Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
HisBeautyHerBeast
Earning My Ears

Judging a Book by it's Cover *rant*

I love WDW, it is my escape from all reality, and over time I'm sure you'll get to learn that about me! But... There is one thing that turns me away from Disney every... single... time.

I am young, 21 years old, and when you look at me I look like a perfectly normal 21 year old girl. And that's where most people are wrong. I actually suffer from multiple brain/neurological conditions, a heart deformity/disease, severe anxiety, arthritis, severe scoliosis, and many other things going on. I've had 2 brain surgeries, 2 surgeries on my left hip that needs a replacement (which they won't do because I am still too young for it to be covered), stomach surgery, and ENT surgery.
I also have spine surgery, heart surgery, and a possible brain surgery in my near future.
I fight for my life every day, but I manage, I am always in constant pain and always fatigued.

My DBF and I went to Disney in February and we had dinner at Crystal Palace. Everything was running pretty late and the waiter was nowhere to be found, but it was right before the fireworks. The fireworks are my thing! I can NOT miss the fireworks EVER! So after we finally paid the check we had 2 minutes to get outside to see the fireworks. We had been in the parks all day, and I was in the wheelchair, but I opted to experience the fireworks on my own two feet! (I can be very stubborn) When we got outside, we were in an apparent "walkway" and instead of a CM nicely telling us, I got screamed at. My DBF and I started to walk away to get out of the walkway, and I have an a very clear limp and cannot walk fast, yet the CM followed us still screaming that we need to move. Can you say embarrassed?! We went back to the room and I cried the rest of the night. Regardless, the firework show was ruined. WDW guest relations were very apologetic and I was fine. Not everyone can be perfect!

Then it happened again... We stayed this past week and I was confined to a wheelchair the entire time, I was just in the hospital for 4 days the week before for my heart not functioning correctly, and not getting enough oxygen.
One night, we decided to go to BLT to watch the Wishes firework show, since we had only seen the Hollowishes show this visit.
We had relaxed all day, I felt I would be capable of traveling there without the chair and feel some sense of normalcy in my favorite place in the world. We saw the show and decided to go to Boardwalk and explore a bit. We decided once we got to the resort, we would get a temporary chair and take a taxi back to our resort (AKL-KV). We took a bus from Contemporary to MK and transferred to a bus to BWV. While we were waiting for the bus to BWV, the line was really long. I kept squeezing my DBF's hand because I couldn't catch my breath, but I was okay. We got to the front of the line, and the bus was PACKED. There was no way I could stand on a crowded, moving bus so we decided to wait for the next one and lean on the rail, and try to catch my breath. (Yeah I know, I should've been in the wheelchair, but I told you I'm stubborn! :little angel:
After telling the person directing people onto the bus that we would wait for the next one, his exact response was "really?" We laughed it off and said yes we will wait. He looked at the people on the bus and said to them "Guess these two don't want to stand, whatever" then as the bus left, he says "why couldn't you stand? You're young" Not that it is any of his business, I said "well I've had two brain surgeries" He snickered and said "standing's good for you" and I just responded with "not for me" and said "well now you have to wait so."
Again... The embarrassment was unreal, tears welled up in my eyes and my DBF just held me.

I get the fact that I look perfectly "fine" but in reality, my body is very ill. I just cannot believe that this continues to be an issue for me, comments and questioning are so embarrassing. I didn't ask to be sick, I was born this way. I'm wondering if I need to start carrying documentation on me. Besides all of the dirty looks I get from guests while in the wheelchair, or kids asking their parents why do I get a wheelchair and their answers are "she doesn't want to walk" HA!

Sorry for such a long story, I guess the moral is as old as time, never judge a book by it's cover!

Old 09-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
FaithsWish
Earning My Ears

I'm so sorry this happened.

Faith's "Super" Wish Pre-Trip Report
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

I'm sorry this happened to you That is not right. I, myself have autism so I understand.

Kaitlin: Lover of 5 Seconds of Summer, One Direction, Jonas, and Concerts
WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, 6/14, 7/14 DLR: Too Many To Count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14 DLP: 6/13
Old 09-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
goofy77
Earning My Ears

I am so sorry that this happened to you. The next time some one even saids anything to you just ask them if you would like to switch lives with you and then you can feel like I feel. Lets see how you would like to feel like shyt all of the time like I do. You are nicer then me because I would tell the to go to hll and then run them over with the wheel chair
Old 09-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
disney david
DIS Veteran

I would of just told the driver you wanted to wait for the next bus and didn't want to stand. Or next time hat happens and it a bus driver tell them I don't want to stand and have a right to have a safe ride thanks to the dot. And have no problem calling the dot to file a complaint saying your operating this bus in a unsafe manor that will shut them up.

I am sorry that happened I think the driver was trying to joke but once found out should stop and apologized. He should never said anything you want to wait for the next bus that your right and choice. I just said I wait for the next bus and if he kept going say I what for yours manager of you want.

Please don't let it ruin your experiences with buses not all drivers are like that. Did you get his name and bus number and dot number and report him to Disney. Disney will take it very seriously and talk to the driver and get his side and then after that they will most likely discipline him.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by disney david; 09-25-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
bidnow5
DIS Veteran

Sorry this happened to you unfortunately some people are just uninformed. I've been dealing with the you look healthy issue for a long time I would get the name and report them. We had a problem in May 2013 I went to guest services with his name they were supposed to retrain him ( I hope they did)

Old 09-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #7
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

This is a shame, but you really cannot expect strangers to understand your medical issues, especially if you look fine. It will be easier for you if you try to develop a thicker skin and try not to take things so personally. Why do you care what a bus driver or some random person thinks?

Next time, use your wheelchair. There's nothing wrong with needing a little help. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
M5ward
When You Wish Upon A Star...

I am angry for you...and sorry that you have to be subjected to this kind of treatment. First, I would be noting names of cast members and then writing a letter of complaint. At the very least you should be able to count on some understanding from them. By now, everyone knows, or should know, that you can't determine a person's disability by looking at them.
When my husband first started having to rely on an ECV to visit the parks, he got a lot of "that's a great way to travel" and "must save your feet from hurting" kind of comments. He doesn't get that so much anymore because he now looks ill. Like him, I know that you would rather be able to enjoy WDW on your own two feet, not struggling for breath or feeling tired.
DON'T LET THESE EVENTS DETRACT FROM YOUR ENJOYMENT OF THIS SPECIAL PLACE.
Do you need to develop a thicker skin? Easier said than done. People need to develop a sense of empathy.

Nov., 1981 (CR),Nov., 1983 (CR),Dec., 1994 (off-site),Jan., 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), Jan., 2007 (SSR), Nov., 2007 (SSR), Feb., 2008 (BWV), Oct., 2008 (OKW), Jan., 2009 (BWV),Oct., 2009 (BCV), Jan., 2010 (BWV), Oct., 2010 (OKW),Jan., 2011 (BWV), Nov., 2011 (OKW)
Jan., 2012 (BLT),Apr., 2012 (BWV)Nov./Dec.,2012 (BWV), Jan, 2013 (BLT), , Apr, 2013 (BCV)Oct2013(BWV)
Old 09-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Man, that ticks me off.

The thing is, people shouldn't HAVE to realize that a stranger has a medical issue in order to treat them with simple respect and courtesy. Once the OP told the CM they would wait for the next bus, he should have just said, "OK," and let that be the end of it, no matter what he secretly thought about them. Period.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
Mrs.Malone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
Man, that ticks me off.

The thing is, people shouldn't HAVE to realize that a stranger has a medical issue in order to treat them with simple respect and courtesy. Once the OP told the CM they would wait for the next bus, he should have just said, "OK," and let that be the end of it, no matter what he secretly thought about them. Period.
Exactly! Some people just talk too much. Their mouths open and stuff runs out. Sometimes these are people who really shouldn't be in customer service positions (or they need some serious re-training). I'm sorry this happens to you so much, OP!
I have children with visible and invisible disabilities. We haven't really had much trouble with rude comments, maybe because they are children?
Old 09-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
Twende
Best laid plans of Mouse and men.....

I am sorry. Some people are just not knowledgeable about things.

My disabilities are mostly hidden, I too look fairly normal. Because of some medical problems I usually need a bathroom with a sink by the toilet. I also have trouble getting up and down off a low toilet so the ones with grip bars that are also higher are best for me. Plus the higher the toilet the better as my crazy bladder empties better when I am upright. Things get to be a mess if I urinate on a low seat and then try to stand up. Oh yeah life is fun sometimes.

But I had someone give me a hard time about waiting for a bathroom in DHS. I waited a good 15 minutes, which I understand there where 2 adults and 2 wheel chair only children. It takes a while and I understand that. But as one of the women came out she yelled at me for waiting for the "handicapped" bathroom.

I explained to her that not all "handicaps" are visible and that I needed the sink by the toilet because of my medical problem and then I gave her the medical term for my condition which I normally do not do. I was ticked that she of all people would question me.

I hate it when people do this. Try not to let it ruin your experiences but I do understand!
Old 09-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

Weird, people wait for the next bus all the time.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #13
bidnow5
DIS Veteran

I've been yelled at for using the handicap bathroom I just don't understand people passing judgement on strangers. I haven't had many problems in Disney but here locally I've had a bunch. I had a family follow me all over a Walmart with the father repeatedly saying I was just fat and lazy and shouldn't be using a scooter. It was so bad I had to leave the store. What kind of lesson was that idiot teaching his children.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #14
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Malone View Post
We haven't really had much trouble with rude comments, maybe because they are children?
As much as it annoys me to admit it, I think some people really are that way. There are accommodations I'm routinely denied at WDW, but I'm always reading comments from people with children who say, "Oh, we just say we need to do [X], and they always say yes; it's never been a problem."
Old 09-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #15
olwyngdh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidnow5 View Post
I've been yelled at for using the handicap bathroom I just don't understand people passing judgement on strangers. I haven't had many problems in Disney but here locally I've had a bunch. I had a family follow me all over a Walmart with the father repeatedly saying I was just fat and lazy and shouldn't be using a scooter. It was so bad I had to leave the store. What kind of lesson was that idiot teaching his children.
My response to people like that is usually along the lines of I may be fat, but at least I am not an unmannered Neanderthal.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: