Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
jvarne1
Earning My Ears

DAS questions

We have a 3 1/2-year old ds and a 6-year old dd. Both with SPD. DS is a major sensory seeker - easily overstimuated, etc...DD is a sensory avoider and borderline PDD-NOS, although LOVES roller coasters, swings, etc...We went to Disney 1 1/2 years ago and she absolutely LOVED it! Of course, we had the old GAC at that time.

So, my first question is, do I need to get DAS for both kids? Or would one be good enough? It is a total of 4 of us.

Second question, Is there a Guest Services at Downtown Disney? Could we obtain the DAS there upon arriving at Disney? Or does it have to be at a Park? Is it good for the whole trip, or do we have to get one everyday?

TIA!
jvarne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvarne1 View Post
We have a 3 1/2-year old ds and a 6-year old dd. Both with SPD. DS is a major sensory seeker - easily overstimuated, etc...DD is a sensory avoider and borderline PDD-NOS, although LOVES roller coasters, swings, etc...We went to Disney 1 1/2 years ago and she absolutely LOVED it! Of course, we had the old GAC at that time.

So, my first question is, do I need to get DAS for both kids? Or would one be good enough? It is a total of 4 of us.

Second question, Is there a Guest Services at Downtown Disney? Could we obtain the DAS there upon arriving at Disney? Or does it have to be at a Park? Is it good for the whole trip, or do we have to get one everyday?

TIA!
You can only obtain the DAS at GR at one of the parks and they will make it for the length of your trip.

If you think that you'll be splitting the kids up often I would get one for each. That's really only something you can answer since you know how you tour the park. There have been reports of them chopping the DAS party in half (2 on one card, 2 on another) so that people can't double up on return times. To all 4 go on the same ride you'd just get the time marked down on both cards. It's not a huge deal, but just wanted to give a heads up.
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
jvarne1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
You can only obtain the DAS at GR at one of the parks and they will make it for the length of your trip.

If you think that you'll be splitting the kids up often I would get one for each. That's really only something you can answer since you know how you tour the park. There have been reports of them chopping the DAS party in half (2 on one card, 2 on another) so that people can't double up on return times. To all 4 go on the same ride you'd just get the time marked down on both cards. It's not a huge deal, but just wanted to give a heads up.
Never even thought about the possibility of splitting up. Yes, I'm sure with a 3 1/2 and a 6-year old (will be almost 7 at the time of the trip) we will definitely be splitting up. Thank you for the info!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
jvarne1
Earning My Ears

Just thought of another question...

Which park would be the easiest to get to on the day of arrival? We are offsite for the first part of our trip, then onsite for the last 6 nights. We will be very close to EPCOT - staying at WBC. Will that one be the easiest or HS? In terms of parking? Gosh, now that I'm thinking it thru, that will be a pain to pay for parking just to go to GR at the front of the park...

Any ideas???
Old 04-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

If you haven't yet, I suggest you check out WDW - Disability Access Service Cards sticky near the top of this forum. The first few posts explain in detail about the DAS.

DAS is for one person, and will have that person's picture on it. That person MUST ride when the DAS is used. So, as PP mentioned, if there is possibility of the family splitting up, or the kids wanting to do different rides, each child will need a DAS. Otherwise, you can probably get by with 1 in the name of the older child (assuming the older child may be tall enough for some rides the younger one isn't). In either case, you will have to explain how waiting in regular queues isn't possible for that child, explaining needs not diagnoses.

DAS will be issued for the length of your trip.

DAS can only be obtained at one of the four major theme parks. It MAY be issued at a Guest Relations window outside the gates. At busy times when they are dealing with a lot of ticket issues, it has been reported that DAS was only available inside the parks.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
jvarne1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
If you haven't yet, I suggest you check out WDW - Disability Access Service Cards sticky near the top of this forum. The first few posts explain in detail about the DAS.

DAS is for one person, and will have that person's picture on it. That person MUST ride when the DAS is used. So, as PP mentioned, if there is possibility of the family splitting up, or the kids wanting to do different rides, each child will need a DAS. Otherwise, you can probably get by with 1 in the name of the older child (assuming the older child may be tall enough for some rides the younger one isn't). In either case, you will have to explain how waiting in regular queues isn't possible for that child, explaining needs not diagnoses.

DAS will be issued for the length of your trip.

DAS can only be obtained at one of the four major theme parks. It MAY be issued at a Guest Relations window outside the gates. At busy times when they are dealing with a lot of ticket issues, it has been reported that DAS was only available inside the parks.

Enjoy your vacation!
Thank you for your response. I will definitely review the posts that you mentioned. I think I will just plan on going to Guest Relations on our first park day which is at Epcot. I was just hoping to get a start on things prior to our start day at the parks.

Thanks again!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: