DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
torian
A whole day can be ruined with a bad cup of coffee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 195

Revisiting DVC...again!

Backstory:

Been to WDW 3 times as a kid. Always stayed off-site. Always wanted to stay onsite. My DH (then BF) came along with on these vacations

When we married and had kids, we took a trip in 2009 and stayed at the Poly. LOVED IT. We're a deluxe kind of family, and the mods and values do not appeal at all.

Listened to the DVC talk. Very interested, but the recession hit,so timing was not good.

Went back again in 2010 - WL. It was very nice. A bit smaller than the Poly (room), but loved the theming during christmas. Re-thought DVC, but 2011 and 2012 had their fair share of issues (not financial) that prevented us from taking action.

Just came back from the YC (5 day stay) and loved it, too, and I'm now thinking of DVC again.

We vacation at least every other year there and spend a lot of money doing so. We only like the deluxe resorts. I can pay cash for a resale (only considering resale), so no financing. Looking to get my feet wet with a small 100 point contract with SSR (one of the lowest MF combined with a low p/p cost. edited to add that we don't have any pref where we stay as long as it is deluxe. We've decided to take the least expensive cost of entry approach to this instead of "buy where you love to stay". We also plan our trips out at least a year in advance. We've visited in april and december. No interest in going during the hot summer months. Perhaps fall, for the F&W (knowing staying at BCV or BWV would be out of the question)

Our two kids are tween aged and love Disney. I'm a bad parent and don't mind pulling them out of school to vacation. We have a boy and a girl and this trip made me realize we will need more privacy space with our lodging.

I'm not interested in using points for exchanging into RCI.

I would like to have enough points to go once a year - my way of thinking is that if Im paying a yearly MF, I should try to go down yearly. I also see our vacatioing changing from less park commando style to more relaxing by the pool.

Does any of what I've described suggest that DVC makes sense for our family?

Last edited by torian; 12-27-2012 at 11:09 AM.
torian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator
 
Chuck S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Seguin, Texas USA
Posts: 25,816
DISboards Moderator

If you stay mostly, or always, at a deluxe resort, DVC can save you money. However, know that the DVC Villas are not quite up to the same par as Deluxe, as far as furnishings and housekeeping. DVC has limited housekeeping...for stays of 7 nights or less, you will receive trash and towel service on Day 4. That is all they will do, replace your towels and empty the trash cans. If you stay 8 nights or more, you will receive a full housecleaning on Day 4, and Trash and Towel Service on Day 8. Also remember that DVC Studios do not have two beds, unlike a Deluxe class room. DVC studios offer a queen bed and a full sized sleeper sofa, except for OKW, they have 2 queen beds.

Additional housekeeping days, or extra towel packs, are an additional charge.

Other than that, the WDW DVC Resorts do pretty much equal a Disney deluxe class resort, many share the same common areas.
__________________

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member
 
disneydreamingdebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 2,406

I think you need to consider the number of points for the type of accommodations that you want. For summer months a studio is 134 points for a week. A one bedroom is 269 points a week. (April 7 -30 is the same as summer months. First two weeks of Dec is 97 studio/ 197 one bedroom)

We have twin girls (almost 11) and to conserve points, we stay in studios .We have 200 points and usually travel to Disney twice a year: 9/10 days in summer and 4/5 days in winter. We are always borrowing from the next year.

Since you travel every three years, you will have 300 points to play with.
disneydreamingdebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Smile&Nod
Mouseketeer
 
Smile&Nod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 303

One more thought - this on the "buy cheapest" - remember that you can book your home resort at 11 months, all other DVC properties not until 7 months. If you truly like to plan a year in advance are you going to be okay with booking travel (airfare, etc) a year in advance before you have a place to stay, unless you are okay staying at SSR. One strategy is to book your home resort at 11 months and then try to switch at 7 months - but it does not always work out.

I bought at BWVs because i wanted an Epcot resort but didn't want to pay the money for BCVs (my preferred location). I ended up a couple years later buying a BCV contract so I can stay where i really want to.

Just another thought - is it worth it to buy DVC - yes if you stay deluxe! I love knowing I can go every year for just the annual dues!
Smile&Nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,541

Quote:
Originally Posted by torian View Post
Backstory:

Been to WDW 3 times as a kid. Always stayed off-site. Always wanted to stay onsite. My DH (then BF) came along with on these vacations

When we married and had kids, we took a trip in 2009 and stayed at the Poly. LOVED IT. We're a deluxe kind of family, and the mods and values do not appeal at all.

Listened to the DVC talk. Very interested, but the recession hit,so timing was not good.

Went back again in 2010 - WL. It was very nice. A bit smaller than the Poly (room), but loved the theming during christmas. Re-thought DVC, but 2011 and 2012 had their fair share of issues (not financial) that prevented us from taking action.

Just came back from the YC (5 day stay) and loved it, too, and I'm now thinking of DVC again.

We vacation at least every other year there and spend a lot of money doing so. We only like the deluxe resorts. I can pay cash for a resale (only considering resale), so no financing. Looking to get my feet wet with a small 100 point contract with SSR (one of the lowest MF combined with a low p/p cost. edited to add that we don't have any pref where we stay as long as it is deluxe. We've decided to take the least expensive cost of entry approach to this instead of "buy where you love to stay". We also plan our trips out at least a year in advance. We've visited in april and december. No interest in going during the hot summer months. Perhaps fall, for the F&W (knowing staying at BCV or BWV would be out of the question)

Our two kids are tween aged and love Disney. I'm a bad parent and don't mind pulling them out of school to vacation. We have a boy and a girl and this trip made me realize we will need more privacy space with our lodging.

I'm not interested in using points for exchanging into RCI.

I would like to have enough points to go once a year - my way of thinking is that if Im paying a yearly MF, I should try to go down yearly. I also see our vacatioing changing from less park commando style to more relaxing by the pool.

Does any of what I've described suggest that DVC makes sense for our family?
What is it about deluxe resorts that you find the most beneficial? What do you like best about your stays in deluxe resorts and what would you not like about stays in moderate or value resorts?
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 17,756

We didn't have a preference either because we were just happy to be at WDW. After a couple of years owning the DVC our tastes changed and we found out that we liked other resorts better than our original purchase. We ended up selling and buying where we really loved to stay after we had trouble getting our desired reservations.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,241

Quote:
Originally Posted by torian View Post
Backstory:

Been to WDW 3 times as a kid. Always stayed off-site. Always wanted to stay onsite. My DH (then BF) came along with on these vacations

When we married and had kids, we took a trip in 2009 and stayed at the Poly. LOVED IT. We're a deluxe kind of family, and the mods and values do not appeal at all.

Listened to the DVC talk. Very interested, but the recession hit,so timing was not good.

Went back again in 2010 - WL. It was very nice. A bit smaller than the Poly (room), but loved the theming during christmas. Re-thought DVC, but 2011 and 2012 had their fair share of issues (not financial) that prevented us from taking action.

Just came back from the YC (5 day stay) and loved it, too, and I'm now thinking of DVC again.

We vacation at least every other year there and spend a lot of money doing so. We only like the deluxe resorts. I can pay cash for a resale (only considering resale), so no financing. Looking to get my feet wet with a small 100 point contract with SSR (one of the lowest MF combined with a low p/p cost. edited to add that we don't have any pref where we stay as long as it is deluxe. We've decided to take the least expensive cost of entry approach to this instead of "buy where you love to stay". We also plan our trips out at least a year in advance. We've visited in april and december. No interest in going during the hot summer months. Perhaps fall, for the F&W (knowing staying at BCV or BWV would be out of the question)

Our two kids are tween aged and love Disney. I'm a bad parent and don't mind pulling them out of school to vacation. We have a boy and a girl and this trip made me realize we will need more privacy space with our lodging.

I'm not interested in using points for exchanging into RCI.

I would like to have enough points to go once a year - my way of thinking is that if Im paying a yearly MF, I should try to go down yearly. I also see our vacatioing changing from less park commando style to more relaxing by the pool.

Does any of what I've described suggest that DVC makes sense for our family?
DVC for a studio will save you money in this situation, a 1 BR likely won't but may give you more value. You need to plan ahead and be prepared to give up housekeeping and accept some minor other compromises. If you decide to buy and just want deluxe and want to try most or all of the resorts, SSR is likely to be the best value.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
torian
A whole day can be ruined with a bad cup of coffee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
What is it about deluxe resorts that you find the most beneficial? What do you like best about your stays in deluxe resorts and what would you not like about stays in moderate or value resorts?
Deluxe likes:
nicer (to us) pools with slides - both kids love to swim
larger rooms
min queen sized beds
understated theming
closer to parks/attractions
interior hallways
recreation (boat rentals, etc)

Value dislikes: (from what I can see without having stayed in one)
Smaller rooms
double beds
not close to parks/attractions
"loud" theming
no slides for pool (although I know mods have them)
exterior hallways (seems motel like to me)

I just get the impression that with the values it seems like they are trying to cram in as many people into the complex as possible...seems sardine-like packed to me somehow.
torian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
torian
A whole day can be ruined with a bad cup of coffee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 195

number of points?

If I were to buy, I have decided to do it with SSR because of the longer contract, lower price/point and lower MF.

Now the number of points...it seems that 100 would allow me to go every other year staying in a studio during either magic or adventure seasons, with a few points left over. BCV, OKW or SSR one bedrooms are possible, too, during adventure season. It seems as if I would need 120-130 points if I wanted to stay at a one bedroom during magic season, though - or bank and borrow for those trips to combine for 300. Is my math correct?

It also looks like 120-130ish points would allow me to go every year during adventure or magic season in a studio.

WWYD? 100 points at first and see how that works going every other year, or 120-130 to allow me to go every year?
torian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 1,826

Looks like you have a good plan. SSR is a good value for all your stated reasons. Just so you know, SSR does have exterior doorways/entrances. Some are in "hallways" but have no carpet and are cold/hot depending on the season. This is the main reason my DD does not like SSR. Pools fit your criteria though and the grounds are beautiful. It's a great resort.

Personally, I would go for the 125 to 150 range to give you the flexibility to be in a 1br if you want to (they are much nicer than a studio especially for a longer trip). The space is awesome. We like the studios because there is just 2 of us and we like to go multiple times a year. Studios stretch our points but I would certainly not compare them to a deluxe experience.

JMHO.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,541

Quote:
Originally Posted by torian View Post
If I were to buy, I have decided to do it with SSR because of the longer contract, lower price/point and lower MF.

Now the number of points...it seems that 100 would allow me to go every other year staying in a studio during either magic or adventure seasons, with a few points left over. BCV, OKW or SSR one bedrooms are possible, too, during adventure season. It seems as if I would need 120-130 points if I wanted to stay at a one bedroom during magic season, though - or bank and borrow for those trips to combine for 300. Is my math correct?

It also looks like 120-130ish points would allow me to go every year during adventure or magic season in a studio.

WWYD? 100 points at first and see how that works going every other year, or 120-130 to allow me to go every year?
Quote me months/weeks of the year instead of Disney seasons since I don't follow the seasons at all (not for 15 years). I know when I want to go and don't base it on the number of points required. But those seasons could change (and they do based on the holidays that fall during those time frames).

Because, if you were planning on going the first week of December and not staying at SSR (which should be on your "con" list instead of "pro" list because of the exterior corridors), you would have to wait until seven months out to book. BWV, BCV, BLT and others can be very difficult to get during that time. If you are looking at BWV or BCV for October because of Food & Wine, that, too, is tough to get at seven months out. Studios are usually booked first because they require fewer points and sleep just about the same number of people as the one bedroom. So at seven months out, yo might not be able to get a studio at BWV or BCV for F&W.

OKW is the same as SSR, exterior corridors (like an apartment or town house complex). So, if you can only stay at SSR or OKW because that is all that is available at seven months, would you be happy? If not, buy at a resort that meets your "pro" list. You will pay more for the points and the dues will be higher, but you will probably be happier at one of the other resorts.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
torian
A whole day can be ruined with a bad cup of coffee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 195

We like to travel in april - the weather is nice at that time of year...but avoid easter and march break like the plague. We like early christmas, too. We've stayed at WL at that time, so that is off the bucket list - I know that you would have to own there to stay at WL during that time.

No real need for the F&W festival. Would be happy at either SSR or OKW. Seeing as we've been to WDW park commando style 3 times now, I see our park experiences slowing down where we spend more time at the resort and less at the parks.

I should clarify with the exterior hallways. I've seen SSR at the open house and we went to Olivia's @ OKW for dinner once and toured the resort. Those entryways are nice because it does resemble a townhouse (we live in one currently). When we stayed offsite, it was at a condo that had a similar set up. I just don't like the exterior hallways of the values that go on forever and have windows that overlook them.
torian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,541

Quote:
Originally Posted by torian View Post
We like to travel in april - the weather is nice at that time of year...but avoid easter and march break like the plague. We like early christmas, too. We've stayed at WL at that time, so that is off the bucket list - I know that you would have to own there to stay at WL during that time.

No real need for the F&W festival. Would be happy at either SSR or OKW. Seeing as we've been to WDW park commando style 3 times now, I see our park experiences slowing down where we spend more time at the resort and less at the parks.

I should clarify with the exterior hallways. I've seen SSR at the open house and we went to Olivia's @ OKW for dinner once and toured the resort. Those entryways are nice because it does resemble a townhouse (we live in one currently). When we stayed offsite, it was at a condo that had a similar set up. I just don't like the exterior hallways of the values that go on forever and have windows that overlook them.
Makes sense. OKW was our first home and it's our favorite of all. We also like SSR for the same reason. Wide open spaces, lots of room to move around the resort. We own at VWL for the taste of Yellowstone (we used to live in Montana and Yellowstone was-and still is-a favorite place to go).

The first week of December is extremely popular with members. So if you plan to go then, make sure you like where you buy. It's real hard to change resorts at 7 months out for that week.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.