Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
parentsoffour
Earning My Ears

Universal Orlando's hidden gems

Hi all,

I've been to Universal Orlando several times and love the parks. However, there always seem to be things that I miss. (I still haven't seen "Lucy - A Tribute" or "Bettlejuice's Graveyard Review".) Beyond these, I wonder what else am I missing?

What are the "hidden gems" at Universal? For example, there was a store in Universal Studios close to T2 named (I think) "Studio Syles" that had several interesting displays of fake jewelry. Close to it was another store (I don't rememeber the name) with magician toys. I had walked by these many times before finally deciding to stop in. Although I spent only a few minutes in each store, I consider these to be "hidden gems".

Can anyone recommend what "hidden gems" I should visit on my next trip?

Thanks in advance!

Barney
parentsoffour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:05 AM   #2
lorax123
DIS Veteran

For us the hidden gem's are the hidden in plain view walk way through Suess landing, where Zax Bypass and Sneetch Beach are located, the path below Me Ship Olive in toon lagoon. Lots of fun details to look for and very quiet place to get away from the crowds.

Also, like shopping in the JP discovery center and checking out the stuff down below. ANother favorite place to look for details is Port of Entry at IOA. There's a whole afternoon of little details to check out! The Lost Adventures club, the kittens trying to eat the bird, the convicts prison cell they escaped from... If you never really spent any time in POE, grab a snack and check it out some afternoon, after the entering/exiting crowds die down.
lorax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
Todd&Copper
Sweet Chicken, that is one that ALWAYS gets my goat!

OP, you mentioned that magic shop - well, in 2006, my sister and I saw a little impromptu magic show in there. Of course, they were really trying to sell that product that teaches you how to make objects levitate above your hands, but still it was a cute show.
She saw the Beetlejuice review the year before and didn't want to go again - she said it was lame.
I LOVED the horror make-up show and I am so not a fan of that genre of movie. It was so hysterical!
Todd&Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
dyjama
Always trying to get back

These are great. I am copying them for our upcoming trip. my son will love these. keep them coming. What a great thread

baby son(10th bday trip /mom and son) Feb. 27-march 4, 2012

WILL BE AT MAGIC KINGDOM FOR LEAP DAY!!
dyjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
ksdave
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd&Copper View Post
I LOVED the horror make-up show and I am so not a fan of that genre of movie. It was so hysterical!
Definitely something not to be missed. I have a great video of the Horror Makeup Show that I watch at least 2-3 times per month. Still makes me laugh everytime .
Old 01-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Fred!
The exclamation point is silent!

After experiencing the Spider-Man ride, call this phone number (which, concidentally, is hidden amongst the ride):

407-224-1783
Fred! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
dyjama
Always trying to get back

I have no idea what that is about but boy oh boy will my son get a kick out of that Any more hidden gems?

baby son(10th bday trip /mom and son) Feb. 27-march 4, 2012

WILL BE AT MAGIC KINGDOM FOR LEAP DAY!!
dyjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyjama View Post
I have no idea what that is about but boy oh boy will my son get a kick out of that Any more hidden gems?
I enjoy listening to the magic fountain (Stoney I think is his name) over in The Lost Continent.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #9
Timmy Boy
Choose Thy Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyjama View Post
It's in the scene right after Hobgoblin hurls his fire ball at you. You then spin around to the left, and you see Spiderman and Doc Oc fighting in the city (it's the same scene that he points the Levitation Ray on you). As soon as you enter that scene, look up and to the left, and you'll see a movie theatre marque that says "Coup Theatre, For Lease" and the number is there. It's one of the best hidden gems in any attraction.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
BrownDalmatian
Yes we're going again, and no we're not sick of it... :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentsoffour View Post
Can anyone recommend what "hidden gems" I should visit on my next trip?

Thanks in advance!

Barney
I recommend you check out the following thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=909615, called "Universal/IoA Secrets." There are some really great posts in there!
BrownDalmatian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #11
Graeme
DIS Veteran

Another vote for the Horror Make-up Show. Went in once to get out of the rain, now it's a must-do.
Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
patster734
Proud Redhead>
Not the sad bluehead

On the walkway between Fear Factor and Men-in-Black, there's a photo spot that makes it look like the space shuttle is sitting on top of the Back To The Future/Simpsons ride.
patster734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #13
parentsoffour
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by patster734 View Post
On the walkway between Fear Factor and Men-in-Black, there's a photo spot that makes it look like the space shuttle is sitting on top of the Back To The Future/Simpsons ride.
Oh yeah! I forgot about that one. My family found that really cool!

I also like the bug (or something) in the line of the Revenge of the Mummy that zaps it with a blast of air when you touch it.
parentsoffour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #14
SnowWtch
DIS Veteran

In front of MIB there are misters. The one shaped like a cola bottle is the best. Just step inside it and you get misted all over. It's great on a hot day. BTW, the make-up show is fun and they usually have an exhibit of movie memorabilia in their waiting area.
March 2009-La Quinta, June 6-7, 2009-POP, Oct 3-4, 2009-AKL, Dec 3-5, 2009-AKL, Dec 18-21, 2009-POR, May 28-30, 2010-La Quinta, Dec 2-5, 2010-POP, 2011-La Quinta, March 25-27, 2011, Hampton Inn, May 27-29, 2011, Sept 30-Oct 2, 2011-La Quinta, May 29-June 1, 2012-Renaissance Orlando Sea World, June 1-2, 2012- La Quinta, March 15-17, 2013 La Quinta
SnowWtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #15
AmandaSparks730
All shall know the wonder of purple summerHow do you document real life, when real life is getting more like fiction each day?Glitter-Sparkle Powah!

Why has no one mentioned this:

Go on some of the rides at IoA at NIGHT! We went on Dr. Doom and all three water rides at night.

On Doom, if you get a park-facing view...oh my God, it's so beautiful. Everything is light up, and you can see clear to MIB at the other park!

Do the water rides last. Wear bathing suits under your clothes. Then, when you get back to the hotel, just peel off the yucky clothes. Simple. Water rides are gorgeous at night!

(Also, I've heard JAWS is good at night as well)
AmandaSparks730 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: