Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #1066
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post
Hubby and I did our very, very first 10 miles together and managed a 13:24 per mile pace with LOTS of walking. Took a mile for my shins to warm up and then my knee started hurting a tad. Really humid this morning in San Antonio so I can see needing tons more water to hydrate the day before and race day. And needing more than the one shot block I had !

Had my snazzy CW-X stability tights on today and MAN... Did it make recovery sooo much better. Well worth the money...thanks for the insight Princess V !

Best wishes to those running the Tink ! Would love to hear about the experience and how you think it will make Yor PHM race.
Great job on your 10 miles !!!

Can't wait for Tink !!! My light up Tink wings are packed and ready to go. If it is half the fun it was last year it's going to be a great race.
I'm using Tink as a really long run and to just keep my training up for Princess.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #1067
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post
Anyone ever try running with a wig? I'm trying to decide whether to run in a Merida costume. I have a Northface running skirt and tank that are the perfect color and found $1 knee socks at Target (thanks for the idea Tinkeramy!) that match to use as arm sleeves. Question is whether I put on my daughter's Merida wig and a soft woven brown belt.... or just forget about a costume and go for comfort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPrincess View Post
I don't think the costume has to hinge on whether you wear the wig. I know her hair color is one of her most striking features but I'm pretty sure there's been blonde snow whites and brunette cinderellas before. So if you don't want to wear the wig I think the rest of the costume will be enough. If you want to wear it, test it out on a run to see how you feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaxton1118 View Post
I will be a blonde Jasmine. I stressed over the fact I don't have the right hair color but I had to get over it- well actually I am still trying to get over it. Haha. I don't think I could wear a wig. It would be off 5 mins later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinascreative View Post
I'm a blond Ariel. There's no way I could do a wig. I've been stressing too...to the point of thinking of the color hairspray. I'm pretty sure that would run all over once I start sweating so I'm just going as/is
If only we could switch hair for the day. I have long curly red hair and am dressing as Tink. My DS7 says to me "Mom, that costume's great but you're missing yelow hair." Leave it to a child to point out the one thing I was hoping no one would notice. I considered dressing like Merida because I already have the hair, but I opted for Tink this time. DOH!!

I'd run a 5K in a wig without batting an eyelash, but not sure about 13.1. I think it would start to annoy me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post
Hubby and I did our very, very first 10 miles together and managed a 13:24 per mile pace with LOTS of walking. Took a mile for my shins to warm up and then my knee started hurting a tad.
Well done!!!!!!

I am going to do my trial costume run tomorrow. We're it the low 50's here today and supposed to be again tomorrow and then back down Sunday. Now or never!!!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #1068
JoyaDelMar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV
I had to cut way back to :30run/1:30walk intervals for a while returning form injury, but I like a nice 1:00/1:00 race interval, too. Will you be in people's way? Yep. But many others will be in your way. Disney races are just crowded like that so don't sweat it. To me, Disney races feel a lot more like driving a car than running; my peripheral vision is busy-busy and I check over my shoulder a lot to see who's coming up behind me, as well as a strong focus on the course ahead. You'll be among all manner of different intervals, so lots and lots of folks slowing up and speeding up. It's fun and neat when you discover your intervals have synced with someone next to or in front of you for a couple miles!
Thanks so much for your advice and all the kind words from everyone else. It really helps me with feeling better about the race and how prepared I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwaitvaca09
What is a good Ear Bud for running. Without speding a ton.
I don't have an IPOD,
I just use an MP3 Player. The ones I have are Sony brand and they suck.
I had my MP3 player in my pocket while cleaning the house yesterday
if I hit where they plug into the MP3 play the one ear would go out.
Thanks for your help ladies.
A second vote for YurBuds. I got a pair a few months ago and am in love. They're the best earbuds I've ever used - and I'm pretty rough on my iPod!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Upcoming in 2013: 5th Anniversary Princess Half Marathon // 2012: WDW Trip - First Time on the Dining Plan, DCL Dream 3-Night Bahamas February 9, TLCC Post-Conference Trip to Disneyland, DCL Fantasy 7-Night Eastern Caribbean September 8 // 2011: TLCC Conference @ Bonnet Creek, DCL Magic 7-Night Western Caribbean October 1 (Anniversary Trip!) // 2010: Birthday Trip to MK and HS // 2009: DCL Wonder 3-Night February 12, Christmas Eve in Hollywood // 2008: Spring Break 08 - Pirate and Princess Party // 2007: Scurvy in the New Year, CM Surprise, Best Friend Park Hopping, Holidays Around The World // 2006: BF's Pop Century, Spring Break 06 - Mead Summer Sizzler, Family Xmas @ DD // 2005: BF's August Album // 2000 - 2004: Park Hopping with Sophie (x10), Weekends with the Family (x4) // 1997 - 2000: Youth Group Retreat @ WDW, Night of Joy 1999, FW Camping with Friends // 1992 - 1997: Weekends with the Family (x6), Dad's Kingdom '96, // 1992: 1st Trip to WDW! // 1989: 1st Trip to Disneyland!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:53 AM   #1069
Jlinrota
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherekhan View Post
We're at the Poly so maybe we'll see each other stuffing our faces there if I don't make it to the extra magic hours. We'll see how much I love my children the morning after.

Doooo the 5K! I'm the kind of person that wears 3 or 4 costumes over a Halloween weekend for different events, so I'm glad to get to do a character for the 5K and wear a sparkle skirt for the Half.
Yay! I made our breakfast reservations for the Kona Cafe after the race too! All of that talk about the pancakes got me excited. I am so excited for my first Disney Princess run!!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 03:01 AM   #1070
Jlinrota
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwaitvaca09 View Post
There is a ton of stuff after the finish, you can pay $10 for a 10 min massage
you can buy tshirts, get your medal ingraved, there is a dj.

My goup does not stay at the finish too long, we do the massage and head to the car and back to the resort.
Thank you for letting me know about the messages. I will get one for sure. So, I need to make sure I have money for my medal to be engraved and for my message! What time does everyone usally leave the race. I have breakfast reservations at 10:40. Do you think this is enough time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
I've had that same thought about Sparkle Skirts...I've checked them out at the expos and they practically come to my knees So, Team Sparkle it is. I even ordered one for Tink today too...the skirt/tutu I had made for that one isn't working out either. That one only cost me about half of what the other one did, so I'm not TOO torn about it, but knowing that I'm probably not going to wear either one now, plus bought 2 new Team Sparkle skirts to wear... Trying not to do the math. I think I've learned my lesson once and for all.

LOL! I don't think we're looking to do ToT again just yet. If we go down for F&W again this year, it'll probably be closer to the end of October and most likely solely for F&W...though I'd love to do W&D again...if they would just move it up a week. I HATE that it's the last weekend of the festival now...I can't walk around and eat all that deliciousness and THEN run a half...that's just backwards!
I just ordered a team sparkle skirt that makes two coming in a red polka dot for mini mouse and a teal for Princess Jasmine. I am only running one race and have two running outfits that I am putting together. What is a girl to do?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #1071
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run

If only we could switch hair for the day. I have long curly red hair and am dressing as Tink. My DS7 says to me "Mom, that costume's great but you're missing yelow hair." Leave it to a child to point out the one thing I was hoping no one would notice. I considered dressing like Merida because I already have the hair, but I opted for Tink this time. DOH!!
I have long strawberry blonde hair and wanted to go as rapunzel, then switched to Merida, now I'm just a generic pirate princess because my running friends wanted to do a group theme. Haha so I still have a Merida crown I'm going to wear just cuz it goes with my hair!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #1072
MizBrix
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellanotte10

I have long strawberry blonde hair and wanted to go as rapunzel, then switched to Merida, now I'm just a generic pirate princess because my running friends wanted to do a group theme. Haha so I still have a Merida crown I'm going to wear just cuz it goes with my hair!
I have long curly red hair too. For lack of creativity (and at the insistence of my DD4), I will blow out my hair and run as Ariel! Trying out my nude-colored tank tomorrow (I'm attaching purple fabric shells to bust).
Old 01-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #1073
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

Sounds like things are looking up for most of the Princesses with injuries and illnesses? Glad so many have some warm weather this weekend to try out costumes. I don't think the warm weather is working out so well for Marathon Weekend down in Orlando this weekend, however.

I am still having a bit of an issue with my leg due to a pinched nerve. After a bad workout on Tuesday I have decided to end my Tink training and just get to the start as healthy as possible next week. Hopefully I will be able to do some training after the Tink leading up to Princess.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #1074
DISNEYFOS
DIS Veteran

Hi All, I was hoping to get some advice. This will be my first 1/2. I think I'm ready but I've got some questions.

Is the course hilly? I know inside the parks isn't..but the other spots I'm worried about. I mostly run on bike paths and treadmill so hills are not my thing. I just did a 5K where the first mile was completely uphill and I thought I was going to die.

For distance, I've gotten up to 11/12 miles. I hope to do a couple of 14 mile runs before the race but they will be treadmill runs because I'm in NE. I should be good right? my pace is typically around 12:00

Last question...We are combining this trip with the kids school vacation..so it means I'll be walking all over the parks BEFORE the race weekend. I typically do Disney in flipflops but my legs are tired by the end of the trip. I don't really want to use my running shoes all week...what do you all recommend for park shoes. I'm thinking of trying out the ABEO sandals.. Does anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.thewalkingcompany.com/abe...l-pewter/27181

Thanks in advance... and thanks for the all the advice in this thread..its really been helpful to read thru the tips.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #1075
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Not hilly at all- and this is from someone who is a HILL HATER.

There is a hill around mile 4 by the contemporary. Just a down and back up- not horrible, but the steepest you will find on the course. That's really it.

The others are over pass inclines. I call them hills- but most of my fellow runners laugh like mad women when I say that! There is one clover leaf onramp at mile 10 that causes some Princesses concern- It's just a long loop that goes up hill. The hill isn't terrible but the slope of the rode is hard on joints. After that there's about 3 incline type hills you run up and over on the highway. They are not steep or anything.

The last one takes a right hand turn up and over into the Epcot parking lot. It's around mile 11.5 Once you get over that- you are golden!

Over all, a very flat race and I'd think a fast one if you could get out of the crowd early. I'm part of the crowd- lol- so I wouldn't know.

Your mileage is fine! As long as you do 10-12 I think you are TOTALLY prepared for the race.

No suggestion on shoes- personally, my legs and FEET cannot taking walking all week at the parks + the half.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 01-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #1076
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYFOS
Hi All, I was hoping to get some advice. This will be my first 1/2. I think I'm ready but I've got some questions.

Is the course hilly? I know inside the parks isn't..but the other spots I'm worried about. I mostly run on bike paths and treadmill so hills are not my thing. I just did a 5K where the first mile was completely uphill and I thought I was going to die.

For distance, I've gotten up to 11/12 miles. I hope to do a couple of 14 mile runs before the race but they will be treadmill runs because I'm in NE. I should be good right? my pace is typically around 12:00

Last question...We are combining this trip with the kids school vacation..so it means I'll be walking all over the parks BEFORE the race weekend. I typically do Disney in flipflops but my legs are tired by the end of the trip. I don't really want to use my running shoes all week...what do you all recommend for park shoes. I'm thinking of trying out the ABEO sandals.. Does anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.thewalkingcompany.com/abe...l-pewter/27181

Thanks in advance... and thanks for the all the advice in this thread..its really been helpful to read thru the tips.
Take a look at www.yoursole.com and look for the 'Womens Sport Flips there.' I recently ordered a pair when I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and they are amazing. They are designed for support, sport recovery and pain relief. My foot pain honestly feels 90% better when I'm having a flare up and put them on. I've not walked the parks all day in them, but I know they are a great shoe...beyond a regular, everyday, plastic flip flop for sure. They have really great support in them. They may work good for you. I'm in love with them!

Old 01-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #1077
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

As far as walking the parks is concerned, my recommendation would be an old pair of running shoes. No way would I wear any kind of sandals for lots of walking in the days before a long race. But after, bring on the flip flops! I'm also not quite as fast as you.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #1078
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYFOS View Post

I haven't run this particular 1/2, but the Disney full marthon was flat, flat, flat with the exception of a few on-ramps. I'm expecting a nice flat course. Any dissenting opinions?

I'd wear those running shoes all week. Why take chances? Of course, I may be the least fashionable princess on this thread. Maybe the Bee Cause charms can glam them up?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #1079
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellanotte10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizBrix View Post
I have long curly red hair too. For lack of creativity (and at the insistence of my DD4), I will blow out my hair and run as Ariel! Trying out my nude-colored tank tomorrow (I'm attaching purple fabric shells to bust).
I will fit the hair profile this year! Last 2 years I was Tink; this year my mousy brown hair will be perfect for Belle! Was thinking Aurora, but have to admit that the hair was a consideration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYFOS View Post

Oh, my gosh - you are perfectly trained! That is a great pace and you've clearly got the endurance. This will allow you plenty of time for pictures, if you choose, and to make it through with no problems. Good job!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 01-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #1080
lifeasmum
Earning My Ears

I'm so excited that Google led me to this board and this thread! I'm new to Disboards and RunDisney. I've always wanted to do the Princess 1/2, but I never thought that I could. In November I finally decided that I was going to do it, come what may, but registration was already filled. I will be doing the Princess 1/2 in 2014, and I'll be watching the board for the new official thread.

I'll be rooting each of you ladies on next month! I've read through this thread (and as much as I could of the first thread) and I've learned so much! Look for me on the 2014 thread, and good luck!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: