Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
pumpkinjl
Mouseketeer

HELP!!! Mickey tie dye shirts???

So- I am trying to make mickey tie dye shirt for everyone in my party. I followed the directions, watch the youtube video, bought my stuff and proceeded.

However, after I stitched around mickey - I CANNOT get the waxed dental floss to pull. I actually ripped one of the shirts trying and the second one was almost impossible! What am I doing wrong? How close do the stitches need to be? I want a really defined mickey head.
pumpkinjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
roadtrippin2wdw
Mouseketeer

I've made probably 20-30 of these for my family over a couple of years. I do get snags every once in a while and have to pull each individual stitch through to get it tight (it does need to be tight). Once I'm completely done and think the Mickey head needs extra highlighting or definition, I use a paintbrush and paint some diluted bleach around the edge and then let it airdry. I've also read that people use clorox bleach pens. If you do this, make sure you put a piece of cardboard or something inside the shirt so the bleach doen't bleed into the back side of the shirt. Goodluck, not only will your family appreciate them, you'll probably have people compliment them through the parks! Hope that helps!

roadtrippin2wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
veraletta
DIS Veteran

You need to pull the stitches as tight as you can with the waxed dental floss. You may have your stitches to close together. After that don't forget to put rubber band around the heads. We spaced our stitches about this size _ _ _ not to close together but we did pull the waxed dental floss as tight as we could and put the rubber band as close to the stitches as you can. You need a good weight tee shirt 100% cotton. We order our tee shirts on line and paid under $3 a tee shirt. They had one light weight cotton and one heavy weight... you want the heavy weight. We had trouble with the light weight as you said, we did ripper one of ours too, I just sew it up, and you really couldn't tell it, the next time we bought the heavy weight tee shirt and didn't have any trouble at all...
veraletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
pumpkinjl
Mouseketeer

Unhappy Mickey shirt washed down the drain!

So the shirts are made and the mickey heads look(ed) great - Once do unwrapped and rinsed them they looked great! However, when I washed the shirts (using only the rinse cycle) they faded to almost completely white. Even the Mickey head washed out in places. What did I do wrong?

I soaked them in soda ash for ann hour and followed the instructions. Like I said when I wrapped the shirt they looked great! The water ran clear and they were perfect - until the wash!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
veraletta
DIS Veteran

I always leave mine to soak for 3 days, it must be the dye you used. We had one set of shirts do that and it was the dye we used, and we had to redo it again. Also make sure your tee shirts were 100% cotton.

Last edited by veraletta; 12-11-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: missed a word
Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
pumpkinjl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraletta View Post
We had one set of shirts do that and it was the dye we used, and we had to redo it again.
What kind of dye did you use?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
veraletta
DIS Veteran

The best Tie-Dye we used was Tulip in the big bottle which you added water to.
It came in a kit at walmart and had 6 bottles and you could do 40 tee shirts. I don't know why the ones in the little packet didn't work. I think we only paid $20 for the kit. All I know is that, it was the best deal and the colors came out really bright. We kept them wrapped up for 3 days before rinsed them.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Viator80
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraletta
You need to pull the stitches as tight as you can with the waxed dental floss. You may have your stitches to close together. After that don't forget to put rubber band around the heads. We spaced our stitches about this size _ _ _ not to close together but we did pull the waxed dental floss as tight as we could and put the rubber band as close to the stitches as you can. You need a good weight tee shirt 100% cotton. We order our tee shirts on line and paid under $3 a tee shirt. They had one light weight cotton and one heavy weight... you want the heavy weight. We had trouble with the light weight as you said, we did ripper one of ours too, I just sew it up, and you really couldn't tell it, the next time we bought the heavy weight tee shirt and didn't have any trouble at all...
Where did you order t shirts from?
Viator80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
veraletta
DIS Veteran

http://www.cheapestees.com/

Tags
shirt, shirts, tie dye, tiedye

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: