DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #16
stitchaholic
DIS Veteran

, well we do like traveling in the quieter times .... If you can squeeze all that into 250 points , it's sounding better to me ....
WLV-jan 2nd,2010 , AKL july 2011 , ASMo2012 , AKV 2012 , july 2013 Universal/SW/DC
stitchaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #17
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Owning a DVC interest might save you some money on your lodging depending on what you would spend for a regular room.

Your total cost for your vacations depends on your vacation habits and preferences.

For us, 2 adults vacationing at WDW for 30 years with 300 BCV points will cost $231,515.00 if the points are purchased resale, $243,215.00 if direct and our costs for food, travel, admission, dues and Disney stuff has a 4% increase each year.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
stitchaholic
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=disneynutz;46889240]Owning a DVC interest might save you some money on your lodging depending on what you would spend for a regular room.

Your total cost for your vacations depends on your vacation habits and preferences.

For us, 2 adults vacationing at WDW for 30 years with 300 BCV points will cost $231,515.00 if the points are purchased resale, $243,215.00 if direct and our costs for food, travel, admission, dues and Disney stuff has a 4% increase each year.

Bill
[

These are interesting numbers , when you talk about food are you talking DDP , ddxp , oop ? Is this using your points once a year or breaking it up for several trips per year ? Do you fly ? Do you rent a car once there ?
Sorry for all the questions , but it seems like you have crunched your numbers and it gives me a good perspective
WLV-jan 2nd,2010 , AKL july 2011 , ASMo2012 , AKV 2012 , july 2013 Universal/SW/DC
Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #19
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Owning a DVC interest might save you some money on your lodging depending on what you would spend for a regular room.

Bill

These are interesting numbers , when you talk about food are you talking DDP , ddxp , oop ? Is this using your points once a year or breaking it up for several trips per year ? Do you fly ? Do you rent a car once there ?
Sorry for all the questions , but it seems like you have crunched your numbers and it gives me a good perspective
I figured $2,000 per year starting out for everything other that DVC.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:09 AM   #20
joelp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchaholic View Post
Hi , I am reserching into DVC , I see to have a weeks vacation , wether we be a family of 4 or just the 2 adults , we would need approx 300 points for a weeks stay in a 1 bedroom , most resales go for 16-17,000 .

what would the extra yearly fee's be approx on 300 points ?
Is it easy to trade points with other vacation clubs ?
can I use points for DCL ?

if you could do it all over again , would you take the plunge ? i find myself unable to tear myself away from Disney vacations , after every vacation i say , ok , next time it will be somewhere else , a different experience , yet every year i find myself longing for the house of mouse ..... what a predicament , trying to do the math
You should double-check the amount of points you think you need ...

As others have posted, depending on where you want to stay, when you plan on going, and the room view, you can stay in a 1BR for a week for less than 200 pts.

In our case, next Nov 2-9 in a 1 BR Standard Room at AKV = 181 points ...

Although the initial DVC purchase cost is a big "shock", it is the dues that end up costing considerably more over the life of ownership. So initially buying the "minimum" number of points you need is probably the best way to go ...

Good luck!

Off site - 8/76, 10/90, 10/94; POFQ - 5/07; AKL - 12/08; AKL - 9/09; Off site - 6/10; AS Movies - 3/11;
AKV-Kidani - 11/12; AKV-Jambo - 11/13 ; AKV-Jambo - 12/14

Dec 2008 Trip report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post29702539
Sep 2009 Trip Report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post34156519
Sep 2009 TR continued (but never finished) at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post36403597
March 2011 PTR at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2643038
joelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #21
stitchaholic
DIS Veteran

your absolutely right , i would only need about 220 points to start off ....
off to find out the limitations of resale vs direct now
Old 12-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #22
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
your absolutely right , i would only need about 220 points to start off ....
off to find out the limitations of resale vs direct now
If you purchase resale you cannot use your points for Concierge Collection, Disney Collection, DCL or Adventures by Disney.

You CAN, however, still trade out through RCI.

But the best value for your points will always be using them to stay at DVC resorts. Many very knowledgeable on the boards have said Disney did them a favor by restricting their resale points because using them for the restricted options are very poor points values.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #23
stitchaholic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
If you purchase resale you cannot use your points for Concierge Collection, Disney Collection, DCL or Adventures by Disney.

You CAN, however, still trade out through RCI.

But the best value for your points will always be using them to stay at DVC resorts. Many very knowledgeable on the boards have said Disney did them a favor by restricting their resale points because using them for the restricted options are very poor points values.
This is my issue , I will want to be able to move around , try different locations , cruise ..... so i'm not sure resale is a good bet for me , unless what you are telling me is I can get around it using RCI , I do not necessarily need to cruise DCL , I am ok with Carnival or RCCL .....
Can I get good value out of resale and use those points to trade with RCI locations ?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #24
crisi
DIS Veteran

There aren't cruise offering through RCI.

Disney's arrangement with RCI provides a very limited subset of the RCI resorts, and no direct access. You'd probably be better off buying a different timeshare and trading into Disney than buying DVC and trading out.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #25
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is my issue , I will want to be able to move around , try different locations , cruise ..... so i'm not sure resale is a good bet for me , unless what you are telling me is I can get around it using RCI , I do not necessarily need to cruise DCL , I am ok with Carnival or RCCL .....
Can I get good value out of resale and use those points to trade with RCI locations ?
You can't get good value trading out of DVC period. DVC is an expensive timeshare to begin with (and has expensive MFs). Trading out through RCI will almost always mean trading down in terms of quality of the lodging.

The point values for the various options that resale contracts are restricted from are terrible. If you look at the point charts, you'd see that the point totals you'd need for those options are astronomical, there's often limited availability and there's no cap on how much those options can rise from year to year.

The basic tenant of making a decision to buy DVC is this: Buy DVC if you plan to primarily to use you points for DVC. Anything else is not a wise use of your money/points.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #26
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
There aren't cruise offering through RCI.
Well, there are - but not through the DVC/RCI relationship. DVC members aren't missing much on this count. I've never found RCI's Cruise exchanges to be a good trade.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #27
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
You're describing a one-size-fits-all vacation club, and DVC isn't that. I'm not sure that exists. RCI isn't a way to book any kind of vacation you want (cruises, etc); it's a way to exchange among timeshares. And you don't even have access to all of RCI's resorts through DVC, just a limited selection of them.

When you buy DVC, whether it's direct or resale, you're purchasing the right to stay in DVC resorts. All those other exchange options are just perks, and they're subject to change (or being taken away completely) at any time.

Buy the number of points you need to cover your stays at DVC resorts. Remember that you can bank and borrow to accumulate points. So, let's say you'll want to do a stay at WDW that costs 300 points, every other year. You buy 150 points, bank your points in the year you don't go to WDW, and that gives you 300 points to use ever other year.

As timeshares go, DVC is very expensive. For people who really, really want to be on Disney property and in villa-style accommodations, it can be a good deal, compared to paying cash for a villa. But for the kinds of 'other' vacations you're looking for, you can find much, much better deals outside of DVC. Cruises, for instance. You can find terrific deals on RCCL and Carnival cruises. Using your (expensive) DVC points to pay for that is like paying Lexus prices for a Corolla.

Last edited by Lynne M; 12-10-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #28
stitchaholic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
You're describing a one-size-fits-all vacation club, and DVC isn't that. I'm not sure that exists. RCI isn't a way to book any kind of vacation you want (cruises, etc); it's a way to exchange among timeshares. And you don't even have access to all of RCI's resorts through DVC, just a limited selection of them.

When you buy DVC, whether it's direct or resale, you're purchasing the right to stay in DVC resorts. All those other exchange options are just perks, and they're subject to change (or being taken away completely) at any time.

Buy the number of points you need to cover your stays at DVC resorts. Remember that you can bank and borrow to accumulate points. So, let's say you'll want to do a stay at WDW that costs 300 points, every other year. You buy 150 points, bank your points in the year you don't go to WDW, and that gives you 300 points to use ever other year.

As timeshares go, DVC is very expensive. For people who really, really want to be on Disney property and in villa-style accommodations, it can be a good deal, compared to paying cash for a villa. But for the kinds of 'other' vacations you're looking for, you can find much, much better deals outside of DVC. Cruises, for instance. You can find terrific deals on RCCL and Carnival cruises. Using your (expensive) DVC points to pay for that is like paying Lexus prices for a Corolla.
I understand these very well put points , and Disney resorts are where I can envision taking most of my vacations , I guess what I am exploring put more clearly is this

being a Disney nut but wanting occasional options such as the caribean , cruises , mexico , Cali and eventually Hawaii and Europe , woud it be better to go directly through DVC so I can take advantage of being able to use my points on DCL or world passport collections as Disney seems to have resorts everywhere

or

buy resale and when I want other options try to trade for RCI resorts since there are limitations on resales

or

buy a time share through RCI and trade into Disney resorts when i feel the need .... ( this one makes me sad for some reason , I want to be part of the magic)
Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #29
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I understand these very well put points , and Disney resorts are where I can envision taking most of my vacations , I guess what I am exploring put more clearly is this

being a Disney nut but wanting occasional options such as the caribean , cruises , mexico , Cali and eventually Hawaii and Europe , woud it be better to go directly through DVC so I can take advantage of being able to use my points on DCL or world passport collections as Disney seems to have resorts everywhere

or

buy resale and when I want other options try to trade for RCI resorts since there are limitations on resales

or

buy a time share through RCI and trade into Disney resorts when i feel the need .... ( this one makes me sad for some reason , I want to be part of the magic)
Do a search for points charts and you will see that 300 or less points(we only have 150) will not get you to any of these others countries. You could use 3 years of points but when you factor in the cost of 3 years points again it doesn't make sense.

You can use your points in Hawaii and Cali, Hilton Head and Florida coast(all DVC resorts) with no restrictions.

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder, Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #30
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

or

or

I'm a lot like you....most of the time my vacations are to Central FL, but sometimes I like to go other places. Europe, cruises, other cities in the US. But I don't use my DVC points for those other things, because I've found that a) I can do it much cheaper booking on my own for cash, or b) it costs a lot more points than I have, or c) what's available for booking with points doesn't match up with my travel plans - not in the right city or country.

Since I got to FL at least once a year, I've only rarely had trouble using my 150 points. Once, I rented out some I hadn't used. A couple of times, I've banked points. If I ever decided that I wasn't going to use my points at all that year and didn't want to bank, I wouldn't hesitate to sell the whole year's allotment of points to David's and pocket the cash - which would pay for a pretty nice vacation.

I guess I'd question why you're assuming all of those 'other vacations' would have to be booked with your DVC points?
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: