DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

Which resorts/categories have you had the least luck getting at 7 months?

We are planning a trip for July and was wondering what resorts/categories I would probably have the most trouble booking.

We have always had good luck getting rooms at the 7 month window. The only time we had trouble was when I tried to add a second room a week before a Food & Wine visit. At that time, there were only sporadic days available -- nothing consecutive.
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Availability odds are most affected by the number of units available and their popularity.

Smaller resorts are harder to book. Room categories with a small number of units are harder to get.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Disneypapa
OKW owner since 2002

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

My experience has been, that you can get something at Saratoga Springs just about any time. Animal Kingdom and Old Key West are large resorts with pretty good chances also.

Size of accommodation and room category will have a lot to do with availability too.
Disneypapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

THV! No luck in summer at all, too few of them! Now my boys are 16, 6'4, bunk beds no longer an option!

(For Jun-Aug) BWV, Standard & Boardwalk View no issues at 7 month, AKV no issues. I even got the BCV & WLV once at 7 months just to try them without problem!

But I generally stay 4 or 5 days and only book 2 bd's, maybe that's why!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

BLT always booked at 7 months at certain times. If you need an accessible room like me then its even harder to name a resort at 7 months.
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I've never not got what I wanted at 7 months. I own at BWV and have been able to get a studio or 1 bedroom at all of the WDW resorts except SSR (never tried there), plus VGC.

The only times I did not get what I wanted was when I called 3 weeks before for mid October 1 night, nothing was available in any room size and didn't get a studio at VGC for an extra night in September, got on the waitlist about 3 months out.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
drusba

DIS Veteran

Start with the usual suspects at 7 months out: AKV concierge is almost never available, BLT standard is a close second to that as most often not available (and that remains true despite that more standard rooms were added effective Jan 2013), AKV value is next but does have its times when there is room such as in September, first half of Feb, and some other times. Next on the often not available list is BWV standard and boardwalk views, but you can find those at a number of times between mid-January and end of Sep. Also very difficult most times of year are BWV GVs; OKW GVs for some reason seem to be gone a lot in summer but open Jan through May. BCV is actually often open between mid-Jan and October but can be gone at times during then and is usually gone the rest of the year. Exceptions to any of the above are sometimes 1BRs which are usually the last to fill.

Other than the above, everything is usually open mid-Jan to just before end of Sep and that includes the holidays during that time, MLK, Presidents week, Easter time, Memorial Day and July 4, and includes GVs at AKV and BLT. Mid-Aug to just before end of Sep (including time around Labor Day) seems to be DVC's slowest time of the year where you can even get lucky at times and find AKV value and BLT standard.

SSR is always open all year long. Moreover, statement above about difficulty of treehouses is no longer true. DVD did a point shift that raised the points needed for treehouses significantly for every night of the year beginning with reservations starting January 2013 with the result that the treehouses have thus far been wide open in 2013 at 7 months out through early July 2013 (the current 7 month window) and I suspect that pattern will continue.

That brings us to the quarter of death, last few days of Sep through the Monday after Marathon weekend in Jan, the time of high competition and where being on-line to make a reservation at exactly 8 a.m. eastern 7 months out can often mean the difference between getting a reservation you want and not. You have several factors at work then: (a) the lowest and second lowest point cost seasons during that time except for Christmas week and a few days around Thanksgiving; (b) food and wine festival late Sep to almost mid-Nov, and Mickey's Halloween party late Sep through Oct; (c) ideal weather for much of the time until Dec during which it can still be fairly pleasant; (d) Christmas decorations beginning before Thanksgiving; (e) often low air fares in first half of Dec; (f) a lot of DVC members who are now beyond the kids-in-school stage.

The result is that getting any of the close to park resorts, BWV, BCV, BLT, and VWL becomes quite difficult. There are respites during that quarter where those are available, the third week of Dec and about Nov 15 to Tues before Thanksgiving. Nevertheless, you can still usually get AKV and OKW during October, November, and early January except for usual suspects noted above. Also, you can sometimes get lucky and get BWV pool/garden view and BLT lake view particularly if looking for only three or four nights in a row.

Nevertheless, within the quarter of death, there is: (a) the first week of Dec, the highest demand week of the year, when at 7 months even OKW and AKV savanna and standard view are difficult (the last AKV savanna view 2BR disappeared at 8:05 a.m. when the 7 month window opened) and it was the only week of the year where SSR GVs were gone multiple days; (b) Christmas week, the second highest demand week of the year, but you could still get OKW studios through 2BRs and AKV standard and savanna view for the entire week; (c) second week of December, the third highest demand week, which was close to same as Christmas week but if you acted quickly once the 7 month window opened on-line, you could get BLT lake view or BWV pool/garden.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I've never not got what I wanted at 7 months. I own at BWV and have been able to get a studio or 1 bedroom at all of the WDW resorts except SSR (never tried there), plus VGC.

The only times I did not get what I wanted was when I called 3 weeks before for mid October 1 night, nothing was available in any room size and didn't get a studio at VGC for an extra night in September, got on the waitlist about 3 months out.

I agree with this.
I have SSR points and have gone for Christmas/ Spring Break/ Memor day/ Labor day.

I have always gotten BC at 7 (or 11) month window. Calling right on the day or the day before with a cancelling the 1st night later. * (adding something on later less than 7/11 month window I have not gotten what I wanted before.) I also tryied BLT, AKV, and BWV all my 1st choice.. (but didn't love them)

I LOVE BC, but I would have a hard time not buying more SSR points when I decide I need more due to this very reason.. It would be awesome to get 11 month out BC; however when a bit of planning and a back up plan always result in what I want.. I probably would not pay the premuim.

*I have transferred in BC points as well as SSR points, so 75% of the time they are SSR at 7 month window and 25% of the time it is BC at the 11 month window.

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

I was just able to book BCV today for 8 days for the first week of June - that's 6 months out? I was surprised.

Maybe having SSR for my add-on is not that bad.. Hmmmm.
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

myxdvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxdvz View Post
I was just able to book BCV today for 8 days for the first week of June - that's 6 months out? I was surprised.

Maybe having SSR for my add-on is not that bad.. Hmmmm.
And how would you feel if BCV wasn't available?

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

I've had trouble with BLT standard view, we gave up our BWV standard view but had to take lake view - so someone lucked out! BCV, I've really only had trouble with the 2 bedroom with 2 queens. Otherwise, we haven't had any issues at 7 months out but we usually stay at our BWV home.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Studio Saturday thru Thursday Stays

Finding our home resorts long gone (BW & WL) we've been shut out 4 - 5 months out for SSR and OKW for various summer and early October dates. Couldn't even work out a split stay unless we'd be willing to move twice.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

AKL Concerige.. Never been at option at any point. I think it's an 11 month or else.

Sometimes the Epcot resorts are VERY difficult during Food and Wine and Christmas season. You can often cobble something togthere but you have to watch it and work it! The home advantage is the only reason BCV points were not sold when I "downsized" my point holding. I want a week in a 1 bedroom at an Epcot resort during Food & Wine. I don't want to have to worry about it.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

This thread is very interesting to me. I never would have thought that September through November would be busy at all. In fact, I would have guessed that they would be the least busiest aside from Jersey Wee. I say this because most of the country returns to school in Late August, and I figure most parents wouldn't want to pull their kids out of school so soon after returning. My parents used to do it, and I remember Disney being nearly empty in October. I guess things have changed.

Are the studios, 1BR's, 2BR's or GV's hardest to get? I kind of thought that that the studios would be hardest even though they are the most plentiful since I figure most people are cheapos like me. I want the most nights, even if I have to give up some of the cool things you get with a 1BR.
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #15
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

I've never been able to get BCV.

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: