Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

DDP experts: are we doing the right thing?

So we are booked for our vacation using the room only promo (staying @ POR) for end of Jan.
It will be our first time staying on site!! woohoo!!

We already have tickets from our previous visit so we only need to buy a few days for our 6 year old. We are not sure if we should upgrade to the SPD package just to take advantage of the free dining option?? If we did upgrade, we would only get a 1 day ticket for everyone as part of the package.

The kids are newborn, 2, 6, 9 and 11.

The kids are NOT big eaters and the oldest is pretty picky. I doubt he would eat much off the adult menus.

I am thinking it will be less expensive for us to just pay OOP? We have a few ADRs already including HDDR.

If we pay OOP, the 11 year old can order from the kids menu right? It is just the HDDR and buffet type places that we will be charged full adult prices for him??

Just trying to figure out what makes sense. We did look at the allears site at the menus and did a rough calculation & it is pretty close.

What do you think??
Old 12-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure I understand a few things.

Quote:
We are not sure if we should upgrade to the SPD package just to take advantage of the free dining option??
Are you talking about the Stay, Play & Dine promotion? How does that translate to taking advantage of the free dining promotion?

Where are you seeing a free dining promotion?

Now to answer a few questions that I can answer.

Most places will allow an 11yo to order from the kids menu when paying OOP. The exceptions I typically read about are at some of the Epcot WS restaurants and the Plaza, though being a child, your server likely won't question his age since most 11yos could pass as big 9yos if not asked. At fixed price restaurants, yes you'll have to pay for him as an adult. If paying with dining credits, most restaurants will let him choose adult portions of foods from kids' menus.

I would recommend that you figure out an approximate food budget for what you'd likely order OOP and add that to your room only price plus any ticket upgrades/purchases you need to make and compare that to the SPD price. When you said it's pretty close, do you mean even with ending up with the tickets in the end it's close? If that's the case then you're actually coming out ahead with SPD and your 11yo will get to order adult sized desserts with his meals. If they're close after subtracting the value of those extra tickets then I wouldn't bother; I'd just stick with room only and pay for food OOP. I only get a package with dining plan when it comes out significantly cheaper because I really like the flexibility of ordering as we'd like rather than as the dining plans dictate.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Sorry - yes, I meant just the dining as an inclusion or part of the overall package - not free per se. Although if I am understanding it right - the adult prices are discounted to what the child prices are as part of the package? But yes, definitely not free

I am jealous of all of the people who get free dining! That would save us a LOAD of $$$. We will have to plan our trip better next time to take advantage of those promos when they come up.

Or perhaps a little pixie dust will come our way before then.......I know, I know, but a girl can dream right
Old 12-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
boocake
Earning My Ears

Did you call to see if you have a free dining PIN on your account? I never got one via email, mail, or otherwise, but I called Disney and asked, and I did! I saved about 100 for my son and I. Others have called and saved much more (as I'm sure you would!) .. would not hurt to try.
boocake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Hmmmm....i guess it is worth a call. I doubt we would have anything there. It has been YEARS since we ordered the vacation planning DVD; and then we just ordered it agin when we booked our stay. Wouldn't the CM have told us about the PIN code when we booked??

Still....will call anyway and ask once kiddos are in bed. Too many ears around here!

Thanks for the hint.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Nope. Nothing.

Ah well, maybe next year!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
boocake
Earning My Ears

Darn! Definitely worth a shot though. I actually have never ordered a planning dvd either, but I regularly log on to the website to price out vacations. (always do it while logged in!) I think that's why I get them. I've been getting PINs in the mail for a couple years (altho strangely I had to call for one to cover my dates) but never took the plunge til this year. I wonder if they will stop coming now that I'm actually going!!!! Good luck to you next time and hope you have a great time!!!!
boocake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Awwww thanks.

I would have been sending you flowers if it had worked LOL
Old 12-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
smiths02
DIS Veteran

I would have to see the numbers run.
What is price for POR with room discount and tickets for your 6 year old?

What is the price for POR with stay, play, and dine with one day ticket for everyone + upgrade cost for 6 year olds ticket to have more days?

What is the difference between those two packages?

Could you eat well for that price? If not, I would say to do stay, play and dine because you will get a lot of food plus have those 1 day tickets to use later.

If you are at a buffet or all you can eat type place, your 11 year old will have access to the children's food. So I might include more of those places if you do get DDP (also you would be able to feed your 2 year old without "sharing"). Lots of TS places have adult choices that are kid friendly especially if you ask for it plain...your 11 year old wouldn't eat burgers, steak, chicken (roasted or fried), pizza/flatbread, turkey sandwich, etc.? Those are available at a lot of TS as adult choices.
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: