Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Walkentall
Earning My Ears

AoA v. FW cabins?

I'm shocked at the lack of less expensive options for a family of 6! I was seriously considering off-resort, but then I settled on the cabins because they have a full kitchen. However, we have now decided that we'd like to do several TS meals, so it looks like the DDP is a good fit for us. There are 6 of us, me, my boyfriend, a 14 year old girl, and 3 boys, aged 9, 7, and 6. We'll spend a lot of time (2 days versus only one for other parks) at MK. So now I'm considering AoA. We will have a car, so location may not be all that important. Although the boys would love the wilderness theme of the cabins, do you guys think AoA would be a better fit? It looks very nice, and it's a little bit less expensive than a cabin (about $300), and it has two bathrooms. Your thoughts?
Walkentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Here are the BIG things to consider IMO (since you said the kitchen doesn't matter and you'll have a car). Only you can decide if any of these things outweight others.

Pro AoA stuff:

AoA = 2 bathrooms
Cabin = 1 bathroom

AoA = adults get a queen sized bed in the bedroom
Cabin = adults get a full sized bed in the living room

Pro Cabin stuff:

AoA = the 14yo girl will have to share a bed with one of the boys
Cabin = the 14yo girl can have a bunk to herself

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Have you thought about two rooms in a value resort instead? Four double beds and two bathrooms.
HM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

If it was me, the 2 bathrooms would be the deciding factor!! Especially with 6 people.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Walkentall
Earning My Ears

Yeah, I think I'm sold now on AoA. I did check, however, about two rooms, and, looking online (so that you have to do two separate bookings to do the two rooms), it's looking like two rooms at AoA would be about $370 cheaper than a family suite. I know one major difference is theming, and I don't think the boys will be very excited about Little Mermaid! I was hoping for a Lion King suite (because that's *my* favorite!), so I'm thinking the $370 more for a family suite is probably ok. We'll still have two bathrooms. It looks like it would be about the same price for two rooms at one of the other All-Stars (can't remember which one now). Am I missing any advantages to getting two rooms over a family suite, other than theming?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
haPevraftr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkentall View Post
Yeah, I think I'm sold now on AoA. I did check, however, about two rooms, and, looking online (so that you have to do two separate bookings to do the two rooms), it's looking like two rooms at AoA would be about $370 cheaper than a family suite. I know one major difference is theming, and I don't think the boys will be very excited about Little Mermaid! I was hoping for a Lion King suite (because that's *my* favorite!), so I'm thinking the $370 more for a family suite is probably ok. We'll still have two bathrooms. It looks like it would be about the same price for two rooms at one of the other All-Stars (can't remember which one now). Am I missing any advantages to getting two rooms over a family suite, other than theming?
The big difference will be the chances of getting any sort of discount. AoA LM rooms are very popular right now and haven't seen the discounts that have been offered at other value resorts. The AoA family suites have had discounts. If I were you, I would consider two rooms at Pop Century or one of the All Star resorts. You will probably save some more money in the long run if a discount is offered.
Visited WDW many times as a child; Engagement trip OKW '01 ; Disneyland '04 and '05; Off-site '06 and '07 ; Pop Century '08 ; POFQ '09 ; ASMo '10 ; CSR '11 ; AKL/SVR '12 ;NYE '12-'13 WBC Easter '13, SLR/CBR ;Thanksgiving '13, VVP; April '14, WBC
haPevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Are the three boys small enough they could share one bed, or does the teen not mind sharing with one of them? I'm thinking an All Star suite might be a better fit because of the sleeping arrangements in the living room. There is a single fold out chair, a single fold out ottoman, and the double fold out sofa at All Star so there would be three beds for the kids instead of just two. You would still have the two bathrooms and the queen bed in the bedroom for the adults, and the kitchenette.

But if the sleeping arrangements in the AOA suite work for your family, I would probably go with the AOA suite.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
auprincess
DIS Veteran

Can't you get the DDP when you're staying at the cabins?

I haven't stayed at either, but have been looking into both. 2 bathrooms would be great, but I love all the stuff there is to do around the cabins (my big girl would love the pool slide) ~ the campfire singalong, pony rides...
April 2012 Polynesion
auprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkentall View Post
I'm shocked at the lack of less expensive options for a family of 6! I was seriously considering off-resort, but then I settled on the cabins because they have a full kitchen. However, we have now decided that we'd like to do several TS meals, so it looks like the DDP is a good fit for us. There are 6 of us, me, my boyfriend, a 14 year old girl, and 3 boys, aged 9, 7, and 6. We'll spend a lot of time (2 days versus only one for other parks) at MK. So now I'm considering AoA. We will have a car, so location may not be all that important. Although the boys would love the wilderness theme of the cabins, do you guys think AoA would be a better fit? It looks very nice, and it's a little bit less expensive than a cabin (about $300), and it has two bathrooms. Your thoughts?
If you ask for 2100 loop for the cabins there is a comfort station there that the boys could use in the morning.We did this many times in days gone by.Adds that little touch of real camping to the comfort of maid serviced woodland Cabins. I vote for the cabins !

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
Walkentall
Earning My Ears

As of now, our 14 year old girl doesn't mind sleeping with one of her little brothers. She only sees them every other weekend, so she's great with them. As for the cabins, the more I've thought about it, I was originally interested in them because of all the activities in camp, but we camp several times a year and can go to resorts like Big Cedar in Missouri for that sort of experience. Living in Arkansas, we experience the outdoors quite frequently. So I'd rather spend our time on experiencing the parks than on hanging out at the resort, or at least that type of resort. And since we'll be pressed for time, it would probably save us a little time to have two bathrooms. I've already booked an AoA LK suite, and I'll be on the lookout for discounts. Unless there is a huge moderate discount that would allow me to book two mods, it looks like our only options for a group this size are the cabins, an All-Star Music suite, an AoA suite, or two of the other value standard rooms. That should making keeping an eye out for discounts easy! If the cabins get a good discount, I'll definitely consider them. For now, I've sort of resigned myself to paying full price, so whatever happens I should be happy! Thanks everyone for your help! I love these boards.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: