Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #16
erogers
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWillow1975 View Post
Were there sheets for the pack and plays? We're starting to brainstorm and come up with a packing list.
They provide sheets for the pack and plays, and if you want them changed you can just ask your stateroom host for clean sheets.

04/93, 03/95, 02/97, 03/99, 03/01, 05/07: Dixie Landings/POR
05/97, Grad Nite: All-Star Sports
12/12: DCL, Fantasy
erogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #17
erogers
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katekins13 View Post
Ill be traveling with a 6 month old in January so this post is great! Since my daughter will only be 6 months, she will only have had limited baby food. Can you give me some examples of what they puréed?

Thanks!
The first night I asked our server to puree spaghetti and meatballs. When I do it at home, it's mostly noodles and lots of sauce. This was mostly meatballs and DD hated it. Lesson learned!

The other nights I asked them to puree up a mix of veggies, so it was whatever they had; always had carrots, peas and broccoli in it, but it changed a little night-to-night. You can ask for a specific veggie to be pureed, like just peas or carrots, or whatever mix your DD likes. Really, anything on the menu can be pureed (fish, meat, mac n cheese, chicken nuggets - blech!), but if you don't know in advance of your meal what you want pureed it will take a long time to come out of the kitchen. If you have a standing order, or tell your server the night before what you want for the following night, your server can have it ready by the time you come to the dining room (or shortly after you get there).

(I think I just used the word "puree" more in that paragraph than I have in my entire life! Hope this helps.)

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #18
DisneyWillow1975
Earning My Ears

Thanks, erogers! I BF as well, so we would only need to supplement with bottles. Our guys sleep in sleep sacks, too, so the sheet to sit/lie on while playing on the floor is a great idea. You just saved us a ton of space in our suitcases! :-)
DisneyWillow1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #19
erogers
Earning My Ears

Ports of Call: San Juan

Since we did the beach in St. John and knew we were going to do the beach again on Castaway Cay, we decided to spend our day in Puerto Rico in El Yunque, the rainforest. We rented a car from Charlie Car Rental, which worked out pretty well even though we couldn’t get them to come pick us up at the port like they had promised. When we called in the morning, they asked at which pier we were docked. We didn’t know, so told them we’d find out and call back, but when we tried to call back (repeatedly for 20 minutes) no one answered the phone! We had the address for Charlie’s and ended up taking a taxi to their office. This must be a somewhat regular occurrence because they reimbursed us for our taxi with no problem. They had car seats available for the rental cars, so that was a plus. We rented a small SUV (a Jeep), and having the back area was great for diaper changes and letting DD crawl around a little bit.

It’s about a 45 minute drive to El Yunque from San Juan, and the rainforest is beautiful!!! We made a few scenic stops (Yokahu Tower and La Coca Falls) and went on one hike (Big Tree Trail to La Mina Falls). The U.S. National Forest website has info on all the hiking trails in El Yunque. Appropriately for a rain forest, it rained while we were on Big Tree Trail, so it’s a good idea to bring a rain coat if you’re planning to hike around in El Yunque. DD was strapped into her Ergo carrier, which has a little sun shade/rain cover that snaps over her. She stayed dry and got a nice nap on the way back to the parking lot from the falls. A bit further up the road from the Big Tree Trail trailhead is a little restaurant called Yuquiyu that has great hamburgers, quesadillas, and several authentic Puerto Rican items on the menu. I believe there's an ad for Yuquiyu in the Big Tree Trail parking lot. We stopped there for lunch and had some nice conversations with other visitors while eating on their covered patio.

Originally we thought we might stop at Luquillo Beach on the way back, but we were all tired after getting in and out of the car and hiking a little bit in the rain, so we just headed back to the rental car place. They took us back to the pier right where the ship was, which is probably less than a ten-minute drive.

Renting a car is also great if you happen to need anything from a Walgreens or Walmart (especially with kids, you never know what you may run out of or lose by mid-week of the cruise). A GPS would come in handy if you’re looking for a specific store. We made a quick Walgreens stop on our way to El Yunque because we happened to notice one on the road we were traveling. I really loved the beauty of El Yunque, but I know there is so much to do and see in San Juan as well. Puerto Rico is definitely a place where we could vacation for a week; maybe someday we will!

Old 12-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #20
erogers
Earning My Ears

Ports of Call: Castaway Cay

We didn’t want to leave DD in the nursery all day, so we just put her in for a few hours in the morning. That gave us time to have some breakfast and then go to the adult beach on the island for a little while. It was hard to think of the last time I sat in a chair in the sun and did absolutely nothing! After we picked DD up from the nursery, DH and I took turns riding the Aquaduck several times since there was absolutely no one up there! Then we headed onto the island to have lunch at Cookie’s. I actually thought the chicken and ribs were great!

There's a splash park on Castaway Cay, but I thought the water was a little cold, so after lunch we just headed to the family beach where we ran into our tablemates and spent an hour or so hanging out with them, watching our girls play in the sand. It was just enough sand, sun and water for DD before she reached her exhaustion point. She actually fell asleep on DH's shoulders on the way back to the ship and he just continued walking around the ship with her while I got cleaned up so she could just finish her nap.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #21
erogers
Earning My Ears

How to See a Show with an Infant

Two of the sea days, the big evening show was performed an extra time during the afternoon at 3:00. This was fantastic for us! We never made it to an evening show, but we got to see those two afternoon shows (“Aladdin” and “Believe”). Disney sure has the best ship entertainment out there!

We took DD in because she loves music and dancing, and she did pretty well. We sat right near the front, but over to one of the sides where not many others were sitting. If she got too squirmy, I let her crawl around in the empty side aisle or one of us would walk up and down the side aisle or up to the back of the theater with her. I read that some people would take their infants and let them fall asleep during the shows, or take a nursing cover to nurse them if it was time for that. Unfortunately, our DD is too squirmy to stay under a nursing cover anymore and has an extremely hard time falling asleep if anything more exciting is going on. If you get to the theater five or ten minutes late, that is actually right about when the show will start and it seems like they’ll let you in the theater at any time.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #22
erogers
Earning My Ears

To Bring (Or Not to Bring)...

I read some helpful tips on these boards and others before we left. Someone mentioned bringing little Ziploc bags of candy to give to the people who work in the kids clubs and guest services. We had a ton of leftover Halloween candy, so I brought a bunch of that and gave a bagful of it to the nursery workers every time we picked DD up from the nursery. They loved it! I imagine being stuck on the ship for so many months, with not much away time, they don’t get much “outside” food…definitely not regular candy.

I brought one of those hanging shoe racks with about ten different compartments to hang in one of the closets. It was great for some of our clothes, DD’s things, sunscreen, sunhats, etc. It really made use of the space well. I also brought along some clothespins , which came in handy a few times. We used them on the clotheslines in the bathroom, to pin things to the chairs on the verandah to dry quicker, and to keep the curtains closed completely since we all like it pitch dark when we sleep.

We brought all of our own diapers with us. There is a service you can order diapers and wipes from to have delivered directly to your stateroom: http://www.babiestravellite.com/ct01-diapers.html
I just brought a few large size flannel lap pads to use for a changing pad.

We did not bring a stroller. I think most strollers would actually fold up and fit under the bed in the staterooms, but then you also will want to put your luggage under there so whether everything would fit depends on how many bags you travel with! With just our DD, we did not ever have a need for a stroller. I read that you can borrow a stroller from Guest Services on port days. On the ship, with all the steps and other people moving around, I think it might be hard to maneuver a stroller. Most of the time, we just carried DD around the ship, and I don’t really remember noticing many strollers. I saw a few umbrella strollers.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #23
erogers
Earning My Ears

Shipboard Activites for Infants?

I didn't expect there to really be any shipboard activities suitable for infants, but leave it to Disney to think of something for everyone.

OK. Well, maybe the Diaper Dash they held on a couple of the sea days was more for the entertainment of mom and dad and other adults, but it was an activity only infants would be eligible for! The Diaper Dash is a crawling "race" held in the main lobby. DD was definitely the underdog the day we took part since the other babies who entered were like three to five months older than she was! She lost, but it was fun and all the babies who took part got a free Disney Cruise Line bib (free souvenir!). Plus, for the rest of the cruise we had random people coming up to talk to us because they had seen DD in the Diaper Dash!

Also, you can look in your navigator for the little Disney Kids dance party in the D Lounge that takes place some mornings. (I forget what the real name of it is.) DD was always already in the nursery when that went on, but if your child likes music and is available at that time I think it looks like a fun thing to go do.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #24
Dan29racing
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by erogers View Post
OK. Well, maybe the Diaper Dash they held on a couple of the sea days was more for the entertainment of mom and dad and other adults, but it was an activity only infants would be eligible for! The Diaper Dash is a crawling "race" held in the main lobby. DD was definitely the underdog the day we took part since the other babies who entered were like three to five months older than she was! She lost, but it was fun and all the babies who took part got a free Disney Cruise Line bib (free souvenir!). Plus, for the rest of the cruise we had random people coming up to talk to us because they had seen DD in the Diaper Dash!
I was wondering if they were still doing the Diaper Dash, I have really been looking forward to it since we were on the Dream last year... I even call the boys tummy time "Jack Jack training sessions"!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #25
pikaboo27
I knew I could count on you!

Love your trip report! DH and I have been trying to figure out how a cruise would work with a little one. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

pikaboo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #26
erogers
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan29racing View Post
I was wondering if they were still doing the Diaper Dash, I have really been looking forward to it since we were on the Dream last year... I even call the boys tummy time "Jack Jack training sessions"!
Awesome!

Old 01-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #27
erogers
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikaboo27 View Post
Love your trip report! DH and I have been trying to figure out how a cruise would work with a little one. Thank you for sharing your experiences!
You're welcome! I heard several comments from people around us about how they never would have taken their kids on a cruise when they were as young as our DD, but I really do think a cruise is one of the best vacations you can do with a little one!

The day after we got home, I was up in the morning trying to feed everyone and asked DH, "Where's the buffet breakfast?....and the It's a Small World nursery?"

Old 01-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #28
Dan29racing
Earning My Ears

Quick question... I didnt see a date anywhere for this trip, when did you sail? We are wondering about infants and cruising during flu season... Starting to wonder if we should bring sterilized hampster balls for the boys!
Old 01-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #29
erogers
Earning My Ears

Yeah, we cruised before flu season peaked - Dec. 1-8. However, I made sure to get a flu shot for DD before we sailed. I would ask your pediatrician if he/she has any recommendations.

Tags
disney fantasy, eastern caribbean, first cruise, infant

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: