Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
nicolita3
DIS Veteran

Possibly stupid question re: alcohol

The gift sets that they sell at grocery stores or walmart, that have a bottle of liquor, do they get marked down after Christmas or New Years? Im just curious. I got invited to this party by people I work with (after work hours) in January that is a gift exchange. I am new to this company and really shy, so I feel like I should go. Well back to the point one of the coworkers said it is more of an alcohol exchange. The limit is $30. I dont drink much so I never paid attention to the prices. I was looking at gift sets that have a bottle and come with glasses or some other item. Do they go on clearance after the holidays? Any suggestions on what I should take?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
csharpwv
DIS Veteran

In a lot of states alcohol is price controlled, so the stores buy it at state controlled price.

In the state of Pennsylvania, all of the liquor stores are owned and operated by the state.

So it really depends on how your state liquor laws are structured.

In some states anything sold/packaged with alcohol (glasses, bottle openers, and such) have to be either 'free' or without a 'retail value' on the packaging.

The chances are high that they won't mark it down too much - I would imagine 10-15% at most if at all.

Your best bet for lower priced alcohol is to look for your local BJ's Wholesale Club, Sam's Club, or Costco. In many states you do not have to be a member to purchase alcohol.

You may have to ask for a manager, but laws in a lot of states prohibit membership organizations from selling bulk (by the bottle) alcohol - they must also sell to the general public.

If you happen to be going on a cruise, or know someone who is, you can buy duty free alcohol on the ship while out to sea, or in the port.

If you ever happen to make it to St. Martin, you will find a LOT of GREAT specialty rum concoctions!

Hope that helps some!
-Bay Lake Tower
-Saratoga Springs
-Hilton Head Island
csharpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
MAH4546
DIS Veteran

No. Liquor is price controlled and typically it is illegal to clearance it.
MAH4546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 AM   #4
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

Safeway usually has some discounts on bottles of wine. You could probably make your own basket for a lot cheaper than the stores. Find a liquor store like BevMore and talk to someone there for a decent bottle in your price range.

Every one will know if you bring the chespest worst wine to the party. Theres some you should just stay away from. Or bring bottles of mt dew, its the next best thing.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #5
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

I just went to my office party and I knew I would win a gift basket since they alll had 2 bottles of wine in them since my dh and I don't drink wine. Sure enough I won the second basket
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #6
maelcu
Mouseketeer

My DH is a liquor rep those packages are called VAP. Value added package. They will most likely not get marked down. Most stores in our area open the package and put the bottle on the shelf and sell at regular price. The glasses, shakers whatever that's in the box disappears lol.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

In IL, liquor is on sale or clearanced often. The liquor stores often have a shopping cart near the entrance with discounted stock. Grocery stores like Meijer will have an end-cap with clearance.

I've never looked for the gift boxes after Christmas but have bought other products throughout the year.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
kellia
DIS Veteran

Yep, the employees keep the "extras" in the boxes, the booze goes back on the shelf.
kellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

I've honestly never seen booze baskets clearanced. I've bought stuff like beer mugs etc on clearance but never actual booze.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
Not in Indiana. I see alcohol on clearance all the time.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
Kae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesia View Post
Not in Indiana. I see alcohol on clearance all the time.

I do really well at Mejier Store for Discounted Liquor sets (and regular bottles too)& I have gotten some good ones at Target too. Last year I got a Hypnotic set with too Glasses & Ice Bucket for 17.

OP are they wine drinkers too? Because the Wine aerators are a good gift.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
anelson81993
Mouseketeer

No idea how it works in Phoenix but...

Here in Iowa (at least in the liqour department of the grocery store I work for), we almost never see actual gift baskets on clearance. Actual bottles of alcohol (usually wine)--yes. Gift baskets--no. At our store, we pay so much through the state to get those gift baskets that we pretty much can't clearance it (it's already at the lowest price we can sell it at and still make money).
I would actually recommend making your own basket, if you have the time for it. Purchase some of those little (like single shot) bottles of various liqours, finish with a couple cheap shot glasses. Gift in a small Christmas/New Years themed bag or basket.
anelson81993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

Also in IL and liquor is on clearance all the time. If you have a Binny's in your area check it out--lots of cool packages and good sales.

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
manhattanman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzybean View Post
Also in IL and liquor is on clearance all the time. If you have a Binny's in your area check it out--lots of cool packages and good sales.
In kanas you can sell liquor on clearance but only up to a point. I think it is still illegal for places to sell liquor at a loss. I'm not sure if this means that there is a state minimum, or if a distributor can get a great deal on something and flip it to the retailers.

I rarely see the gift sets go on sale because they are the same price as the bottle alone, so they go quickly before christmas for gifts and between christmas and new years for those going to parties.
manhattanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
Not true at all, which you should know if you really live in LA, as CA allows privatized liquor sales and alcohol is on sale all the time. I live in the MD/VA area and also see alcohol on sale all the time.

I have seen packaged sets of alcohol and glasses on sale at military exchange package stores after Christmas.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: