tinydancr06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #21
xAshleyx
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlight
Love your engagement pictures. Awaiting your dress!!
Thank you. Almost getting there. !

Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #22
xAshleyx
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancr06
Hi! I've enjoyed reading your pj so far! It seems like you've had a lot of hard decisions to make so far but it looks like you're doing a great job! I am glad you decided to be flexible with your date so you could still have your DISNEY wedding Your wedding is the day after ours!!! I will definitely be following along
Yes ! Definitely have had some tough decisions. Thanks for the support :-)
Oh cool your the second person I know getting married that weekend. Must be a lucky time of year

Old 01-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #23
MickeysStarTrader
I shall call him squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my squishy

I LOVE your engagement pictures!! I would never have known Brian's shirt was soaked! This picture is one of my favorites:

You have the pretty scenery of the Boardwalk (and how much it means to you) and you're both looking out at the Swan like you're dreaming about your wedding

I'm sorry you had such an upsetting time when you first got your date thankfully you didn't lose as much money as you could have and you can still get married in October and have the Swan as your venue your floral inspiration picture is GORGEOUS!!!! And so unique, I've not seen anything like it. We've gone for some bright, cheery, fun colors for our floral too. Will the guys definitely be wearing orange and you're just torn between the flower?
MickeysStarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #24
xAshleyx
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeysStarTrader
I LOVE your engagement pictures!! I would never have known Brian's shirt was soaked! This picture is one of my favorites:

You have the pretty scenery of the Boardwalk (and how much it means to you) and you're both looking out at the Swan like you're dreaming about your wedding

I'm sorry you had such an upsetting time when you first got your date thankfully you didn't lose as much money as you could have and you can still get married in October and have the Swan as your venue your floral inspiration picture is GORGEOUS!!!! And so unique, I've not seen anything like it. We've gone for some bright, cheery, fun colors for our floral too. Will the guys definitely be wearing orange and you're just torn between the flower?
Chloe-
Thanks ! Yes that's one of our favorites too. It's great foreshadowing since we are getting married at the swan.
I'm glad you can't tell about his shirt lol I was so upset when it happened
I found the inspiration photo on Pinterest. I knew I wanted to incorporate orchids. Since they are really the only flower I do like.
Hmmm. . I'm torn between the color and flower
I'm thinking if they wear the roses- ill go with orange
Orchids- purple ?
Or maybe I'll have them wear purple roses
Since Brian is wearing the purple orchid- so he can stand out a little ?

Old 01-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #25
tinydancr06
Mouseketeer

I totally forgot to mention this before but that whole wet shirt thing...you are a genius! I neeeever would have known his shirt was wet at all. Had I been in your situation I probably would have just freaked out and been totally useless. Way to go!

Check Out My Planning Journal!!!

tinydancr06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #26
xAshleyx
Mouseketeer

The First Dress Shopping Experience & Our Guest Book

First Dress Shopping Experience

When I thought about my wedding dress- I envisioned something in a mermaid/trumpet fit. I wanted something with lace or a sheer one shoulder of some sort. With some beading and bling. When I started looking at dresses I was really into Maggie Sottero. LOVE her dresses !!! and of course, the Disney Fairytale Wedding Collection through Alfred Angelo. The closest Alfred Angelo Signature store was about an hour away !! so,for convenience sake I decided to make an appointment at David’s to try on some dresses to see what fit actually looked nice on me and what was most comfortable.

The first few dresses were horrible- they did nothing for my shape and it felt like I was wearing a curtain. I refused to even take photos in these they were so bad. Lol
It was really discouraging and I was starting to feel like I would never find a dress. .

I tried on a couple more and was slowly starting to feel better about the whole experience. I wasn’t really happy with my consultant. She wasn’t really helping me get a good look of the dresses. I kept asking her to use pins and pull the backs closer together so I could get an idea on how the dresses would fit once they were altered. Plus everytime I asked to look at a certain dress that she didn’t like she would say something like “your too good for that dress.. “ or something along those lines- and go pull something that was like $300+ more.

By the end of the appointment I had it narrowed down to about three dresses:

The first was a mermaid fit like I had envisioned- it was Oleg Cassini

The second was WHITE by Vera Wang- and was a huge ballgown. I loved how comfortable this dress was. It felt very Disney princess and it was fun to spin around in.

The third was a David’s Bridal signature dress. It was kindof a mix of the other two. I liked the beading on the first one- but I wasn’t sure if it looked okay in my hip area- so I did like the fullness of the second one. So this one seemed like good compromise. Plus it was only $500.00

I decided I wasn’t going to move forward with a dress at this point. I wasn’t really in LOVE with any of them- but it felt nice to finally go look at dresses !!

The Guestbook

I started messing around on Shutterfly one night and making up a few different options for a guest book. Brian and I both decided we wanted to have a photobook as our guest book to make it more fun and personal. I think it will be a great keepsake once the wedding is over. Im also going to make another “Disney Book” to have our guest sign. Im going to make that one very fun and bright- filled with our all of our favorite Disney stuff; characters, rides, dining, etc. and have each of our guests write down their favorite Disney memory. I thought this would be cool to look back on in a few years once we have more Disney memories and a cool way to learn more about our guests.

You can view our guestbook here:
share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AasWjhi0cNmT8w

Up Next: The start of my bridesmaids gifts

Old 01-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #27
xAshleyx
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancr06
I totally forgot to mention this before but that whole wet shirt thing...you are a genius! I neeeever would have known his shirt was wet at all. Had I been in your situation I probably would have just freaked out and been totally useless. Way to go!
Thanks !
I did freak out a bit. But luckily was able to think fast. I was freaking out the whole time we were shooting wondering if we would be able to tell in the photos. My biggest fear was that the sun would start to dry his shirt and make blots ! Glad everything worked out tho :-)

Old 01-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #28
xAshleyx
Mouseketeer

The start of my bridesmaids gifts

The start of the bridesmaids gifts..

I definitely want to do something that all of my girls will be able to use in Disney. So I wanted to do something travel oriented. I found these really cute tote bags from theknot store and had them ordered with each girls initial, and of course one for myself

I had them done with hot pink and orange trim- to go with the colors in my bouquet. I want to order things for their gift bags as I find them- that way im not spending a TON of money on their gifts when it gets closer to the wedding.

These bags were perfect ! the colors go with my wedding colors and its still something they can use after the wedding. Plus we will all now have matching carry on bags while we are traveling.

TheKnot has matching cosmetic bags, which I thought would be cute to include- but they didn’t really seem to be that cool to me, so I decided to pass.

A few days later I came across these gems – and they were on sale ! I got them in black with pink writing. I plan on putting a pair of either purple, orange, or pink flip flops in each bag. That way the girls will have something cute to wear while we get ready and for when they want to change out of their heels.

I need some help thinking of ideas on what else to include in their bags. I think I am going to get tank tops and order the rhinestone iron ons in the Disney font that says “Bridesmaid” and “Maid of Honor” and make those myself. I think they will be fun getting ready shirts. And cool to wear during the week. Or I was trying to find “Team Bride” shirts that are Disney related and maybe have the girls wear them? That way I can get Brian and the groomsmen “Team Groom” shirts too.

Since Sephora started the Cinderella collection- I will probably pick up some lip gloss to put in their bags. Im waiting to see if they run any good sales. I also really like something like these- I know etsy sells a ton of different options. This may be cool to use for our mimosas the morning of the wedding !

And lastly- I was thinking about getting personalized glass slippers from Aribba Brothers on Main Street. With each girls name and “Bridesmaid” that way they can have a really cool keepsake from the wedding. Its totally Disney and I am making Brian get me the big glass slipper with our names and wedding date as my wedding present from him. I know they sell the small slippers in store for around $16 ? Their website is now linked directly with disneystore.com and I cant find the small ones on there, just the medium sized ones for $60.00; does anyone know if I can order them from home ? ?

Up Next: Bridesmaid Dress Shopping & Celebrating Pins

Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #29
celerystalker
Look! I'm yankeepenny!
I can't do without air!
I seriously have a Disney addiction

Great ideas so far!
And I'm still angry for you about the stupid date change! Grr!

For finding the slippers:
contact Disney Parks and Resorts Merchandise Guest Services at 1-877-560-6477 or send an email to: merchandiseguestservices@disney.go.com

I've never used them myself, but supposedly they can get you anything in the parks and ship it to you.
celerystalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #30
xAshleyx
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by celerystalker
Great ideas so far!
And I'm still angry for you about the stupid date change! Grr!

For finding the slippers:
contact Disney Parks and Resorts Merchandise Guest Services at 1-877-560-6477 or send an email to: merchandiseguestservices@disney.go.com

I've never used them myself, but supposedly they can get you anything in the parks and ship it to you.
The date change was absolutely horrible. I'm so glad it's over and hope no one has to deal with that !!
Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call. I'll let you know what they say

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: