Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #136
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Anakin got sick over the New Year and wasn't feeling up to go any where until January 5th. We were so happy to see the Christmas decorations still up at the Animal Kingdom.

This day, we actually had ADRs for the Rain Forest at 3pm. Nothing was available on Disney's website, so I called the actual restaurant. The person taking our reservation asked if we were memebers of Landry's Select Club. We are! She said she'd make a notation of that on our reservation. I didn't think anything of it. Just thought it was for the server to know to take care of the points we'll earn.

When we arrived at the AK, we all were hungry and didn't think we could wait until 3pm. I went up to the podium and asked if there was availability to eat before three. I gave my name and she said sure. As she was telling us where to wait our name was called. We were so suprised. Apparently if you have Landry's Select Card, it gives you priority seating. We didn't know that. We thought it was just for earning points. Last time we ate at Bubba Gumps we got a free entree just for becoming members. I'm really liking Landry's.

We were seated in the Gorilla Room, right between some gorillas and an aquarium.

Grumpy collects glasses, so I ordered a souvenir drink.

For lunch, dh got a burger, I got a portobella mushroom burger, and ds got a kid's pizza. We got onion rings for an appetizer.

Before I could snap a picture of the onion rings, dh and ds had it half gone. They were good! The onion rings, not the guys. They were suppose to wait, they know the rules.

My portobello mushroom burger was a nice sized potobello musroom on a bun with a spicy sauce, shredded lettuce, cheese, onions, and tomato. Chips came with the sandwich. I really enjoyed it. It was much better than the mushroom burger I had at Bubba Gumps a few months ago.

Dh's burger was a typical cheese burger. It came with cheese, one onion ring, shredded lettuce, and tomato.

Ds got the kid's pepperoni pizza.

He did NOT like the pizza at all. It was the sauce. He ate one slice and left it sit. He will never get pizza there again. We had suggested the grilled chicken but he didn't want any part of it. Everyone around us was getting the Volcano dessert. It looked great. This was one of those times I wish i could eat chocolate.

I have no idea what I said about the dessert, but I got smolder, Flynn Rider style out of the server and dh.

Our server took great care of us. Instead of having to take my glass off the table, he gave us a brand new one that was boxed and in a bag. That sure made it easier on us to carry it around AK.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #137
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

It was January 5th and the Christmas decorations were still up. I just love the tree at AK, especially the lion ornaments.

The first thing we noticed were the new entrances with the rfid readers. The cm there explained to me that eventually all the turnstiles will be replaced with these.

We noticed the new animal guides.

I'll be excited once the Wilderness Explorers start http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...m-this-spring/

http://www.wesh.com/themeparks/disne...?absolute=true

We stopped in at Guest Services. The decorations in there were pretty too.

We asked ds what he'd like to do. He wanted to go see "Mr. Kipling". Mr. Kipling is a 7 foot water monitor lizard that is a character on Jessie on the Disney Channel. So we were off to Asia to the Maharajah Jungle Trek.

It was after 2pm, but there was still a dance party happening along the way.

We found "Mr. Kipling"!

My son had a million and one questions and this wonderful cm did his very best to answer them.

We were here for a very long time. The cm was impressed with the level of his questions. What can I say, science is his thing. He had another million questions to ask, but dh and I decided it was time to move along.

I am fascinated by bats. I could have stayed here much longer. The snake was gone from the display. Ds missed him. I wasn't quite as sad

We could only see one tiger.

All the animals on the hill were gone, but there was a cm there who was explaining about the animals that are usually there. He caught ds's ear. We were fascinated to learn that one of the animal's coats changes color based on seasons.

Then the show began! A cm was picking up sticks. A peacock was determined that this cm had food for her and was relentless about trying to get it (there was no food). She tried to peck at the cm any chance she got. He was trying to do his work and trying no to get pecked at the same time. He had to get distance between he and the bird in order to work. The cm with us was explaining this all to us.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #138
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Moving along to the bird area. This was the most birds we ever saw in there.

The dance party was still happening.

Typically, my son wants to avoid It's tough to be a bug like the plague. He wants to be far from the tree as we walk around it. But recently he saw Bug's Life again. When he heard that Flick and Hopper were in there, he wanted to see them, but he was still pretty nervous. At the entrance the cm talked to him. He told her he loves Flick, but he doesn't like to get spritzed with water or air. She told him that she's seen other children who felt the same way stay in their w/c for the show and it made them feel more comfortable. He said he thinks he can do that because he really wants to see the show.

Lisa(mickeystoontown) had posted that there was netting up at the Tree of Life that blocked the view of the tree now. She asked if the netting is still up. Yes, it is.

He was a bit apprehensive as we waited to go inside

But he was soon sidetracked as a speed demon women on a ECV tried to run over me. I'm sure it all looked pretty comical, but I did get my arm hurt as I was pushed out of the way. The cm ran between me and the ECV as he tried to protect me and grab the controls from the lady. Oh she was mad. She had no clue what she was doing or that she was practically on top of me. The cm kept asking her to turn down her power on the ECV, to drive it slower. She insisted it was at the slowest.

Goofy was concerned for our safety, so he put himself between us and her. When it was time to enter the show, the cm tried to separate all of us entering the room. Kind of staggering us so that nobody got run over. He had the speed demon park as soon as you enter the room. We were safe!

Anakin's w/c sits low. It was too low for him to see. So he sat between us on the bench.

He loved the show! He was clapping, flapping, cheering, laughing, etc. He was fully engaged with the show. He said it was the best show ever.

This was a far cry from past years of having to exit before it ever started. I'm so glad it was a great experience.

Last edited by lovethattink; 01-21-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #139
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Dinoland

Dinoland was our next stop. JJ's favorite ride at the AK is Triceratop Spin. He jumped right out of the w/c and high tailed it to the queue. He was a boy on a mission. He left us behind. Goofy caught up to him and stayed with him. I stayed behind to take pictures.

It's been almost a year since he's gone on a coaster. Goofy thought he could give it a try.

He was so happy to be on it. But we should have stuck to our gut feelings. He did not feel well afterwards. He was dizzy to the point of not being able to walk right. This was the same thing that happened with Star Tours and TSM last year during SWW. This proved that he still can't go on these rides no matter how much begging he does.

Before we headed home, I wanted to look for the Year of the Ear ears. I found one kind of them, along with some other interesting merchandise along the way.

As we left, we admired the tree at night time.

And I took a picture of the Peacock Year of the Ear hat I bought. So far this is the only purchase I have made. I saw so many other things that caught my eye, but a 10% discount just isn't quite as inviting as the 20% one.

2012 was a great Christmas season. We got to see many of the sights at Disney. There were still many things we didn't get to see. Hopefully next year we'll be able to knock them off the list. We enjoyed everything we had the opportunity to see this season. In retrospect, my favorite was the glass blowing in Germany. The one thing that I look most forward to next year that I missed this year is the Candlelight Processional.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #140
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

I love AK. There is talk about a new park being built at the DLR and I would love an AK or an Epcot. I have heard that they are considering a water park and frankly that's a waste in my opinion.

Yay for JJ and It's Tough To Be A Bug. My oldest Kacy will not watch that or any other 3D show. The things in the face really bother her. I get it. I am claustrophobic so anything in my face really bugs me but I love the movies. Especially the Muppets 3D.

The trees are always so pretty. I love how they are themed to the areas they are in.

That Minnie dress is adorable! If I was years younger I might just have to get it!

Too bad about JJ and the roller coasters but thankfully Disney is about so much more than coasters.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #141
disney212
DIS Veteran

Glad he was feeling better and you were still able to enjoy the decorations. It looks like you were having a great time, until the roller coaster. Hopefully he started feeling better quickly. I saw the same dress on our last trip and wanted it so bad but figured a 45 year old woman couldn't pull it off! I wish it would have come in a smaller size so I could have gotten it for my daughter (23).
Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #142
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I love AK. There is talk about a new park being built at the DLR and I would love an AK or an Epcot. I have heard that they are considering a water park and frankly that's a waste in my opinion.

Yay for JJ and It's Tough To Be A Bug. My oldest Kacy will not watch that or any other 3D show. The things in the face really bother her. I get it. I am claustrophobic so anything in my face really bugs me but I love the movies. Especially the Muppets 3D.

The trees are always so pretty. I love how they are themed to the areas they are in.

That Minnie dress is adorable! If I was years younger I might just have to get it!

Too bad about JJ and the roller coasters but thankfully Disney is about so much more than coasters.
A new park would be great! Epcot or AK would be fantastic.

He was like your daughter for the last two years. Recently he started liking Philharmagic (I think it was this summer he started). Who knows, maybe sometime he'll be game for Captain EO at Epcot?

Yes, the tree themes are awesome. Even the Baby Care centers have baby and that theme park's theme.

I'm in my 40's. If I was thinner I'd consider the minnie dress.

Yes, Disney is definately more than roller coasters. There really is something for everyone at Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney212 View Post
Glad he was feeling better and you were still able to enjoy the decorations. It looks like you were having a great time, until the roller coaster. Hopefully he started feeling better quickly. I saw the same dress on our last trip and wanted it so bad but figured a 45 year old woman couldn't pull it off! I wish it would have come in a smaller size so I could have gotten it for my daughter (23).
He even had a great time with the coaster. He said it was worth it and he'd do it again. We just won't be allowing him.

Age is just a number. If I pull off my great weight caper for May, maybe I'll go for it despite my age. My heighth might be another factor though.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #143
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

I didn't realize that they had trees in the baby center even, that is great. Disney knows how to do the holidays. for sure.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #144
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

i love the updates. Love the 2013 Duffy outfit. Also Wilderness Explorer coming to Animal Kingdom there's going to be so much new stuff by the time I go again already Sorceror's of the Magic Kingdom and the New Fantasyland area
Old 01-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #145
mommy2mrb
Mama to a Princess - But I'm a Scrap Princess
But you wouldn't need the clothes if you had the hot man

looks like you had a wonderful day at AK except Anakin not feeling good after the coaster!
love all the decorations! yuck to bats and snakes...I have to cruise through that area!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #146
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I didn't realize that they had trees in the baby center even, that is great. Disney knows how to do the holidays. for sure.
Huge beautiful wreaths as you walked in the door at the one at the MK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
i love the updates. Love the 2013 Duffy outfit. Also Wilderness Explorer coming to Animal Kingdom there's going to be so much new stuff by the time I go again already Sorceror's of the Magic Kingdom and the New Fantasyland area
I knew that Duffy would catch your eye.

Your next trip will be like another first trip with all the new stuff. Very exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2mrb View Post
looks like you had a wonderful day at AK except Anakin not feeling good after the coaster!
love all the decorations! yuck to bats and snakes...I have to cruise through that area!
The only thing we have to cruise through is the gorilla section. JJ is scared of them and I'm not sure why. He won't go anywhere near that big window.

It was a wonderful day. We very much enjoyed everything we had the opportunity to do from Thanksgiving through the beginning of the new year.

Most recently we got to participate in one of the limited time magic events. I have to figure out where I'll put that report?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #147
mommy2mrb
Mama to a Princess - But I'm a Scrap Princess
But you wouldn't need the clothes if you had the hot man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Huge beautiful wreaths as you walked in the door at the one at the MK.

Your next trip will be like another first trip with all the new stuff. Very exciting.

The only thing we have to cruise through is the gorilla section. JJ is scared of them and I'm not sure why. He won't go anywhere near that big window.

It was a wonderful day. We very much enjoyed everything we had the opportunity to do from Thanksgiving through the beginning of the new year.

Most recently we got to participate in one of the limited time magic events. I have to figure out where I'll put that report?

sorry the gorilla's scare JJ....
just post it here, we need to know what you did

Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #148
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

All caught up!

It looks like you had a wonderful lunch at RC! Great service, early seating, and a new mug! I love the "smoulder" picture lol

Great picture with your son talking to that CM. What a sweet moment. It is really great that he is able to talk about all of the stuff he loves while on vacation, with someone who is interested. Disney is the best!

It is also amazing that he got to enjoy It's Tough to be a Bug! The CMs there sound great, making him feel better about it, and staying in his chair is a good way to enjoy the show without all of those extra sensory things like sprays and the bugs on the seats.

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #149
WDWRids
Ready to go back!!

Loved your AK day! So glad Anakin enjoyed It's Tough to Be a Bug. Yikes on the crazy lady in the scooter - very dangerous. Glad he enjoyed the coasters but not good that they didn't like him later on. Maybe next year that will improve! The pics were great and you could tell he really was enjoying the rides!

Thanks for all the Christmas photos and stories! Having not been at Christmas it gave me good insight into what is offered and available to see. Thinking we may need to head down this year after Thanksgiving since DH can't go with me in Feb. I think it could be a nice treat for him after months of recup.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #150
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Quote:
I love him

Quote:
It's a great excuse to plan another trip.. I just need money and someone to come with me

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: