Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #1456
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacate

I actually wound up on the treadmill today. It was partly timing, but the weather certainly made it appealing. My son wanted to swim so I left him at the pool and ran while he swam (day off from school). He's almost 11 but has aspergers so it's always odd for me to give him that level of independence! He did great of course. Now I'm sitting at the gate for a business trip to Atlanta. Looking forward to temps above freezing for 2 days. Brought capris to run in!!!
Oh, girl - you missed the warmth by a few days! I teach preschool in Atl and we couldn't even take the kids outside today because of the wind chill!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #1457
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
I am in the Nimbus as well...they are in Asics' neutral line of shoes, so not considered a stability shoe. Doesn't mean they are not the cause of your problems though. I'm thinking more and more lately that running shoe shopping should be approached like a medical diagnosis...sometimes you need a 2nd or 3rd opinion. You might try getting fitted again either at another store or by a different person in the same store just to see if they suggest anything different to you. My BF has had 2 completely different types of shoes suggested for him at 2 different stores in our area before. It's kind of frustrating!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
ITA with Cripey! I loved my old Asics Nimbus 11's, but Asics totally changed where they place the arch in their shoes AND changed the Nimbus and I can't wear them anymore. And I no longer trust the fitters at all; they never get me in the right shoe. I've gotten so I just know what position feels just-right for my foot and go by that feel. I know stability shoes make my foot roll out too much - I can feel it even while standing - so why I felt compelled to run in the stupid Pure Cadence's is beyond me.

As to how to know which shoes are which, most brand websites spell this out. Sometimes you really have to search, though.
I just got put in a pair of Asics that will be going back. I was put in the Trainer 17s. They felt fine in the store and during a brief jog down the sidewalk in front of the store. When I tried to do out for a run in them, OMG, so much pain - Achillles tendon, ankles, and knees were all killing me within 1 mile. Since they only complaint about my old shoes was a blistering issue that changing my lacing fixed, I'm switching back to my old shoes. The guy at the store was appalled that I was training in racing flats, but I am choosing to go back to pain free running.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #1458
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherekhan View Post
Yeah, I'm up here in Chicago. I got the white hairspray for my Frost Fairy costume and it's feeling pretty darn appropriate. The only upside to being injured is that I've had an excuse not to run in this cold snap! On the upside, I did a little tentative mile on the treadmill just to test and no pain! So maybe I'll get back out soon.
It is freezeing here in the windy city that is for sure.
I am glad you had no pain on your test mile
Old 01-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #1459
JoyaDelMar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagansmom
Hello everyone! Who else is in the frozen north with me? It's -4 with the wind chill today. I can't wait to be in FL! We leave in month.
Checking in from 18* Brooklyn, NY. I foolishly slept in this morning and now am facing the cold at night :-/ I'm listening to podcasts and reading the boards to pysch myself up. Wish me luck!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Upcoming in 2013: 5th Anniversary Princess Half Marathon // 2012: WDW Trip - First Time on the Dining Plan, DCL Dream 3-Night Bahamas February 9, TLCC Post-Conference Trip to Disneyland, DCL Fantasy 7-Night Eastern Caribbean September 8 // 2011: TLCC Conference @ Bonnet Creek, DCL Magic 7-Night Western Caribbean October 1 (Anniversary Trip!) // 2010: Birthday Trip to MK and HS // 2009: DCL Wonder 3-Night February 12, Christmas Eve in Hollywood // 2008: Spring Break 08 - Pirate and Princess Party // 2007: Scurvy in the New Year, CM Surprise, Best Friend Park Hopping, Holidays Around The World // 2006: BF's Pop Century, Spring Break 06 - Mead Summer Sizzler, Family Xmas @ DD // 2005: BF's August Album // 2000 - 2004: Park Hopping with Sophie (x10), Weekends with the Family (x4) // 1997 - 2000: Youth Group Retreat @ WDW, Night of Joy 1999, FW Camping with Friends // 1992 - 1997: Weekends with the Family (x6), Dad's Kingdom '96, // 1992: 1st Trip to WDW! // 1989: 1st Trip to Disneyland!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #1460
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

Waivers! Waivers! Waivers! Waivers! Maybe if we all chant it, they will magically appear!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #1461
JacksMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post

I'm doing the same. My family is all going (and staying at BCV) but I'm running solo. Welcome!!

Thanks for the welcome, happy to be here!

December 2011 Dining Review
February 2013 - BC CL
February 2012 - BC CL
December 2011 - Disney Dream Cruise + Split Stay at WL CL & Poly CL

Old 01-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #1462
JacksMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagansmom View Post
Hello! Me, too. I will be run/walking the PHM solo w/my family back at Beach Club.
Sweet! Is there a bus picking up at BC? We should ride over together! What's your pace? I'm at 13 mm run/walk

February 2013 - BC CL
February 2012 - BC CL

Old 01-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #1463
JacksMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post
Read your latest blog and cried ! You have been through soooo much, can't imagine the pain. Please know lots of love & pixie dust your way from TX!

Kinda bummed that I have yet another bad cold..the kind where you lay on the couch and watch trashy tv like honey boo boo & the kardashians. Was hoping to do the Hero Half marathon this Sunday in San Antonio but when I called running coach to reschedule my training for tomorrow he was like " uhhhh nooooo half marathon on Sunday. Let your body & immune system get better
& you don't want want to catch something else and be out two weeks. ". Sooooo...no training this week until I feel better. Coach assured me that missing five days of training would not push me back. DH and I have already done a 10 mi run so we are okay for our goal of completing our first half. Still bummed...just not the gal who sits on the couch and watches tv !
Hi from Austin! Sorry to hear you're under the weather. I got something over the weekend, lost my voice and missed my run today. Boo. Hope you feel better soon!

February 2013 - BC CL
February 2012 - BC CL

Old 01-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #1464
semejorado
Earning My Ears

Sweepers!

Any information on when the sweepers sweep (which miles?) or are they always on the prowl?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #1465
LEXAVE
Earning My Ears

Family Fun Run

We are running the half on Sunday and have decided to do the 5K for fun. We are just walking it and taking in the views.

I know the race starts at 6:30, and this is a much smaller race than the half, so are there corals? Also, what time should we get on the bus? (We are at the WL.)

Thanks for your help. Hope everyone is staying warm (or cool) and healthy.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #1466
Jeannekay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hello everyone! Who else is in the frozen north with me? It's -4 with the wind chill today. I can't wait to be in FL! We leave in month.
I am! I had -2.7 this morning. I can't believe they still had school. I like reading everyone's posts about buying shoes. It is a difficult thing for me too. I like the Asics Gel kayano17. My foot doctor gave me a white arch support that also goes under my heel.

I ran in them for a year and had less foot pain, but... developed a suspicious bone spur? under my third toe, in the pad, on one foot. No injuries but noticed after the half marathon I had pain in my hips.

I wish there was better technology out there. I am going to try Hanson's running store in Lake Orion, MI. They help train Desiree Davilla so maybe I'll have better luck with them.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #1467
JenNel85
Mouseketeer

Quote:
UGH, I'm in Jersey. I managed to get 3 miles in today...it was AWFUL. So freakin' cold!

Although, I will say that my pace was a bit faster that usual -- I thought maybe if I ran as fan as I could, my body would stay warmer...plus I wanted to get back inside ASAP!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #1468
Jeannekay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by semejorado View Post
Any information on when the sweepers sweep (which miles?) or are they always on the prowl?
I'm not sure, but read about someone getting picked up because she was too slow and hung out at the bathroom too much.

I was scared too and made sure I ran 10, 11, 12 and 13 miles at home. I was sure I could make it then.

Just make sure you go 13.2 miles in at least 3 1/2 hours. I did mine in 2:40 and there were tons of people behind me. Take some Tylenol or something with you to help keep you going.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #1469
TXAng
Mouseketeer

Hello all! Add me to the list. I'll be running the Princess solo, though DH is going to do the 5K and the kids are doing the kids races, too. This will be our first Disney race, so we're very excited.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #1470
valeriejp
Earning My Ears

Not sure of all the sweep points for the half, but I walked with the balloon ladies from mile 16 on at the full. They would announce where the next sweep point was, and as we got closer, how long we had to get there. They sweep by pulling a bus across the road, so they can't sweep in the parks. For the full, the last three points were at around 16, 21, and 23.5. Once we passed the last point, they said we could take as long as we wanted, as long as we kept moving. I think I took over 45 minutes for the last 2 miles! They definitely give you plenty of warning, they don't just show up and say " you're done".

Last edited by valeriejp; 01-23-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: