Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #1171
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
Yesterday in the hamster wheel, I did 4 laps running and 1 lap walking for 10 miles. I found it was hard to get into the run at first whereas normally during the 1st mile I find my pace. With all the transitions, it took me almost 3 miles to get into a good groove. Is that normal? Toward the end, I felt very energized like I could easily keep going, so I am assuming that overall it's a good strategy. But it was so hard to get into it. Is that normal for those of you used to run/walking? Will it get easier? Or do you think I should modify and run a few miles before stating my intervals just to get myself in a groove?

And also, how frequent are the pace groups at PHM? I normally use my phone app to help me pace but my plan is to have that in my spibelt and carry my camera instead. I'll take it out now and again to check, but I don't want to be looking every 4 minutes to do interval training.
It usually takes me only a mile before I can get into a groove, but I've been doing intervals for quite a while. However, I used to do 1 mile intervals, walk for 1 minute, so I wasn't stopping and starting so often. Since I have been getting back into the swing of things from being off most of the summer, I switched to half mile intervals and I'm pretty happy with that right now. It might just take some getting used to.

I don't believe the pace groups (if they have them this year; there was chatter that they would not) do intervals. I just look at my watch for my timing, but as I'm sure you are getting from a lot of others, there are tons of apps that you can set. However, that would require you to keep the phone out of the spibelt, b/c there is a whole lot of beeping going on at this race!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 01-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #1172
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

I asked Clifs and they said no pace groups at the halves- only able to support marathons right now (fulls)

So I don't think there will be official pace groups

Now unofficial groups may have pacers you could follow. My online running group had pacers at marathon weekend and they said they nailed their pace. But the groups would stop for pics, then go sprinting when needed to make up pace- so they weren't like normal pace groups. Still finished in their times with pics but were not doing a steady 12 min mile for example.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #1173
Mommy to Two Princes
Mouseketeer

Has anyone heard if New Balance will have the Disney shoes at the PHM expo? The more I look at them, the more I want them!

I even think I like the men's shoe better than the ladies because it has the Mickey heads. Glad a have a wide foot!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #1174
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Two Princes
Has anyone heard if New Balance will have the Disney shoes at the PHM expo? The more I look at them, the more I want them!

I even think I like the men's shoe better than the ladies because it has the Mickey heads. Glad a have a wide foot!
I chatted on Fb with someone who said she wants to buy them at the expo... She also said that they will be $125. I assume she isn't just speculating.... So I took it to mean that they would be sold for $125 at the expo
Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #1175
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Two Princes View Post

I was thinking the same about the men's shoe. I heard they will have them at the Tink expo this weekend, I would imagine if they can produce them fast enough they'll be looking to make money off of those of us who like to spend $ at the expo.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #1176
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Two Princes View Post

They sold out first day of marathon expo. I talked to rep and she said they totally missed it but they would have more at the PHM. And yes $125

Old 01-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #1177
LoveMyMoos
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle2211 View Post
Can anyone who has ITband syndrome try to explain what it feels like? Its what the dr and PT diagnosed me with, but I'm just not sure I agree with it. I can foam roll my ITband all day and don't find a single spot that hurts (and I've heard that foam rolling the ITband hurts!). They show me stretches that should be slightly painful, and they're not. Yet after the half today, my knee once again is killing me. I've been icing off and on all day but still have a heavy limp. My pain is on the outside of the knee (which is why it leads to the ITband thought) but it feels like its the actual bone to me. It doesn't hurt above or below the side of the knee, but the bone right where it bends. I'm so frustrated that nothing in PT worked. And I have an other 5k on Saturday.
Mine is the exact same way. After long runs, my right knee kills. It's on the outside of the kneecap, and sometimes around the bottom and top on that side. Up until yesterday, it has only really been after long runs that it hurt. But yesterday it was after mile 4 that it got really bad, I had to stop and walk a lot and all day after, I could barely walk. Bought a foam roller and rolled my hip and thigh and it felt better this morning. Not completely, but better. I went to the chiropractor today and he worked a bit on it and it feels so much better. I'm going to be rolling that area out more, and seeing my chiro weekly between now and PHM, to hopefully avoid being in pain for the half.
Nov 2013 POFQ Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon Jan 2014 Paradise Pier DL Tink 1/2 Marathon Feb 2014 Contemporary Glass Slipper Challenge
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #1178
Mommy to Two Princes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey View Post
They sold out first day of marathon expo. I talked to rep and she said they totally missed it but they would have more at the PHM. And yes $125
WOO HOO!!! You just made my day! I know what my big Disney purchase will be this year.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #1179
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBlair View Post
I run on an indoor track as well so I can completely relate to what you experienced!! I've switched to early morning runs to avoid the crowds because people do not respect the track and I was very worried I'm gonna get hurt, or hurt someone else.

I am so excited for the Princess half..finally bought my plane ticket. I'm arriving Friday evening and leaving Sunday evening. I'm going after my Coast to Coast - running Tinker Bell on Sunday!!! But right now, I'm fighting off whatever illness I've caught.
Good luck at Tink ! Loved reading your blog on your Disneyland race...good inspiration for us newbies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Another Princess here debating the rest of my training plan. Right now my long runs look like this:

9-10 miles (this week)
11-12 miles
10K race
12-13 miles
4-5 miles
Princess Half

I have serious concerns about those back-to-back long run weeks followed by a 10K race. The last two back-to-back long weeks totaled me; my muscles simply stopped recovering altogether and I've been exhausted ever since. Now, much of that is due to an auto-immune issue that's flaring up big-time due to stress, but that means I need even more rest to battle it. So I'm thinking this is a better bet:

9-10 miles this week
4-5 miles
10K race
11-12 miles
4-5 miles
Princess Half

Thoughts?
Since I am a newbie (and yeah..now exercise asthma!) here is the training schedule my running coach gave me based on this being my first and the goal to get me across the finish line in the allotted time.

10 mi last week
7 mi this week
Hero Half Marathon in San Antonio 27 Jan
7 mi 2 Feb
8 mi 9 Feb
6 Mi 16 Feb
And then PHM ! Yeah!

My three maitenance runs during the week are 4-6 mi varying with pick ups and hills. Running coach didn't want me over training and wanted my muscle recovery to be good. I do have to say the next day after my recent 10 mil I felt GREAT!

Right now DH and I are doing between a 12:49 and 13:24 on our long runs. Cooler means shorter time, humidity longer time. Since I do most of my training on a TM (life in the country means no street lights etc. ) I have the TM at a 1.5% incline and find my time is right around 13:45 for training yet my longer runs outside are shorter...Go figure!

I am also doing an interval of 2:2 and have done variations during my training. I think if I had gone to Doc sooner and gotten the Albuterol I might actually be able to do a 4 or 5 min and 1 in walk but I will take what I can right now!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #1180
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisha73 View Post
I actually started doing intervals about 6 months ago because of ITBS and asthma issues, so I have some thoughts! I found it really hard to get into the groove of my run when I first started doing intervals, but now it's not a problem, so I think you might get used to it as you do it more. But if it doesn't bother your IT band, you could try out running a mile or two and then doing intervals. The nice thing about intervals is the flexibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPrincess View Post
Yea, this is totally normal for me. The first 2-3 miles are the hardest but then I find my groove. I do significantly more running for my short runs in that my running intervals are about 3 times longer than what I use for long runs. Doing this has helped me get into my groove sooner for the long runs, making them much easier. I figure, I'm not going to find my groove during short runs anyway so might as well run as much as I can stand, as hard as I can stand it. The effect this strategy has had on my long runs has been remarkable, for me anyway. Lol
Quote:
Ditto that for me. When I was doing my longer run intervals (pre-ITBS), I found my groove by the end of the first mile on long runs, but having reduced my running intervals, I don't really "feel" it until 2 or 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
I also take a little while to find my groove when I start out. When I first got the ok to start running after injury I'd walk 4 laps, run 3 (7 laps for a mile). Then gradually increased run time so it was walk 1 lap, run 6. But I find it so hard to start running again after doing the walk because I still get a little pain. I did an 8 mile on Saturday and I did two laps walking for a warm up and then started my watch and began running. I figured I'd stop and walk/water after three miles. As I got further and further into my run I felt good but got scared that I wouldn't be able to start running again after walking so I just kept going! I ran the whole darn thing even though I didn't mean to! And for some reason, it all felt pretty good after the first three. But I'll take that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
It usually takes me only a mile before I can get into a groove, but I've been doing intervals for quite a while. However, I used to do 1 mile intervals, walk for 1 minute, so I wasn't stopping and starting so often. Since I have been getting back into the swing of things from being off most of the summer, I switched to half mile intervals and I'm pretty happy with that right now. It might just take some getting used to.
Thanks ladies! I guess I'm doing it right then if it's the same for everyone. I think what I will try next time is running a mile or 2 and then intervals and see if that works better, worse or the same I just hate the thought of wasting precious time that I could be standing in line for pictures!!!

Quote:
Another Princess here debating the rest of my training plan. Right now my long runs look like this:

I have serious concerns about those back-to-back long run weeks followed by a 10K race. The last two back-to-back long weeks totaled me; my muscles simply stopped recovering altogether and I've been exhausted ever since. Now, much of that is due to an auto-immune issue that's flaring up big-time due to stress, but that means I need even more rest to battle it. So I'm thinking this is a better bet:
I think your revised plan looks a little more doable given everything going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis-happy View Post
I was at the outdoor track yesterday, to get my 11 miles in. It's a half mile loop. The third time around I noticed the water bottles which dh and I left by the fence had disappeared! Really! So annoyed. We had written our initials on top, so it's not like they looked as if they belonged to nobody.
What is wrong with people!?!?!?!

Quote:
I don't believe the pace groups (if they have them this year; there was chatter that they would not) do intervals. I just look at my watch for my timing, but as I'm sure you are getting from a lot of others, there are tons of apps that you can set. However, that would require you to keep the phone out of the spibelt, b/c there is a whole lot of beeping going on at this race!
Yeah, I have apps but I was hoping to not have to keep my phone out. Hmmm, may need to use the mile markers or something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
I asked Clifs and they said no pace groups at the halves- only able to support marathons right now (fulls)

So I don't think there will be official pace groups

Now unofficial groups may have pacers you could follow. My online running group had pacers at marathon weekend and they said they nailed their pace. But the groups would stop for pics, then go sprinting when needed to make up pace- so they weren't like normal pace groups. Still finished in their times with pics but were not doing a steady 12 min mile for example.

Oooh, this is what I need!!! I'm willing to haul tutu when needed if it means getting all the pics I want.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #1181
JDBlair
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post
Good luck at Tink ! Loved reading your blog on your Disneyland race...good inspiration for us newbies!
Thank you, on both counts. Will Princess be your first half marathon?

Future runDisney races:
Dumbo Double Dare Challenge August 2014

Follow me as I train for these races!

Previous runDisney race recaps:
Princess Half February 2013
Tinker Bell Half January 2013
Disneyland Half 9-2-12
Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #1182
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBlair View Post
Thank you, on both counts. Will Princess be your first half marathon?
I'm calling it my first official half since I am doing a "practice half" on 27 Jan here in San Antonio....really nervous about both !
Old 01-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #1183
Ariel224
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I just look at my watch for my timing, but as I'm sure you are getting from a lot of others, there are tons of apps that you can set. However, that would require you to keep the phone out of the spibelt, b/c there is a whole lot of beeping going on at this race!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post

Yeah, I have apps but I was hoping to not have to keep my phone out. Hmmm, may need to use the mile markers or something else.
Sorry to invade your thread (not running PHM this year due to living on the "wrong" coast). I was just wondering what apps you are using that require you to have your phone out of the belt. RunDouble and the pro versions of both Endomondo and Runtastic all have fully customizable voice coaches. I do 4:1 run/walk by setting the app to give me a verbal notification of overall distance and interval pace every 5 minutes. When I get the notification, I glance at the chronometer on my watch and walk for 1 minute, then pick up and run the remaining 4 minutes until I get the next notification from my phone. I wear one ear bud so that only I can hear it, and never have to touch my phone. I know runDisney discourages the use of music players, but if one isn't actually listening to music, is the use of ear buds still frowned upon? I'm just trying to understand what is and isn't acceptable (and adjust accordingly) before I run the Disneyland Half later this year.

Disneyland November 2-5, 2009; November 11-21, 2010; November 7-11, 2011
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean November 10-17, 2012
Old 01-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #1184
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel224

Sorry to invade your thread (not running PHM this year due to living on the "wrong" coast). I was just wondering what apps you are using that require you to have your phone out of the belt. RunDouble and the pro versions of both Endomondo and Runtastic all have fully customizable voice coaches. I do 4:1 run/walk by setting the app to give me a verbal notification of overall distance and interval pace every 5 minutes. When I get the notification, I glance at the chronometer on my watch and walk for 1 minute, then pick up and run the remaining 4 minutes until I get the next notification from my phone. I wear one ear bud so that only I can hear it, and never have to touch my phone. I know runDisney discourages the use of music players, but if one isn't actually listening to music, is the use of ear buds still frowned upon? I'm just trying to understand what is and isn't acceptable (and adjust accordingly) before I run the Disneyland Half later this year.
I don't use the voice on any app and do listen to music. So, silly as it sounds, I run with my ear buds plugged into my iPod Shuffle (music only tiny thing that clips on your shirt or belt or whatever) and my phone out using RunKeeper for outside or stopwatch for inside. I don't wear a watch. I don't have any problems running with my phone in my hand and glancing at it occasionally. But I won't be able to do that and carry a camera.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #1185
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Double post

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: