DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
Disneymooner07
Mouseketeer

More points at OKW or fewer points at BCV?

This is quite the quandary to me - do you spend just a little more and buy 100 points at OKW instead of 50 points at BCV?

I think overall we'd rather stay at BCV, but a lot of the time we'll be trying out other resorts anyways, so I'm thinking why not have more points that we can use? I know the common wisdom is to "buy where you want to stay," but we live in California and buying VGC is out of the question because it's just too expensive at $100 a point. (Plus, it sounds like there is usually availability even for VGC at 7 months out if you call/book first thing that morning.)

What would you do??
Disneymooner07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
MEK
DIS Veteran

I would do more points. My first contract was 200 at SSR and then I added 100 at VWL. I have been able to stay where I wanted each trip, either by calling at 7 months or by waitlisting.

Plus - OKW is very nice and it is low points to stay there, so if you need to stretch you points not only are your getting more, but you are paying less to stay there.

If you are ONLY going to stay at BCV, then buy there. But if you are excited to stay other places with the occasional BCV stay, buy more points.

That's my opinion. Others will differ. But the buy where you want to stay strategy is not something I strictly adhere to because I want to stay at all the resorts!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
crisi
DIS Veteran

Sounds like the budget is tight - so, whats the difference in dues and can you really truly swing this? Because the dues are what is going to get you over the long term.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Disneymooner07
Mouseketeer

Dues aren't a problem either way - we would spend far more than the dues for 100 (or even 200 or 300) points a year on the hotels. I just can't justify the cost of $100 a point at VGC when I hear that people are getting ressies there at the 7 month window. It's admittedly somewhat arbitrary, but I just can't bring myself to do it or convince DH that it's worth it!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

It all depends on you doesn't it?

Where are you going to spend most of your vacations, DL or WDW?

Which resort do you like the best?

Paying all of this money, would you be upset if you can't stay where you want, when you want?

What size room do you want?

When do you vacation?

How long have you been vacationing at Disney? For many, the longer that you have been going, equals less time will be spent in the parks so the favorite resort is more important.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
friends with mickey
DIS Veteran

Have you considered SSR instead of OKW. We own at and enjoy both. SSR has a longer contract time until 2054 vs. 2042 (unless you are buying an OKW extended contract-2057 which will cost more than a 2042 OKW contract) and lower yearly dues. SSR is considered the best value for people that will be utilizing the 7 month window and want to vary the resorts they stay when they visit. Just a thought for you to consider. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
Disneymooner07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
It all depends on you doesn't it?

Where are you going to spend most of your vacations, DL or WDW?

Which resort do you like the best?

Paying all of this money, would you be upset if you can't stay where you want, when you want?

What size room do you want?

When do you vacation?

How long have you been vacationing at Disney? For many, the longer that you have been going, equals less time will be spent in the parks so the favorite resort is more important.

Bill
I know, I know, it's just so hard! We'll probably split pretty evenly between WDW and DL. My favorite resort will be Grand Floridian because we honeymooned there, but there's not way I'm shelling out $140+ a point for those! I think we'd prefer to be closer to the parks like with BCV, BWV and BLT, but I also like to have more space because we will likely be traveling with my mother or mother-in-law most trips. Of course, given all the money in the world, I would just buy a whole bunch of points at the GF when they come out, but since that's not the case, something's gotta give We don't want to spend too much since this is an initial purchase and we may outgrow Disney trips (or we may just do an add-on later , so something's gotta give for now. Ack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by friends with mickey View Post
Have you considered SSR instead of OKW. We own at and enjoy both. SSR has a longer contract time until 2054 vs. 2042 (unless you are buying an OKW extended contract-2057 which will cost more than a 2042 OKW contract) and lower yearly dues. SSR is considered the best value for people that will be utilizing the 7 month window and want to vary the resorts they stay when they visit. Just a thought for you to consider. Good luck with your decision.
I have definitely considered SSR, but for some reason the theming there just doesn't resonate with me at all. I figure if we can only get our home resort, OKW would be okay with me, but I really wouldn't want to stay at SSR. I don't know, maybe because I grew up on the East Coast so that look just doesn't say "Vacation!" to me?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
DizBub
Totally Addicted

We own at BLT and BCV for the locations. Had we known just how much we enjoyed SSR and OKW we would have saved a lot of money and bought both instead. We are going next month for 9 nights. 2 nights at OKW, 2 nights at BLT and 5 nights at SSR. We can't make up our minds either.

I would go for more points too, if money is no object.

Best of luck with your decision!
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymooner07 View Post
This is quite the quandary to me - do you spend just a little more and buy 100 points at OKW instead of 50 points at BCV?

I think overall we'd rather stay at BCV, but a lot of the time we'll be trying out other resorts anyways, so I'm thinking why not have more points that we can use? I know the common wisdom is to "buy where you want to stay," but we live in California and buying VGC is out of the question because it's just too expensive at $100 a point. (Plus, it sounds like there is usually availability even for VGC at 7 months out if you call/book first thing that morning.)

What would you do??
IMO, the only time when "buy where you want to stay" makes sense is when you will stay there most of the time or you need a difficult to get item like a 3 BR. I think the far better choice is to buy the cheapest you're happy staying at most of the time. IMO that's almost always SSR when you account for the RTU and are comfortable with that option. However, I doubt you'll have a lot of options long term at VGC so if that's really what you want most of the time, I'd pay the extra and buy there. If that's not in the budget I'd simply wait until it is and work toward that goal.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
Disneymooner07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
IMO, the only time when "buy where you want to stay" makes sense is when you will stay there most of the time or you need a difficult to get item like a 3 BR. I think the far better choice is to buy the cheapest you're happy staying at most of the time. IMO that's almost always SSR when you account for the RTU and are comfortable with that option. However, I doubt you'll have a lot of options long term at VGC so if that's really what you want most of the time, I'd pay the extra and buy there. If that's not in the budget I'd simply wait until it is and work toward that goal.
Sorry for asking, but what is RTU?

And why aren't there many options long term at VGC? Do you see the situation at VGC changing? Just curious if there's something at VGC I don't know or understand!

I don't know if VGC is really where we want to be *most* of the time - I'm first and foremost a WDW fan, but since we moved to California last year, we have been to DL a couple times since the girls are young and it's easy to drive down. It's also less expensive than flying cross-country So I imagine we'll go to DL a decent amount, but my first love will always be WDW
Old 12-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #11
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sorry for asking, but what is RTU?

And why aren't there many options long term at VGC? Do you see the situation at VGC changing? Just curious if there's something at VGC I don't know or understand!

I don't know if VGC is really where we want to be *most* of the time - I'm first and foremost a WDW fan, but since we moved to California last year, we have been to DL a couple times since the girls are young and it's easy to drive down. It's also less expensive than flying cross-country So I imagine we'll go to DL a decent amount, but my first love will always be WDW
RTU is Right To Use as compared to fee simple. The land is leased and the land and all improvements revert back to Disney at the expiration of the RTU.

I don't think I was clear on the VGC. I simply don't see that there will be much availability long term at the 7 month window. Therefore I don't see buying elsewhere and staying there routinely as a viable option. That's not to say it won't work for some but I doubt it will for most and it certainly won't work well enough to justify the aggravation and risk if that's the routine plan.

For your situation and assuming you plan to stay out west, I'd buy out there (CA or HI) or not at all. You can always get WDW somewhere at the 7 month window. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
crisi
DIS Veteran

I agree with Dean. What we may see happen is that as some people don't have luck with VGC, they'll buy a small contract to use before the seven month window. Availability may tighten over the length of the contract making it harder to get into than it is now....not impossible, but it isn't always possible now.

We've seen this with other resorts, although at WDW it's neither year round nor is is necessarily all rooms at a resort (it's things like standard view or other special categories). But vgc is so small and its the only DVC at Disneyland.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
I know the common wisdom is to "buy where you want to stay,"
I have a slightly different version, and others have already suggested it: "Don't buy where you would not be happy to stay."
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
nalajms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I would look for both listings and see which one pops up, make offers until you get one at the right total price. I rarely see 50pt BCV contracts.

Good luck!
nalajms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
johde
DIS Veteran

I know this wasn't in you original list of options but I would consider splitting the difference and get 75 or so at BWV. I own at OKW and at times I wish I owned at BWV or AKV. It's not that I don't like OKW but STD view at BWV has a point structure similar to OKW and a location similar to BCV. OKW is also a large resort and fairly easier to book even on short notice.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 OKW/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: