Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
muushupork
All For Her

Ecv or wheelchair

Hi! I am able bodied but have had 4 knee surgeries and have a bad back because of an odd disease called pigmented villonodular synovitis. I will be on my honeymoon at wdw later this month for 9 days and will be fine the first few days. However, I want to consider the mental health of my wife and I as this is her dream honeymoon.

I think i only really need a wheelchair for a back up when the pain and swelling go way above and beyond the daily levels i live with. But i dont mind splurging for en ecv if it really is just as easy to transport as a wheelchair when considering it will be easier for both of us while getting around the parks. Also should i just look for the best deal on rentals or are there any companies to avoid?

Thanks and my fiancé thanks you!!!
Old 04-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

is your wife going to be able or willing to push you? I would look at offsite EVC rental. only one that I would avoid is the big park ones, harder to drive in the crowds
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #3
muushupork
All For Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Rohrer View Post
is your wife going to be able or willing to push you? I would look at offsite EVC rental. only one that I would avoid is the big park ones, harder to drive in the crowds
She is but I doubt Either of us will be ok with her pushing for long. Im 6'2 215 and was hoping i could fit in a portable four wheel ecv but not sure how well ill fit.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

WDW has more hills than most of us realize -- until trying to push a wheelchair all day!

There are portable ECVs. If you will have a car/rental car, just let the ECV rental company know that so they reserve the right model for you. I suggest you check out the disABILITIES FAQ sticky near the top of this forum for vendors. There are both "preferred" and "non-preferred" -- though I personally think that's a bit of a misnomer. Preferred vendors have an agreement with WDW to utilize Bell Services at the resorts for pick-up and return. Non-preferred are not necessarily inferior to preferred, they simply will not be using Bell Services but instead will arrange to meet you personally. Some very highly recommended vendors on both lists.

Remember the ECV can always be parked if you wish to walk some.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
pbrim
Mouseketeer

I'd reccommend an ECV just for the independence. Transportable ECVs work just fine. My personal scooter is a Pride Go-go Elite Traveler Plus three wheel. I am 5'7", weigh around 250 and have found it perfectly comfortable riding all day. It breaks down into 4 pieces, the heaviest around 30 pounds, and I can fit it and a weeks groceries for one in the trunk of my Hyundai Sonata. I can easily get 8-10 hour days in the parks, sometimes more. The secret is to make sure you charge it every night and turn it off when not in use, even if just sitting for a parade. If you find you don't need it at the resort at night, you can leave it in the trunk and just carry in the battery to re-charge (but the battery weighs 30 pounds, so I have a little fold-able luggage cart to tote it to my room). There are other brands that are comparable, talk to the renting company.

The only real reason I have heard for a four wheel scooter is some people want to be able to prop a foot up on the front fender while riding. I don't know if that's a consideration for you -- you wouldn't be able to prop it up very high. I feel as though a 3 wheel has more leg room

Disney Land: 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1969, Oct 1994; Oct 2014
Disney World: AKL Oct 2009, WL Nov 2011, POFQ May 2014
pbrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

I agree that an ECV would be the best choice. A wheelchair is fine if you have a huge family with you who can take turns pushing your chair. Assuming that you are not sharing your honeymoon with relatives, your wife will be exhausted!

An ECV will also give you the feeling of independence. Your wife will thank you for sparing her the pain of being the pusher! The company you rent from will give you the proper size for your height & weight.

Relax - you will be fine!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
muushupork
All For Her

Wow thanks for the awesome responses!! I definitely think an ECV is the way to go and especially if I can leave it when Im feeling sorry for myself

I liked the idea of a 4 wheeler for stability but Im sure I would prefer the leg room of the 3 wheeler much more.

Thanks again for your help everyone!!
Old 04-09-2014, 05:46 AM   #8
Gilrond
Mouseketeer

Have just been scooter shopping so have tried several types. At your height, would recommend a 4 wheel for stability.
I am 4'10" and have rented a 3 wheel GoGo Sport before which was fine for me. I just bought the GoGo Elite which is 6" shorter and is narrower and realize that I definitely will have to be more careful on turns. Also not enough leg room for tall person on the Elite
Gilrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
trishwal
Convince me to take our family to Disneyland.

Our dad is scarcely 170 pounds and there are five of us in good shape who can take turns pushing him. We've talked about getting him a scooter but if he's absolutely exhausted do you think it may be better for him just to totally relax in a wheelchair and not have to worry about navigation? Also would he be able to enjoy the park more because someone is pushing him and he's not just having to watch out for the butts of other guests?

I really don't know the better choice. He's 67, just finished a hard round of chemo and radiation so he looks like he's at least 15 years older now and gets tired very easily. Taking all his kids and grandkids is the carrot he needs to keep positive and looking ahead.

Are the hills that bad? And if we go at rope drop will we stand a good chance to get a chair at each park each day?

Thanks in advance!
2007 - 7 day Disney World with DS-10 and DD-6
2012 - 2 Days onsite at Universal and 3 Days Disney at Bonnet Creek DS-15, DD-11
2014 - 13 of us (parents, siblings, and all our kids) 4-Day WDW staying in a 7 BR Emerald Island villa
trishwal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #10
JillyBean1899
Shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishwal View Post
Our dad is scarcely 170 pounds and there are five of us in good shape who can take turns pushing him. We've talked about getting him a scooter but if he's absolutely exhausted do you think it may be better for him just to totally relax in a wheelchair and not have to worry about navigation? Also would he be able to enjoy the park more because someone is pushing him and he's not just having to watch out for the butts of other guests?

I really don't know the better choice. He's 67, just finished a hard round of chemo and radiation so he looks like he's at least 15 years older now and gets tired very easily. Taking all his kids and grandkids is the carrot he needs to keep positive and looking ahead.

Are the hills that bad? And if we go at rope drop will we stand a good chance to get a chair at each park each day?

Thanks in advance!
If 5 of you can switch off, I'd say a manual chair for him would be fine. There are hills, but most of them aren't that bad if you're not the only one pushing all day. But instead of renting a park chair every day, I'd look into renting one from an off-site vendor, that way he has it available after he leaves the parks.

I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
No matter how slowly you're moving, it's better than standing still.
I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
JillyBean1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #11
muushupork
All For Her

I have to agree, its far to easy to rent off-site. Dont worry and have it ready whenever you need it.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #12
trishwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBean1899 View Post
If 5 of you can switch off, I'd say a manual chair for him would be fine. There are hills, but most of them aren't that bad if you're not the only one pushing all day. But instead of renting a park chair every day, I'd look into renting one from an off-site vendor, that way he has it available after he leaves the parks.
The only place this would be helpful is getting him to the parking lot. He has a handicapped tag so we could park close, but if he were too tired to even get that far is there a place where he could wait for us to pull the car up? He has a cane with a built-in seat that he uses for normal activity, and definitely wants to bring that. He also has a terrible back so he will be getting up and walking from time to time. We can put my step-mom in the chair those times - she will probably need a break now and then too!

Cost isn't as much of a concern as the convenience. If it's pretty easy to pack the wheelchair then the offsite is a no-brainer. Has anyone rented a wheelchair offsite? Are they the heavy duty like the ones in the park seem to be? Glad to know that a wheelchair is a good option; I'd all but convinced Dad that he HAD to have an ECV but I don't want him to miss out on any of the fun happening around him in the parks.
2012 - 2 Days onsite at Universal and 3 Days Disney at Bonnet Creek DS-15, DD-11
2014 - 13 of us (parents, siblings, and all our kids) 4-Day WDW staying in a 7 BR Emerald Island villa
Old 04-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #13
trishwal

Thanks guys for the responses so far.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
JillyBean1899
Shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishwal View Post
The only place this would be helpful is getting him to the parking lot. He has a handicapped tag so we could park close, but if he were too tired to even get that far is there a place where he could wait for us to pull the car up? He has a cane with a built-in seat that he uses for normal activity, and definitely wants to bring that. He also has a terrible back so he will be getting up and walking from time to time. We can put my step-mom in the chair those times - she will probably need a break now and then too!
There is a load/unload area, but I'm not sure how to get to it from the parking lot. You might try parking in the regular lot area, and asking the parking attendants if you can have the end of a row near where the shuttle drops off, but that's kinda hit or miss if they'll let you.

I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
No matter how slowly you're moving, it's better than standing still.
I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
JillyBean1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #15
muushupork
All For Her

Final just in case.... Is there any need to tell disney that im bringing a scooter in from offsite vendor? No form to fill out or approvals necessary?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: