Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #91
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltl Mermaid View Post
I would be really disappointed if Carsland came to WDW. It is nice to have something completely unique here in CA. Plus Radiator Springs Racers is very similar to Test Track which is already at WDW. I think a Toy Story or Monsters Inc land (Monstropolis) would be awesome!
Agreed - and didn't Test Track just receive an update?
Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #92
JB2K
DIS Veteran

As for Avatar, yes, it was a big hit in 2009 -- that is, until the next big thing came along.

And that "next big thing"? Disney's very own "The Avengers"!

I would much rather see Disney Parks capitalize on the mega-money properties they already own such as "Star Wars" and "The Avengers" (by, perhaps making a "swap" with Universal of "Avatar" for the rights of the Marvel characters they are currently using?)

Last edited by JB2K; 01-03-2013 at 12:50 PM.
JB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #93
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2K View Post
As for Avatar, yes, it was a big hit in 2009 -- that is, until the next big thing came along.

I would much rather see Disney Parks capitalize on the mega-money properties they already own such as "Star Wars" and "The Avengers" (by, perhaps making a "swap" with Universal of "Avatar" for the rights of the Marvel characters they are currently using?)
Likelihood of any "swap" would be pretty low. Cameron would have to agree, too...and I'm not sure that would be in the cards. Disney couldn't just simply transfer the existing contract over to Universal.

Hypothetically, even if he agreed...it would take more than a straight swap. Marvel Island is already built. Uni would want the money they spent to build it, the money it would cost to dismantle it, and the money it would take to build something else as WELL as a hefty penalty/premium to convince them to get out. The Avatar swap might go, slightly, toward that premium..but you're probably still talking about close to a billion in cash to go along with it to "convince" Uni to turn the Marvel rights back over to Disney.

And the alternative is that Disney sits back and collects checks from Universal, basically doing nothing, investing nothing, and taking no risk.

On the flip side, Uni has a popular area of their theme park, which brings in customers (and whose attractions are considered highlights of the park), and which is making them substantial money. Other than an obscene amount of cash...they really have no reason to change things out. It would require them to shutter a good sized section of their park, spending more money on demo, design, and rebuild, all while taking a substantial risk that what they build isn't as popular as what they have, right now.

I don't see much reason for either side to rock the boat, as it were.

Last edited by pilferk; 01-04-2013 at 09:24 AM.
pilferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #94
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2K View Post

I believe Avatar was offered to Universal at one point but they were not interested.

Last edited by DanBoris; 01-13-2013 at 05:50 PM.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #95
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile ~Hey, it's Friday!!! LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Ugh, while I am one of the few adults that actually liked Cars and was sort of OK with Cars 2, Planes is a DTV cash-grab that they are making an extra cash-grab on by releasing it to theatres. Ugh...no Planesland!

Oh awesome! I'm CAP! I just noticed this. You are of course welcome to join us for a drink, even if it is a Cosmo. Especially if you're wearing that outfit.
~Yay, it's finally Friday! ~111~ Thanks for the welcome, I'm so there! And, don't knock the pink drink, you don't know what you're missing! As for the outfit, anything for you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I said that in my post. IT was made as a DTV movie though - it doesn't make it less of a cash-grab.

And YES I know that Toy Story 2 was originally going to be DTV - but that's the exception to the rule, most DTV Disney stuff is mediocrity to occupy kids eyes. My daughter likes the Tinkerbell stuff, but it's not at the level of the Disney theatrical releases. I am not high on "Planes" for this reason. (no pun intended
)
~I'm not high on "Planes" either. I watched the trailor, I think Disney should take it down & start again from scratch! It just doesn't scream box office to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmash95 View Post
lets look at what carsland has.. basically two more kiddie rides that could be tranplanted to wdw in other forms and a ride that is an awful lot like test track rethemed. I think they all can stay in california and maybe bring the floating tires ride to tommorrowland as floating saucers or something like that. however the wait time for something like that is very long.
~I have to agree with this. I saw the tire ride & I hope those huge balls were just part of the commercial. Seriously, they can keep this right in DCA, no need to share. I think WDW can create something far better. Obviously, I'll take it, if that's the best Disney can do. But, I think Star Wars Land and Pixar Land (which could have something "Cars" related) would be a much better fit! We'll see.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: