DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
northwenald
DIS Veteran

Looking for info on Top of the World Lounge

I thought that I read that DVC members can go to the TOTWL even if you are not staying at BLT. I called MS and was told it was true but I must get there early. Can anyone tell me what time I should get there? Can we order food? We will be in Disney the week after Thanksgiving and the night I was looking at was a MVMCP night so the fireworks are 9:15pm. I would Love to try and go there to watch Wishes!!!! Can anyone tell me about this?

Thanks everyone !!!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Access for non BLT guests runs through the end of the year. Drinks and finger food is available for purchase. The added attendance has created longer waits to get service, they didn't increase the number of servers.

If it were me, I would plan on getting drinks a food after the fireworks. The place pretty much clears out and you will get better service.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
erionm
DIS Veteran

From the Member Website:
Quote:
Top of the World Lounge perk extended through Dec. 29!
The popularity of a special perk originally slated to end on Aug. 25 has prompted its extension! From now through Dec. 29, 2012, Disney Vacation Club® Members staying at any Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at the Walt Disney World® Resort (whether they booked with vacation points or cash) may enjoy complimentary access to one of the vacation kingdom's most exclusive spaces: the Top of the World Lounge atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Note that Members traveling from other resorts must use Walt Disney World Transportation, as parking will be unavailable to anyone not staying at Bay Lake Tower or Disney's Contemporary Resort. Upon arrival, Members must walk to the Bay Lake Tower main lobby entrance on the ground floor (the typically locked front door will be unlocked during this time, or a Cast Member will be at the door to assist) and check in at the Top of the World Lounge desk in the lobby.

The sleekly designed bar and lounge, typically available only to Members staying at Bay Lake Tower, operates from 6 p.m.-midnight daily and offers spectacular rooftop viewing of Wishes™ – the Magic Kingdom® fireworks spectacular – complete with the show's stirring musical soundtrack. The ability to access the lounge has been a frequent request from Members staying at other Walt Disney World Resorts since Bay Lake Tower opened in 2009, and Disney Vacation Club is thrilled to make that "wish" come true during this extended period.

This perk is available exclusively to Members and those in their traveling party who are staying on that Member's reservation. At least one Member in the traveling party must accompany the group and present his or her current Key to the World card displaying a Disney Vacation Club Membership notation in order to gain admission to the lounge. If the Member's Key to the World card doesn't display a Membership notation, a Disney Vacation Club Member ID is required in addition to the Key to the World card to verify Membership.

This special Top of the World Lounge access is available on a first-come, first-served basis until the lounge reaches capacity. As the lounge is particularly popular during the Magic Kingdom fireworks, arriving as early as possible will give Members the best chance of gaining admission.
There is a limited food menu at the TOTWL.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

We were there a couple weeks ago, and I posted a small rant in my post. There are a limited number of seats by the windows of TOTWL. We got there between 8 and 8:15, sat by the window, ordered drinks (alcohol + 2 non-alcohol) and our ticket wasn't cashed out close to 9:30. Finally, I put cash in the ticket and we left. The service is absolutely abismal.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
northwenald
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone!!!!
Trying to decide if I can fit it in on our next trip. Is it worth it for a good view of Wishes? I would have to cancel a dinner reservation in order to get there for opening. How crowded does it get?
Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwenald View Post
Thanks everyone!!!!
Trying to decide if I can fit it in on our next trip. Is it worth it for a good view of Wishes? I would have to cancel a dinner reservation in order to get there for opening. How crowded does it get?
It is worth it for the fireworks view. In addition to the lounge itself, there is a terrace adjacent to it. Like the terrace at CR (outside), except that it is on the 15th floor. The safety wall is a bit tall for children to see over and like CR, there is limited seating on the terrace. If you cancel dinner, there is some finger food at TOTWL. Or, you can stop at the Contempo over at the CR and eat.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
monorailmom
DIS Veteran

I posted back in August about our terrible experience at TOTWL..but, we were just there last week, and gave it another shot.

Still awful. When we arrived, about 1hr before Wishes, the place had a lot of people, but wasn't packed. The problem was the *several* small children running around playing hide and seek! Parents didn't care, no CM ever said anything. We were able to snag tables in the little room off to the side, but what really frustrated me was the amount of other families/couples who came up, saw the chaos...and then left. Service was terrible. Waited a long time for drinks, couldn't really enjoy the atmosphere.

I know that in Aug. people pointed out to me that the previous system wasn't working. I agree...but this isn't working either. This is supposed to be a Lounge, not an indoor playground. There has to be a better answer.

Worth going up there, spending money on drinks and appetizers? We won't be doing it again any time soon. It's too bad.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

We were there last week. We arrived about 9:15 for the 9:30 Hallowishes show. We didn't go to the lounge, but went directly to the patio area. The lounge was packed with people and there were quite a few people on the patio. But there was still room for others to watch along the edge of the patio wall.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
northwenald
DIS Veteran

We have a 6:15 dinner reservation at Citricos. If we get to the lounge by 9:00 will we be able to go up and get a spot on the patio? Will we be better off watching Wishes from the Grand Floridian? I would hate to try and rush over there only to be told we can't get in or there is no room on the patio or in the lounge.

Thanks again everyone !!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #10
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwenald View Post
We have a 6:15 dinner reservation at Citricos. If we get to the lounge by 9:00 will we be able to go up and get a spot on the patio? Will we be better off watching Wishes from the Grand Floridian? I would hate to try and rush over there only to be told we can't get in or there is no room on the patio or in the lounge.

Thanks again everyone !!!!
The maximum posted occupancy is 77 for the lounge and 499 for the deck.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
dvcblt93
Mouseketeer

OP

I would suggest showing up about an hour before fireworks if you want to get something to eat or drink. You should be fine.

Showing up 15 minutes before the show is like showing up on Main Street 15minutes before the parade and expecting to get a curb side seat....
dvcblt93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcblt93 View Post
OP

I would suggest showing up about an hour before fireworks if you want to get something to eat or drink. You should be fine.

Showing up 15 minutes before the show is like showing up on Main Street 15minutes before the parade and expecting to get a curb side seat....
There is plenty of room to watch the fireworks from the wall outside. But if you want to sit down in the lounge, you'll need a bit more than 15 minutes lead time.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailmom View Post
The problem was the *several* small children running around playing hide and seek! Parents didn't care, no CM ever said anything.
And just imagine the parents of those playing children if a CM had said something. Ever witness a full member meltdown? I have when an arriving member requested a specific room number and it wasn't available. They proceeded to tell the CM that they paid $XXX for their membership and they OWN the resort, and that the CM should be fired. Not pretty, and I can't blame the CMs for not wanting that type of confrontation.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
dvcblt93
Mouseketeer

If they took that huge round thing out of the middle of the lounge and put in a few tables it would help solve the problem I think. That thing screams "Hey kids, jump on me"!!
dvcblt93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
monorailmom
DIS Veteran

I actually contacted DVC about my experiences at TOTWL...and I did say that the round ottoman has to go!!!! Really, they need more high top tables. That ottoman ends up being a trampoline!!

And though it's frustrating, I do understand why the CM's didn't say anything. Dealing with the public is hard. I mean, even my poor teenagers who work at the supermarket are not allowed to say anything to the folks who come through the express line with 50 items! They're supposed to ring it up with a smile, even though the people in line behind the offender are really upset!!!

I guess I'm just hoping there's an answer out there for TOTWL.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: