Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
disney david
DIS Veteran

new entrance at mk

Here a pic of the new rfid entrance at mk i think it speed up the entrance for everyone if done right.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-m...1024/image.jpg

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Interesting but since you don't see someone using it, it is hard to say it will work well for those of use in PWC/ECV.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Have they tried it yet? It looks like it would definitely speed up the entrance process.

However, how will they know if I lent my ticket to someone else? Does RFID have a device for actual ID? I like the look - and the idea of the process!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
disney david
DIS Veteran

I meant since their no gate or machine more people would be able to use it and the gusset in te pec would not have to wait for the gate to be opened. They are also testing or have tested a new exit system where camera count you so you wouldn't have to go through the turn style.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Pluto
Have they tried it yet? It looks like it would definitely speed up the entrance process.

However, how will they know if I lent my ticket to someone else? Does RFID have a device for actual ID? I like the look - and the idea of the process!
Good point but as you see the cms have devices that will tell them if the ticket good or not plus you still have to put your finger on the scanner. Not sure if they are still pitting stickers on tickets or have they been issuing the new tickets.

I also see in the future even though they haven't said it once they switch all turn styles to these. Giving the cms a portable device where they could scan the ticket and finger to speed up the line even more. And be able to help guest who might not be able to reach the device. But we have to see what happens I think it a step forward and they can and will make changes if needed

Old 12-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
disney david
DIS Veteran

here more pics at mk and other parks with people using them

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/...arks/17760.htm

Old 12-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
mmouse50
DIS Veteran

Didn't notice any RFID entries last week when I was there - they did have a few more entries for cast members than in the past - but there were CM's using a handheld for scanning tickets and the people in those lines were moving pretty quickly, I don't believe that the scan tickets were using a finger scan though - just the ticket scan. The rest of the lines were the finger scan and insertion of the ticket.
mmouse50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse50 View Post
Didn't notice any RFID entries last week when I was there - they did have a few more entries for cast members than in the past - but there were CM's using a handheld for scanning tickets and the people in those lines were moving pretty quickly, I don't believe that the scan tickets were using a finger scan though - just the ticket scan. The rest of the lines were the finger scan and insertion of the ticket.
i think they went live this week and they do have the finger scanner on them.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

they are cute looking! I think it will speed up the process of going thru for all guests. I cannot count how many times people try to walk thru the turnstile and it stops on them, not to mention those in wheelchairs and those with strollers. Once they scanned, they had to wait for the gate to be opened up for them to proceed in. I am thrilled these are going live! I will be in the parks from Dec 28th to Jan 4th, and I can't wait to see/use them

thanks for the link too!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mickeyfan
they are cute looking! I think it will speed up the process of going thru for all guests. I cannot count how many times people try to walk thru the turnstile and it stops on them, not to mention those in wheelchairs and those with strollers. Once they scanned, they had to wait for the gate to be opened up for them to proceed in. I am thrilled these are going live! I will be in the parks from Dec 28th to Jan 4th, and I can't wait to see/use them

thanks for the link too!
I hope when you go you get on hm without any problems.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
sokerfrog
Mouseketeer

I like the idea of this. I think it will speed things up at the gates, but how will it keep somebody from just walking in? Like shoplifters that work in pairs...what keeps one person from distracting a CM and another just walking right in?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokerfrog
I like the idea of this. I think it will speed things up at the gates, but how will it keep somebody from just walking in? Like shoplifters that work in pairs...what keeps one person from distracting a CM and another just walking right in?
What will keep them from doing it is under cover security and ocso deputy's plus they will put extra cms out their for awhile plus when they get to fast pass they won't be active. They also gave the cms devices so they can see when and if the ticket is scanned when helping other guest out plus if a cm has to help a guest they could signal another cm to watch. If it becomes a huge problem I am sure they will have to install something in the middle to keep people walking through. I also think they might have to put up a sign saying something like entering with out scanning your ticket will result in arrest or something in Disney lingo just to keep those few people in check. But signs and security don't always stop people so if someone wants to cheat Disney they will find a way and Disney will just have to try and keep one step ahead of them.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #13
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Pluto View Post

The current tickets don't have a device for actual ID.
The number on the ticket links to a file in the WDW computer. That is where all the actual information (like the finger scan for ID) is stored.
The ticket is just the way to access that file. So, it doesn't matter how the ticket is scanned.

I do think this will speed things up - no putting the ticket in wrong. No waiting for the gate to open.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:51 AM   #14
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

I used the prototype at EPCOT last year, and it was clear that it was much better and faster even then.

As for cheats, I am sure the gate area has cameras trained on it with someone watching for people trying to sneek through.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #15
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormde View Post
I used the prototype at EPCOT last year, and it was clear that it was much better and faster even then.

As for cheats, I am sure the gate area has cameras trained on it with someone watching for people trying to sneek through.
There might also be other things that are not visible, similar to the way that self-service checkouts work in stores. They know how many items you have passed through to your bag from the cart.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: