Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #136
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=cornflake;46855621]Well, she can't be called anything of Wales, as his father is the Prince of Wales, not him, unless there's been some Princely tragedy I missed today.

QUOTE]

That's incorrect. Both Prince William and Harry are Prince William of Wales and Prince Harry of Wales. I do believe Kate could be called Princess William of Wales.

You're American. Why do you care so much?
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #137
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
Well, she can't be called anything of Wales, as his father is the Prince of Wales, not him, unless there's been some Princely tragedy I missed today.
You should probably inform the Royal family that only Charles can be "of Wales".

Quote:
Prince Harry's official title is His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales - he is the youngest son of The Prince of Wales and Diana, Princess of Wales.
http://www.princehenryofwales.org/pr...s-and-heraldry

Quote:
On the occasion of his marriage, The Queen conferred a Dukedom on Prince William of Wales.
http://www.dukeandduchessofcambridge...eraldry/titles

Thus, Catherine could be called Princess William of Wales (in a similar manner to Princess Michael of Kent).
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #138
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

I still want to know what you have to accomplish, or aspire to, to cross the line that says you have to take your husband's last name.

And who decides when you reach that goal.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #139
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie View Post
Quote:
Well, she can't be called anything of Wales, as his father is the Prince of Wales, not him, unless there's been some Princely tragedy I missed today.
That's incorrect. Both Prince William and Harry are Prince William of Wales and Prince Harry of Wales. I do believe Kate could be called Princess William of Wales.

You're American. Why do you care so much?
I think American's care when it is fun, but CornFlake is a little er, aggressive about it.
I wish them all the best!!!!
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #140
Lintasare
Holy
Hello. My name is Inigo Peeptoya...you ate my father...prepare to die
Ok fess up...who killed the riddle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
I still want to know what you have to accomplish, or aspire to, to cross the line that says you have to take your husband's last name.

Obviously someone from "The City" decides.

Lintasare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #141
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I agree his titles confer to her, doesn't mean she couldn't have her own last name. I don't think thinking the Spencer marriage was 'arranged' was much of a conspiracy theory at this point - how many aristocratic virgins willing to marry him were running around anyway?

As for what I've done - more than Waity Kaity, though that's a really low bar.
I have to agree with the others. There is no way she kept her maiden name.

There would be no announcement if she followed protocol and took William's name as that would be standard operating procedure.

However, the future queen of England keeping her own name would be so out of tradition, that act would be the one to necessitate an announcement.

Since there was no announcement that she bucked centuries of protocol and kept her own name, one can be reasonably sure that she followed tradition and took the royal name.

It really is pretty simple to deduce. But I am only a simple suburb dweller.

Last edited by Hrhpd; 12-04-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #142
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post

I was reading it like "if you don't do anything significant (or up to CF's standard) you then take the last name of your husband." All this "waityKatey" talk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
I have to agree with the others. There is no way she kept her maiden name.

There would be no announcement if she followed protocol and took William's name as that would be standard operating procedure.

However, the future queen of England keeping her own name would be so out of tradition, that act would be the one to necessitate an announcement.

Since there was no announcement that she bucked centuries of protocol and kept her own name, one can be reasonably sure that she followed tradition and took the royal name.

It really is pretty simple to deduce. But I am only a simple suburb dweller.

My guess is that CF did not take her husband's name and IF she did, she resents doing so. Her "high" opinion of Hillary Clinton and "low" opinion of Kate say volumes.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #143
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I agree his titles confer to her, doesn't mean she couldn't have her own last name. I don't think thinking the Spencer marriage was 'arranged' was much of a conspiracy theory at this point - how many aristocratic virgins willing to marry him were running around anyway?

We don't know how she she spent her time. Some petty minded idiot came up with a stupid nickname for and because the e press didn't know what she did they said she did nothing.
PaulaSB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #144
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

The news reported that all the British Commonwealths have agreed to the changes in the rules of succession. So now if The Duchess has a girl, she will be able to take the throne down the road.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #145
Laura
Wonders if the Tag Fairy takes requests?
Vegetarians unite!
Only uses the "best rigging"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Sarah Ferguson was usually called Sarah Ferguson instead of the Dutchess of York. They really don't have a last name. William goes by William Wales in the military.
Prince Harry also uses Wales as his last name in the military. You can see it on their name tags when in uniform.
Harry
William
Kate gave the name "Mrs. Cambridge" in a shop near her home, though perhaps as an alias: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertai...near-hometown/

UK royals generally don't do the whole "last name" thing, unless they want to or need to use one.

Any bets on whether it's a girl? That would be pretty sweet--another queen in waiting.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #146
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
The news reported that all the British Commonwealths have agreed to the changes in the rules of succession. So now if The Duchess has a girl, she will be able to take the throne down the road.
Once again the decision has been made but the process is not yet complete. I believe that Canada and the other countries have to put the act through Parliament. That has not yet been done.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #147
mmackeymouse
DIS Veteran

While my memory may fail me, I seem to remember that when in a situation when last names were used, or occasionally by the media, Princess Di was called Diana Spencer.

Of course it was so long ago, my memory may be blurred about whether that was during or post-marriage.

People are speculating on if it's a girl what place, if any, the name of Diana will hold. It could be true for a boy, too, as they could use the name Spencer.

She truly was an extraordinary lady.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #148
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie View Post
Once again the decision has been made but the process is not yet complete. I believe that Canada and the other countries have to put the act through Parliament. That has not yet been done.
Apparently, the formal approvals from the Commonwealth countries has now been received. However, this does not mean that it was (or is) "done except for paperwork". It means that the bill "The Succession to the Crown Bill" can now be brought forward.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...h-nations.html

Admittedly, I find this bit (from Clegg) somewhat suspicious:

Quote:
It’s a wonderful coincidence that the final confirmation from the other realms arrived on the very day that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge made their announcement.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #149
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake

Oh for goodness sake. If you'd even spend 40 seconds digging around on any numerous websites then you'd be able to sound infinitely more correct.

William and Harry were born into the name "of Wales" and the frequently used "Wales" as their last names through various school and and armed services registrations. William Wales. Henry (Harry) Wales. Their Father is His Royal Highness Charles, Prince of Wales and as his offspring is Prince William of Wales. That is not limited to just that family. His cousins are Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie of York. They frequently registered as Beatrice York and Eugenie York during schooling.

And there was indeed an official notification of the Duchesses official name on her wedding day. The Palace announced that her name would be styled as:

Her Royal Highness, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.

You can still find it on the Palace website.

As for whether or not she is more accomplished l than you I really couldn't say. She completed her University schooling and reportedly worked within her parent's business. Given that her parents created their wealth from relatively meager resources into a portfolio that could afford to send three kids to some of the best schools in England - I imagine that her role models weren't of the "laze around and spend the trust fund" types.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #150
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmackeymouse View Post
While my memory may fail me, I seem to remember that when in a situation when last names were used, or occasionally by the media, Princess Di was called Diana Spencer.

Of course it was so long ago, my memory may be blurred about whether that was during or post-marriage.

People are speculating on if it's a girl what place, if any, the name of Diana will hold. It could be true for a boy, too, as they could use the name Spencer.

She truly was an extraordinary lady.
Spencer was Diana's maiden name.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: