DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #31
crisi
DIS Veteran

I do the same thing Lynne does - we use DVC points to vacation at Disney (for us, every other year) and the flexibility of cash for all our other vacations - including Hawaii since 1) Aulani wasn't open when we went and 2) I have no desire to vacation on Oahu.

Don't drink the kool aid - DVC is a business transaction between you and Disney and for some people it works - and for some it doesn't - but it isn't magic, for Disney its a business and they treat it as such. If you treat it as an emotional investment while they treat it as a financial arrangement - you'll find yourself unhappy.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #32
dsanner106
DIS Veteran

It is all about getting the most for travel dollars you already intend to spend. We stay in deluxe resorts we would probably never stay in otherwise for the money we spent normally for our disney trip in a regular room. We only wish we had purchased sooner and had more years while the kids were younger to use the points.

Drew

72 offsite
'74 offsite, '01 Old Key West,'02 Wyndham
'03 timeshare,'04 Pop Century '04 Coronado Springs
'05 Offsite
'06 All Star Sports 06 CoronadoSprings '07 Bonnett Creek 07 All Star Music '08 Pop Century '08 Boardwalk Villas '09 Beachclub Villas '09 Animal Kdom kidani village'10 Saratoga Sp, '11 Bay Lake Towers,' 12' Boardwalk, '12 AK Kidani
dsanner106 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #33
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
I do the same thing Lynne does - we use DVC points to vacation at Disney (for us, every other year) and the flexibility of cash for all our other vacations - including Hawaii since 1) Aulani wasn't open when we went and 2) I have no desire to vacation on Oahu.

Don't drink the kool aid - DVC is a business transaction between you and Disney and for some people it works - and for some it doesn't - but it isn't magic, for Disney its a business and they treat it as such. If you treat it as an emotional investment while they treat it as a financial arrangement - you'll find yourself unhappy.
There are some pretty smart DVC owners on these boards, but crisi and JimMIA are two of the most "here's the facts" posters. Listen to them.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #34
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
This is SO important, and something every potential DVC buyer should read. DVC isn't 'being part of the magic'. That's a marketing line. It's just a alternate way to pay for your lodging. It's a business arrangement, no different than a car lease or a service contract on your refrigerator.

Yes, the vacations you take with DVC will hopefully be a lot more fun and interesting than a car lease or a new fridge. But it's important to remain clear-eyed about what you're buying.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #35
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

We purchased 210 points at AKV in 2009--direct from Disney. We were not aware of such a strong resale market and at the time no banks locally were giving out second mortgages. We committed the ultimate DVC/Dis board sin...

We purchased direct. We do not want to travel outside DVC so resale makes sense for us if we add-on. Again as others have mentioned. DVC changes the way you visit WDW IMHO. We only did values prior to DVC and now that we have access to villas we stay at the resorts more--we also try to go twice a year now, which means APs. Our APs we try to stretch over two trips in one year.

Do not pay attention to any "perks" I assure you they come and go--you are only really gauranteed a stay at your home resort.

1 night to stay near Biltmore in North Carolina would hvae cost me 70 points a night. A trip to Ireland for one week with Adventures by Disney-400 points per person. Aint gonna happen. We pay too much for this luxury and we bought it to enjoy at WDW--which we do.

It is our splurge and we treat it as such and we also pay the price to do so...but that works for us. You really need to decide how committed you are to Disney. For us we will not miss a single year--we knew that going in and that was the main reason we purchased our points.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #36
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

It is sorta like the traveler who commits to at 30 foot fifth wheel to camp all over the USA---they are making an expensive commitment to that lifestyle. We have a Disney Vacation Lifestyle devoted to going at least yearly.

Oh, and DVC is a way for a fire fighter and nurse to afford to go to WDW and stay in deluxe accommodations. We would never pay to stay on the monorail line. So we pay to see animals off the balcony--DVC is what has given us that opportunity--paying cash for it--never!!
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #37
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Crisi, like always, hits the nail directly on the head. If you will visit Disney every year or every other year, DVC may work for you.

Disney uses the other perks of traveling to other places as marketing tools to make the world seem wide open to new DVC members. The reality is that it isn't. The selection of what's available beyond DVC is limited and costly. So as Lynne and Crisi said, look into buying the least number of points you would need via resale and take the money you saved by NOT buying direct and put into savings to pay for trips to other places.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #38
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Just as with investments, if you are considering a timeshare you should have a diverse vacation portfolio. DVC puts itself out there as being all things to all people, but nothing is further from the truth. As many of the posters have said, DVC excels at helping you stay on property. Every other aspect of vacationing it is pretty weak at. If you want to take other vacations you should buy another timeshare system in addition to DVC, pay cash for those stays, or rent out DVC points to fund the trips. And remember this, although DVC refers to itself as "deluxe", the deluxe accommodations within other timeshare systems are much nicer. Use your DVC for stays at Disney...its great for that. Don't try to make it something that it isn't, because you'll probably end up being disappointed.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #39
stitchaholic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
I'm a lot like you....most of the time my vacations are to Central FL, but sometimes I like to go other places. Europe, cruises, other cities in the US. But I don't use my DVC points for those other things, because I've found that a) I can do it much cheaper booking on my own for cash, or b) it costs a lot more points than I have, or c) what's available for booking with points doesn't match up with my travel plans - not in the right city or country.

Since I got to FL at least once a year, I've only rarely had trouble using my 150 points. Once, I rented out some I hadn't used. A couple of times, I've banked points. If I ever decided that I wasn't going to use my points at all that year and didn't want to bank, I wouldn't hesitate to sell the whole year's allotment of points to David's and pocket the cash - which would pay for a pretty nice vacation.

I guess I'd question why you're assuming all of those 'other vacations' would have to be booked with your DVC points?

Brilliant , sell the points to pay for vacation elsewhere , so simple yet it completely went over my head , strange as I have rented from DVC owners several times

This is why I love these boards , so many great points of view , you guys really opened my eyes in ways a sales team never would .
I just love my Disney vacations , and it isn't so much about the parks anymore , as my last experience in a value was completely disheartening to me , I realized that where I stay is what makes my vacation , we just stayed at AKV kidani in October and I am already longing for another visit to the house of mouse , I can't break away .....
WLV-jan 2nd,2010 , AKL july 2011 , ASMo2012 , AKV 2012 , july 2013 Universal/SW/DC
stitchaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #40
crisi
DIS Veteran

Note that renting out your points isn't without risks either. You may find it harder to find a renter than you'd hoped. You might find checks bounce or you have to chase payment. It is possible that DVC could hold you liable for unpaid room charges or damage to the room that your renters leave behind.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: