Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #31
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,482

Smile ~I can't wait for Avatarland!

~It is a huge, notable accomplishment for any sci-fi or blockbuster film to be nominated by the Oscar Academy for Best Motion Picture, along with 8 other nominations. Avatar grossed almost $3 Billion dollars and won 3 out of 9 Oscars, along with a host of other nominations and awards.

~There are two more film installments set to be released. Currently, movies theaters aren't even equipped with the technology needed to facilitate the proper showing(s) of Avatar 2 & 3.

~Cameron has even assembled a team to support and assist movie theaters in acquiring the necessary updates. It will take a few years for all theaters to be updated.

~With that said, the movie doesn't matter. Again, I don't like Avatar the film. I could not get past the first thirty minutes, but I am so thrilled about Avatar-land.

~Animal Kingdom is a theme park, not the cinema. I'm not thinking about a screenplay or how "good" a movie was, when I'm on a ride or walking through a land. I could not care less. When I'm on ToT, I don't think about Twilight Zone the movie, or "Song of the South" when I'm on Splash Mountain.

~Avatar is a perfect fit for Animal Kingdom. The film contains a plethora of beautiful, scenic, awe-inspiring content for Imagineers to create something out of this world. I want to see something that has never been done before. I want to be transported to another place, a place like no other, not another Carsland! Carsland at DCA is amazing, so I'm not bashing it. However, we don't need two, one will pale in comparison. Guess which one, lol?

~StarWars-land belongs at DHS. Along, with a much needed expansion on the Pixar theme. Done.

~What's even more telling is the New Fantasyland. The grand opening ceremonies were this week, where is all the frenzy and super long lines? People aren't even talking about it, much less lining up to see it.

~If you don't like Avatar-land that's perfectly fine. I just don't understand this need to try to justify it, by bashing the film. That is so totally beyond lame, it makes no sense, especially since Avatar was a huge success.

~Avatar - Awards & Nominations

~IMDb rates Avatar "8 out of 10"

~Roger Ebert gives Avatar "4 Stars"

~Richard Roeper gives Avatar an "A-"

~Rotten Tomatoes -TOMATOMETER "CERTIFIED FRESH"



~What do Yetis, Dinosaurs & Dragons have to do with conservation?!? Animal Kingdom is a fun theme park, not a historical museum. I have plenty here where I live, I don't visit Disney for that. I have yet to hear one good solid argument as to why Avatar is not a good fit for AK. Not one.

~If it helps at all, try to think of Avatarland as "Disney's adaptation of Avatar." You've never seen that -- so how can you judge? We have no idea how Imagineers will interpret and translate this film into a themed land. I believe in Disney magic and trust Disney's Imagineers and James Cameron's team to create something beyond amazing! I cannot wait for more details! Avatar-land will be fabulous!
__________________


Last edited by DRDISNEYMD; 12-10-2012 at 04:31 AM.
DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #32
DaniH
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 62

I really hope they make Carsland happen at DHS. I know alot of DL fans don't want it to be there because they want it to stay unique to California Adventure but not everyone can make it to California. I live in Michigan and the airfare to California for a whole family is just to expensive, not to mention the length of a flight like that with 2 kids being torturous! My kids have grown up with Cars. Star Wars land would be cool but more for my husband & I & our oldest son than our littler kids. They just aren't that into SW. Being able to spend a day IN Radiator Springs would be something we would all love (my younger son is not so excited about New Fantasyland). I am guessing they didn't talk about it because they don't want to steal New Fantasyland's thunder (ha! Ka-Chow!) I'll bet there will be an annoucement in the next few months.
DaniH is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #33
Mouse14
Wish I was at the Lodge
 
Mouse14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Brandon,Fl
Posts: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red24Red30

Yes. And I would appreciate some respect for my opinion, please.

Regardless of what happened in the movie, when many people left the theater, one of their major feelings was "corporations are evil". Feelings like that make it very hard for people to want to trust or work with corporations. And that's exactly what we need to do for real conservation work to happen.
This is rumors and news, don't you know respect isn't allowed here trust me I know... Im mind boggled on how avatar sends a message that corporations are evil??? It's a movie....
__________________
Fort Wilderness countless times (1990-now)
Allstar resorts- couple times

Dates i can remember....
Annual pass holder in Feb 2010

Wilderness lodge- (Feb 4,5,6 2010)(Feb 4,5,6 2011)
Caribbean Beach - (Mar 2010)
Saratoga Springs- (July 2010)
Coronado- (Aug2010)
Offsite for Not so scary Halloween party (Oct 2010)
Allstar Movies for Very Merry Christmas party (Dec2010)

POP for Vey Merry (Dec 2011)
Aulani for honeymoon (Feb 4-11 2012)
Mouse14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #34
twebber55
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red24Red30 View Post
In McBride's defense, the number of Oscars a film has won does not make it a good movie. That's just your opinion.

Just like your opinion about Avatar fitting into DAK's theming. I don't think it does. I think it would fit better at DHS due to its cinematic nature and popcorn-friendly action scenes. To me, DAK's theming is more grounded. Sure, there are dinosaurs and even a yeti, but these creatures are a part of earth's history and rich culture, not some far-off fictional moon produced by Hollywood. DAK should be about appreciating our planet. Let's showcase the amazing creatures and cultures that are here and deserving of our appreciation.

Just my opinion, of course.
i agree with most of what you said except for the part about oscars and critical success does not make it a good movie...when you have critical success as well as box office success it defines being a good movie...i hated drinving miss daisy is it therefora bad movie..nope great movie that i didnt care for

just my worthless 2 cents of an opinion
__________________
June 2008 OKW
July 2008 SSR
June 2009 HHI
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #35
twebber55
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~It is a huge, notable accomplishment for any sci-fi or blockbuster film to be nominated by the Oscar Academy for Best Motion Picture, along with 8 other nominations. Avatar grossed almost $3 Billion dollars and won 3 out of 9 Oscars, along with a host of other nominations and awards.

~There are two more film installments set to be released. Currently, movies theaters aren't even equipped with the technology needed to facilitate the proper showing(s) of Avatar 2 & 3.

~Cameron has even assembled a team to support and assist movie theaters in acquiring the necessary updates. It will take a few years for all theaters to be updated.

~With that said, the movie doesn't matter. Again, I don't like Avatar the film. I could not get past the first thirty minutes, but I am so thrilled about Avatar-land.

~Animal Kingdom is a theme park, not the cinema. I'm not thinking about a screenplay or how "good" a movie was, when I'm on a ride or walking through a land. I could not care less. When I'm on ToT, I don't think about Twilight Zone the movie, or "Song of the South" when I'm on Splash Mountain.

~Avatar is a perfect fit for Animal Kingdom. The film contains a plethora of beautiful, scenic, awe-inspiring content for Imagineers to create something out of this world. I want to see something that has never been done before. I want to be transported to another place, a place like no other, not another Carsland! Carsland at DCA is amazing, so I'm not bashing it. However, we don't need two, one will pale in comparison. Guess which one, lol?

~StarWars-land belongs at DHS. Along, with a much needed expansion on the Pixar theme. Done.

~What's even more telling is the New Fantasyland. The grand opening ceremonies were this week, where is all the frenzy and super long lines? People aren't even talking about it, much less lining up to see it.

~If you don't like Avatar-land that's perfectly fine. I just don't understand this need to try to justify it, by bashing the film. That is so totally beyond lame, it makes no sense, especially since Avatar was a huge success.

~Avatar - Awards & Nominations

~IMDb rates Avatar "8 out of 10"

~Roger Ebert gives Avatar "4 Stars"

~Richard Roeper gives Avatar an "A-"

~Rotten Tomatoes -TOMATOMETER "CERTIFIED FRESH"



~What do Yetis, Dinosaurs & Dragons have to do with conservation?!? Animal Kingdom is a fun theme park, not a historical museum. I have plenty here where I live, I don't visit Disney for that. I have yet to hear one good solid argument as to why Avatar is not a good fit for AK. Not one.

~If it helps at all, try to think of Avatarland as "Disney's adaptation of Avatar." You've never seen that -- so how can you judge? We have no idea how Imagineers will interpret and translate this film into a themed land. I believe in Disney magic and trust Disney's Imagineers and James Cameron's team to create something beyond amazing! I cannot wait for more details! Avatar-land will be fabulous!
well said you ve just said every point that needs to be made
__________________
June 2008 OKW
July 2008 SSR
June 2009 HHI
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #36
Red24Red30
Comets!
 
Red24Red30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse14 View Post
This is rumors and news, don't you know respect isn't allowed here trust me I know... Im mind boggled on how avatar sends a message that corporations are evil??? It's a movie....
Although movies are usually created primarily for entertainment, many are designed to send a message as well. Watch Blood Diamond; it sends it's message about as subtly as Avatar does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
i agree with most of what you said except for the part about oscars and critical success does not make it a good movie...when you have critical success as well as box office success it defines being a good movie...i hated drinving miss daisy is it therefora bad movie..nope great movie that i didnt care for

just my worthless 2 cents of an opinion
If you hated Driving Miss Daisy, it's a terrible movie from your point of view. For the people who like it, it's a great movie. Same with Avatar; it's all subjective. Saying that a movie is objectively great is flawed logic: opinions cannot simultaneously be facts.

You could say that Avatar made such-and-such amount of money. You could say that it won however many awards. Those are facts. But when you say it's "great", that's an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~What do Yetis, Dinosaurs & Dragons have to do with conservation?!? Animal Kingdom is a fun theme park, not a historical museum. I have plenty here where I live, I don't visit Disney for that. I have yet to hear one good solid argument as to why Avatar is not a good fit for AK. Not one.
Since you asked...

Expedition Everest's story is about respecting nature. When people start taking the trains up the Forbidden Mountain, the sacred guardian becomes protective. The conservation theme is to respect nature from a safe distance.

Dinosaurs fit in with two conservation themes: first, they encourage us to learn more about earth's natural history, and second, the fact that they are extinct makes us look to our own responsiblity in preserving today's animals. While the dinosaurs faced an unstoppable apocalypse, we have the power to help the animals of today. One of the messages I used most often at the Dinoland Kid's Discovery Club station was to ask children "what can we do to help make sure animals don't become extinct?"

As for dragons, we all know the Beastly Kingdom was scrapped. However, if it was built, the conservation theme could easily be applied because mythical creatures were inspired by mankind's awe of animals. I could see myself asking kids "what animals do you think are most like dragons? Reptiles? Dinosaurs? Did you know you can see REAL dragons on the Maharajah Jungle Trek (Komodo dragons)?" Then the child goes and explores another land (Asia) where she learns about the Komodo dragon and perhaps is inspired to learn about the other fascinating creatures of the continent. Mythical beasts show just how important animals are to our diverse cultural heritage across the world, and are a great way to connect guests to the creatures of the world.

You may think that I'm really stretching to apply conservation themes to these attractions, but having worked in the conservation education department, I know that the Imagineers purposely added a whole bunch of conservation theming into the queues, rides, and scenery. For instance, there is a multi-part stone tableau near the end of Maharajah Jungle Trek that depicts people living in harmony with nature, but then they start to abuse nature with deforestation and poaching. This causes mother nature to intervene with natural disasters, prompting the people to once again live in harmony with nature.

Did you know that the multi-colored, animal-themed benches all around Discovery Island are all made out of 100% recycled plastic grocery bags? Or that the reason they don't give you a lid when you purchase a drink is so what they won't find their way into animal enclosures?

You are right that Animal Kingdom is a fun theme park. It is not a historical museum. But to say that it's not also a place to learn and be inspired to take action is wrong. Guests can play educational games at the KDCs, interact with cool conservation props and keepers in the Oasis, spend time at Conservation Station, donate to the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund and receive a cool pin, observe the enrichment sessions at the tigers and siamangs, observe veterinary surgeries, talk to the cultural interns in Africa or Asia, watch Harambe School, listen to the conservation messages during Flights of Wonder, view the many themed field researcher journals or listen to the conservation education staff along the nature trails (fruit bat presentation, gorillla talks, etc.)

True, they probably have many similar educational features at your local zoo. But I guarantee you they don't do it like Animal Kingdom does. DAK has some of the best veterinary, keeper, conservation, and animal management staff in the world. Even the KDCs are intricately themed by Imagineering, and include immersive games also developed by WDI.

I'm sorry that when you visit Animal Kingdom you ignore all of the seamless effort that Disney puts into the conservation theme.

You're right; you probably have zoos back home, but none of them match the quality of Disney in terms of fun, theming, and dedication to conservation. In my opinion, not even the San Diego Zoo does it so well. With DAK, Disney has made conservation education fun. Next time you visit, I urge you to take the time to learn something about the amazing wildlife and the things you can do to help. You might be surprised by how fun and fulfilling Disney makes it!

Last edited by Red24Red30; 12-10-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Red24Red30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #37
KCharming
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltl Mermaid
I would be really disappointed if Carsland came to WDW. It is nice to have something completely unique here in CA. Plus Radiator Springs Racers is very similar to Test Track which is already at WDW. I think a Toy Story or Monsters Inc land (Monstropolis) would be awesome!
Except DL is too expensive to go to! With the on property hotels ripping off guests with an obscene nightly room fee. I live in Denver and prefer WDW because you can actually stay on property without paying over 2000.00 oh and WDW doesn't charge for the Magical Express. It would be a good extension to WDW because more families request there and DL.
KCharming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #38
KCharming
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseEarsForAll

That's not what people in Florida are saying... WDW wants everything DL's got. WDW is the little brother that is trying to beat its older brother at everything.
WDW has beat it's older brother. more room, bigger castle, cheaper rates, I could go on and on. WDW is the better choice when it comes to a family vacation.
KCharming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #39
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,839

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniH View Post
I really hope they make Carsland happen at DHS. I know alot of DL fans don't want it to be there because they want it to stay unique to California Adventure but not everyone can make it to California. I live in Michigan and the airfare to California for a whole family is just to expensive, not to mention the length of a flight like that with 2 kids being torturous! My kids have grown up with Cars. Star Wars land would be cool but more for my husband & I & our oldest son than our littler kids. They just aren't that into SW. Being able to spend a day IN Radiator Springs would be something we would all love (my younger son is not so excited about New Fantasyland). I am guessing they didn't talk about it because they don't want to steal New Fantasyland's thunder (ha! Ka-Chow!) I'll bet there will be an annoucement in the next few months.
So you never get to experience Cars Land unless you go to Cali, would you somehow feel cheated or upset if they instead built a fantastic Monsters, Inc. land at MGM that no one else has?

The key is imagination and quality and sequels, duplication and such just isn't good enough, IMO. They're making the big bucks, we the public should DEMAND they earn it.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #40
twebber55
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red24Red30

Although movies are usually created primarily for entertainment, many are designed to send a message as well. Watch Blood Diamond; it sends it's message about as subtly as Avatar does.

If you hated Driving Miss Daisy, it's a terrible movie from your point of view. For the people who like it, it's a great movie. Same with Avatar; it's all subjective. Saying that a movie is objectively great is flawed logic: opinions cannot simultaneously be facts.

You could say that Avatar made such-and-such amount of money. You could say that it won however many awards. Those are facts. But when you say it's "great", that's an opinion.

Since you asked...

Expedition Everest's story is about respecting nature. When people start taking the trains up the Forbidden Mountain, the sacred guardian becomes protective. The conservation theme is to respect nature from a safe distance.

Dinosaurs fit in with two conservation themes: first, they encourage us to learn more about earth's natural history, and second, the fact that they are extinct makes us look to our own responsiblity in preserving today's animals. While the dinosaurs faced an unstoppable apocalypse, we have the power to help the animals of today. One of the messages I used most often at the Dinoland Kid's Discovery Club station was to ask children "what can we do to help make sure animals don't become extinct?"

As for dragons, we all know the Beastly Kingdom was scrapped. However, if it was built, the conservation theme could easily be applied because mythical creatures were inspired by mankind's awe of animals. I could see myself asking kids "what animals do you think are most like dragons? Reptiles? Dinosaurs? Did you know you can see REAL dragons on the Maharajah Jungle Trek (Komodo dragons)?" Then the child goes and explores another land (Asia) where she learns about the Komodo dragon and perhaps is inspired to learn about the other fascinating creatures of the continent. Mythical beasts show just how important animals are to our diverse cultural heritage across the world, and are a great way to connect guests to the creatures of the world.

You may think that I'm really stretching to apply conservation themes to these attractions, but having worked in the conservation education department, I know that the Imagineers purposely added a whole bunch of conservation theming into the queues, rides, and scenery. For instance, there is a multi-part stone tableau near the end of Maharajah Jungle Trek that depicts people living in harmony with nature, but then they start to abuse nature with deforestation and poaching. This causes mother nature to intervene with natural disasters, prompting the people to once again live in harmony with nature.

Did you know that the multi-colored, animal-themed benches all around Discovery Island are all made out of 100% recycled plastic grocery bags? Or that the reason they don't give you a lid when you purchase a drink is so what they won't find their way into animal enclosures?

You are right that Animal Kingdom is a fun theme park. It is not a historical museum. But to say that it's not also a place to learn and be inspired to take action is wrong. Guests can play educational games at the KDCs, interact with cool conservation props and keepers in the Oasis, spend time at Conservation Station, donate to the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund and receive a cool pin, observe the enrichment sessions at the tigers and siamangs, observe veterinary surgeries, talk to the cultural interns in Africa or Asia, watch Harambe School, listen to the conservation messages during Flights of Wonder, view the many themed field researcher journals or listen to the conservation education staff along the nature trails (fruit bat presentation, gorillla talks, etc.)

True, they probably have many similar educational features at your local zoo. But I guarantee you they don't do it like Animal Kingdom does. DAK has some of the best veterinary, keeper, conservation, and animal management staff in the world. Even the KDCs are intricately themed by Imagineering, and include immersive games also developed by WDI.

I'm sorry that when you visit Animal Kingdom you ignore all of the seamless effort that Disney puts into the conservation theme.

You're right; you probably have zoos back home, but none of them match the quality of Disney in terms of fun, theming, and dedication to conservation. In my opinion, not even the San Diego Zoo does it so well. With DAK, Disney has made conservation education fun. Next time you visit, I urge you to take the time to learn something about the amazing wildlife and the things you can do to help. You might be surprised by how fun and fulfilling Disney makes it!
Semantics. So michael jordan sucks im not wrong my opinion = flawed logic. Your point of view all art is subjective monet mozart etc.... Anyway
__________________
June 2008 OKW
July 2008 SSR
June 2009 HHI
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #41
Mouse14
Wish I was at the Lodge
 
Mouse14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Brandon,Fl
Posts: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red24Red30

Although movies are usually created primarily for entertainment, many are designed to send a message as well. Watch Blood Diamond; it sends it's message about as subtly as Avatar does.
How does it send the same message? One is a Tru story about an African country and one is about a make believe land... ?? The ignorance on that is funny
__________________
Fort Wilderness countless times (1990-now)
Allstar resorts- couple times

Dates i can remember....
Annual pass holder in Feb 2010

Wilderness lodge- (Feb 4,5,6 2010)(Feb 4,5,6 2011)
Caribbean Beach - (Mar 2010)
Saratoga Springs- (July 2010)
Coronado- (Aug2010)
Offsite for Not so scary Halloween party (Oct 2010)
Allstar Movies for Very Merry Christmas party (Dec2010)

POP for Vey Merry (Dec 2011)
Aulani for honeymoon (Feb 4-11 2012)
Mouse14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #42
Corrine 1973
What do you mean I am not a princess, don't you see my crown!!!
 
Corrine 1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,946

I for one really enjoyed Avatar. I saw it twice in the theatres (once on 3D)and own it on BluRay. But than that is just my humble opion amoungst thosands of other opionions. I can't wait to see what some of the concepts are for DAK and than I will make my oppion about the expansion of that. I am also looking foward to the possible Carsland at DHS because my kids love Cars, but if it doesn't happen I will get on with my life. It's not a big deal. I also like the idea of a possible Star Wars themed area.

And I see the point of view about people leaving the movie with a negative idea about corperations. But when I left the theatre I wasn't thinkng negatively about all corperations, I was thinking negatively about corperations that put all else aside in persuit of the all mighty buck. The movie did not show a corpuration trying to better mankind, they were purely ready to destroy the land and civilization because something under the ground could make them alot of money.

This is all my humble opinion. Please respect mine, as I respect yours. We can have a diffrence of opinion with out attacking each other.
Corrine 1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #43
Red24Red30
Comets!
 
Red24Red30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse14 View Post
How does it send the same message? One is a Tru story about an African country and one is about a make believe land... ?? The ignorance on that is funny
I said Blood Diamond sends it's message about as subtly as Avatar does. I didn't say they send the same message. I was responding to the fact that you seemed to disagree that films can send messages, so I used Blood Diamond to show that a movie can send a deliberate message.

I suggest you read and understand comments thoroughly before calling a comment "ignorant".

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
Semantics. So michael jordan sucks im not wrong my opinion = flawed logic. Your point of view all art is subjective monet mozart etc.... Anyway
If you think that Michael Jordan sucks, he sucks (to you). Someone else might think he's great. That's their opinion, just as you have yours. Even if the vast majority think he's great, that doesn't make him inherently so. "Great" is an opinion, and everybody has a different interpretation, as well as different criteria, for what counts as "greatness".

What you are trying to do is equate opinion to fact.

Here is a fact:

Michael Jordan made 2,514 steals in his career in the NBA.

That is not a matter of opinion. It cannot be argued. However, nowhere in that sentence is it determined that he is "great". In order to associate the idea of "great" to that sentence, the reader has to apply his own personal judgement about it. In other words, he has to create an opinion.

And opinions are, by nature, subjective.

Recently, I just finished a historical text on WWII called "The Best War Ever", referring to a common belief of Americans at the time as well as now. Was it the best war ever? Can a war even be "great"?

The author makes the argument that in many ways, it wasn't great. He uses considerable historical evidence, interviews, and government and military documents, facts, and figures to back up his argument. But guess what? It's still his opinion, and it's one that some of his fellow historians disagree with, and some don't.

And as for art, such as films? That's often even more subjective.

I apologize if I misunderstood your post; I had a bit of difficulty with your grammar (I don't mean that as an insult, I'm just not quite sure if I addressed your comment correctly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrine 1973 View Post
I for one really enjoyed Avatar. I saw it twice in the theatres (once on 3D)and own it on BluRay. But than that is just my humble opion amoungst thosands of other opionions. I can't wait to see what some of the concepts are for DAK and than I will make my oppion about the expansion of that. I am also looking foward to the possible Carsland at DHS because my kids love Cars, but if it doesn't happen I will get on with my life. It's not a big deal. I also like the idea of a possible Star Wars themed area.

And I see the point of view about people leaving the movie with a negative idea about corperations. But when I left the theatre I wasn't thinkng negatively about all corperations, I was thinking negatively about corperations that put all else aside in persuit of the all mighty buck. The movie did not show a corpuration trying to better mankind, they were purely ready to destroy the land and civilization because something under the ground could make them alot of money.

This is all my humble opinion. Please respect mine, as I respect yours. We can have a diffrence of opinion with out attacking each other.
Well said. Thank you.

Last edited by Red24Red30; 12-10-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Red24Red30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #44
DaniH
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
So you never get to experience Cars Land unless you go to Cali, would you somehow feel cheated or upset if they instead built a fantastic Monsters, Inc. land at MGM that no one else has?

The key is imagination and quality and sequels, duplication and such just isn't good enough, IMO. They're making the big bucks, we the public should DEMAND they earn it.
For my family, yes, it would be a little disappointing. Cool, sure but not the same as Radiator Springs. My feeling is that WDW is the Flagship Park. Why not bring the attractions that are big hits in the other parks there? Even with that there are still plenty of unique attractions in the other parks.
DaniH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #45
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,482

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
Well said you ve just said every point that needs to be made
~Awww, thanks for the compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red24Red30 View Post
Since you asked...

Expedition Everest's story is about respecting nature. When people start taking the trains up the Forbidden Mountain, the sacred guardian becomes protective. The conservation theme is to respect nature from a safe distance.

Dinosaurs fit in with two conservation themes: first, they encourage us to learn more about earth's natural history, and second, the fact that they are extinct makes us look to our own responsiblity in preserving today's animals. While the dinosaurs faced an unstoppable apocalypse, we have the power to help the animals of today. One of the messages I used most often at the Dinoland Kid's Discovery Club station was to ask children "what can we do to help make sure animals don't become extinct?"

As for dragons, we all know the Beastly Kingdom was scrapped. However, if it was built, the conservation theme could easily be applied because mythical creatures were inspired by mankind's awe of animals. I could see myself asking kids "what animals do you think are most like dragons? Reptiles? Dinosaurs? Did you know you can see REAL dragons on the Maharajah Jungle Trek (Komodo dragons)?" Then the child goes and explores another land (Asia) where she learns about the Komodo dragon and perhaps is inspired to learn about the other fascinating creatures of the continent. Mythical beasts show just how important animals are to our diverse cultural heritage across the world, and are a great way to connect guests to the creatures of the world.

You may think that I'm really stretching to apply conservation themes to these attractions, but having worked in the conservation education department, I know that the Imagineers purposely added a whole bunch of conservation theming into the queues, rides, and scenery. For instance, there is a multi-part stone tableau near the end of Maharajah Jungle Trek that depicts people living in harmony with nature, but then they start to abuse nature with deforestation and poaching. This causes mother nature to intervene with natural disasters, prompting the people to once again live in harmony with nature.

Did you know that the multi-colored, animal-themed benches all around Discovery Island are all made out of 100% recycled plastic grocery bags? Or that the reason they don't give you a lid when you purchase a drink is so what they won't find their way into animal enclosures?

You are right that Animal Kingdom is a fun theme park. It is not a historical museum. But to say that it's not also a place to learn and be inspired to take action is wrong. Guests can play educational games at the KDCs, interact with cool conservation props and keepers in the Oasis, spend time at Conservation Station, donate to the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund and receive a cool pin, observe the enrichment sessions at the tigers and siamangs, observe veterinary surgeries, talk to the cultural interns in Africa or Asia, watch Harambe School, listen to the conservation messages during Flights of Wonder, view the many themed field researcher journals or listen to the conservation education staff along the nature trails (fruit bat presentation, gorillla talks, etc.)

True, they probably have many similar educational features at your local zoo. But I guarantee you they don't do it like Animal Kingdom does. DAK has some of the best veterinary, keeper, conservation, and animal management staff in the world. Even the KDCs are intricately themed by Imagineering, and include immersive games also developed by WDI.

I'm sorry that when you visit Animal Kingdom you ignore all of the seamless effort that Disney puts into the conservation theme.

You're right; you probably have zoos back home, but none of them match the quality of Disney in terms of fun, theming, and dedication to conservation. In my opinion, not even the San Diego Zoo does it so well. With DAK, Disney has made conservation education fun. Next time you visit, I urge you to take the time to learn something about the amazing wildlife and the things you can do to help. You might be surprised by how fun and fulfilling Disney makes it!
~Humans are by their very nature a paradox, so compartmentalizing this issue into a moral lesson in spirituality is rather naive. It's metaphors such as yours that turn some of the the worst of aspects of mankind into legends, lore and infamy that feeds into a twisted cult of personality. The Yeti is a myth, it is unacceptable by Western standards to promote this as some sacred homage to nature, its not.

~Expedition Everest is a roller coaster, not a conservation effort. Expedition Everest's theme is inspired by the folklore of the Yeti. The Yeti is an unfounded myth with no scientific basis. It's a story no different than Bigfoot. To consider this a conservation effort equates to Bigfoot as the sacred guardian of Fort Wilderness, where we must all respect the forest from a distance. It's one theory within a culture brought on by fear and lack of information. What was once thought to be the skull of a Yeti, was later determined to belong to a Yak! People believe in Santa Claus too, that doesn't make it a conservation effort.

~Disney partnered with Conservation International with intent to research the culture surrounding the Yeti. Conservation International has a horrible reputation, for accepting huge donations from greedy unscrupulous corporations that engage in the exploitation of natural resources for profit -- and that knowingly engage in wide practiced abuses that violates the rights and risks the safety of humans, animals, and the planet -- such as BP & Cargill, just to name a few. Robson Walton, Wal-Marts chairman, is also the Executive Committee Chairman for Conservation International. CI constantly remains under scrutiny for continual misuse of corporate donations.

~Throughout your post, you continue to define specific aspects of broader themes in an attempt to manipulate them to one of your approval, not necessarily to that of Disney's Animal Kingdom park. Its sort of like how a rogue employee abandons the corporate ideals and cultural identity of a corporation, solely to promote their own ideals and agendas to benefit their personal causes and beliefs.

~Disneys current physical efforts are focused on the conversation of animals and the environment. While the history of dinosaurs can be used as a metaphor in helping to prevent the extinction of todays endangered species -- it's not the best example -- it's not the only example -- but simply, one way of looking at a particular crisis. Dinosaurs existence in the parks are primarily for entertainment purposes, it's not the core theme of Animal Kingdom. The theme of Animal Kingdom has already been defined by Disney, you seem to have your own ideas of what you think it should be.

~Avatar's story contains mythical beasts, just like the Yeti & dragons, it will fit in perfectly at Animal Kingdom. The Avatar Navi are humanoid, like the Yeti.

~I already know about the plastic lids and paper straws, our local zoo had long adopted this practice, so I was very pleased to see Disney that adopted the same practice that all the other zoos had been exercising for quite some time . I didn't know the neat story behind the benches, that's super cool. Thanks for sharing. I am aware that Disney is engaged in some sort of green initiative in relation to using specific paper products from corporations who use recycled materials, in efforts to preserve forestland, but that's the extent of it. I certainly applaud Disney's efforts to reduce their carbon footprint.

~You seem to be under the impression that I am not aware of the various programs within Animal Kingdom aimed toward educating the public, I already know they exist. I'm not trying to be mean, but I would be bored out of my mind. This doesn't interest me at all, especially when my local zoos and universities do it better.

~This is why Avatar-land is very important to me. This is my vacation, we love watching the animals interact at AK. but that is where it ends for me. I want more rides, more attractions, and an awesome nighttime show at AK.

~I appreciate all of the valuable insight and perspective in your post. However, I don't think it's an appropriate argument that validates why Avatar is not a good fit for Animal Kingdom. If people want to engage in learning, the information is there, as it should be. I believe one can actively engage in both, as fun and learning are not mutually exclusive of each other. I think you have done an excellent job in explaining why certain aspects of the park are there, but what is missing is why the addition of Avatar doesn't fit.

~I don't find Avatar's theme to be anti-corporate. Avatar reflects our way of life, which is heavily centered on globalization and the exploitation of our earth's natural resources -- in addition to -- pollution, dumping, drilling, mining, etc. I don't think all of these practices are "evil," but many corporate practices are.

~In contrast, the Navi have a strong sense of nature and live in harmony with their planet. Collectively, they are vehemently against destructive practices such as drilling, mining, and the deforestation of their planet.

~If anything, we can be inspired by the Navi to take better care of our planet by adopting greener measures that will continue to reduce our carbon footprint and further enhance our preservation and conservation efforts.

~I totally agree that Disney's team members are some of the best in the world. I love Animal Kingdom, it's my second favorite park. But compared to an average zoo, the number of animal and species cared for is relatively small.

~My local zoo has twice the number of animals AK has, and by zoo standards that's considered small. AK only has 1700+ animals and 250 species, which is why I would never compare it to a zoo. The world's largest zoo has over 17,000 animals and represents close to 1000 different species.

~With that said, I love AK's theming and the overall feel of the park, which I find to be breathtakingly gorgeous. I love to see the animals, especially the Silverback.

~I'm sorry that you struggle to convey your message in a seamless cohesive fashion, without making rude assumptions. You undermine your argument when you become dogmatic in your approach to "enlighten," it comes across as immature & disingenuous -- like you will say anything for the sake of being "right."

~You seem to insinuate that because I don't experience the park or because I don't embody the park in the only sentiment that you identify with, somehow my park experience is diminished. It's a very "flawed logic," and quite frankly it's embarrassing.

~By your accounts, there is only one perspective that's valid. And if we don't value, only what you deem as acceptable, we're "ignoring" things. Different things - have different meanings - to different people and we all experience things differently.

~And, because I experience AK one way, does not mean that my park experience is any less than yours or vice versa. It takes an extremely narrow and short sighted perspective to suggest that we all must experience the parks and embrace the parks by your (single) perspective, otherwise "we're not learning" or "we don't care" about conservation. It is impossible for you to draw the conclusion, that just because I don't obsess over every painstaking detail and aspect that you do, that I don't care about conservation.

~Animal Kingdom is a theme park, not a sacred homage to conservation. I pay the entrance fee and I am free to enjoy the park to the fullest, as I see fit.

~In regards to zoos, that's right, it's just your opinion. There many institutes and organizations that do this far better, that are not for profit, with people who dedicate their life to researching, protecting and rescuing animals and the environment, causes that I support.

~Disney also acknowledges the efforts of these fine organizations and pledges huge amount financial support to several conservation and animal rescue efforts -- they are truly exceptional in what they do.

~I urge you to not look at this as some kind of competition. You seem to be consumed with what is "the best," I can tell you its not entirely Disney, lol. Disney is fairly new to this, animals and the environment have been around longer than fifteen years. There are several well established institutions, organizations, and universities that do this much better, have been at it much longer and some rely solely upon donations to continue their conservation efforts. Busch Gardens was the first to exercise the concept of creating an animal theme parks, long before the Magic Kingdom had a thought to set up in Florida. I appreciate Disney's efforts, but I don't worship them or corporations.

~In relation to AK -- dragons, yetis, and dinosaurs don't reflect any of the real conservation efforts currently exercised by Disney. They are there, in part, for entertainment purposes, to suggest otherwise is deceptive. It's like saying the T-REX cafe or the Jurassic Park Ride at Universal are conservation efforts that just happen to serve food or entertain. All you've done in this post is mold your argument in a form where your perspective can resonate as some kind of fact, it doesn't. The conservation efforts put forth by Disney are very clear. The educational value Disney presents in dinosaurs, yetis and dragons are purely for entertainment purposes, to think of this in any other way, suggests a refusal to acknowledge the sole purpose of a theme park.

~Avatar is one of the most successful films of all time. With the addition of Avatar, Disney is simply levering established paradigms against a more modernistic synergism, thus enabling a forward thinking lattice structured organization. The addition of Avatar-land should be a welcome one, that patterns into a more vertically integrated, organic & transparent entity, especially when embraced with fresh eyes.

~Simply put, Avatar-land will be fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
Semantics. So michael jordan sucks im not wrong my opinion = flawed logic. Your point of view all art is subjective monet mozart etc.... Anyway
~Very well said, I totally agree! I think you have impeccable grammar, and are remarkably savvy in expressing the finer aspects of brevity. Clearly, for some this is quite the challenge -- less is more.
__________________


Last edited by DRDISNEYMD; 12-11-2012 at 06:58 AM.
DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.