Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #16
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Besides all the reasons stated, reports are that wifi in the parks is sporadic at best. When we were there in November even resort wifi was awful.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Whaddya mean you don't like sauerkraut? You want bad luck all year? Everything good that's ever happened to me started with sauerkraut! "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #17
russp609
Earning My Ears

good ideas, I wont bring it.
russp609 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile

~Personally, I wouldn't bring my Ipad in the parks. I would never use it and I would be too afraid to damage it. Also, it's way too cumbersome to use as a camera. With that said, I have also seen many people with Kindle Fire's and stuff in parks, primarily restaurants though. So, I guess it all depends on your needs and touring style! Have fun!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
nyrebecca
DIS Veteran

We bring ours. My mother doesn't do all rides so it is a good chance for her to catch up on email. My son has Autism and has issues with waiting for things like parades and fireworks some uses it during those times, or while we wait to eat in a restaurant. It came in very handy in November when we were stuck on a crowded boat...he turned it on, started to watch the tigger movie and some little kids around us were able to enjoy it as well. Bringing it to the park is not for everyone, but it works well for us.

nyrebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #20
jgh
Peter Pan!

I would never bring one in the parks, and I would never agree that it's a good idea to (rain, water rides, stolen, broken...)...

But to each his own.

You bought it, so take it where ever you want!

jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #21
MisWal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post
This summer at WDW my family and I were at Rainforest Cafe chatting about our day while we waited for our food to arrive, and I happened to look over at the table next to us - the dad was playing on his phone, the two little kids were playing on ipads and one kid was playing his nintendo DS, and the mom looked bored out of her mind. I remember thinking it was such a shame they were missing out on a chance to enjoy each others company and the experience of the theme restaurant.
Maybe they had had enough of each other's company and this was the best option for them to not kill each other?

I would not bring my iPad into the parks. Mine stayed locked in the safe during the day. It doesn't take that great of pictures and is very distracting to other guests.

And I think people just look silly using them to videotape and take pics. They're so big!
Nov 2014- Royal Pacific Resort

MisWal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #22
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

I'd just bring something that would easily slip in your pocket, and enjoy yourself without worrying about that monstrosity. This is coming from an IPad owner and lover!

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #23
LisaBi
DIS Veteran

While I will take the iPAD to WDW, I will not be taking it to the parks. I would love to have it because its a lot easier to check ressies, wait time, etc than on my phone, it's just just too big to lug around, not to mention the risk of breakage or theft. What the heck would you do with it on rides like Space Mountain if there isn't someone in your party sitting out?
LisaBi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #24
boocake
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by john64 View Post
Even when people go to place like Disney they feel the need not to socialize anymore. A sad site in our society now a days as stated before is that no one wants to talk to each other.
I find it FAR more sad that people are so dang judgemental in general. My DS has severe ADHD (yes we get judged by people who don't even think that exists, too, but whatever) and I will probably bring our Kindle fire for him to play with just in case the lines are really difficult. It will just be him and myself, and I'd rather have a little insurance plan to keep things running smoothly for the both of us than worry about someone else thinking we are anti-social or that my parenting is lazy.
boocake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #25
vtownpatty
Mouseketeer

I know that iPads and other tablets can be very useful for some families/ kids. I don't mean to be judgmental in those cases. It just seems like many adults use them to tune out of their vacation. I take vacation to get away for real life. Also, it just does not seem like the best photo option - too big and not the greatest photos.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
vtownpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #26
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake

I find it FAR more sad that people are so dang judgemental in general. My DS has severe ADHD (yes we get judged by people who don't even think that exists, too, but whatever) and I will probably bring our Kindle fire for him to play with just in case the lines are really difficult. It will just be him and myself, and I'd rather have a little insurance plan to keep things running smoothly for the both of us than worry about someone else thinking we are anti-social or that my parenting is lazy.
I agree! You have no idea why someone may be staring at a phone or iPad. My DH is often on the phone or checking email while we are at WDW (we are locals and have APs). He is self-employed in a business that's Internet-based. That means he rarely has an entire day off, even when we are actually "on vacation." Just something to think about before you feel sorry for us for having an "anti-social" dad or husband.
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #27
AlixaLock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaBi
While I will take the iPAD to WDW, I will not be taking it to the parks. I would love to have it because its a lot easier to check ressies, wait time, etc than on my phone, it's just just too big to lug around, not to mention the risk of breakage or theft. What the heck would you do with it on rides like Space Mountain if there isn't someone in your party sitting out?
Not trying to convince anyone to bring an iPad into the park ... It's something we do, but its not for everyone. But, to answer your question, I keep it in its case in my backpack and its always safe. I also have a waterproof sleeve if we're hitting Splash. Again, no snark here ... Totally respect everyone's opinion, just wanted to answer your question.

Blowout Trip for Seven to the GF Villas! August, 2014! Surprise! You are going to the Denstist trip to the Beach Club, February, 2014! Halloween Birthday Party, 2013 at the Contemporary! January, 2013 our last off season getaway at the Grand Floridian! June 9-18, 2012 Summer at the Bay Lake Tower! October 5-11, 2011 Food and Wine/MNSSHP at The Grand Flo; Jan/Feb 2011 Polynesian Dream Trip; June 2010 Grand Californian Dreaming (DL); March 2009 Boardwalk with Baby; May 2008 Baby meets Mickey at the Grand Californian (DL); January 2007 Grand Floridian, Dec 2005 Christmas at the Beach Club; 2003 Caribbean Beach ... 1974-1995 ..... Disneyland, Disneyland, Disneyland ...
AlixaLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #28
AlixaLock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake

Ditto! I don't know how using an iPad implies that I'm disengaged from my vacation. In our case, we are not a special needs family. My husbands work requires he be available during vacation ... mobile devices are HOW he stays engaged with his family. Otherwise, he'd spend the trip in the hotel room. Sometimes we let the 4-year-old play games or watch movies so we can enjoy some adult conversation at California Grill over a long dinner. To be quite frank, 8 days at WDW is a long trip ... I freely admit that every once in awhile, I like to find a quiet spot and a cold drink. During those times, I'll often pull out the iPad and fiddle with Facebook or ADRs or GASP The DIS! Does this make me anti- social? I think a lot of people made valid points as to why one shouldn't bring an iPad into the park. The idea that its somehow intrinsically rude or anti-social baffles me, though!!!

Blowout Trip for Seven to the GF Villas! August, 2014! Surprise! You are going to the Denstist trip to the Beach Club, February, 2014! Halloween Birthday Party, 2013 at the Contemporary! January, 2013 our last off season getaway at the Grand Floridian! June 9-18, 2012 Summer at the Bay Lake Tower! October 5-11, 2011 Food and Wine/MNSSHP at The Grand Flo; Jan/Feb 2011 Polynesian Dream Trip; June 2010 Grand Californian Dreaming (DL); March 2009 Boardwalk with Baby; May 2008 Baby meets Mickey at the Grand Californian (DL); January 2007 Grand Floridian, Dec 2005 Christmas at the Beach Club; 2003 Caribbean Beach ... 1974-1995 ..... Disneyland, Disneyland, Disneyland ...
AlixaLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #29
MouseBrayden
Walt Disney World YouTuber (MickeyViews), WDW Ride Expert, Collector of Monorail Playsets!

Great Idea! Good for checking wait times. Just whatever you do, don't lose it, and DON'T USE IT TO TAKE PICTURES. People bring theirs and hold them up to take pictures in the middle of rides, fireworks, and other events. This blocks the view for everyone else and it is quite annoying. It is a great tool to use to check wait times and find any info you might want in the parks. I also suggest you go on the app store and get some Disney World ride time apps and Disney's "Mobile Magic App." Enjoy!

Please Click Here to check out my Walt Disney World YouTube Videos! I have videos of Firework Shows, Resort Hotels, WDW Concerts, WDW Restaurants, and TONS more!

'06 Polynesian - Rarotonga
'08 Grand Floridian - Sugar Loaf (Club Level)
'10 Grand Floridian - Sugar Loaf (Club Level)
'11 Grand Floridian - Main Building (Club Level)
'12 Polynesian - Hawaii (Club Level - Garden View)
'13 Hard Rock Hotel
'13 Waldorf Astoria - 12 Floor (Disney/Pool View)

MouseBrayden is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: