Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #16
espana94
DIS Veteran

If anyone does run into car trouble while in Orlando, I highly recommend 535 Auto. It is right on SR 535 (Apopka-Vineland Rd) a half a block from Vista Way. DD had some car issues during her CP. They worked on her car twice, did a great job and were very fair in their pricing...No "Oh, you really should fix this..." to jack up the repair bill. Plus, they gave her a 10% cast member discount.
espana94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #17
NHSchool2012
DCP Alumni -- Earned my Ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post
Yes, I have taken the Autotrain once and Amtrak a few times. I just did not think of it. We plan on taking her down and staying at least 7 nights. Not sure about the whole thing though - truck being reliable (don't want to run into any problems going down), taking flights home for dh and I and doing the same thing to pick her up. Are you going down solo as of now? I would not want to do that kind of driving alone, young or older. If she was going away to school for a year or the usual 4 years - I would not hesitate one moment and would want her to have her car down. Not sure how worth it is for four months. Again, I appreciate reading all the input and info. in these threads/posts.
My mom said it depends on how I get down there. If I'm taking a car, someone will come with me and fly back, but if I fly or take the train, I'd most likely be going alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtototoo View Post
My dd had her car for her CP this spring. She'll be bringing it for her 2nd CP this coming spring. Here are her considerations:

1. She said that taking the bus to/from work in the beginning is a great way to meet people and she intends to use the bus in the beginning for that purpose alone. EXCEPT if she's working 12+ hours or into the wee hours.

2. Yes, she often worked 12+ hours or until 2-3-4am. At that point, standing around and waiting for a bus, then standing ON the bus was a bit much, then being on the bus for another hour? Oy. There were a few times when she was getting home as her roommates were getting up to leave for their early morning shifts -- which meant she didn't get to sleep until almost 8am.

3. The buses to/from Walmart etc were unreliable. She and her roommates initially tried using the bus for those trips, but after having to call a cab because the bus never came back to pick them up or because while waiting, their frozen food melted in the FL heat, she was done with that.

4. She enjoyed having the freedom to go to Universal, to the Florida Mall, out to dinner or for other entertainment options in the area whenever she felt like it.

5. She had no problem telling people no when they'd ask for rides (and total strangers in the CP would ask for rides). Or she'd tell them, "Sure. Your gas contribution will be $5". Suddenly, they didn't want that ride any more. LOL Although, she also made a bit of money when people were willing to pay her for rides to Walmart, Publix, etc.
These are good points, thank you for saying them. I would definitely like being able to drive to the beach or the mall or something when I want and not have to rely on a bus to bring me back. The main reason why I'm hesitating is because my of lack of experience. I've only been driving my parents around for a couple of months, and I don't want to all of a sudden be thrown into an unfamiliar state alone with a big car to control. Right now I feel fine if I know that I'd be driving on small roads, but once I get to a highway with 3+ lanes and exits on both sides, having to watch everyone at once, I don't know how I'll react to that.
NHSchool2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: