DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #16
a742246
older than dirt

If you are planning on giving them to your children, I would consider the expiration date of the contracts. EX. BWV, BC, VWL, and most OKW has a
2042 expiration date, SSR has 2054, BLT has 2060, AK has 2057.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
DaisyNY
Mouseketeer

Okay...think we have it now...considering buying (2) 170 point contracts at BLT and (1) 170 point contract for VWL...We've stayed at Disney many years...mostly Wilderness Lodge and Polynesian and are ready to go forward with the purchase. Think it would be a great legacy for our three kids, though we will enjoy it for the first few years...
DaisyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #18
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyNY View Post
Okay...think we have it now...considering buying (2) 170 point contracts at BLT and (1) 170 point contract for VWL...We've stayed at Disney many years...mostly Wilderness Lodge and Polynesian and are ready to go forward with the purchase. Think it would be a great legacy for our three kids, though we will enjoy it for the first few years...
Good luck with your purchase. I do have two questions for you. First, have you considered resale, where you will most likely save about $40,000 on your purchase price? Second, have you thought about the long term cost of this legacy in terms of maintenance fees? The costs over time will reach well into the six figures. Just wanted to throw this out there.

Again, good luck with your purchase!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:57 AM   #19
zavandor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyNY
BLT and VWL have different expire dates.
VWL expirs in 2042, while BLT in 2060. It's a 18 years difference.
Since you'll leave it to your kids, can this make a difference? Will they argue on who will not take the shorter one?
zavandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #20
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Have you stayed at BLT? We bought there before we stayed there and it is our least favorite resort. It has it's pluses but not the Disney theming that we love. It's like staying in a high rise condo and IMO it has a dues and furnishing issue that will cost more as time goes on.

Gifting ownership can cause problems and you assume that they will love Disney, want to vacation there and don't mind paying the dues and/or broker fees if they decide to sell.

I would consider buying a Epcot resort in addition to a MK resort. Having your resort close to the parks makes your stay more enjoyable and shortens your travel time.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #21
Dean
DIS Veteran

I would spend a few months getting aquatinted and educated. If you haven't stayed at a given resort, there is a risk buying there. Assuming BLT and VWL end up being your 2 favorites and you want to stay at one of those MOST trips, I'd likely buy at both. I'd suggest resale for the same UY though buying at one and at SSR for the other will be cheaper and also makes sense. That's why you need to get information and experience. Do you really need 500 points, hopefully you're not looking to buy for cruises and the like, if so you need to understand the increased costs and risks involved.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #22
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Before you gift these to your children, you may want to take a look at the dues for the resorts as well. If your children are just out of college, they might not have the funds to pay the annual dues by the time you gift them. Dues continue to go up each year. I know our son who is currently in college will not be able to afford the dues on our points. $1000 could be a lot of money to a young family or single person.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #23
Pirate Granny
DIS Veteran

We have 2 resale contracts, both for December...220 for OKW which is a great resort and out of the hussle and bussle of most of the other resorts.. Truly a home away from home feeling, and no theme park theming...and 164 at BCV 'cause I love the pool and close walk to EPCOT...(flower and garden time AND food and Wine time). We will be in the market for either BLT or VWL for our last purchase, resale. We will leave each of our daughters one contract...and if they can't afford they can sell it, either to one of their sisters or the general public...although we hope to use these for family trips for the next ten years (God willing).

We did stay at OKW before we purchased and had a family discussion if they thought they would like to go often and to OKW. They are all adults (30 is the youngest), and all Disney fans...

We just stayed at VWL in early December and were blown away by the beauty and decorations for the season...leaning in that direction, but one daughter loves BLT, so we will mull it over a while longer and check the resale listings.

BUY where you want to stay...and break the contracts up...understand the high points as you may be looking at Grand Villa stays...and they eat up lots of points...602 for our ten day stay in May/June of 2014!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #24
DaisyNY
Mouseketeer

We do love the WL (stayed there four times in the last 5 years) and did like BLT for the proximity to MK... In the near future we probably would use points for large family vacations...Thanks for the advice!!! Hubby and I have a long list of questions to sit down and review today! By the way, what is a UY???
Old 01-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #25
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
We do love the WL (stayed there four times in the last 5 years) and did like BLT for the proximity to MK... In the near future we probably would use points for large family vacations...Thanks for the advice!!! Hubby and I have a long list of questions to sit down and review today! By the way, what is a UY???
If your UY question isn't meant to be a funny then you really have a lot to learn or risk buying something that will cost you much more than it should, and really make your ownership a challenge.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #26
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree with Bill, if you don't know that UY is Use Year and the implications, you don't know enough about the system to figure out if DVC is a good choice for you even if you know you are set on deluxe Disney vacations. Slow down and learn so you can make the choices that will be a blessing to you and your family.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #27
DaisyNY
Mouseketeer

Okay...didn't know UY meant use year but have researched up the ying yang...anyway...not signing on the dotted line for the next day or two and have my BIL (Brother-in-Law) coming by tonight and he has been a DVC member for 15 years and is looking over contracts, etc...would never spend this many $$$ without reading and looking at everything ad nausam (my style for everything...buying furniture, cars, homes, etc...) Thanks all for your help..........I feel more confident about our decision now...
Old 01-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #28
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Okay...didn't know UY meant use year but have researched up the ying yang...anyway...not signing on the dotted line for the next day or two and have my BIL (Brother-in-Law) coming by tonight and he has been a DVC member for 15 years and is looking over contracts, etc...would never spend this many $$$ without reading and looking at everything ad nausam (my style for everything...buying furniture, cars, homes, etc...) Thanks all for your help..........I feel more confident about our decision now...
Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #29
DaisyNY
Mouseketeer

Many thanks...looking forward to many Disney memories for our family!!! Best yet, we will have room for our growing family...Stayed in deluxe room in WL this Dec. and am looking forward to a two-bathroom, bedroom option in our future!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: