Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
IamTrike
DIS Veteran
 
IamTrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 2,863

A question for disdads that dive (CJ or others)

I'd really like DS and I to get scuba certified, is there a difference between PADI and SDI certification. PADI seems to be more recreational and SDI seems to make it easier to progress towards more technical or advanced diving licenses. Is there a training program that you would recommend?
__________________
Ack! Logo currently taking time off to enjoy a Dole Whip at the bequest of Disney's legal team.

DW (Rachel) Me (Ryan) DD 5 DS 9

DIS DADs CLUB MEMBER #566 James 1:27 Look over here, it's a trip report Updated on 7/5/11 The last day
IamTrike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 3,722

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTrike View Post
I'd really like DS and I to get scuba certified, is there a difference between PADI and SDI certification. PADI seems to be more recreational and SDI seems to make it easier to progress towards more technical or advanced diving licenses. Is there a training program that you would recommend?
SDI is somewhat new and not a ton of places I know do the course. I don't know anyone who was certified by them so can't talk about the program. PADI is the most popular and has shops worldwide. When I got certified as a kid it was through the National Association of Scuba Diving Schools (NASDS). Now defunct. Got re-certified with PADI because I didn't dive for a while. Also when it was time for DD to learn to dive, it was with a PADI dive shop.

The big thing is to pick a place where you trust the dive operations and instructors. A good instructor makes a lot of difference. I was happy with the PADI curriculum and the instructor that taught Andriana.

The problem with PADI (and maybe SDI, I don't know) is that you are certified after pool dives and 4 open water dives. A good start but you should have some guided dives after certification for the experience. Some people think that once you get the card, you are Jaques Cousteau. After A had a few dives under her belt, we both took the Advanced Open Water (AOW) Course together. AOW teaches advanced navigation and a other good courses. You can also get Nitrox certified. They also have more advanced courses including Tech Diving. She may go for her Rescue Diver Certification this summer.

It is a great sport and whatever you decide, I say go for it. Since I got her certified, we had great father/daughter trips and many adventures. Not many kids have photographs like this. Of course we had to go to Hawaii to get that.



If you want to travel down here, I know some great instructors. It can be done in a weekend wherever you go. Glad to answer any other questions you have,
cj9200 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
IamTrike
DIS Veteran
 
IamTrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 2,863

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post
SDI is somewhat new and not a ton of places I know do the course. I don't know anyone who was certified by them so can't talk about the program. PADI is the most popular and has shops worldwide. When I got certified as a kid it was through the National Association of Scuba Diving Schools (NASDS). Now defunct. Got re-certified with PADI because I didn't dive for a while. Also when it was time for DD to learn to dive, it was with a PADI dive shop.

The big thing is to pick a place where you trust the dive operations and instructors. A good instructor makes a lot of difference. I was happy with the PADI curriculum and the instructor that taught Andriana.

The problem with PADI (and maybe SDI, I don't know) is that you are certified after pool dives and 4 open water dives. A good start but you should have some guided dives after certification for the experience. Some people think that once you get the card, you are Jaques Cousteau. After A had a few dives under her belt, we both took the Advanced Open Water (AOW) Course together. AOW teaches advanced navigation and a other good courses. You can also get Nitrox certified. They also have more advanced courses including Tech Diving. She may go for her Rescue Diver Certification this summer.

It is a great sport and whatever you decide, I say go for it. Since I got her certified, we had great father/daughter trips and many adventures. Not many kids have photographs like this. Of course we had to go to Hawaii to get that.



If you want to travel down here, I know some great instructors. It can be done in a weekend wherever you go. Glad to answer any other questions you have,

Thanks CJ. I'm going to start checking into schools around here. We're about an hour and a half from the coast so we'll get to do our open water dives out in the ocean. We spent a week in the keys last year, the weather was beautiful but the water was really churned up so we didn't get to do much snorkeling.

That picture is really great. I always enjoy your pictures.
__________________
Ack! Logo currently taking time off to enjoy a Dole Whip at the bequest of Disney's legal team.

DW (Rachel) Me (Ryan) DD 5 DS 9

DIS DADs CLUB MEMBER #566 James 1:27 Look over here, it's a trip report Updated on 7/5/11 The last day
IamTrike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Texas Crude
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTrike
I'd really like DS and I to get scuba certified, is there a difference between PADI and SDI certification. PADI seems to be more recreational and SDI seems to make it easier to progress towards more technical or advanced diving licenses. Is there a training program that you would recommend?
Do PADI, if only because its larger and more widely recognized. In the end you will get more from your diving experience than from the course, you just need some basic instruction to get you started. Either will do the trick, but I'd imagine there are still some small shops in the corners of the world that won't recognize SDI.

Welcome to the world of diving. Wife and I have done 50+ dives together and created some of our best memories underwater.
Texas Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 3,722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Crude View Post
Do PADI, if only because its larger and more widely recognized. In the end you will get more from your diving experience than from the course, you just need some basic instruction to get you started. Either will do the trick, but I'd imagine there are still some small shops in the corners of the world that won't recognize SDI.

Welcome to the world of diving. Wife and I have done 50+ dives together and created some of our best memories underwater.
Where do you dive? Ever visited the Keys?
cj9200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Texas Crude
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post

Where do you dive? Ever visited the Keys?
I haven't, but I'd like to at some point. Did most of my diving on a liveaboard (best vacation ever!! got about 25 dives in during the week) in Belize, but have also been in Hawaii, Catalina Island, and quite a few when I was in grad school in North Carolina (probably the best wreck diving in this hemisphere, with tons of sharks to boot!).

My wife and I got certified shortly after we got married, but once we started our family I've been short my dive buddy.... We recently moved to Houston, so hopefully ill be able to find more opportunities now.
Texas Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.