Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #76
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
There are a lot more people who support avatar than you think. Remember protesters are always the loudest.
Count me in on the Protesters. But, I am not anti Avatar, I am anti location. Expand Studios with Carsland and Avatar. Someone on one of the Avatar rumor posts suggested that that land should be used for an Australia land - how great would that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Understand that once Walt died, the company was no longer as financially stable as it had been in the fifties/sixties. The seventies/eighties were a scary time, with the theatrical movies mostly being not the moneymakers they were under Walt. There was no way they were going to invest in a "City of the Future". I think what they came up with is a wonderful park that has since been poorly maintained/updated.
Good comments, Pete. I agree / disagree:
  • Is true Disney did not have the financial power once the two brothers died.
  • The new Management (Card Walker et al) were not creative guys and had no idea how to move the company forward. As has been documented in many books they said: "What Would Walt Do?". Well, Walt liked to think out of the box - not do the same thing twice!
  • I agree the company was dying at the box-office in the 70's / 80's. While the industry was revitalized by a number of ground-breaking releases. Disney chose to make: Herbie Rides Again, Herbie Go's to Monte Carlo and Herbie Go's Banana's. Their one critical success, Splash, was almost rejected by management as too risque.
  • Walt bought all that Florida land so that he was not surrounded by hotels/restaurants as he was in Anaheim. What happened? It took 10 years for the company to build a new hotel on their property.
  • As dumb as management was at that time, even the creative people tried to talk Walt out of his version of Epcot. It was a personal social experiment and not a money generating tool. No corporations (though they were approached) were willing to sign-on. Only Walt would have had the power to get it built.
  • Even though Eisner turned in to Napoleon in the last 10 years of his reign, you have got to thank him for all of the expansion in Orlando. All the resorts, DVC, DTD expansion, Studio's, AK, etc. Simply put, he developed the creative model that will guide the company for years to come.
  • I agree fully that Epcot has been poorly maintained/updated. After visiting there last week I was almost disgusted. Other then Soarin', what have they done? Test Track? Chevy paid the freight for that!

Last edited by bom_noite; 12-23-2012 at 02:27 PM.
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #77
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Quote:
Originally Posted by bom_noite View Post
Count me in on the Protesters. But, I am not anti Avatar, I am anti location. Expand Studios with Carsland and Avatar. Someone on one of the Avatar rumor posts suggested that that land should be used for an Australia land - how great would that be?
]
I would prefer it. Heres what I would have

1. Log flume
2. Steak/seafood sit down
3. Eucalyptus forest walk thru with tree kangaroos, kookaburas, and koalas
4. sea lion pool

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #78
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~I just don't like the way Ariel looks, it's like whoever designed the ride despises her or something because on the video she looks awful and I'm not even talking about the weird cartoon when Ariel gets legs. I hope it looks different in person.

Anyway, Carsland must be really fabulous! I'm going to have to make a trip to see it! Disney just announced plans to release a new Pixar film called "Planes" in August 2013! DHS might get "Planesland" instead of Carsland. I'm just kidding - about "Planesland" but the movie is real! --->
~Disney's Planes~
Ugh, while I am one of the few adults that actually liked Cars and was sort of OK with Cars 2, Planes is a DTV cash-grab that they are making an extra cash-grab on by releasing it to theatres. Ugh...no Planesland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~Awww, this is so sweet! You both are class acts! We don't have to agree on everything! We all share one commonality -- the fruition Avatarland! And not because, we love the movie so much but because we understand & value the spirit of creativity & innovation for the theme park experience!

~Hey, don't forget about me... I need a drink, too! I'll have a virtual Cosmopolitan, or two.

[CENTER]~This totally reminds me of the Avengers! The pro-Avatarland group may be small in number here, but we are fierce!

Oh awesome! I'm CAP! I just noticed this. You are of course welcome to join us for a drink, even if it is a Cosmo. Especially if you're wearing that outfit.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #79
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnGorski View Post
Still Avatar land in very early stages in planning, so this time next year if lucky we will see some concept art.
If we were lucky, they'd scrap it.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #80
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

Planes is now a THEATRICAL RELEASE
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #81
PALionKingfan
Mouseketeer

I am in the minority hear but I do not think they will do a carsland at Hollywood Studios. I think they are going to close down the backlot tour and lights, motor action (no big losses) and expand on Pixar Place. I think they are going to make a Pixarland with a "E" ticket attraction that is Pixar themed. Also, I'm not an Avatar fan but if it replaces Camp Mickey then that is ok as long as they put Festival of the Lion King in the Africa section (which is a better fit themewise anyway). And when they do relocate it put in some benches with a back on them. If it is done right with a good "E" ticket attraction and good table service and quick service restaurant then I think Avatarland would be a beneficial upgrade to Animal Kingdom.
PALionKingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #82
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamarmiller View Post
Planes is now a THEATRICAL RELEASE
I said that in my post. IT was made as a DTV movie though - it doesn't make it less of a cash-grab.

And YES I know that Toy Story 2 was originally going to be DTV - but that's the exception to the rule, most DTV Disney stuff is mediocrity to occupy kids eyes. My daughter likes the Tinkerbell stuff, but it's not at the level of the Disney theatrical releases. I am not high on "Planes" for this reason. (no pun intended)

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #83
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
If we were lucky, they'd scrap it.
Great idea. Then they can just give Iger a bigger bonus next year.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #84
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
Great idea. Then they can just give Iger a bigger bonus next year.
Avatar just isn't a substitute for Harry Potter. I'd love to see a Middle Earth or a REAL Narnia. How about anything, other than Avatar?
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #85
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Avatar just isn't a substitute for Harry Potter. I'd love to see a Middle Earth or a REAL Narnia. How about anything, other than Avatar?
that whole biolumenesence floating mountain thing not for you huh?

i too am for middle earth but not at DAK
great visuals
fits conservation theme
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #86
Skatetigger
Mouseketeer

Wow when did this become a DL versus WDW debate as well.

Having been to both I feel there are great things about both parks and one should never have to choose. I feel the same "magic" at both parks. I disagree that WDW doesn't feel like Walt. I get that sense walking up main street or taking the jungle cruise (yes I know it was a DL ride first). You also get that sense with parts of EPCOT.

I go to WDW more cause I live on the East Coast and it's easier and cheaper for me to get to. Does that mean I am one that likes the Disney Corporation over the magic that Walt created, no. I think for anyone to just assume that those of us that go to WDW don't appreciate Walt and his magic is nonsense. I am fan of Walt Disney and his accomplishments.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have Carsland at DHS. We were able to experience it at DL in October and it's truly magical. Orange cones and all. Radiator Springs Racers kicks Test Track's behind (although I haven't tried the redesign ). It'sSOOOO cool. And for those who don't get to DL, it would be nice to have it at WDW.

As for Avitarland, didn't see the movie but think the land would be cool. i just like that Disney is always trying to improve and create new magic.
Skatetigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #87
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
i too am for middle earth but not at DAK
great visuals
fits conservation theme
All things considered, I'd be rather shocked to see Middle Earth at WDW (or any Disney park for that mater).

The rights to make the movies didn't, apparently, include any sort of theme park rights (just merchandising based off the characters/characterizations). Which means Disney would be dealing with the Tolkien estate directly. Tolkien had a pretty well documented dislike for all thinks Disney and "Disney-fied" (according to various sources, not least of which is his own hand, in his letters..specifically letters 13, 107, and 234 from The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien). It sounds like his estate and heirs have kept that in mind.

And if they wanted to use movie imaging, as well...they'd need to deal with New Line/MGM, Jackson, and Warner, seperately. Jackson is reportedly no fan of Disney, after what went down with Miramax after Disney purchased it. I'm not sure how deep that dislike goes (he's one of the many rumored participants in one of the next Star Wars films). And, reportedly, New Line, Warner, and Jackson were all a bit mifffed that Alan Horn was pilfered from the Hobbit project before it was really completed. There might not be enough hostility embedded there to be a HUGE stumbling block, but there's certainly some fences to mend.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #88
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride View Post
I would prefer it. Heres what I would have

1. Log flume
2. Steak/seafood sit down
3. Eucalyptus forest walk thru with tree kangaroos, kookaburas, and koalas
4. sea lion pool
Like those ideas. I would just love a skewer of Shrimp from the Barbie.

I would also add: Ayers Rock RollerCoaster. A Great Barrier Reef.

I just think Americans are fascinated by Australia unlike other places. I think the masses would beat a path to AK to see a new Aussie land.
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #89
sammons70
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltl Mermaid View Post
I would be really disappointed if Carsland came to WDW. It is nice to have something completely unique here in CA. Plus Radiator Springs Racers is very similar to Test Track which is already at WDW. I think a Toy Story or Monsters Inc land (Monstropolis) would be awesome!
It would be nice for DL to have something unique. WDW already has so much more than DL. There are no Kilamanjaro safaris, World Showcase, or Living Seas at DL. Let DL have something unique for once.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #90
cmash95
a princess at heart

lets look at what carsland has.. basically two more kiddie rides that could be tranplanted to wdw in other forms and a ride that is an awful lot like test track rethemed. I think they all can stay in california and maybe bring the floating tires ride to tommorrowland as floating saucers or something like that. however the wait time for something like that is very long.
september 2006- carnival miracle
may 2008 - disney magic reposition through panama canal
December 2009 - disney magic eastern with stop in st croix.
August 2010 - disney wonder 5 day castaway cay
june 2011- dinsey dream 5 day castaway cay
june 2012- Disney fantasy 7 day eastern
cmash95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: