Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Disneyland Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #16
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyL View Post
Anyone else? I now live in Texas, so am pretty much equidistant to both parks. My parents and sister live in Arizona, so we tend to do a side trip to Disney when we go out to visit them.

I was born and raised in San Francisco, so I am used to the original Disneyland, as we went there 1-2 times each year growing up.

Even though I visited Disneyworld twice, for very short stays (went to the Magic Kingdom once, and the Animal Kingdom once), the idea of going there with the family on vacation just scares me. It just seems so daunting. I much prefer the convenience of having the 2 parks and DTD there in one place rather than spread all over the place like it is in Florida.

I also looked up the different attractions at Disneyworld, and it just seems like the ones in California are so much better. I remember feeling let down the POC at Disneyworld- the original is so much better.

Oh, and the weather in Florida is so swampy. I much prefer the Southern California weather, especially in Fall and Winter.

Anyone else feel this way?
Having the opposite problem. Go to WDW every year. Love it but want to see DL. Booked airfare on 11/19 when SW released for my dates. Realized have enough points to fly to Orange County. Still booked MCO. Why?? Afraid to try something new? I get what you are saying. WDW is awesome. So much to see. You will not be disappointment--at least I can't imagine you will.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #17
runmommyrun
Mouseketeer

The thought of DL scares me! We are making our first trip there early summer and I feel so ill-prepared, despite reading a book and all the many posts on here. (Plus we've been to WDW many times, so it isn't like we've never tackled a Disney park!).

We love WDW. But from what I understand, it is dramatically different than DL in scope and size. The best WDW trips we've had focus on a particular park for a day and not trying to rush from one end of WDW to the other. I personally am not a fan of the buses. WAY too long on certain routes. And park hopping is something that we've yet to do and not sure we ever will. Don't see how it is overly useful in WDW. Seems more stressful and daunting to me than anything. We have the luxury of not feeling we have to squeeze in everything on any one trip, so it is different if you are doing a one and done trip to WDW.

But the anxiousness you feel re WDW is kind of how I feel re DL. It's the unknown! But I'm still excited to give it a try very soon!
Bay Lake Tower/AoA, MNSSHP & Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2013); Aulani and Villas at Grand Californian (June 2013); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2012); Beach Club Villas/Dream Cruise/Bay Lake Tower (June 2012); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2011); Bay Lake Tower (June 2011); Vero Beach (March 2011); Saratoga Springs (Jan. 2011); Wilderness Lodge Villas & Bay Lake Tower (Aug. 2010); Vero Beach (March 2010); Wilderness Lodge (June 2009); Off-site (1998, 1997 & 1986)
runDisney
2011 Disney Marathon & Kid Races; 2011 Wine & Dine Half Marathon; Castaway Cay 5K June 2012
DVC Member since March 2010
runmommyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #18
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyL View Post
Anyone else? I now live in Texas, so am pretty much equidistant to both parks. My parents and sister live in Arizona, so we tend to do a side trip to Disney when we go out to visit them.

I was born and raised in San Francisco, so I am used to the original Disneyland, as we went there 1-2 times each year growing up.

Even though I visited Disneyworld twice, for very short stays (went to the Magic Kingdom once, and the Animal Kingdom once), the idea of going there with the family on vacation just scares me. It just seems so daunting. I much prefer the convenience of having the 2 parks and DTD there in one place rather than spread all over the place like it is in Florida.

I also looked up the different attractions at Disneyworld, and it just seems like the ones in California are so much better. I remember feeling let down the POC at Disneyworld- the original is so much better.

Oh, and the weather in Florida is so swampy. I much prefer the Southern California weather, especially in Fall and Winter.

Anyone else feel this way?
Avoid summer months at WDW and the weather can be quite nice.

The idea of comparing attractions between WDW and DLR betrays a DLR mindset - which is understandable - but counter-productive.

DLR vets have a park focus - with a high focus on rides. WDW vets have a resort focus - with a high focus on hotels and dining. It is common for DLR vets going to WDW to think of it is as a much bigger DLR with some different rides. Alternatively, it is common for WDW vets to think of DLR as a smaller resort with less resort oriented amenities.

The facts are that DLR has more rides at its two parks than WDW four parks put together. So regarding rides, DLR comes out ahead numerically and, I would argue, in terms of quality. DLR also comes out ahead in shows.

But WDW has tons of themed dining, water parks, and lots of activities outside the parks. It is hard for a DLR vet to get their head around this because they are so park centric in their thinking. They just can't see value in all the hotels and dining and activities.

Examples are the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue, Polynesion Review, Disney movie nights under the stars at Fort Wilderness or the Beach Club, fireworks cruises, DisneyQuest, the water parks, water sports (boats and wave riders and water skiing), golf, horseback riding, etc. Plus the ESPN complex. Cirque de Soleil.

Bottom line is if you are a DLR vet do not try to treat WDW like you do DLR. Same goes for WDW vets in reverse. Be ready to embrace a different Disney experience and take advantage of the unique things offered at the opposite resort. In the end it is all Disney and it is all magical. But it is not the same.

My two cents.

DLR 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #19
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

I agree that Disney World is definitely worth doing if you love Disney. It's amazing to see what can be done with more space and time in Florida. But yes, it's a much bigger trip, especially with kids. To me, Disneyland is a few days in a California vacation where we usually also do other things or see family. WDW is a whole vacation on its own.

I agree with a PP who said to wait until your kids are older if you see it as a "once in a lifetime trip." We waited until our youngest was 6 and had a great time. Stamina and understanding help a lot with that big of an undertaking.

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #20
HollyL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdaisy View Post
I live in Texas too, and WDW has been our "home park." My husband went to DL for a day as a small child so he doesn't remember much. We, like everyone else who wants to see Carsland, are skipping WDW this year and going to DL. I think I am the only one that is sad about that! I am looking forward to the weather in California since we always go in June. But, I am bummed that we had planned to rent DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge - just push that to 2014!

We have never had any issues with the bus system at WDW! Yes, it does take planning and a little while to get from point A to point B. We were at Old Key West last year, and the bus stop was right outside of our building. I think we were furthest away from Magic Kingdom. But still only about a 10 minute ride. And they drop you off right there at each park. You can also use the buses, ferry, and monorail to get to the different resorts to eat or shop. There is so much to do and see there. We absolutely love it, and I will mourn seeing the Epcot ball and Mount Everest and so many more things. Go and have fun. I know that my trip to DL will be familiar yet different!
You will have so much fun at the Disneyland resort. Instead of seeing Mount Everest, you will see the Matterhorn! Carsland is also really neat. We were just there last week. Just do your research and do what you need to do to get a fastpass because that standby line looked painful! DLR also has the Indiana Jones ride which is amazing.

I think I will be much more excited and ready to try WDW again in maybe 5 years when our youngest will be 7.

Have a great trip!
HollyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #21
HollyL
Mouseketeer

I guess if you are used to Florida, the thought of California is scary and vice versa. Kind of the same reason I am afraid of trying another cruiseline other than the one that I always choose. You just get comfortable with the one you are loyal to, and it's a lot of work to get to know something new, and work isn't something you really look forward to on a "vacation".

When I was younger and didn't have kids, nothing scared me at all. I mean, I have visited some pretty intimidating places, but having a young family in tow changes everything.

I think that if you are used to WDW and how spread out everything is, DLR might be an interesting, more convenient change, especially seeing how easy park hopping is. Literally just across from each other. I couldn't imagine just getting the "one park, one day" tickets because I like bouncing back and forth, especially since my 4 year old has favorite rides in each park and insists that he wants to ride them "NOW!". Hopefully as he gets older he will get sick of the Submarine ride, because I am so sick of that one!
HollyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #22
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Awww OP, don't be scared of WDW, if you plan your trip right it won't be bad, it just takes a lot more planning out, that is why we have the DIS to help us . However, I get your apprehension because we too are like you, but the difference is that we are WDW vets (have gone countless number of times) and will be going to DLR for the first time in June. To tell you the truth, I was a little scared about planning out this trip. I know DLR is much smaller in comparison, but we know WDW like the back of our hands, we feel very comfortable there...it is our "home away from home". Now thinking about our DLR trip, I am a bit nervous because we are "Newbies" there. The only thing I have set in stone is our resort (staying at VGC) and have jot down a tentative dining plan (even though we have 4 months before I can even get reservations for them). Other than that, my girls and I have been constantly YouTubing the different rides at both DL and DCA (they all look awesome and can't wait to ride ) and have been scanning the different threads on the Disneyland board which I have been getting really valuable information too. For me it is the unknown, but I know once we get there my fears will melt away and I will have a blast .

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #23
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
DLR vets have a park focus - with a high focus on rides. WDW vets have a resort focus - with a high focus on hotels and dining. It is common for DLR vets going to WDW to think of it is as a much bigger DLR with some different rides. Alternatively, it is common for WDW vets to think of DLR as a smaller resort with less resort oriented amenities.
Wow, you are so right about this, however, I can only speak on behalf of my family and the WDW vets part of your statement. When we plan out our WDW vacations, DH and I get more excited about where we are staying and what restaurants we eat at then which rides we are riding first. Even with the New Fantasyland opening up, you can bet that I was more excited about the Be our Guest Restaurant then I was about the new Ariel ride. Don't get me wrong, we love the parks but we are at the age where our vacations are more about the resorts and what they offer whereas the parks are just an added bonus...now if you ask my kids, they will tell you it's other way around .

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #24
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

Don't let WDW scare you. It's doable and I love Epcot and the Animal Kingdom park.

I am the opposite. I will be doing my first trip to Disneyland in about 5 months and am afraid of the long flight, and that I won't love it as much as WDW. I've also heard that the CMs can be a little ruder, and sometimes it's not as "magical".. Whatever that means, lol.

I'm a Disney nerd though so I want to try it at least once. Plus, DL has Mr Toad!!
Old 12-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #25
moose615
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyL
I guess if you are used to Florida, the thought of California is scary and vice versa. Kind of the same reason I am afraid of trying another cruiseline other than the one that I always choose. You just get comfortable with the one you are loyal to, and it's a lot of work to get to know something new, and work isn't something you really look forward to on a "vacation".

When I was younger and didn't have kids, nothing scared me at all. I mean, I have visited some pretty intimidating places, but having a young family in tow changes everything.

I think that if you are used to WDW and how spread out everything is, DLR might be an interesting, more convenient change, especially seeing how easy park hopping is. Literally just across from each other. I couldn't imagine just getting the "one park, one day" tickets because I like bouncing back and forth, especially since my 4 year old has favorite rides in each park and insists that he wants to ride them "NOW!". Hopefully as he gets older he will get sick of the Submarine ride, because I am so sick of that one!
It can be scary either way, as a WDW dad I am taking my DD5 to DL for our very first DL trip in Oct, it's alittle intimidating but I love the idea that everything's right there, so when we get off the airport bus we are there for 5 days and don't have to get on another bus, I've been reading the boards and books for DL tips, but also have a trip to WDW in march and don't mind taking the bus and monorail to places, but I love Disney and am excited about both WDW and DL trips
Old 12-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #26
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Wow, I came on here to head over the WDW side and browse a little because I'm getting panicky about a trip in to WDW in a year and half! I was checking the DLR boards first and found this thread. I'm not scared, I'm imitimated. I can't wait to see and try new things at WDW but we've never been.

I still can't decide where to stay and I dread all the buses. I was just listening to the podcast discussing transprotation at WDW and they said to allow an hour and a half to get to your dining reservation! I am really having trouble figuring out how to plan this! Where to eat, when to eat, park hop or not... From what I read, you have to know all this 6 months before you go! I don't even know where to start. The only thing I do know is we must go during summer, unfortunately. DH and I are both teachers and just can't take that much time off during the school year. We will plan for mid June and spend 10 days. Any tips for a DLR vet on how to start would wonderful. I'm thinking I'll be contacting Dreams Unlimited.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #27
Chass
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthemouse71
Don't let WDW scare you. It's doable and I love Epcot and the Animal Kingdom park.

I am the opposite. I will be doing my first trip to Disneyland in about 5 months and am afraid of the long flight, and that I won't love it as much as WDW. I've also heard that the CMs can be a little ruder, and sometimes it's not as "magical".. Whatever that means, lol.

I'm a Disney nerd though so I want to try it at least once. Plus, DL has Mr Toad!!
Hello I just got back from WDW and hated it I still think that DL is better as for the cast members being rude they are great compared to the WDW CM and the security is very rude and the animal kingdom was a waste of time anyway I know you will have a great time in DL.
Chass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #28
Chass
Earning My Ears

WDW sucks compared to DL
Chass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:36 AM   #29
clownfish1976
Arizona Reef keeper!

i think if you LOVE Disneyland its ALMOST impossible to not love WDW once you give it an honest try. I was a DL veteran, been there countless times, used to work there even, and had never been to WDW. I even had negative thoughts about WDW before i went, like "our Disneyland is the TRUE park, its the one WALT walked through and cared about" blah blah blah, THEN i went to WDW. its Disneyland on Steroids and i meant it in a goodway. if Disneyland is a weekend getaway, WDW is a full blown 10 night Vacation. Its a WONDERFUL experience, it does take more planning, but that was the fun part, getting to plan my vacation months before even going. EPCOT is NOT outdated, its one of the most popular parks in the world, they do a GREAT job of keeping it up to to date. I truly wanted to be like " Disneyland is SOOO much better" once i got there, but it was not to be, WDW won me over, its a GREAT place and im DYING to get back, even considering moving there ! its THAT good. Yes the weather is no fun for about 4 months of the year, the rest of the year is not so bad from what i hear, and like anywhere, you learn to adapt. Besides the 4 main parks and 2 water parks, the Resorts at WDW are AMAZING, each of them is a destination really, they have some of the best restaurants at the hotels and the scenery and architecture at the hotels is just as good as at the parks, at least at the Moderate and Deluxe resorts. As a DL Lover, i say GO for it, you will NOT be disappointed if you keep a positive attitude and are a TRUE Disney Parks lover, its JUST as good if not better than DL !!!
clownfish1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #30
HoneyPooh72
Earning My Ears

We have been to WDW several times, going to DLR for the first time in October of this year. Our last trip to WDW was the end of June 2012. We were there for 10 days and stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. We have, in the past, stayed at most of the moderate resorts. IMO, I would stay in one of the deluxe (if $ is not an issue). I think that transporation is easier at the deluxe resorts. For example at the WL, we could take a bus or we would take a boat to MK. We could also take a boat to get to the monorail resorts and use those as well.
HoneyPooh72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: